One Dope, One Goof and a Mickey Marathoner Take on 114.1* **: A WDW Marathon Weekend PTR (UD 12/16)

but when you pop back out, you're by the Land Pavilion (they had the Soarin' music playing, because who doesn't love Soarin'???), and the you race down by The Seas before going under the Innoventions underpass and then ... #BlessedBall! Under the shadow of the ball and then straight on to the finish line.
For the Wine & Dine 10k we didn't do the Land/Seas area, just ran past Innoventions, towards and around the ball. I'm not running in January, but wonder if they'll do the course like this for Jan then instead. I saw it on the map before hand like that I thought I would miss running into the Land/Seas area but overall I guess I didn't. I do love this 10k course as well.

I completely agree that the 10K course is awesome (wonder if they'll change the end to match the W&D 10K course? :scratchin), but...
I know it's going to be blasphemy for me to say it as a card-carrying #DisneyRunner, but I would trade the character stops for throngs of cheering fans and fun signs in a heartbeat ... it's just what I love to see on a run!
NOOOO KEELS HOW COULD YOU?! :sad::rotfl2:

For the Wine & Dine 10k we didn't do the Land/Seas area, just ran past Innoventions, towards and around the ball. I'm not running in January, but wonder if they'll do the course like this for Jan then instead. I saw it on the map before hand like that I thought I would miss running into the Land/Seas area but overall I guess I didn't. I do love this 10k course as well.
I was way okay with that change. I remembered the Innoventions area being slippery or something during the January 10K and not liking that part. The end of the W&D 10K sort of reminded me of the end of the marathon.

I completely agree that the 10K course is awesome (wonder if they'll change the end to match the W&D 10K course? :scratchin), but...

NOOOO KEELS HOW COULD YOU?! :sad::rotfl2:

OK. Compromise. How about you get to the characters first, and after you pass they turn into spectators??

The Other Details!

OK - so, yes ... this trip is about running. But it's also about GOING TO DISNEY!

Luckily for me, I get to go to Florida fairly often and generally stay for a minimum of three weeks when I'm in town, so my WDWing will seem quite different than most. But Marathon Weekend has become a really special weekend for me - mostly because, for the second year in a row, I'll be getting to introduce a newbie to Walt Disney World!

I think she's slowly starting to realize that this whole experience isn't like going to Six Flags ... :rotfl2:

Anyway. Having done six RunDisney race weekends, I've developed some pretty important race weekend traditions that I look forward to continuing. Luckily, once we got everything settled with S and what was going on with her, we weren't so much in limbo any longer as to how plans would shake out!

So, here's a little rundown of how Marathon Week is shaping up for our little #RDSquad!

Tuesday:
@tigger536 arrives! Our meet-cute story: I met Jacque when we sat at tables next to each other enjoying wine and snacks at Hollywood Brown Derby prior to the start of Princess Half Marathon Weekend in February, and we hit it off instantly! She mentioned she was planning to go Dopey in 2017, I told her all about my Dopey experience and we've kept in touch ever since. We've met up at two race weekends since then (Disneyland Half and Wine & Dine Half this year), and always enjoy catching up with each other over cocktails. I'm excited to take part in HER race weekend tradition on Tuesday night!
  • Happy Hour at Abracadabar
  • Dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse
No FP+s yet that day - just kind of playing it by ear to see how she feels after traveling in from Atlanta.
Then, after dinner it's off to bed!

Wednesday:
It's EXPO DAY for us Dopes! Jacque and I both have Race Retreat for Marathon Weekend, so that means we get to shop the Expo early and beat the masses to merchandise as well as bib pickup and getting our official photos to verify our identity during the Dopey Challenge.

I usually always arrive early to line-up to shop the official merchandise section of the Expo, so it was a no-brainer for me to spring for Race Retreat again this Dopey cycle with the added bonus of early entry to the Expo.

From there, we'll head to Magic Kingdom for the day to partake in the first of two of my pre-challenge traditions.

The first I've been doing since the eve of my very first RD race - the Disneyland 5K! It happened last year - I was at Disneyland solo (my friends and husband didn't arrive until later in the day on the Friday of the 5K), so I was wandering around Disneyland trying to kill a little nerves before heading to dinner and the hotel to try to get some sleep.

As I was heading in through the railroad overpass and entering into Main Street, U.S.A. ... who did I just happen upon, standing there waving to guests. Why, the Fairy Godmother! She had no line and nobody was really talking to her, so I walked up and (with total near-tears shake voice) asked if she had a spell or anything to help me with my first-ever RunDisney races, and she simply hugged me and said "My dear, you don't need a spell - I believe in you!" and then we took a selfie:

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 4.14.32 PM.png
(Your seventh-favorite #RunDisneyTripReporter and the Fairy Godmother!)

So - that's Tradition One ... meet with the Fairy Godmother before the start of a race weekend!

After that, we'll take a journey with Peter Pan and Friends, and then take a journey to the Briar Patch on J's favorite ride Splash Mountain. The rest of the afternoon will be spent freshening up back at the hotel before a quick spin through a Diamond Mine with a chance to meet The Main Dope himself on Seven Dwarves Mine Train, but that's it for Magic Kingdom.

Why? Because it's time to head to the Contemporary for dinner at ... California Grill, and Tradition Two - Wishes!!!

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 5.02.06 PM.png
(Ooooooooooooooooh ... pretty!)

I always like to see a resort's trademark fireworks to both start AND end a race weekend - so, at WDW, my race weekends ALWAYS start with Wishes! and end with Illuminations. So, J and I have a reservation for dinner at Cali Grill that will allow us to view Wishes from the viewing platform ... not a bad night-before Dopey starts plan, if I do say so myself!

Thursday:
With our (hopefully) 5K successfully finished, J will be returning to the Beach Club for a nap and I'll be doing early check-in for Part 1 of my race weekend resort stay! Just one night at the Beach Club, though ... we change locations on Friday!

Not a whole lot planned today, mostly take it easy - and, weather-permitting!, spend some quality time resting up at Stormalong Bay. Only two real must-do's today ... medal photo with Pluto and dinner at Be Our Guest!

So, we're going to stick close to the resort and hang out at Epcot! Our FP+s for the day:
  • Test Track
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Character Spot
I'm sure a trip for a mimosa and snack at Les Halles will be in the cards for us as we venture through International Gateway.

BUT - night time is really the right time for our #RDSquad on Thursday night ... why? Because the rest of the gang arrives that night! A will land right when we sit down to dinner at BoG, and M and B (along with her husband R) will arrive a couple of hours later. Thursday is going to be a LATE night with all the arrivals, so that's why we're banking on a restful day with naps and relaxing.

Friday:
This is when the weekend starts to get serious, y'all!

With the 10K completed, I'm planning on some serious napping before check-out while the rest of the #RDSquad takes advantage of EMH at Magic Kingdom! This will be A's first-ever Disney experience, so I'm banking on her getting #AllTheFeels with her starting her day on a less-crowded Main Street at the House of Mouse.

After a morning at MK, and a trip to the Expo for our newly-arrived runners, we'll all meet up for an afternoon at DHS, where our FP+ plans include:
  • Star Tours
  • Toy Story Midway Mania
  • Tower of Terror
After those rides, we'll make our way over to the Swolphin for a pre-half marathon meal at Il Mulino. Those of us running the next day will likely head back to our new home for the weekend ... Beach Club Villas! Oh yeah, such a lengthy move! :rotfl2:

Those spectating the half marathon the next day will likely head back to DHS for Star Wars fireworks and to grab a few last rides during Evening MH.

Saturday:
Every Dope is different ... but I believe that Saturday is the day that makes or breaks your Dopey experience. What you do, what you eat, when you sleep - all of it.

So, with that in mind, we've got a pretty conservative day planned for Saturday. First up - a celebratory carb-filled brunch at Captain's Grille before we race over for a quick trek through ... Animal Kingdom! For those of us finishing up with the Marathon on Sunday, I'm hopefully that this will be a good trip to hype us up for the 26.2 miles that follow tomorrow!

Just two FP+s today:
  • Expedition Everest
  • Kilimanjaro Safari

Depending on time, we may take a ride on Dinosaur! or see Festival of the Lion King. Others may stay in the parks, but the afternoon plan is to return to spend the afternoon poolside at Stormalong Bay, complete with lunch and *maybe* a spa appointment. Also, no booze after 1 p.m. for your friendly, eleventh-favorite RunDisney Trip Reporter as Operation: Maximum Hydration begins! We'll cap the night out with a light, protein-powered dinner at Hollywood Brown Derby! And then it's everyone snuggling down, watching a movie in the villa and falling asleep to prepare for ...

Sunday:
It's Marathon Day!

26.2 miles behind us, the #RDSquad adorned with Marathon (and Challenge!) medals will venture back in to Epcot for lunch at ... Teppan Edo!!

This year, the three of us were STARVING after the Marathon, we demolished some food at Electric Umbrella (cue: EWWW GROSS! sounds), and actually thought it was delicious. This year? We're better prepared!

After lunch, it's showers/relaxing for some ... or a celebratory mini-DATW for others! We DO have FP+s on this day for:
  • Frozen Ever After
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Mission: Space
But the REAL jewel of the day is ... a private Illuminations cruise!!

Remember what I said about closing out a race weekend with trademark fireworks? Well, Illuminations is my favorite nighttime spectacular at WDW and there's truly nothing better than celebrating accomplishments with your favorite people while watching fireworks and reminiscing about what happened earlier in the day.

Another cool thing? The park hours changed for Epcot to now include Evening MH's from 9-11! Hopefully we'll be able to snag some great medal photos in front of #BlessedBall and rides on Soarin' and Test Track before we head back to the Villa to pop a celebratory bottle of bubbles and relax - a full week/weekend of racing behind us!

Monday:
This is D-Day ... for some, that means "departure" (J is leaving to go on a celebratory cruise, B and M are leaving to head back home), and for others (including me and A), it means "DATW"!

But first, we're starting the day with a big breakfast and prime medal-photo opportunity ... breakfast at Chef Mickey's!

The #RDSquad will head into Magic Kingdom for one last round of FP+s together:
  • Big Thunder Mountain
  • Space Mountain
  • Seven Dwarves Mine Train
And then, of course, a group picture with the Big Cheese at Town Square before we either head to catch the DCL bus, the DME or, in the case of A and myself, to grab our bags at BCV and make the move to our final resort of the stay ... the Dolphin!

I decided to cash in some Starwood Points and take advantage of my perks as a Platinum Marriott Rewards member now that the merger is complete to grab us a room to crash in after an afternoon/evening of Drinking Around the World.

A is a big fan of Germany and beer gardens, so of course I have to take her to a late lunch at Biergarten! After that, it's all the drinks, all the time before crashing for the night.

Tuesday:
A doesn't leave until late Tuesday night, so we plan to take advantage of the resort pool at the Dolphin and then a last run of A's favorite rides before we head off to the airport.

And with that, and just like that, Marathon Weekend has come to an end. :(

Last edited:
I so love your Fairy Godmother tradition! And I'm not really a princess fan, but something about that is so happy!

I so love your Fairy Godmother tradition! And I'm not really a princess fan, but something about that is so happy!

Thanks!

Something about it was just so ... organic the first time I saw her. And then, lo and behold ... who was the last character we saw and I HAD TO MEET WITH during the Marathon this year? Yup - it was the Fairy Godmother right before the Mile 25 marker. Coudn't have scripted it better if I tried. We took a picture with her, and she hugged us (gross, sweaty us), told us she was proud of us and we need to hurry on before the clock struck midnight.

Six Weeks (42 Days) To Go:

Hey, look! I'm back with another update! Fair warning, this won't be your usual update to this PTR ...

By The Numbers:
43:
Days Until the WDW Marathon Expo
47: Days Until the WDW Marathon
114.1: Total Miles run by the four of us over the course of four days

#SquadGoals:
What's everyone up to this week?

This week, instead of highlighting what every is up to, I'm going to highlight why I'm #Thankful for them!

B: I think it's no secret that she and I haven't known each other very long and met each other (thanks to these boards!) last year at a Disneyland Half meetup. But this lady ... she's sneaky. She will push you to do things that you never thought you could do before. She cheers you on, pulls you up, pushes you further and always makes you believe. I love this lady. She has done more for me in the last year than anyone else could - she made me BELIEVE in myself.

M: I've known M the longest - over a decade! And it's been so fun to take this journey with her. She's always the most pragmatic person - she's there to lend a shoulder, she's there to prop you up when you need it, to cheer you when you're down ... but she's also SO no-nonsense. I love the fact that a one-and-done half marathon has now become a way-of-life for her and she's ready to tackle her first Marathon in January.

S: Even though she's going through some things personally, I'm always thankful for her competitiveness. She faces things in the face, laughs at them and keeps going, regardless of the obstacle. We all could use just a small dose of that in our lives, and I'm lucky to have her in mine - to power me through when even I think I can't do things.

@FFigawi: This guy. Where do I begin with this guy? I don't know why or how he ended up in my corner ... when we first "met" on these boards, he was this badass no-holds-barred, "No Challenge is Too Tough" guy, and I was this gal that just ran a 10K and was trying to do something a month to work towards a goal and maybe do a Marathon the following January. But he told me (numerous times) that I could do Dopey. My friends, parents and even my husband weren't super on-board with it, but they went along with it. But John? John was confident. But, in fairness, he was probably also beaten down by me over the course of training - but he never waivered in his support, in his coaching and in his confidence in me. I haven't seen him publicly push anyone as hard to do Dopey as he did me ... and I like to think there's a reason for that. But, on top of that, I'm also thankful that he's an incredible inspiration. When I saw him during Ironman ... he looked like a rock star at EVERY point, he never looked beaten, broken, struggling - none of that. He made it LOOK easy. But I know it wasn't easy. I know the hours on hours, the early mornings, the parking lot runs, the time on the trainer, every single hour he put in as part of his training - and it struck a chord. Ironman was truly a victory lap for him - he put in the work, trusted his training and made it look easy. I'm thankful that I have him as an example of what you can accomplish when you put the work in and try.

@tigger536: Talk about #GoHard ... that's the only way I can describe Jacque. She just goes hard at EVERYTHING she does - work, training, races, COSTUMES. I mean, this lady runs with full fur legs, layers on layers, and she PRs Disney races! I'm thankful to be around someone that is a textbook #GoalDigger - she forces me to be better in every aspect of my life, just to keep up with her! There is no hurdle too high for her to attempt to jump.

@Ariel484: She and I started talking when I was hurt and frustrated last summer, but I think we both really bonded over injury, treatment, rehab, and training to get us to the point where we are now. I'm really lucky to find someone who views things the same way as me, who is super into #sportsball, and who also knows frustrations of the same type. Nobody on these boards - and I mean NOBODY - knows more than she does about Disney/DCL/DVC and especially RunDisney. Also, she was there to see me finish my second-to-worst half marathon (love you, girl! Still sorry I looked like a mess during that one!), and I treasured every minute I got to spend with her during Wine & Dine Weekend. Sometimes, you just need someone to go through $#!+ with, and for me, that's S. And I'm thankful she still responds to texts when I'm just straight b!tching. :rotfl2:

My Favorite Things
(One in an occasional series of my favorite things about WDW Marathon Weekend!)

6. The RunDisney "Sacrifice"

OK, so I know this is a weird one to be construed as a "favorite" thing - but I also think it's important to talk about, so ... I'm going to do it here!

It's not just for Dopey, but for any race weekend (and especially for a Challenge), training is a 12-28 week training cycle. It's four-plus days a week of running, another two days of cross-training, days of sacrifice on food and beverage to prepare your body for the gauntlet its about to run ... all for "fun".

The RunDisney "Sacrifice" is an important part of the whole experience - yes, I would LOVE to do Disney the way I do and still get all the bling, but life (and bodies) don't really work like that.

So - I posted about my plans in my last update, but I thought I'd go a little more in-detail on why they are what they are.

First of all, after 5K Day - the 5K starts latest of all races, is the easiest (and for all intents and purposes, STILL untimed even for Dopey participants), I abide to a few strict rules:

• 1. NO park time after 1 p.m.
  • 2. NO booze after 5 p.m. (for pre-Marathon night, it's no booze after Noon)
  • 3. Carbs in the morning, lean protein at night.
  • 4. NO heavy meals, buffets or things I haven't eaten before. No AYCTE, no barbecue, no fried food.
  • 5. NO caffeinated, carbonated beverages (including sugar-free Red Bull) after 10 a.m., no matter HOW bad I want it.
  • 6. If I'm not asleep by 10, then I'm going straight into a nap after the race. 8:30 p.m. bedtime before the Marathon, no exceptions.
  • 7. NO Sleep-Aids, not even natural ones. I'd rather be naturally tired than unnaturally groggy and foggy.

Sounds like a GREAT weekend at Disney, especially staying at the Beach Club, right?? #WompWomp

But these are things I CHOOSE to do, because I'm coming to complete a major endurance challenge. I've spent upwards of 20 hours a week training for this! I want the best race experience I can have.

Personally, I think the Dopey Challenge has become more about telling people you're doing Dopey rather than actually preparing for the challenge and respecting it - especially the Marathon distance. But that's also something RunDisney brings on itself when the announcers essentially put down any runner not doing a challenge as "just" doing the half marathon or "just" doing the 10K.

Last year, I incredibly overtrained for Dopey and still finished.

This year, I'm just focusing on the Marathon leg - I'll probably be about four miles undertrained with no taper going into Day Four, but I'll also go in with the knowledge of having done Dopey before, having done a Marathon before, having run four days in a row before - with requisite park time and the added two miles on top of race distance you have to walk for transportation/corrals/etc. ... and I'm not afraid. I'm excited.

In looking at my Garmin data from Dopey this year (keep in mind, I stayed off-site 100-percent of the time, and drove in every day):

5K - 5.32 miles
10K - 9.1 miles
Half - 16.9 miles
Marathon - 36.3 miles

If I can stick close to that, I'll be happy!

For dining, I LOVE food. But I've already picked out exactly what I plan to eat at every restaurant I've made an ADR for ... because I know what works best for me (again, no fried food, no heavy meat, no questionable food at a buffet/AYCTE binge-fest, no Ohana, no barbecue ...).

Wednesday Night:
California Grill
- sashimi, nigiri and maybe a roll with no sauce/sauce on the side
Thursday:
Be Our Guest
- I REALLY want the new shrimp/scallop pasta, but I'll stick with the chicken and wild rice. #WompWomp
Friday:
Il Mulino - either Spaghetti Carbonara or Gnocchi (sans bolognese, if they can do then in a browned-butter sauce)
Saturday:
Captain's Grille
- Waffles (but they just added shrimp breakfast tacos and I want these soooooooo bad ... but, nope. #WompWomp)
Hollywood Brown Derby - Chicken Breast with mac 'n' cheese (again - I want carpaccio and steak, but ... nope. #WompWomp)

Anyway. Just a highlight of the "sacrifice".

I've learned that it's OK to go to Disney without doing a RunDisney race - and it's actually cheaper and more fun.

Next Week: We've got some races to talk about ...

I haven't seen him publicly push anyone as hard to do Dopey as he did me ... and I like to think there's a reason for that.

There is a reason for that - it's because I knew you could do it but also knew you needed the public support when taking on a big challenge like you did. And now you're a badass getting ready to do it again, and I couldn't be prouder. :)

There is a reason for that - it's because I knew you could do it but also knew you needed the public support when taking on a big challenge like you did. And now you're a badass getting ready to do it again, and I couldn't be prouder. :)

I still stand by wanting to harm you when I hit Mile 21 of the Marathon, though ...

First of all...HOLY BLEEP we are almost into the 30s with the countdown!! :eek:
@Ariel484: She and I started talking when I was hurt and frustrated last summer, but I think we both really bonded over injury, treatment, rehab, and training to get us to the point where we are now. I'm really lucky to find someone who views things the same way as me, who is super into #sportsball, and who also knows frustrations of the same type. Nobody on these boards - and I mean NOBODY - knows more than she does about Disney/DCL/DVC and especially RunDisney. Also, she was there to see me finish my second-to-worst half marathon (love you, girl! Still sorry I looked like a mess during that one!), and I treasured every minute I got to spend with her during Wine & Dine Weekend. Sometimes, you just need someone to go through $#!+ with, and for me, that's S. And I'm thankful she still responds to texts when I'm just straight b!tching. :rotfl2:
So as much as I hate that this is what bonded us (because no one likes to be injured), I'm really glad that I had you to talk to when things were rough. I'm not sure most other people really *got* what I was feeling, but I think you did/do, so I am grateful for that. :hug:

Oh, and thanks for keeping me sane during Game 7...:faint:

And as you know, the b!tching via text goes both ways...so thanks for that!! :rotfl2:
Personally, I think the Dopey Challenge has become more about telling people you're doing Dopey rather than actually preparing for the challenge and respecting it - especially the Marathon distance. But that's also something RunDisney brings on itself when the announcers essentially put down any runner not doing a challenge as "just" doing the half marathon or "just" doing the 10K.
DING DING DING!! Couldn't agree more!!

@tigger536: Talk about #GoHard ... that's the only way I can describe Jacque. She just goes hard at EVERYTHING she does - work, training, races, COSTUMES. I mean, this lady runs with full fur legs, layers on layers, and she PRs Disney races! I'm thankful to be around someone that is a textbook #GoalDigger - she forces me to be better in every aspect of my life, just to keep up with her! There is no hurdle too high for her to attempt to jump.

Aww. :hug: You always say the sweetest things! I can't thank you enough for your friendship, inspiration and the advice you've given me. I DEFINITELY would not have done as well at Disneyland if not for your pep talk (and the strategy session about what time I needed for the Dopey corral) before. You gave me the goal to shoot for! I can't wait to run with you and for all the fun of Dopey weekend. :banana:

6. The RunDisney "Sacrifice"

Yes! This! Every time the announcers say this I cringe. We can all remember when each distance (by itself) was a little (or a lot) scary. Its a process. STOP SAYING JUST! They did this at Wine and Dine over and over.

But as an aside, telling people about Dopey is sometimes fun, as you explain it and watch the looks on their faces. Brunch this weekend: Friend: Do you have a goal with all this running? Me: Well, the next big goal is Dopey in January... Friend: What is THAT? Me: Its this weekend at Disney with a 5K, 10K, Half and Full... Friend: You are doing the Half, right? Me: ... :rotfl: Other friend, who knows: That's why they call it DOPEY.

Wednesday Night:
California Grill
- sashimi, nigiri and maybe a roll with no sauce/sauce on the side - I'm leaving this one to a game time decision.
Thursday:
Be Our Guest
- I REALLY want the new shrimp/scallop pasta, but I'll stick with the chicken and wild rice. #WompWomp - This pasta sounds great . I'll try this for you. Its a tough life...:rotfl2:
Friday:

Il Mulino - either Spaghetti Carbonara or Gnocchi (sans bolognese, if they can do then in a browned-butter sauce)
Saturday:
Captain's Grille
- Waffles (but they just added shrimp breakfast tacos and I want these soooooooo bad ... but, nope. #WompWomp) Is there room? Yum!
Hollywood Brown Derby
- Chicken Breast with mac 'n' cheese (again - I want carpaccio and steak, but ... nope. #WompWomp) I have my favorites here, but I just might have to adult and this is going to kill me.

Last edited:
I'm so happy for your "shameless PTR plug" on the running thread, because somehow I missed that you had one! Looks like you have so many great plans so far! I'm excited to follow along as you rock your training and races!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter