• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

One day at Universal. Looking for some advice, please.

ckillian

Earning My Ears
Hi,

We're coming down to Orlando from March 16-21 to watch my son swim in the swimming Nationals. We have one day free to explore Universal Studios.

I bought one day, one park tickets from USSSA for $85. I probably should have gotten the Park to Park option, but I didn't, so what's done is done.

I mainly want to see the Harry Potter stuff, which I know is in both parks. I don't really know which park has the cooler HP stuff, though. We'd also prefer to do the park which has the best rides.

So my question for the pros is, given one day (and one park) only, what would you do?

Thanks,
Chris

do you like coasters, 3D rides, etc?

there are 3 potter rides at UO + HE
1 potter +HE at the studios.

the HE requires a park to park ticket.

We're definitely in to coasters and 3d rides. I guess my main question is which park gives the best overall Harry Potter experience? They both seem cool, but I can only do one.

i've done both potter sections.
outside of the ph section, i would give the edge to the studio side as there are more rides there.

for coasters, you have RRR, Mummy (show and coaster) TF and Terminator which are 3D shows and action, Shrek and DE are 3D....

more stores for potter at the movie side.
both have a restaurant counter style.

more rides indoors so if it rains, no close downs for them.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but you MAY be able to upgrade to a park to park ticket at the gate. Not sure on that.

If you can't or don't want to, we like Diagon Alley/US better. Hogsmeade in IOA has more attractions - my favorite Potter ride (Forbidden Journey), Flight of the Hippogriff, Dragon Challenge, and the show at Ollivander's. But Diagon Alley feels larger and I could spend a while walking around there taking in the detail. But the only attraction to really ride there (without a park to park ticket) is Gringott's, which is my second favorite Potter ride.

But considering you'll have a whole day there, as two adults, we much prefer Universal Studios over IOA. Better rides, more to do for us. Just our opinion!

i love both harry potter sections. the one in IOA is amazing you have the Hogwarts castle and the shops however the new Diagon Alley in US is also just as incredible and so many more shops and things to see and experience.

it is however your choice IOA has a lot more roller coasters and thrill rides like Dr Dooms fear fall / Jurassic park attraction / hulk roller coaster.
so if your looking for more thrill rides i would go for IOA. :)

We used to be bigger fans of IoA because of WWoHP, Hulk, Spiderman, Jurassic Park and the water rides. The theming in WWoHP and the JP area is so incredible, and Spidey was our favorite ride for a while.
Now, with Diagon Alley which is themed to within an inch of it's life, it's a tough choice. There is nothing else like DA anywhere. And with Transformers, Mummy, Men In Black, Minions and Simpsons if you like that, it is a very tough call
Having been to both, if I had only one day, I would pick Universal Studios with Diagon Alley.
Diagon Alley may only have one ride where Hogsmeade has 3, but DA is bigger with so many things to see (3 Beetle the Bard shows as well as Celestina Warbeck show, the Knight Bus with the talking heads and conductor, Ollivanders easier to get into, Florean Fortescues, Magical Menagerie and Wheezlies Wizarding Wheezes).
But the castle is cooler than anything in Hogsmeade.... would hate to miss that.... (and the Frog Choir show, the Durmstrang/Beauxbatons show, Hagrids Hut and the Hippogriff).
The sit down restaurants at both are very Harry, and one just as great as the other. But DA does have butterbeer ice cream...

Hope you have fun no matter which park you pick- they are both fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter