One day in Disney!

IAmElsan

Mouseketeer
Hi all!
I will be heading to FL with my folks next weekend Thurs-Sun.
They are mainly traveling to FL to close on a house down in Valrico and invited me along for the trip.
Since WDW is a mere hour away from where they will be closing on the house I convinced them to come to Disney World with me.

We will only be able to go for one day on Saturday the 12th. As we have Thurs and Sun as travel days and my parents will be tied up with the house business/paperwork on Fri. The plan is to just head to Magic Kingdom.
My question to you all is what are The absolute must dos at MK since we will only be there for a day though we will be there from open to close of the park.

Also any helpful tips and tricks for a day at MK are most welcome too as I've only been to DLR/CA most recently last June and am not really familiar with MK @ WDW. We plan to purchase our one day tickets in the next day or 2 online unless it is recommended to buy day of??

We want to make the most of this one-day trip so any and all help is most appreciated!

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

If you know you are going, I would purchase in advance, choose the will call option and then link your tickets to your My Disney Experience account. You can then make your FP+ reservations ASAP. You can pre-select 3 FP+, so I would try to make FP+ for 3 things that typically get longer standby lines (depending on what you want to ride) - 7DMT (may not be available at this point), Space Mountain, Splash, BTMMR, PP (if you are interested in riding). Make an ADR if you are interested in a table service meal.

If you search, there are a lot of threads comparing rides in the two coasts. Small world and Pirates for example are arguably better in California, so I would skip them. Make sure to hit up rides that aren't out west (Carousel of Progress is a classic). Florida Space Mountain is very different. Crowds might be a little heavy given that is a long weekend, but they should be manageable.

If you know you are going, I would purchase in advance, choose the will call option and then link your tickets to your My Disney Experience account. You can then make your FP+ reservations ASAP. You can pre-select 3 FP+, so I would try to make FP+ for 3 things that typically get longer standby lines (depending on what you want to ride) - 7DMT (may not be available at this point), Space Mountain, Splash, BTMMR, PP (if you are interested in riding). Make an ADR if you are interested in a table service meal.

I'm still a little lost on Disney lingo and acronyms so forgive my ignorance on not knowing a few of the acronyms you listed in your reply. I'm unsure of 7DMT, PP?
Do I have to create an account with the "My Disney Experience account as I'm not sure what that is?
So if the 3 of us want to ride or do a FP+ experience would I have to link all 3 tickets that are purchased to that same FP+ ride? Say I want to do something different than my folks could we in theory do 3 different FP+ options and go our own ways if I want to ride something they don't and vice versa?

If you search, there are a lot of threads comparing rides in the two coasts. Small world and Pirates for example are arguably better in California, so I would skip them. Make sure to hit up rides that aren't out west (Carousel of Progress is a classic). Florida Space Mountain is very different. Crowds might be a little heavy given that is a long weekend, but they should be manageable.

Thanks I will look around there are some rides I can't handle motion wise and SM is def one of them so I won't be getting on that one, but will comb through some other threads on rides.

Yes, you can pick different FP+ experiences for yourself from what you pick for the others.

7DMT is Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (a milder roller coaster than Big Thunder Mountain). Because it is new, you may not find FP+ available for it. It will have long standby line waits, so without FP+, try to ride it just as soon as the park opens or just before the park closes.

PP is Peter Pan (basically the same ride as at Disneyland).

You're probably familiar with the rides at Magic Kingdom that are similar to Disneyland (Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Splash, etc.) so you probably know which of these you want to do.

for unique MK attractions, I would definitely recommend Mickey's PhilharMagic 3D and the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor (you can do both of those attractions with little wait, even during the mid-afternoon highest-crowd part of the day).

Any other tips tricks and suggestions to make the most of this one day trip??

Thanks!!

Any other tips tricks and suggestions to make the most of this one day trip??

Thanks!!
I agree with PP- make sure you hit up the rides you can't find on the west coast. I'd also recommend staying for Wishes- the evening fireworks show. It's one of my favorites on property! Do you like to dine? MK has a lot of nice in park sit-down dining reservations so you might like to try a lunch reservation.

I agree with PP- make sure you hit up the rides you can't find on the west coast. I'd also recommend staying for Wishes- the evening fireworks show. It's one of my favorites on property! Do you like to dine? MK has a lot of nice in park sit-down dining reservations so you might like to try a lunch reservation.

Thanks!
I'm def wanting to stay for the fireworks show but in researching they have FP+ option for the show and seeing as this was such a last minute planned one day trip for next Saturday I don't think there are any passes available so just trying to figure out the best plan of action to get a somewhat decent viewing spot without a FP+ designated spot...

We might try a dining reservation as we do like to and enjoy a meal at some point. I'll see what's available online as far as reservations go.

Thanks!
I'm def wanting to stay for the fireworks show but in researching they have FP+ option for the show and seeing as this was such a last minute planned one day trip for next Saturday I don't think there are any passes available so just trying to figure out the best plan of action to get a somewhat decent viewing spot without a FP+ designated spot...

We might try a dining reservation as we do like to and enjoy a meal at some point. I'll see what's available online as far as reservations go.

There are plenty of great spots to enjoy the fireworks without a FP+! Personally, I think it'd be a waste of your FPs to use one on that. Most people (myself included) like to watch from somewhere in the front of the park but behind the castle also offers a unique (and less crowded) viewing space.

Enjoy your day!

If you are looking for dining options I would recommend a lunch reservation at be our guest. It is still counter service but does require a reservation. It is worth eating there at least once to see inside Beast's castle and is another unique Magic Kingdom experience. You may be unable to find one but keep trying daily. I have found them the day before or day of before. They also have counter service breakfast there and a sit down dinner.

I'll be honest with you, the day you have chosen is less than ideal.

1. It's Mardi Gras week...the entire state of Louisiana empties into WDW, to avoid the influx of tourists back home

2. It's the Friday before President's Day. Some people extend their 3 day weekend by taking a few extra days on the front or back.

3. It's EMH (extra magic hour) morning. Which means guest staying at Disney resorts get in the park at 8am, an hour before you. The line for 7 Dwarves will already be long at 9.

I checked dining reservations for
that day. There isn't much available in MK. What you might consider doing is exiting the park and hoping on the monorail. There is some wonderful dining options at the Contemporary, Polynesian, or Grand Floridian resorts. All are a quick monorail ride away. It will provide you a quiet respite from the park, as well as a chance to experience more of the WDW resort.

I am going for the day on Saturday the 13 and I just booked my FP yesterday and got some good ones

as others have said I would book FP as soon as you can after you book your first 3 you can get 1 more

Just. Checked MDE. There are FP available for SDMT on the 12th. Hurry, buy those tickets and get them linked!

I would book FP as soon as you can after you book your first 3 you can get 1 more

The way you worded this is wrong. After you USE your 3 pre scheduled FP, or the FP window expires , you can make additional FP one at a time at kiosks set up around the park

The way you worded this is wrong. After you USE your 3 pre scheduled FP, or the FP window expires , you can make additional FP one at a time at kiosks set up around the park
that is what I mean sorry I have a disability and have a hard time wording things

Ok tickets booked and FP+ selections made, will keep checking back to see if other attractions become available to switch out any FP+.

My next question is we will be driving to Disney from Valrico, FL and I'm just wondering what is the best option to get to the park and how? Do we drive to a parking lot and hop on a monorail or take a ferry? I'm a little lost on that aspect and any help with that would be amazing!

I looked at park hours too and it says the park opens at 8AM and closes at 1AM and states no magic hours on that day so are those the park hours for everyone since it stated that there are no magic hours this day??

According to Disney 's website the hours are 9am to midnight, with an early one hour EMH at 8 am for resort guests

You park and depending how close your spot is, you either walk or take a tram to the TTC (ticket and transportation center)

At the TTC you can take a ferry or monorail to the actual park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter