Once Upon a Time --- What do you think?

rutgers1

DIS Veteran
3 episodes in, it has moved up to #1 in our weekly "must watch" list. I think it needs to be tweaked to make it a bit more mysterious and dark, but overall I love it.

We love it!! I like the twists and the mystery.

Can't wait for next week!

I am hooked, thank goodness for on demand because I will miss it this week since we will be in Disney.

My 9 y/o loves this show! I like it but I'm not as crazy about it as she is lol

Definitely had an interesting twist on the Snow White story last night!

When I heard that it had the writers of Lost, I was kind of hoping for it to be a bit darker, as well as a bit more mysterious. The acting isn't as strong as Lost, nor does the show have a cinematic feel. A few segments actually seem a bit low budget. However, it has a lot of potential.

A few suggested changes:
1) It is strange that the characters in the fantasy world act/speak like they are from modern times. It seems a bit fake. Make it more raw. Don't give it a Disney-fied vision of a fantasy world.
2) Some of the indoor scenery in the fantasy world seems low budget.
3) So far, there is no comparison between the Mayor and Ben Linus from Lost, who I think are supposed to play somewhat similar roles. The character of Ben did a better job of making you wonder "How much does this guy really know?" Ben advanced the story even when he wasn't speaking.
4) They should have done more to see Snow White bonding with Charming when he was in the hospital bed --- That whole sequence ramped up way too quickly. It wasn't believable.
5) It needs more of the boring, everyday scenes from Lost where you get to know the characters and take a liking to them. Intersperse some "action" to keep those action fans happy, but let the story plod along when it needs to so that we start to care about the characters.
6) Make better use of the commercial breaks, as well as the end of the show, to knock the viewer's socks off with a new plot twist.
7) Silence. More of it. Explore the different worlds. Tell some of the story through actions and expressions. I literally think the show would be better with 15% less dialogue per episode.

The previous poster makes a lot of good points. The only thing I'd add to that list, or expand on, is that I sympathized with Ben Linus once we learned about him. And before we learned about him, I didn't explicitly loathe him. That's something the show needs to work on: filling in Regina so she's not just unadulterated evil.

The previous poster makes a lot of good points. The only thing I'd add to that list, or expand on, is that I sympathized with Ben Linus once we learned about him. And before we learned about him, I didn't explicitly loathe him. That's something the show needs to work on: filling in Regina so she's not just unadulterated evil.

I agree. I think they are trying to set that up, though could do a better job. When she was talking to her father, she said something like "I just want to be happy," so we are definitely supposed to think that there is some other side of the story that would make us empathize with her. I guess we get some of that in the real world since, although she isn't a loving, doting mother, she did take Henry in and has been giving him a nice life thus far. The kid doesn't particularly like her, but he hasn't provided any evidence of abuse, either. His distrust of her comes from his knowledge of who she is and the role she plays in all of this.

Her new identity is pretty interesting. She is in charge as the mayor, but from everything we can tell, she is a pretty good mayor. People like her. The town appears to run well. This isn't the hell that she promised people when she unleashed the curse. So, what is it? What was her intention? Was the outcome what she anticipated, or did Rumplestiltskin have something to do with it?

Anyone know of a good place to talk about this show? I was looking for some conversation here, but perhaps I am looking in the wrong place :-(

Love it. I definitely had more sympathy for Regina after the latest episode (with Jimminy Cricket and the mine).

Loooove this show! But there is one little thing I'd change.

1) It is strange that the characters in the fantasy world act/speak like they are from modern times. It seems a bit fake. Make it more raw. Don't give it a Disney-fied vision of a fantasy world.
Yeah. That. It drives me absolutely crazy that the only fantasy world character I can believe is from a different world is Rumplestiltskin (there's a reason he's my favorite character). And what was up with the ball gowns from Cinderella being prom dresses?

I reallly LOVE the show! I think that like every show it has its ups and downs but is overall well written and has me hook even more after each episode!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter