online academy....anyone care to share experiences?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by mum4jenn, Oct 20, 2012.

1. mum4jenn

mum4jenn <font color=purple>My dd is the love of my life!!<

My daughter is being sexually harassed by another female student. They are both in 9 th grade. They have one class together(an elective). The school can't or won't do anything. My daughter is scared of this girl and is so upset .
    We are looking at Georgia Online academy and Georgia Connections Academy at a possibility for her. Just starting to get info. Daughter is taking all Honor's classes and her electives are geared towards law....speech and debate...and journalism.

Please share your experiences with this education. She will attend college after graduation.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. luvmy3

luvmy3 <font color=green>When I drink I find its easier t

Your dd is being sexually harassed in school by another student and the school isn't doing anything? That is really awful, have you taken your dd's issue above the school to the Superintendent?

4. jlewisinsyr

jlewisinsyr DIS Veteran

Running doesn't correct the problem. If this is not being addressed, then you need to flat out call the police and have an investigation started. This is NOT acceptable.

5. clm10308

clm10308 DIS Veteran

It is horrible that any child is scared to attend school, but I do know that it happens.

I taught at a Connections Academy school for two years. I only did elem and mid school, but I can answer some of your general questions.

What I do know about CA High School is that the classes are actually less flexible is scheduling than the elem and mid school classes. Students are supposed to attend set online meetings for each course. Depending on your stat program,CA does offer advanced/AP level courses. Elective courses will also vary depending on your specific school, and there are a variety of clubs offered.

6. ladypage

ladypage <font color=royalblue>And that's how the story abo

You need to go to the school board, and if that doesn't help, the police.

I did online schooling for my last semester (from a reputable online school with my brick and mortar school), and I truly regret it. One of the problems I faced was college. The classes were exactly the same, and we followed the same curriculum, but colleges looked at it as lesser. As hard as I tried, I lost touch with my friends, and I didn't get to partake in some cool school activities. I know quite a few people who did the same thing, and the majority of them feel the same way.

7. handinpocket

handinpocket DIS Veteran

I have several friends that have their children in K-12 online school in Georgia, they love it. I know several teachers that teach in it and some of the administrators, it is just a wonderful alternative to traditional school. :thumbsup2

8. mum4jenn

mum4jenn <font color=purple>My dd is the love of my life!!<

I have talked to the Principal...the second in command with the school board...the police and it has been a difficult process.
    This school system while it is the best around they tend to sweep things under the rug so as to not have any negative press. I work for the system also and my job has already been slightly threatened. For the longest I was getting no response...or at least not quickly. The school resource officer came to talk to me and the first statement he made was that sexual harassment is between a supervisor and an employee....so I knew then that I had an uphill climb.

I even requested a meeting with the other parents but the school refuses.

My daughter was texting me to come get her from school because she was dizzy and felt sick. Took her to her doctor and after hearing about all of this he diagnosed her with anxiety and is on medication. He checked her for a couple of other things to rule out anything else. Her doctor was great and showed more concern then anyone in the school.

9. SandrA9810

SandrA9810 DIS Veteran

Have you looked into dual enrollment with the local community college? It would allow her to leave school early and more than likely finish with her AA when she gets a HS diploma. Law takes enough years as it is, might as well get a jump start on it.

What about just doing home schooling? There's many home schooling groups that get together to create more of a class setting than just individual learning.

10. cornflake

cornflake DIS Veteran

Technically, sexual harassment does involve both a workplace and an imbalance of power, so the guy probably wasn't exactly wrong, but he was kind of beside the point. I agree leaving isn't the answer - obviously your daughter doesn't want to go to school but she shouldn't end up with consequences from this, nor should the other girl get away with it or the school be able to ignore it.

If the school is afraid of bad publicity - that's your answer, imo.

Call a lawyer and call the media.

I don't know that anyone has tried suing a school under a student-on-student CRA violation, or if it'd have any shot at working, but I'd bet there's a lawyer who might try it.

I also bet there's some media outlet someplace near you, or better yet, a wire, that will be interested.

Try the lawyer first, you may be able to find one who will help you pro bono - I'd call the local ACLU and ask if they could help under Title IX or CRA or something, or, if they can't, if they know someone who might.

If not, try a publicity-loving atty.

If you snag one, tell him or her to go bananas - send threatening letters and cc every media outlet in a 200-mile radius, including the wires.

If you don't snag one pretty quickly, go the media route yourself. You're likely better off going very public if your job is already being subtly threatened.

11. Mrs.Malone

Mrs.Malone DIS Veteran

Your poor DD. :sad1:

Everyone is saying running isn't the answer. But I have to think of the cases we've been hearing about lately where the child remained in a bad situation and truly suffered, even to the point of suicide (not that your DD is headed that direction! But she is suffering). When we hear those stories we all ask, "why didn't the parents just get their child out of the situation? Why did those bad parents allow their child to keep on being exposed to the bully?" Maybe running isn't a permanent answer, but leaving the child in the bad environment--even while you're working on a solution--isn't a good idea.

I say go to the press, a lawyer, whoever you need to, but in the meantime get DD out of the situation immediately. Talk to a homeschooling group in your area and they can give you advice.

12. Bilberry

Bilberry DIS Veteran

I do not have direct experience myself with online schools. I do have a nephew living in Missouri that has taken onlines classes, and found them helpful with his education. My sister was happy with how the learning went.

The item I recall reading about Georgia schools recently was the very high drop out rate. Seems due to manipulation of statistics in the past, Georgia appeared to have good graduation rates. Now, with new rules, Georgia has some of the worst graduate percentages in the nation.

If your daughter is being sexually harassed by another student, possibly for reporting reasons the school might not want this on their record. I'm not sure why that would be, but possibly that is why officials are dragging their feet on helping resolve the situation.

"Georgia Schools Deceive on Dropout Stats"

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/08/23/georgia-schools-deceive-on-dropout-stats/

excerpt from the article:

13. Kathi OD

Kathi OD <marquee><font color=blue>The first person to repl

At the very least you should be speaking with a lawyer, regardless of whether your daughter remains at her current school or not.

Your school district is legally obligated to investigate and address the situation. Regardless of what the school resource officer told you, and what others here may think, sexual harassment is not just between an employer and employee. When students are involved, it is considered a form of bullying and falls under your state's anti-bullying laws.

From http://www.stopbullying.gov/laws/index.html (federal guidelines):
    Specifically related to Georgia:

Additionally, if someone begins to harass you at your job because of this issue, it is a violation of your civil rights as well.

The website referenced has much more information when you click on the Georgia link, including basics on how the district should investigate and respond to a complaint.

14. chiefmickeymouse

chiefmickeymouse Sarcastic, silly and socially awkward

I'll just address your question and leave the bullying part of it to the other posts. My DS (grade 10) is currently doing the K12 curriculum through Oklahoma Online Academy. Previously, he did Connections Academy for two years. The differences are as follows:

Live Lesson Attendance:
    This varies by state. Some states have requirements that are imposed by the state, not the school.

Connections: You are required to maintain contact with teachers every two weeks. Either attend a Live Lesson, or call a teacher.

K12: You are required to attend one Class Connect a week per core class. This can be watching a video so you don't have to be there at the time the class takes place.

Web Site, ease of use:
    Connections: Web site is far superior to K12. Pretty well organized and easier to follow.

K12: Holy crap. Very difficult to follow. The calendars aren't updated so you have to check each individual classes "to do" list. There isn't anywhere to go and see what needs to be done all in one place.

Curriculum:

I'll just say Connections is harder. They seem to write their tests assuming the kids will cheat and look things up. I've looked at some of the questions (particularly in Social Studies and Science) and they are so obscure you would have to be using the book to get them right.

K12 uses software to keep you from looking things up on line.

Honors Classes: K12 doesn't weight honors classes. If you get an A, it's 4 points and not 5. Connections weighs their grades. DS has done honors classes in both. Not many kids take honors classes at K12 because it doesn't really pay off, except for maybe getting into AP classes later.

All in all I'd say I like the K12 curriculum better, and the Connections website better. The teachers in both have too many kids to really provide any personal teaching or help.

I hope this helps. All of this info. pertains to HS only. We have used Connections for grades 3 - 5 for DD and it is totally different.

15. JoiseyMom

JoiseyMom <font color=orange>Have you had your SPANX today??

I would be contacting an attorney. I wouldn't care about my job, I would talk to the attorney about that also. They are trying to scare and intimidate you. Talk to your union rep about your job.

My DD was being sexually harrassed by boys at her middle school. We got it resolved at the school by the administration, but there was almost a fight between my DH and the administrator who wanted to make sure that DD didn't do anything to provoke the behavior :sad2:. We got it taken care of, the boys admitted what they did and DD was protected. If the boys continued their behavior they wouldn't have graduated. As parents we wouldn't have accepted anything less then our DD being protected.

FIGHT THEM!

16. sookie

sookie DIS Veteran

I would try to keep her in and fight this tooth and nail. She deserves the high school experience. If not, then maybe a private school. However, if she is looking towards a law degree, there are some colleges that are offering high school curriculum. Yes, it will cost you - but it is geared for gifted students or students that are traveling.

In the midwest, some of our universities both offered courses / high school graduation degrees for students if you wanted to pull her. Maybe GA has something the same.

17. horseshowmom

horseshowmom DIS Veteran

I agree about the attorney. If they should try to fire you afterwards, they're leaving themselves wide open. I live in a small, rural school district here in the south, and I know how things can go, but I also know that no school district wants to deal with a lawsuit.

Have you documented what has taken place and what steps you've taken to attempt to address it? Make sure you document everything.

That said, my daughter homeschooled, had a great time, and is now a pharmacist. You don't have to be "in school" to do well or to enjoy the high school years, and nobody should be miserable.