ONE YEAR of WDW starts NOW! Nov. 2015 WDW trip & beyond! Now with JANUARY & MAY!

I am here!!! Oh how i just love AoA!! just a fun resort! thankfully you did NOT capture us in the pool.. HA HA HA!
the Burgers look delish! Beirgarten! OH MY HAPPINESS! Sorry you sat with some tarts! ya know we sat with some non-adventurous people too... boo on them!
It's funny my sister and i were just talking about going to a dueling piano bar!!! Neither one of us have ever been!

Can't wait to read more.

Hi all! Sorry for the hiatus. Between the holidays and then our Disney trip in January, I completely slacked off, I admit it. But now I'm back and ready to share the rest of November and our January trip with everyone. A quick note...January was SOOOOO much better than November in terms of crowds. At one point, I walked up to MK and had every single bag check guard completely empty and waiting for someone to come up. Quite the difference from November. Both trips were great, but I think there is something about quick trips last leaves me more satisfied because I know I am not going to get to everything, so I don't put so much pressure on myself to squeeze everything in. If that makes sense. In any case, lots of exciting stuff coming up, if I do say so myself. :) Don't be afraid to call me out if you see me slacking off again! Our next trip is in May, so I better get all this reporting done way before then!!! :flower3:

The timing of these posts are modeled on the construction time for New Fantasyland. :love2:

Monday, Monday

So, I forgot to mention that during our stop in Epcot the previous day, we got started on our stamps for our free* port wine glasses that AP holders could get during F&W. (*I say free when all it cost was to buy an annual pass.) You just had to get three days worth of stamps before you got your lovely glasses, so of course, I was determined to get them! I wanted to take advantage of as many AP perks as possible.

In any case, today was our day to start Food & Wine booths as we thought Monday might be the least crowded day of that week. But first, laundry.

Yes, that’s right, laundry. You see, being November novices, we were concerned about cold weather during our trip. So much that we massively overpacked on the cold weather gear, such as jeans. Nigel decided to do some quick laundry this morning so that he could have shorts to last through the rather hot November weather we were experiencing.

22557750564_a5161d530a_z.jpg

After I slept through laundry, we got up and headed where? Magic Kingdom! I know, I said F&W, but we had a stop first. Once again, we grabbed a bus, and headed off to Magic Kingdom, second morning in a row. Someone needed to get a haircut. I think this is the third(?) time that Nigel has gotten his haircut at Harmony Barbershop. We just always enjoy it. We’ve never had a problem just walking in for an appointment luckily.

23534107853_3d5ae600dc.jpg
24052812812_15f8a78ec8.jpg

Freshly coiffed, we set off for Epcot. Since we were having a leisurely morning, we waited for the Ferry to get to the TTC.

24078285191_b90830f7fd_z.jpg

Once at Epcot, I believe we stopped and got our second stamp toward our F&W wine glasses and then went toward the booths. We were still running a bit early, but wanted to be able to get a jump start as soon as the booths opened at 11 am. We decided to start our day at the Dominican Republic booth. The DR booth was really nice. They had a shaded area with tables, so we waited about 10 minutes until opening. And then Yuca Souffle!

22559182933_5647bb5a19.jpg

24052818562_32ee2c120f_m.jpg

It was really good! A great first stop! From there, we decided to move counter-clockwise toward Canada. And honestly, sorry Greece, but we were really not interested in Vegan Moussaka or boring salad in a cone. We moved straight on to Ireland…and dessert.

Warm Chocolate Pudding with Kerrygold Irish Cream Liqueur Custard.

23160068486_7889b9943f_b.jpg

24160902335_642918cf40_z.jpg

And next, France with Beef Bourguignon – braised short ribs in cabernet sauvignon with mashed potatoes.

23865272150_8ce76fd07f_m.jpg

24160904495_c1b4af9b7a_z.jpg

Honestly, I think this was our number one. We both really enjoyed this dish. We really did not have anything bad, but this was just the best.

Now time for Brazil and some alcohol! We grabbed the Pork Belly with Black Beans and a Frozen Caipirinha, which was delicious! Especially since it was getting pretty warm in the World Showcase. The frozen drink was very welcome.

23793099379_451f92ce48_z.jpg
23532699464_9f2f9161fe_z.jpg

Another winner!

Next up was Belgium and the Potato and Leek Waffle with beer-braised beef and smoked gouda cream. I also got the Plm Speciale Belge Amber Ale for Nigel as I was still enjoying the Caipirinha.

24052832242_528b4198b7_z.jpg

Yummy!

Next up, Morocco and Japan

24134807536_a57ff6d404_m.jpg
24160917425_b07bf779e3_m.jpg

And then our beer flight with beef slider with Pimento Cheese.

23793108599_52a249bf75_z.jpg

23865286390_6aff38b45e_z.jpg

24078310441_0f729d5bbf_z.jpg

The beer flight was pretty good!
It was a little after Noon and World Showcase was filling up, so we walked on instead of standing in more lines. Plus, you know, we had just eaten a fair amount of food!

Monday – continued

So after barreling through 8 F&W kiosks, we decided to do some browsing. We went through the store in Japan, which took awhile because that place is huge! While there, we browsed around the Sake area and decided to get Xmas presents for Nigel’s sister and her boyfriend since we knew they liked Sake. Unfortunately, I didn’t take any pictures of the presents, but we got them a really cute Sake set with small pitcher and 4 cups and four different types of Sake. We learned that the Japan store could not send our package to the resort, but they would send it to the front of the park for pick up later. So, that's what we did since we certainly weren’t carrying that around World Showcase!

I know we stopped in Germany to browse since we normally do, but again, I must have been in a food coma because I have no pictures. Oh, I did snag a pic of Snow White meeting.

23186145795_eb8e0ddd2c.jpg

But we all know where we are going to end up, right? La Cava del Tequila! Our favorite bar stop in World Showcase. We have always been pretty lucky in snagging a table here as well, even during the busy times. Probably because it is fairly small so they have more tables for 2 than most places. So, we walked up and even though there was a line for the bar area, we only waited a few minutes before they sent us back to a table for two.

24069795404_de1e2f15be_m.jpg

24330287989_f76ae30f11_m.jpg

Of course, we got the tequila sampler with Blanco, Reposada and Anejo. But, I also saw a special drink on the menu.

24069795914_7fd7c7b3ab_m.jpg

In honor of our fallen brother, the Maelstrom margarita!!! Well, of course, I had to get that! The habanero peppers didn’t scare me off as I can handle heat fairly well, and I have ordered habanero lime margaritas at Disney resort bars before.

23532718544_e21d4f3ffb_m.jpg

Well, I am here to tell you, the Maelstrom is serious about its spiciness. I don’t know what it was, but I could literally taste the spiciness in every sip, and it was just a bit too much for me. I had to beg Nigel to help out because there was no way I was going to finish it by myself. So, lesson learned, stick to straight tequila from now on! (I kid, I kid! I love margaritas.)

While hanging out in La Cava, I looked up the FP+ situation since we had not made any for this day. It was pretty slim pickings, especially for something in the next hour or two. After playing around, I did manage to snag a Living with the Land FP that started in the next hour. So, weird quirk happened with FP+. Since we had not scheduled any yet for this day, it was giving me the different options all of which had 3 FP+ in them. Except, it also offered me Option D which gave me only ONE FP+ for Living with the Land at the time I wanted. I just thought that was weird. I booked it, but looking back, I probably could have just booked one of the other options with 3 FPs and then gone back to edit the times. Because after the FP for LwtL, I tried to go back on the app and see if it would let me get two other ones since we had only used one, and nope! It was saying I used up all my FPs and I had to go to a kiosk. No big deal since we weren’t planning to stick around too long, but interesting to note.

Oh wait! On our way to Future World, we passed the New Zealand booth with no line! So, of course, we had to stop for the Lamb Meatball! Sorry, we dug in before getting a nice non-eaten pic. It was just as good as we remembered from two years ago, so we were glad we did the repeat.

24069798894_61d39c559a_m.jpg

We used the rose garden path and meandered past the Imagination Pavillion where we found a photopass photographer with no line! So, we grabbed pics, and I just have to say that these were probably my favorite pics of us from this trip. So sorry for the narcissistic overshare, but here you go!

24160933085_aaba06ff08_m.jpg
24134829686_5ed1e4c8ca_z.jpg
24134831406_049f7b5fbc_z.jpg
24160939565_7d93d26d5e_z.jpg
24604449721_863226acf2_m.jpg

Oh, apparently we also hit Scotland for their haggis since that is coming up in my pics. This was probably before the above pics.

24580793502_dcacf2c5cc_z.jpg

So, in 2013 we tried the vegetarian haggis, but it was apparently the real deal this year. We had actually watched a program not that long ago on cable TV that explained what haggis really contained. To be short and sweet, there are lung parts and other leftovers in the haggis. It actually wasn't that bad.

It looks from pics like we also hit the Wine and Cheese booths before we got to the Imagination Pavillion.

24580793532_fe24d60f1d_z.jpg

The cheeses and wines were very good. Now onto the land..

24330887689_922b586df4_z.jpg

After jumping on Living with the Land, we decided to head back to the resort for the afternoon. Why? Because Nigel is basically obsessed with pool time. For me, I could probably take or leave the pool, especially when there are Disney parks waiting for me. But Nigel loves swimming, so I usually go along with a minimum of grumbling.

24403032030_fd88322316_c.jpg

24330888299_1f9cf0f5a2_c.jpg
24605048661_5f3d62d8ba_c.jpg

Since we had tried out the Big Blue Pool and its underwater music yesterday, we decided to check out the Little Mermaid pool since that was where our room was located. It was nice, and not really crowded at all. And it was a great day to swim since the hot temperatures were still going strong.

After swimming and getting refreshed, we hit the road again. Any guesses? If you said Magic Kingdom, winner winner chicken dinner. You might want to keep track because we were apparently MK-obsessed this trip.

First order of business? Mickey ice cream bar!

24069804684_8ecfb496ce_z.jpg

24402433330_5febb5d908_z.jpg

24580200562_5691a0ef97_z.jpg

Also, a visit to our favorite Chief.

24402434670_edfdd1f297_z.jpg

We arrived in time to find a spot along the hub area to see Elsa light up the castle, which was cute. I think I actually gasped when the lights came on, cause I’m a dork like that, but it was really cool. It did start to sprinkle a little while we were waiting but not enough for poncho deployment, just enough to be slightly annoying.

24605047001_9a77e7cf7c_z.jpg

24698565475_5dedbda85a_z.jpg

After the lighting, we headed to Adventureland because we had to see our favorite Tiki birds. Grabbed some seats in the back and enjoyed the show.

24330296219_76d44f6e60_z.jpg
24403032670_9cf1ebcdb9_z.jpg

After tiki time, we went to the FP kiosks next to Jungle Cruise and got FP for Jingle Cruise! We were excited to see the differences for the holiday. Sadly, we were in the back of the boat, and the skipper’s radio was not the best, so I think we missed some jokes, but we did hear some new ones and enjoyed it as usual.

24604453101_b241c77a43_z.jpg

After exiting, we went right back to the kiosk and got Haunted Mansion FP. I should mention, for both of these FPs, the times were immediate, we didn’t have much wait at all. The Jungle Cruise was 6:45 pm and Haunted Mansion started at 7:55 pm.

Instead of heading right over to HM, we decided to grab dinner first at Pecos Bills. We thought we’d check out the new menu. And bam, crowds.

24067790373_0fcb0925d9_c.jpg

It was so crowded!!! And the food took a long time. Everybody was pretty chill about it, but it was just crazy how long it was taking the kitchen to get out orders. Once I finally made it to the counter to wait for my food to come out, I noticed a CM just going down the counter line and writing paper fastpasses for everyone because of the long wait. I don’t know if someone complained and that's why or if she was preemptively trying to head off complaints, but it was unexpected and very nice of her to do. So, we received a “golden ticket” if you will. In that it was a yellow color and would allow us to use as a fastpass on any ride in MK and did not expire at all.

So, after the wait, finally a food pic.

23186227085_6a67cf24f8.jpg

We decided to try the beef rice bowl and of course use the toppings bar. (Side note, I feel like I use “of course” a lot. Sorry.) We split the rice bowl and both liked it. The beef had a bit of spiciness to it but certainly nothing crazy. I would definitely get it again, but now I hear that it is off the menu but you could maybe still ask for it? Ugh, oh well.

After visiting Master Gracey, I believe we stopped in the new Haunted Mansion shop, Memento Mori. As much as I was looking forward to this, I didn’t see anything that really jumped out at me to buy unless it was really expensive attraction art cause that’s what usually happens.

We went back through Fantasyland toward the Circus. We caught anothr photopass photog at Ariel’s “castle” (in quotes because it’s not a true Disney castle to me if I can’t go in it!). True confession time: I am exercising trip reporter prerogative and not posting a lot of the PP pics we got this night because I look terrible in all of them. I know, vanity thy name is Li Li.

Oh, I also have in my notes that we rode the Little Mermaid ride, so the line must have been pretty short. Moving on, Nigel picked up a cookie at Storybook Circus Treats and we hung out. I love the area back here, such great theming. My fav, Lambert the Sheepish Lion! If you haven’t watched this short cartoon, do so immediately! So cute. I think it might still be on Netflix in the Mickey cartoon collection.

24071140323_ff86e13215_m.jpg

Since the wait was short, we hopped in to meet with Daisy Fortuna and Minnie Magnifique. It was cute; we had not been in there before.

24604453661_76d4170a63_z.jpg

We then took the back walkway past Barnstormer to Tomorrowland. I love this walkway as it is usually never crowded. We hopped on the Peoplemover. And I think on the Peoplemover was when we decided to call it a day. We were both pretty tired and despite having delusions of grandeur, there was no way we could make it to the midnight closing time!

24697977385_0faff9f3d0_z.jpg

We stopped on Main Street to buy something I have been absolutely wanting for years but never bought before. But…I don’t have any pics of it until the next morning, so you’ll have to wait till the next update!

23160140086_faeda52140.jpg

Last edited:

After jumping on Living with the Land, we decided to head back to the resort for the afternoon. Why? Because Nigel is basically obsessed with pool time.

What's not to love? A pool . . . in Florida? I mean c'mon.

IT’S A BALLOON!!!

Yep, I did it; I got a balloon! Cause why not? And it was glorious.

24088030384_1e5ff851ed_m.jpg

It was a very exciting day; we were packing up to check into the Wilderness Lodge!!! Our first time staying there! But first, some early morning shots of AoA.

22890199500_763dc3a3e1_z.jpg

22559177443_2585feb335_z.jpg

Obviously, these are Nigel’s. Besides being crap at picture-taking, there is obviously no way I would be up this early to take a picture.

We were starting off our morning at one of our favorite breakfast spots, Boma! We had not eaten here for breakfast for a couple of years, so we were eager to try it again.

We packed up the car, drove over to the main building where I hopped out to check out; I just wanted to make sure we didn’t have any problems when checking in to WL. Then we drove over to AKL. Such a beautiful place…and yet no pictures! I guess we headed straight for the food!

It wasn’t packed, but it was probably the busiest we had seen it. We’ve usually eaten breakfast there in January in years past. As expected, Boma’s breakfast buffet was AMAZING! I think it is one of the best and most overlooked breakfast buffets on property. Granted, it does not have characters, but the food is top notch. They had quinoa before it became trendy, and don’t get me started on their sausage gravy and biscuits. It’s actually more of a curry sausage gravy, and it is fantastic. Pecan praline sauce for the French toast bread pudding, bobotie, goat cheese scrambled eggs, carving station with ham and spicy mustard. Everything was so good.

24348526139_c51cb26e53_z.jpg

24598411612_767d5ec862_m.jpg

My second plate, I believe. The sausages were very good.

24598411852_94b3d2f16a_z.jpg

22791992307_61148419f7_z.jpg

Plus, a special birthday treat for Nigel. His birthday was actually in 12 days, but since this was likely to be the closest to his birthday that we would spend in Disney, I made him get the birthday button. He actually only wore it 2 days as he was kind of self-conscious of everyone wishing him Happy Birthday when he wore it.

22792084237_0415a5e29e.jpg

And now, off to check in at Wilderness Lodge. Let me tell you, it was so exciting to drive up to Wilderness Lodge to check in. Very cool.

22890281140_e14402a37b.jpg

22818093279_7951d62a31.jpg

Since it was still early, check in wasn’t that busy. We were checked in via CM with iPad. He was very nice, but of course since it was early, our room was not ready. What to do until our room would be ready? What is the answer to most of my questions? Magic Kingdom of course! If you are keeping track, this is the fourth time in three days that we would be heading to MK!

23159874116_7b49587c00.jpg

22890278870_1bdd73b3a6.jpg

Um, yes, I took my balloon back to the park with me.

We hopped the boat and headed off to Magic Kingdom.

24089356373_843a35d53d_m.jpg

I also took this time to point out the Main Street windows to Nigel depicting A Christmas Carol with Scrooge McDuck. Since Nigel watches EVERY SINGLE VERSION of A Christmas Carol during the holiday season, I wanted to make sure he saw this.

22559006433_bb38b14406.jpg

22818090059_6d4f9a98d8.jpg

I won't post all the pics but the windows show the whole story and it is really cute.

We started to head back to Liberty Square where we debated between the Liberty Belle and the Hall of Presidents.

We also caught a bit of parade taping this morning. You should be able to see the Descendants stage in that picture.

24716206755_63564218d1_z.jpg

Although these ducks seemed unimpressed.

24088038104_d77bec6f7e_z.jpg

24348533769_658a85906e_z.jpg

They had the area pretty much cordoned off and were trying to keep the crowd excited while waiting on set up. Nigel felt like seeing this ruined the magic for him. You mean they don’t just shoot the parade as it naturally happens?! Sorry, Nigel.

Since the next Hall of Presidents showing was about 20 minutes away, we decided to wait on the Liberty Belle instead. And that’s when I decided to try to become a pilot. :teeth:

So, it all started when I read the following post on the Mouse for Less blog: http://www.themouseforless.com/blog...-way-pilot-piloting-mark-twain-liberty-belle/

All about how they got to help pilot the Liberty Belle. So when the Captain came down to let people onto the boat, I went up and asked him if he was accepting guest pilots that day. He said yeah, okay, go up to the second level and wait outside the door marked Captains Quarters.

24622697361_be573b3b2f_z.jpg

Of course, Nigel looked at me like what the heck are you doing since I had not shared my plan with him in case it did not work. He may also have been a tad bit crabby at me and my plotting. But, he soon confessed that he was not feeling well and suspected he might be coming down with the Disney crud! :(
I told him to hang on that this experience would be cool, but still didn’t fully explain things yet.

We waited for everyone to board, and then the Captain came up and saw me and said to follow him and close the door behind us. So, we followed him into the door marked Captains Quarters and we got to take the whole ride up from the Captain’s level! Even Nigel admitted it was a pretty cool experience.

24089360733_99127318b5_z.jpg

22890452070_1c59677c53.jpg

22818082509_0a24801844.jpg

Unfortunately, our Captain was more the silent and reserved type. He was perfectly nice but not forthcoming with ANY conversation AT ALL! Unlike the bog post I linked, no ringing of the bell or steering the wheel for us, but he did answer some questions when we asked. But honestly, it was still a pretty cool experience.

Look how amazingly themed this is. This is what you walk through to get to the ship wheel. It's an area primarily seen by CMs and yet the details are incredible.

24622694081_d68f6fd19e_z.jpg

24622694761_2bc670d322_z.jpg

24716211585_608e803cab_z.jpg

And at the end, we were presented with certificates declaring us Pilots of the Liberty Belle!!!! I thought these were great. Although how random is it that it is only good for one year?! We’ll have to go back and recertify!

24705152416_e49d05b1f5_z.jpg

So, right before we went into the Captains Quarters, I received the text telling us our room was ready. After our piloting, we went back to WL by boat to check out our new digs, 5th Floor, 5060.

But first! On our way toward Main Street, we saw one of the Main Street cars come into the circle in front of the Castle. We asked if she was taking passengers down to the entrance, and she said sure, just let me park first. So, we waited for her to park and then climbed aboard with another couple.

22791889797_153f9fe876.jpg
22818072089_6a613c83f5.jpg

Our driver was super nice and talked with us the whole way down. We joked with her about how she was trying to politely tell guests to move out of the way, and she shared that she wasn’t allowed to use her horn that day because of the parade taping! We hopped off near City Hall; here's a pic of our ride.

22558984163_018db114a2_z.jpg

Also, I snapped of pic of this sign to remind me that I had not even begun to shop for Christmas presents!

24089367013_ff8f9c80d6_z.jpg

Splitting this update up since I have too many WL pics I want to share.

We had left our bags with bell services that morning, so I volunteered to go by the desk and let them know we were ready for our bags while Nigel went off to the room to make sure our magic bands worked. Always a concern for me cause you just never know.

I arrived slightly after Nigel, and we jointly freaked out over our room, balcony and how cool it was that we were staying in WL. Soon after, bell services arrived with our bags. He was a very nice and chatty guy and told us that our room was great as we would have a view of Wishes from the balcony!!! Say what?! Freaking awesome. So, did we have a parking lot view? Yes. But we also were going to have a Wishes view too, so that was great news. I mentally started going over our plans to make sure we would be in our room one night to see Wishes. ::yes::

And here is where I realized our epic failure. We took no pictures of our WL room! I don’t even know how this is possible. We did take video of the room, but no still pictures whatsoever. I actually did not realize this till last night when I was writing this update! I still can’t believe it.

After getting organized, it was time to go swimming of course! It was a brand new pool to explore. We suited up and headed down to the pool. Also stopped by the pool bar for drinks because vacation. The pool was great, and I always love watching the CMs doing the activities for the kids. One girl was a mega superstar at the hula. Seriously, she could have gone for days!

After swimming, we bounced around the resort enjoying different lounging spots. Seriously, the details at this resort are amazing.

24420681860_b26c896a35_z.jpg

24088047284_79f023f830_z.jpg
24598427202_2ea5f0292d_z.jpg

24348543009_8af59e0a51_z.jpg

24598428412_d50b734700_z.jpg

24089370893_bd497347b0_z.jpg

24088052114_2c0116a8fa_z.jpg

22559171643_a303cc78eb.jpg
22559171353_f3a3e0bb86.jpg

24089373893_c5bd35cd7f_z.jpg

Soon enough though, we had to get ready for the biggest event of our trip…Victoria & Albert’s!!!! Tonight was the night, and we needed some time to look our fancy-best. I’m talking blow drying my hair, that level of fanciness! Believe me, blow drying is not something that happens often. I’m usually a throw wet hair into pony tail sort of girl.

Stay tuned for fancy stuff!

Riding in the pilothouse was great fun. I am kinda stunned more people don't know about it. Yes, our riverboat Captain was quiet, but he was nice enough. It was the biggest treat of the trip.

Many have their favorite Disney property resort. I think we are both becoming quite fond of POFQ a great deal. I suspect it is becoming out default place to go. We both enjoyed AKL KH. I am a big fan of the Swolphin, but Disney's Wilderness Lodge was simply amazing. The fireplaces, and 'the bad' views that one can still see fireworks, the nifty geyser, and efficient quick service were all wonderfully relaxing. You hop a boat and minutes later you are at the three monorail resorts. I really fell for WL.

WE SO FANCY!

The moment of truth; it was actually happening and we were going to Victoria & Albert’s.

First, we clean up.

22792078207_7d133075ef.jpg

24665277912_74919415bc_z.jpg

Now as you can see, we took Disney transportation. Specifically, boat to Contemporary then monorail to Grand Floridian. You can actually use free valet service when you dine at V&A, but we knew we were going to get the wine pairings and we did not want to have to worry about going to pick up the car the next morning. Of course, it made me panic that something would happen while we were on the monorail and we would be late and our lives ruined, and okay, panic attack over…we arrived in plenty of time. We actually stopped for a bit and watched them building the GF gingerbread house.

24415427629_9fc4d511fb_z.jpg

I probably should have taken notes, but I am actually happy that I just sat back and enjoyed the experience. We actually did not take as many pictures as we should have. Feeling overwhelmed and not wanting to be gauche, if you will, I actually asked our server if picture taking was okay. She assured me it was, so we started after the amuse bouche. Also, I knew we would receive a copy of our menus, but I have to say I was disappointed when I realized the menu did not include the bread course descriptions.

So, we sat and were handed our menus. We had a serving team of two people. They were both lovely, and I’ve completely forgotten their names.

We were told that it was tradition in Victorian times to offer guests some punch before starting the meal. They had alcoholic and non-alcoholic available. I’m pretty sure you know which one we went with. (hint: booze) So, here is the menu and some opening shots.

24689522561_8dba2172de_z.jpg

24487489650_51b1b64ced_z.jpg

24154861124_5e9f6a57e2_m.jpg

24415428579_1ef77c381f_m.jpg

24154861744_30eb560283_z.jpg

Oh, you can see the harpist in the background there. More on her later, but we had great seats to enjoy her playing.

We placed our order, which was for the seven course menu. There was also an option for a ten course menu, but we thought that would be too much for us. We also each ordered the wine pairing. We had thought about splitting one pairing between the two of us but then we realized if we were ordering different dishes, then that would defeat the purpose of the pairing for at least one of us.

Oh, I didn’t get a picture of it, but they brought out a little stool for my purse so I didn’t have to place it on the table.

First, we were brought out the Amuse Bouche which was a slice of buffalo tenderloin which was excellent. Well, I’ll probably overuse adjectives in this recap, but everything really was excellent. The Amuse Bouche was paired with Tattinger Brut. Nigel had a sip, but I probably finished his since he does not care for most sparkling wine. As I said, I didn’t start taking food pics till after.

Oh we also had different breads served along with each course. I did not take pictures of the breads and only remember a handful, but I will do my best. Our first bread was a Viennese dinner roll that we were told was the pastry chef’s family bread recipe. There was different butter for each bread as well and a little pot of Himalayan sea salt for the butter.

The first course for me was Seared Tuna with Mango and Avocado paired with Cadaretta (white wine):

24665206612_5d67e2cb44_z.jpg

First course for Nigel - Gulf Shrimp with Hearts of Palm and Pistachios paired with a Riesling (white):

22890446670_e5741aa020.jpg

As with the bread, we were not very vigilant about the wine pics either. The menu actually worked out very well for us because we each wanted to try opposite things, like I’m not a huge on shellfish and Nigel does not like fish-fish but will eat shellfish. We did bites of each other’s here and there.

Second course for Nigel – Seared Maine Diver Scallop with Roasted Cauliflower paired with a white wine that I’ve never heard of before:

24415428219_66eb70de07_z.jpg

Second course for me – Virginia Black Bass with Petite French Lentils and Roasted Carrots again paired with new to me white wine:

24689525111_9ef1199cee_z.jpg

I have to say, I liked the scallop a bit more than the bass. Both were excellent, but I would give the edge to the scallop.

A note about upcharges. As you can see on the menu, there were certain things that you could order that were an upcharge from the standard prix fixe menu, such as caviar. We weren’t too interested in the upcharges, but if anything could have tempted me, it would have been the upcharge Turbot that was offered for the second course. In the end, I decided that I would be fine with the bass and it was very good.

At some point in here, we were served a truffle bread with truffle butter. All the truffles!!! It was seriously amazing, so good.

Third course – Long Island Duck with Turnip Kraut and a Berkshire Pork with Chipotle Black Bean Sauce both paired with red wines (all the wines are listed on the menu pic).

24756799026_173b55f59b_m.jpg

22792077137_36ac39d608.jpg

24154863524_b9e2d4501b_z.jpg

Fourth course, which was really the main course. – For me, Australian Kobe-Style Beef Tenderloinwith Bordelaise Sauce.

24689528481_a26c80caf0_z.jpg

For Nigel, Lamb Loin and Belly with Cannellini Beans.

22559169903_7235bdac38.jpg

Again, both paired with reds.

24154864814_935b711da9_z.jpg

So, let me stop here and gush because this was INCREDIBLE. Months later, and I still remember my beef tenderloin. I’d have to say it was my absolute favorite course of the night and I ate Every.Last.Bite. So good. I had a bite of Nigel’s which again was excellent, but I think I won this course. J I’m sure he’ll chime in with his thoughts.

We also had a bread course where they shaved off butter for us from a butter tree! Again, failed on pictures. I also failed not getting a pic of the cheese trolley; that trolley was amazing.

Cheese was definitely the one course we were going to both get because CHEESE!

24689528761_72539082b0_z.jpg

24665276222_afdf9445c6_z.jpg

In all honesty, these portions felt a liiiittle small for me. Yes, I know, we were eating seven courses, but it’s cheese! There was also a little side plate that had some cracker-type thing and honey, I think. But I’m more a cheese purist.

24689529051_f4cc1395a5_z.jpg

After cheese, they started setting up for coffee and dessert. Cool, coffee vacuum contraption!

22818162819_c7be56fa7b.jpg
23186215935_198e81ec57.jpg

My dessert – Tanzanian Chocolate Mousse with Orange-scented Milk Chocolate Gelato

24756803226_2ca0ebfbfa_m.jpg

Nigel’s dessert – Hawaiian Kona Chocolate Souffle

22890444700_a59a1be783_z.jpg

Mmmmm, chocolate.

We leisurely sipped our coffee and were offered some small petit fours (for lack of a better descriptor) from a wooden box. Our selections:

24487496790_79e3cc729d_z.jpg

The big red ones are chocolate covered cherries which were fabulous. I think the half-bitten white and red one was red velvet?

We were definitely good for food by this point.

So, at one point during the meal, Nigel all of a sudden recognizes one of the tunes being played by the harpist. Now, I don’t have the same taste in music, being pretty much a Broadway showtunes and soundtracks (Disney or otherwise) kind of girl. But he recognized that she was playing a somewhat lesser known song of Radiohead from their OK Computer album. He’s actually a pretty big Radiohead fan, so he recognized it immediately.

The harpist actually comes by the tables while people are there, and she stopped by and we complimented her on her playing. We then asked if she was playing Radiohead and she confirmed that she was. She asked if we had a request, and we asked if she knew Mad World. It is originally a Tears for Fears song, but we have adopted the more instrumental version by Gary Jules as “our song.” She said she did not know it, and we were fine and said no worries, just thought we’d check. She talked to some other tables and took a break. When she came back, she started playing Mad World!!! It was so great! She came by again and we asked how she did it. She said she looked it up while in the back and listened to it a couple times and played it! So impressive and so sweet of her! I don’t know if it is normal protocol or not, but we did give her a gratuity just because it was really thoughtful of her to go to the trouble to find and play it for us.

The other amazing thing was that Chef Scott Hunnel actually stopped by our table and asked how we enjoyed everything! I knew you usually got to meet him if you did the Chef’s Table, but I didn’t realize he came out to greet all the tables. I was quite impressed.

At the end of the meal, they gave me a rose and put our personalized menus in a folder. We also received a black bag with V&A on it in which they placed the menu folder, two boxed candies and a small mini loaf of orange date bread. All the staff was so nice, and we truly enjoyed the whole experience.

24756804336_2111c43882_z.jpg

We were seated just a little before our reservation at 6:30 and walked out a little before 10 pm, so it was quite the experience. I would definitely go again, but probably wait awhile as it is definitely a special special occasion place.

We took the monorail back to the Contemporary and walked to the boat dock to catch a boat. We also were in time to catch the start of the Electric Water Parade while waiting for the boat. I was glad we got to see and enjoy that. We got back to the Lodge and basically went straight to bed. It had been a full day!

I totally get what you are saying about shorter trips and expectations and leaving your more satisfied. I've felt the way about some trips we weren't originally planning and ifyou view it a bit like a bonus you get happy with what you get done (vs not going at all!)

Ack - totally missing Food and Wine. It's be a few years and your pictures are making me want end that drought! Lot's of good stuff you got!

I love how they do the beer flights! I especially like the Florida breweries one they've been doing.

It is amazing how much less crowded the booths are some times - especially mid-week vs the weekend!

and then to La Cava?!?!?!? This is my kind of trip. I love the fact they did a Maestrom margarita (though personally would associated habaneros and spice with Norway, but whatever). I like the regular jalepeno margarita but I could see the habanero one being a bit much. I've had habaner and thai chili beers and some of those can get a bit much!

I don't think I've ever seen a PP photographer at the Imagination pavillion, but you are right, those are great pictures!

The wine and cheese pairing looks pretty decent. I remember surprisingly enjoying the vegetarian haggis, and would definitely give the regular version a try.

Seems like you were doing pretty well with the extra fast passes at MK, bummer about not hearing all the Jingle Cruise jokes though. Nice that you were also getting to some things you hadn't done before!

Speaking of which - yeah for a Disney Balloon!

We've never done the Boma breakfast before but it looks pretty darn good! I think just with AKL being a bit out there on it's own people don't think to trek there for a breakfast - though if you are staying at the lodge it is perfect!

Ah, I remember seeing the Decendants performance on Christmas morning. I didn't get whey they sang this "hard core" song about being rotten to the core ... and then the second it was over they were all smiley and "Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!" ... like, clearly they are not method actors ;)

That is so cool how themed the Captains Quarters area is on the Liberty Belle. You know at just about any other park the areas that guests normally wouldn't see would not have that effort put into them!

that's awesome you wound up with a Wishes view room! Oh no! I hate that when you are going through your pictures and just like "um, how did I not get a picture of that?!?!?!"

Ok, Now Victoria & Alberts? I might just photoshop mine and Judi's heads onto you guys and pretent this is my TR ;)

Wow blow drying the hair and everything? Aren' you'all fancy?!?!? (or as Judi and I say, look at you with your teeth and hair!!!)

seriously though, you both do clean up quite well! :thumbsup2

My goodness your food! I think overall I liked your dishes more (at least from the pictures) but really, I am sure it was amazing. I just love the staff there so nice but still down to earth given how fancy the place is.

That's amazing about the harpist! not sure if you recall but when we were there the harpist randomly started playing our wedding song (The Luckiest by Ben Folds) and we mentioned it to our waiter and then she played it again and came over to give us a copy of her CD - she really is wonderful!

Oh, and that Truffle Bread is to die for!

What a day!

So, at one point during the meal, Nigel all of a sudden recognizes one of the tunes being played by the harpist. Now, I don’t have the same taste in music, being pretty much a Broadway showtunes and soundtracks (Disney or otherwise) kind of girl. But he recognized that she was playing a somewhat lesser known song of Radiohead from their OK Computer album. He’s actually a pretty big Radiohead fan, so he recognized it immediately.

She also played a song by The Cure. I was in my late teen and early twenties musical heaven with her. Personally, I thought it was devilishly subversive to be playing easy listening versions of alt rock songs at such a fancy restaurant. I thoroughly got a kick out of it. The harpist truly a wonderfully CM.

Wednesday – where we shockingly don’t go to Magic Kingdom

Wednesday was one of the few days where I had planned FP for the day. We were starting in Animal Kingdom. I like AK, I really do. But it really does seem to be our least visited park. I think it is beautiful and well-themed, but we always seem to give it short-shrift.

Here were my FPs:

24730527661_6935ed432e_m.jpg

We got to Animal Kingdom a little after 9 am.

24197975453_4f9a9b7e21_c.jpg

And walked into a wall of people.

24196639114_f0264893db_c.jpg

Seriously, I hope we took a picture of this same area from our most recent January trip. If not, just imagine all these people gone from the pic, and that was January.

It was seriously hot this day. I’m pretty sure we overpacked warm weather clothes for November and underpacked much needed warm weather clothes in January.

We arrived at Everest ready to track down a Yeti.

24729770001_4ff7c9427c_m.jpg

Looks like we rode at 9:31 am, thank you very much Disney Photopass time stamp.

We headed back to Discovery Island to try and find the entrance for A Bug’s Life. We had never seen the show so it was definitely a priority. I had to ask a CM, I just couldn’t find where we entered!

I love the posters in the waiting area, so funny.

24796843676_eee79876a2_m.jpg
24796844376_ac1756e81a_m.jpg
24729626131_6d41a2e427_m.jpg

The show was cute, and we enjoyed it.

After A Bug’s life, we ambled over to Africa to check out the new Harambe Market. Unfortunately, they are not open until 11 am. And we hadn’t had any breakfast yet! But we decided to wait until 11 and spend some time at new-to-us, Rafiki’s Planet Watch. Yes, we had never taken the train out to the Conservation Station.

While waiting for the train, we coincidentally saw our friends that we had gone to Jellyrolls with last Sunday. So, we hung out for a bit and rode the train in together.

The train ride was really cool and nice, and soon we were walking down the path…

24194936694_deb3ccd32d_m.jpg

to see goats!

24456359839_19b171d84d_c.jpg

The petting zoo was nice and I liked that they had the hand washing station.

We then went inside, no surgery was happening today, but we looked at some of the animals and exhibits. I actually got to talk to a CM about an experiment they did with box turtles that showed the box turtles could remember shapes and sizes and go to the correct ones. He said it showed a lot about the intelligence of the box turtle. Which of course is near and dear to our hearts since we have our own box turtle…

2789508359_9dc4b5b0d8.jpg

This is Molson and has been Nigel’s pet turtle since he was 18. I am convinced we are going to have to find someone to take care of him in our will since he will probably outlive both of us.

Having explored most of the Conservation Station, we decided to take the train back and get some food!

Waiting for train…

24823991235_7f29575591_c.jpg

We got to Harambe Market just before 11, and they had a cute little opening show for the Market. They picked a boy to announce the opening and he got to ring a bell. It was a cute little touch.

22559168163_d41bd2484a.jpg

On a wall just outside Market.

We decided on the sausage curry corndog and two beers. Brunch of champions!

24823991075_259d9074cc_c.jpg

It came with a broccoli salad on the side and was very good.

We were trying to figure out what we wanted to do on this hot, hot day. To me, AK always feels like it gets really hot. You can cool off in the shows, but Nigel is not really a show person. I only got to see Nemo and Lion King shows for the first time in 2014. Rather than hang around for our Safari FP, we decided we would head back to Epcot to hit more F&W booths.

We grabbed some pics on the bridge by Africa and is it just me or do they totally looked photoshopped?!

24455474809_abeb4f0ef6_z.jpg

24796846436_4e5e855206_z.jpg

Like we're in front of a green screen or something? Anyway, we also did some shopping before leaving with Nigel buying me a dress which has become something of a tradition.

We arrived in Epcot a little before 1 pm. Since this was day three, we could finally collect our free* glasses from F&W.

Here’s a pic from when we used them when we were home.

24759906582_d612bc4315_z.jpg

We headed to World Showcase, and it looks like we hit China first.

Gaoli Beef Slider

24729629331_21011806ba_m.jpg

Tsingtao Beer for Nigel

24796848096_0115950214_m.jpg

And Kung Fu Punch for me (with vodka and triple sec). Side note, I think China always has the best mixed drinks during F&W.

24705255972_123c8971e2_m.jpg

22890443490_70d053b57e.jpg

We right down the path straight to South Korea. I had read some bad reviews of the BBQ short rib here, so we went with the Roasted Pork Lettuce Wrap and Kimchi slaw. Messy but good.

24796849866_050400e599_z.jpg

From there, we hit up Africa and huddled in some shade near the Cool Post as it was so hot!

Buttered Chicken with Micro Cilantro and Naan Bread. Probably the same as what you would find at Sanaa, but still good.

24706963282_c9fe6e31ef_c.jpg

Poland was still pretty crowded, so we soldiered on and did not stop until France. Because ice cream, duh.

We LOVE the Brioche Ice Cream sandwiches! So good! I don’t remember what flavor of ice cream we got but I know it was delicious just the same!

22890443050_34ffc14db3.jpg

At this point, I think Nigel was feeling a bit run down between his head cold and the heat, so we called it a day and decided to go back to the resort for swimming.

On the bus, back to WL.

24250914833_1fbbaa203b_c.jpg

Swimming and drinking, what could go wrong? ;)

24879209035_524fbc0b4c_m.jpg
24252381063_088b50e77e_m.jpg

24511612649_5386f81c41_c.jpg

We also caught 'Old Faithful'

24852920616_08642ca9fb_c.jpg

I thought it was this day, but I think it was actually the day before, they were doing lifeguard training at the pool, which was really fun to watch. They all had to jump into the pool with all clothes and shoes on, and practice different saving techniques.

24582408160_4c61a1ee9e_c.jpg

Having gotten some more swimming in, we went back to the room to see where the evening would take us.

Last edited:
After getting all freshened and prettied up, we decided to check out the long-awaited Trader Sam’s.

Waiting for the boat to Contemporary

22559068673_a5c5f11245.jpg

24733346220_0c2662f900_z.jpg

We picked up the monorail at the Contemporary, and I was trying to get pictures of the sky because the sunset was really pretty.

24935588791_4c0eb810d4_m.jpg
25028897405_e2daec1793_z.jpg

Sleepy on the monorail

24398269214_25bf740db3_z.jpg

24733349830_d5e983ef96_z.jpg

And we made it to Trader Sam’s. So, perhaps unpopular opinion, but we felt…underwhelmed. I don’t know if we built it up because of the online rave reviews or what, but we were both kind of meh about it. First of all, there were no real clear directions on where it was located. And the door is just this random door in the hallway that seriously looks like it was once the door to a maintenance closet. I really believe Disney just turned a maintenance room into Trader Sams. Okay, that's probably untrue but still. The inside was fine and kinda cool but I feel like I just expected more of a wow feeling. Honestly, we loved Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar much better in terms of theming and atmosphere. I *think* a drink effect or two went off while we were there but it was really hard to tell. I do remember the bartender told a joke about the pearl drink and although I found it funny at the time, I cannot for the life of me remember what the joke was. So, there you have it. Our review. We’ll probably venture back at some point, but…spoiler…it wasn't this past January.

Okay, on to the important stuff, drink and food pics.

Zombie head and Dark & Stormy

24935590841_391829ea1e_z.jpg

Both drinks were really good, and of course, I got the souvenir Zombie head to take home because I am a sucker. One of the reasons we will probably go back is because I have a bit of buyer’s remorse and think I should have gotten the HippoMaitai glass/drink. And they've already increased the price of it. :crazy2:

We got Bahn Mi Sliders which were good.

24910847412_62c9d5ec89_z.jpg

Except see that green pepper on top of the middle slider? I took a small bite and thought, it wasn't that hot. And then took a bigger bite of the pepper and regretted that stupid decision for about 15 minutes. My mouth was on fire!

Once we finished, we grabbed the monorail again and headed over to one of our favorite monorail bars, the Outer Rim at the Contemporary. I don’t know why, but we always love stopping by here for a drink. It’s nothing fancy or themed but it is great for people watching and making friends. I remember when we stopped at this bar on one vacation and listened to some guy *****ing about how he and his wife could not get into California Grill on a holiday weekend. I forget if it was Memorial Day weekend or Presidents or MLK, but it was one of those weekends and he was genuinely pissed that he could not just walk up and be seated with his wife for their “date night” since his parents were watching their kids back at Fort Wilderness. No reservations, holiday weekend. I mean I felt sorry for him, but there were plenty of spots he could have tried, like eating at the bars at Citricos, Narcoosee, Tambu Lounge, the Wave, but he said that because they couldn't get in California Grill they were just going to get quick service somewhere. Like I said, sorry about your luck but I found his uppity-ness a little amusing.

Anywho, I got a martini and Nigel got a Fat Tire beer.

24733510720_dfd1d5d75f_m.jpg
24935593721_20ef49cef6_m.jpg

And stopped by to see the Gingerbread House:

25029050495_9553a03435_b.jpg

After this little, mini-bar crawl, we headed back to the room because I wanted to see what kind of view our room offered for Wishes. Back to the boat.

24910849112_dd0701b6b3_z.jpg

We stopped at Roaring Fork and grabbed some more food. And all I have is a picture of covered food. Sorry.

25029063875_c36b45282e_b.jpg

We got a chicken sandwich with fries and the cheesesteak flatbread. Let me tell you, I fell in love with the flatbreads at Roaring Fork. They changed them everyday and I seriously could have eaten one everyday. The cheesesteak one was so yummy!

We did have a pretty good view of Wishes. If we had been on a higher floor, it probably would have been even better, but for a standard view room, it was a great bonus.

Here are some of my pics, again, I am not a great photographer.

24910850012_f06982ae96_z.jpg

25002546176_a64026bce6_z.jpg

23186109325_4ab272a0c2.jpg

And a good night was had by all!

Thursday morning – where someone wakes up insanely early

Due to his head cold, Nigel couldn’t sleep and therefore was hanging out in the Wilderness Lodge Lobby chilling out. Also, he didn't want to wake me but I sleep like the dead for the most part so I had no idea he was gone.

He got in some quality fireplace time.

23160120966_61ca08d10a.jpg

Once I finally got up and moving, we headed to the Whispering Canyon Café. This was a last minute addition for us. We had not originally planned for it when making ADRs. But we decided the day before to see if anything was available. While in Epcot the previous day, I hopped on MDE and was able to find an 8 am ADR quite easily for WCC. So we booked it and here we were.

24403002113_4f60bd1f75_z.jpg

22558924553_2435c3d485.jpg

We got a table right up against the lobby so that was cool. Our waiter was fine. I think he knew we weren’t really hijinks kind of people so it was just low key kidding around. The food was fabulous.

25003498766_e8b6585b3c_z.jpg

Nigel got the all you can eat skillet:

23186205215_9d6a1f8be2.jpg

I got the pulled pork and cheese grits. Amazing.

24802017210_1cc7305e5e_z.jpg

So good. We finished up fairly quickly. And waited in the lobby for the tour. Thursday through I think Saturday, they offer tours of the Wilderness Lodge and take you through the Lodge and the DVC Villas at WL and give you a history of the building, design, architecture.

We were told to wait in the lobby around the big, main fireplace as the tour would meet there. So, around 9 am, we were in front of the fireplace and Jack, our tour guide, showed up. He was wearing one of those hats, like a park ranger, the flat brim kind. We waited a few minutes, but it looked like we were the only ones, so Jack started us off. We went down to the DVC Villas, which we had never been to before and looked around their lobby area. Jack explained the design of the building and talked about the photos and pictures on the wall. They even have a car from the railroad that Walt Disney had in his backyard in California, which was pretty cool.

Here's some pics:

25097628605_0644f23d98_m.jpg
24403010523_15b70618a4_m.jpg

25071296966_134a304462_m.jpg
24911805192_d7f68249fc_m.jpg

24734305060_a12b1c673b_z.jpg

We then walked back up to the main lobby and discussed different aspects of the architecture and design there. He discussed the meaning of the totem poles and the fireplace stones. It was a really great tour, and Jack was very knowledgeable about everything. Kind of cool to have our own personal guide too. At the end, he gave us Information Sheet that was 12 pages with a lot of the information he had shared and different things such as the song listing for the music played in the Lobby. All in all, the tour took about 30 minutes.

After the tour, we headed to the car to make our way to Epcot.

24466935484_de7ac6ba1b_m.jpg

On the agenda, we had to return one of our port wine glasses because when we opened them back at the room, one of the glasses had a crack. :sad1: They were very nice and thanked me for returning the cracked one.

We headed to Mexico for a ride on the River of Time. Oh wait, no. It was the 3 Caballeros! And we didn’t know it at the time, but it would be the last time with the movie at the end instead of the brand new animatronics! (Spoiler alert, we saw them in January, and they were awesome.)

25029851945_04d0e15449_z.jpg

After visiting Mexico, it was after Noon, so of course we were hungry. At first, I was sad to learn that the South Korea booth was not going to have the kimchi hot dog that it had in 2013. But an awesome Dis’er clued me in on the PTR that the Refreshment Cool Post in between China and Germany had the kimchi hot dog on their regular menu! Woo hoo! So, we got our kimchi hot dog and grabbed a Brown Elephant. A Brown Elephant is a frozen coke with Amarula in it. Amarula is sweet coffee-like liqueur, almost like Bailey’s. It sounded weird to me, but Nigel wanted to try it. And it actually tasted really good, so that surprised me.

24399237024_efd882c970_m.jpg
25097632195_5541518969_m.jpg

Moving along, Poland booth finally had a short line so we stopped for Sauerkraut Pierogi with Pork Goulash.

24734312740_6ee5939069_m.jpg

It was a beautiful day out.

22890433000_7396e5c73f.jpg

It's the Disney skywriter!

22559157893_91fac1d273.jpg

We were feeling the heat that only a walk through World Showcase can bring, so we decided to cool off by visiting France the movie*. Excellent as always. Followed by the equally excellent, France the Bakery*. *Not the actual names.

Somehow, it is physically impossible to be in France and not stop at the bakery. We got one of the best pastries EVER.

A raspberry macaron with lime cream and whatever Nigel got. I think he got some kind of bread with chocolate, but my macaron was incredible and has blocked out any knowledge of other pastries.

23186102245_70389583be.jpg

24399239694_2177316754_m.jpg

Obligatory bridge pic next.

24734315340_daf2a8cf51_m.jpg

We went toward the Rose and Crown and stopped at the bar for some beer. I got a half Harp, half Guinness and Nigel got a Murphy's. I can't find my picture though.

Then we decided to be crazy and stand in line for Soarin’. I don’t think we have voluntarily done a standby line over 30 minutes in forever. But we knew it would be closed for our next couple of visits so we bit the bullet and stood in line. I think the wait time was listed for 80 or 90 minutes. Somewhere around there. And I had the brilliant or stupid idea to use the time to call Disney and ask about bounceback versus pass holder discounts and see what was available for upcoming January visit. So, I called and talked with an awesome castmember who was more than happy to go through all the deals with me. We ended up switching from Pop to a standard at French Quarter since it was a pretty good price. And rather than have me read off my credit card for the deposit, the CM said I could call back any time that day before 10 pm and add the deposit. Nigel told me the people behind us were rolling their eyes at me, but whatever. I felt like I used my time productively.

So, the wait was actually only 1 hour and 12 minutes. See? I timed it! :)

24729966149_1efb988660_m.jpg

After Soarin' we headed out because it was party night! We were also planning to make a stop at Walgreens. Nigel's head cold was wearing him down a bit, so we stopped to get the full strength Sudafed rather than the stuff from the Disney gift shop. Errand completed, we drove back to WL and took a little nap before getting ready for our first Very Merry Xmas party!

Last edited:
PARTY TIME!

Our first Xmas party! Woo hoo! Pre-party pic.

24911817952_a844feba1f_z.jpg

I don’t think I got a good pic but my shirt had two little reindeer in gold on it so I was trying to be Christmas-themed.

But first, a pre-party drink at the Territory Lounge.

22557718204_73860a386d.jpg

24980862852_d7a5bfdb9a_m.jpg

We stopped by to see our friend, Mr. Bear with the large crack. I think it might be getting bigger. I should really see if I have photos through the years to compare.

25003515096_c5f8ecd84f_m.jpg
23160014196_7ae2512678.jpg

We boated over to Magic Kingdom. I’m not sure which boat we took but I’m betting it was Contemporary. We usually would boat to Contemporary and then walk over to MK on the walkway. I don’t know if it was any quicker but I liked the boat/walk combo.

Our first stop was our FP for Mine Train.

25072761896_6bb0edf134_b.jpg

I really like the Memory Maker shots that you get with 7DMT.

25029915045_d18bf2d23e_z.jpg

And then, we realized we needed a snack! Time to hit Casey’s!

23186197135_6cc2187c91.jpg

We split a chili cheese dog and soda.

24803481180_b5dc80e299_b.jpg

We were planning on going to the later parade so we started hitting up some rides.

The lines were super short for everything! It was great.

Splash Mountain:

25029864845_bbffc4e655_m.jpg

Next was Big Thunder, Hall of Presidents and then over to Haunted Mansion.

Look! Standby was 13 minutes! Just made me laugh. It was even on MDE too.

24734319650_59b5182791_m.jpg
24403025523_87f4456f4d_m.jpg

We went to Small World, Winnie the Pooh, and then grabbed some cookies and hot cocoa. The cookies were meh. But the cocoa was nice. After we hit the tea cups. Again, basically no lines for any of this.

I love the decorations for the party.

25003520756_4c97e9fda5.jpg

Feeling noshy again, we stopped in Cosmic Ray’s to split a burger.

22559150043_725108530f.jpg

Attractive, right?

We went to the people mover and then learned that Carousel of Progress was closed during the party?! What?! Disappointing. We hopped on Buzz Lightyear where I’m sure Nigel beat me.

Oh, and got our superserious photo.

24734322830_f98995a05f_z.jpg

Instead of braving the Main Street crowds, I thought it would be fun to catch the Holiday Wishes from the area around/in front of Space Mountain. I was hoping they would dim the lights a little more but it wasn't bad. We grabbed some popcorn and enjoyed the show.

I don’t know if I am just a Main Street/Castle snob when it comes to fireworks, but I wasn’t super impressed with Wishes. Except for the finale. I thought the finale was really amazing. But in comparison to Hallow-Wishes, I liked Hallow-Wishes better. But then, maybe I’m unfairly comparing them because I did see Hallow-Wishes in front of the Castle.

After Holiday Wishes, we started meandering over to Main Street to find a spot for the 10:30 parade.

Some shots of the Castle.

25072801716_f2c28be817_b.jpg

23186094845_afd07bcea4.jpg

Oh, at one point, we stopped to get pics in front of the Castle. But we only got one pic with all the lights before they went away so Elsa could "light" them again. But when I checked it on Memory Maker, we had an unwelcome photo crasher.

24662292639_fa1e244873.jpg

Since this was the only picture of us in front of the lit-up castle, I called and asked photo pass to remove Olaf. Sorry, Olaf.

25003572466_3f579375f6.jpg

And still not a great pic of us, but there you have it.

I think the Holiday decorations for Christmas do beat the Halloween decorations. I love how the lights would change between red and green.

25003522326_0ec3c015f2_z.jpg

24936580731_15f88806b1_z.jpg

24803515530_71d0eeaa3a_b.jpg

24734325300_9ebafa1630_z.jpg

A photpass photographer was going down the street and taking pictures for people with a Very Merry sign.

24662248289_4cc9feb70d_z.jpg

Ta da! Nice touch, I thought. And of course, we had to get a snack.

24911828072_62623b7e3f_m.jpg
24403030723_f25e33f440_m.jpg

25003526426_59ff784c1b_z.jpg

I think I took him unawares.

25029870415_fd8c0998bf_z.jpg

The parade was really cute.

22559149303_d61d02f4fe.jpg

22818236599_9f06886558.jpg

22559147183_da74003fa9.jpg

But the reindeer are slightly creepy? Is that just me?

24574427104_8681a7d49d_z.jpg

24578273293_5ac571e842_z.jpg

We felt we had accomplished a lot. The super short ride lines were great. We headed out after the parade.

I absolutely think that Animal Kingdom is 10 degrees warmer than the other parks ... I assume it is all part of the Imagineers plan to make you feel like you are actually in Africa

Looks like a good time at EPCOT. China definitely does mixed drinks right - though not sure how authentic to China "vodka and triple sec" is ;)

and can't go wrong with the Brioche Ice Cream sandwich!

Nice picture! I like hour you captured the rainbow too

Bummer you didn't like Trader Sam's better ... very well might have been that you built it up in your head too much. Did you sit actually at the bar? I wonder if the effects are better from certain seats! The Shrunken Zombie Head is my favorite drink (at least at the Disneyland one) - and the mug is slightly different so I will need to pick one up at WDW as well ... cause, you know, ... sucker

Fun story about that special snowflake who thought he could get into Cali Grill on holiday weekend with no reservation. I mean, even not at Disney World if this was Date Night and you were going to a fancy restaurant wouldn't you make a reservation? :confused3

Your pulled pork and grits looks really good! That is great they have the tour of Wilderness Lodge. that seems to be one of the resorts with even more "hidden" thought put into the design. Not sure if that is the best way to put it but I think a lot of the effort and details weren't known to you it would be easy to miss them there. Plus, you know, Walt's trains are pretty cool if you are into that sort of thing ;)

That's cool you were able to switch to POFQ (one of my favorites!) at a good price. Why would the people roll their eyes at you? What business is it of theirs? Seemed like a good use of the time to me :confused3

That's great you got on so many rides - parade time is definitely a good time to try and hit that up! I never noticed the 13 minute wait for HM on the app (but had seen in person)

I think hallowishes is just a bit more impressive (at least from a volume of fireworks standpoint) show - but the "feels" of Wishes is more - and it gets amped up when in front of the Castle. Not sure if you have ever watched them from behind the castle but that is one of my favorite spots as there are fireworks going off in front of you (at the Castle) and behind you so you are almost "in" them.

The reindeer are kinda creepy but they, and the wooden soldiers, are classic to the holiday parade even going back to when Disneyland first opened so I guess people put up with the creepiness factor ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter