Onboard Expenses - What Makes Up Your Stateroom Bill?

scrappinginontario

I'm preparing for our first cruise and in the saving stage.

More than once I've read about the shock of seeing a stateroom bill at the end of a cruise. I can relate through our many Disney trips. Often shocked by my bill at the end of our trip!

Anyway, I'm curious to know what expenses make up a stateroom bill? I can think of things like alcohol, spa treatments, shopping and the gratuity that is automatically added. What else am I missing?

With this being our first cruise and my DD only being 4 at the time, I'm thinking our time on the islands will be spent walking around, going to a beach and probably some shopping. Not planning any excursions at this time. My choice is also not to drink so there will be a savings there as I believe most/all of our beverages will be covered. As much as I love spa treatments I just cannot justify the cost right now so it's not in the plan.

What other things should I consider when budgeting for our cruise?

Thanks for your help!

I'm preparing for our first cruise and in the saving stage.

More than once I've read about the shock of seeing a stateroom bill at the end of a cruise. I can relate through our many Disney trips. Often shocked by my bill at the end of our trip!

Anyway, I'm curious to know what expenses make up a stateroom bill? I can think of things like alcohol, spa treatments, shopping and the gratuity that is automatically added. What else am I missing?

With this being our first cruise and my DD only being 4 at the time, I'm thinking our time on the islands will be spent walking around, going to a beach and probably some shopping. Not planning any excursions at this time. My choice is also not to drink so there will be a savings there as I believe most/all of our beverages will be covered. As much as I love spa treatments I just cannot justify the cost right now so it's not in the plan.

What other things should I consider when budgeting for our cruise?

Thanks for your help!

Photos, any drinks ordered in lounges, room service, or poolside servers (alcoholic or non). Snacks from room service and outside the theatres, excursions, Souvenirs, arcade cards, tastings, mixology classes.

If you are planning to eat in Palo or Remy, factor in the upcharges for those venues.
Any visits to the medical center will also be charged to your bill. Emergency visits are $200+!
And, always have your camera with you. The Character Attendants will take pictures with your camera at all Character Meet and Greets - saves you from having to purchase all of the photos.

No charge for most food items. There are charges for sodas, alcoholic drinks, and pre-packaged snacks. And then there's the tip to the room service delivery person.

Thanks for the clarification. I was surprised that room service had charges but what your said here cleared that up.

Can u please explain arcade card?

In the arcade onboard, the games do not use quarters or tokens. You must purchase an arcarde card to operate the games. The inital card minimum purchase is $10. Then you can add $5 increments to it, if you wish.

Can't you view your room charges on your stateroom tv, anytime during the cruise? Helps take away the shock and know what to expect.

Excursions and alcohol are always our biggest charges.

We bring alcohol onboard. We enjoy a glass of wine before dinner. We also pack a few candy items for the boys if they go to the movies. Aside from tips, the only money we spend is on pictures. We do splurge on the photo cd but we take advantage of every photo possible. It's the only time we do "family portraits" and they turn out great. We love the boat. We will get off at some ports to see a few things and enjoy the beach. Our boys handle the recycling of the cans in our house. They use the money for souvenirs.

PrincessShmoo said:
In the arcade onboard, the games do not use quarters or tokens. You must purchase an arcarde card to operate the games. The inital card minimum purchase is $10. Then you can add $5 increments to it, if you wish.

Thank you

No spa, alcohol, or room service on our bill. We ordered room service, but it was all free stuff and I tipped in cash.

Our onboard bill wasn't too crazy. The biggest expenses were the gift shop charges. Other than the gift shop, the only thing we charged was brunch at Palo. Oh, and the automatic onboard tips are put onto your onboard account.

How do you know which items on the cabin service menu are included or extra. Does it state it on the menu? Is it clear around the ship as to what is included in your cruise fare and what is not included

We're getting ready for our 1st cruise so I am total nube, can cash be used at the bar/coffee etc. or is everything charged to your room ?

Labdog said:
We're getting ready for our 1st cruise so I am total nube, can cash be used at the bar/coffee etc. or is everything charged to your room ?

No cash. You can bring cash and put it on your onboard account at guest services so you are "charging" on a pre existing credit but you cannot use cash anywhere except for tipping (room service, bar tenders, etc.)

How do you know which items on the cabin service menu are included or extra. Does it state it on the menu? Is it clear around the ship as to what is included in your cruise fare and what is not included

If I remember correctly, yes the room service menu indicates what has an additional charge. I don't believe it actually says what the charge is though. Is it clear on everything that costs? I would say no, especially for kids.

Can't you view your room charges on your stateroom tv, anytime during the cruise? Helps take away the shock and know what to expect.

Excursions and alcohol are always our biggest charges.

On the Dream and the Fantasy, you can view your room charges on your stateroom tv, but not on the Magic or the Wonder, that is, unless they upgraded the system on the Magic and Wonder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter