On Strike

I don't know how many are crossing where I am but I hear the rumours that many are. I agree they did set this up long ago. What no strike for 32 years so it is time?

Hi. I am new to this board. It is great so far. But on this topic. Realize I have 3 in college as we speak and had the right to strike taken away at work. So I can see both sides. Funny thing is that I was talking to our "union stewart" last night about it. As far as she knows unoffically the union and the government are both playing dirty. And it is the workers and the students that are suffering. I have had to cross the lines at all 3 campuses that my kids go to. Many of your co-workers are not happy to be out there and many have returned to work. The ones that I spoke to are wondering why they are still out as the wage teir has been taken off the table. I really feel for the workers because the union seems to have had this planned for a while but the true reasons have not be made known. Something isn't right here. As to the student side of things, many of them are getting frustrated with the situation but are trying to make the best of it as their fees are already paid. They are stuck in a bad situation too.

I hope that you do not have to cancel your trip and that it is settled soon but rumor has it that talks are not even planned. Let's hope that it doesn't go on as long as the York strike did.

No one wins in a strike. I like you balanced response to things. alot of people call us scumbags and mooches, but they need to realize that not everyone wants to be out and we don't control the union or management. I am a two time college grad and have been through 2 strikes as a student and two as an employee and they are never fun. My dad was an auto worker for almost 30 years before passing away and growing up we went through a couple of strikes. It is terrible on families, and in this case, terrible for students, faculty, support workers, and parents. Hopefully this is over with this week. Enough is enough.

Years ago the unions had a great place and they were for the employees....today many unions are so political that it is not about the workers but about them.....they get you more money than raise your union dues.....

I always feel sorry for the folks that are forced onto a picket line when it causes the striker to struggle.....or here also the students....

You need to do what you need to do in this terrible economy....you will not be the only one crossing if you decide to...

I was a nurse for 22years and the union was great and was there when WE called on them.....otherwise we didn't hear from them...not anymore.....

Sorry your put in this situation....good luck..

By the way can you opt out of your union and work without one or are you forced to....no union no job?

Our union comes with our job. you don't get one without the other. Wish I could opt out.

Question from a student point of view. At my school, not only are the picket lines blocking cars from entering campus, they are also blocking the exits. Is this allowed? I'm sure it must be since nobodys stopped it yet, but I know people at other schools that aren't dealing with this. It takes me twice as long to get OFF campus as it does to get ON. Insight anyone?

Yes you can block the exits as well. When our faculty was on strike they did that. makes for a pain but at this point the only bargaining chip we have is to disrupt things to the point where management gets back to talking. We are not doing that as myself and many others don't agree with that. I don't like the thought of someone being late to pick up their child or missing an appointment. We are not even holding people up too long because we want people inside pressuring management as well. But each local is doing something different although we are trying to be as uniform as possible.

yes you are blocked both in and out. That being said I don`t see much organization in terms of the amount of time.

Hope your studies are going well

[QUOTE="Got Disney";42606119]Years ago the unions had a great place and they were for the employees....today many unions are so political that it is not about the workers but about them.....they get you more money than raise your union dues.....[/QUOTE]

Sadly, you are correct far too often on this. The big unions look at their spreadsheets and see who's not "contributing" their "fair" share to the union then target them for hard negotiations and strike action. There's little to no concern for the workers, the company, or the economy it becomes all about the union. When you see a union get decertified, this is almost always the case though it has happened in the past where the union is "in bed" with management and exploits the workers that way too. However, it is VERY difficult to get a union decertified in most areas, usually much more difficult then unionizing to begin with.

While I understand the historical need for unions, and the current need for some unions in places where management is very difficult (oddly, that's usually in the public sector), large unions lack the connections with the people they are supposed to be helping and often become just another large bureaucracy only interested in feeding itself.

Best of luck to those on strike! I hope it is resolved soon so you can continue on with your lives and holiday plans :grouphug:

yes you are blocked both in and out. That being said I don`t see much organization in terms of the amount of time.

Hope your studies are going well

I think they're going better now than ever actually since it's such a hassle to get off campus I just stay there between my classes and do homework lol!

I have to add my say into this discussion as my husband is heavily involved with the union that he belongs to_Over the years I've seen companies that have wanted to eliminate pension plans, reduce wages to just above minimum wage, cut benefits down to nothing. These are for jobs that are involved with mechanics, supermarkets, and a variety of higher paying jobs. There's an Extra Foods out in Maple Ridge BC that's been on strike for close to 3 years. It so happens that it's not the unions fault that they are on strike. Loblaws the company that owns it, wants to union bust and is determined to break the unionization at this store to make a point. They have closed all but the pharmacy at this store. So who loses??? The employees are being supported by the union that they belong to, and are getting strike pay for the entire time that they've been on strike. The people surrounding the store lose a store that they had been going to for years, unless the strike is resolved. Loblaws won't even come to the table despite many attempts to get them back to bargaining table on the part of the union. Loblaw's is using this strike to make a point to the other stores, and in the end Loblaws loses nothing, as they are such a big outfit that they are willing to absorb the losses if it means that they can achieve their objective. Just something to think about.

Hi. I am new to this board. It is great so far. But on this topic. Realize I have 3 in college as we speak and had the right to strike taken away at work. So I can see both sides. Funny thing is that I was talking to our "union stewart" last night about it. As far as she knows unoffically the union and the government are both playing dirty. And it is the workers and the students that are suffering. ...

I'd like to make a couple of observations, speaking as an outsider with no skin in the game (other than my tax dollars, LOL) ... number one, it's interesting that you say that (allegedly) both negotiating sides are playing dirty, and that it is the 3rd parties who are suffering. Why would they play dirty? Why would they allow other people to be hurt? Only they can answer that, but I can pretty much guarantee you that no matter how dirty and unethical anyone in the union or government behaves (I'm not saying that they are, but the claim has been made above) ... no matter how disastrous the strike is for workers and students, nobody in the government or in the union leadership is going to lose their job, or lose even a single day's pay and benefits. What is the downside to these top people, if a whole year of pay is lost by the workers and a whole year of school is lost the students? None, as far as I can tell.

Number two ... I've had a number of family members who went on strike at various times over the years. In every single case, at the end of the strike they always said the same thing. "I don't know why we went on strike because the extra pay we got at the end of it will never pay for what we what lost during the strike."

Sorry but I am a union hater. I think they should not exist. I think people get hurt more by them then the benefits they serve. How fair is it for these students to start their "new" school year interrupted on day 1. I am crossing my fingers that Air Canada flight attendants don't walk next week b/c if they do my 6 months of planning goes down the drain, yup that's fair. :rolleyes: What did I do to them? I work hard to get to go on vacation and because they are complaining about their job I will get my vacation delayed or cancelled. You don't liek your job, get another one. Sorry but I have been more inconvenienced by strikers and I am completely fed up.

Now to your situation, seriously you will go to WDW but sell your house b/c you don't have money? Doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps striking workers should all walk back on the job, cross the picket lines and mix it up a bit.

I was almost in the same position as you. We were set to strike Sept. 1st but a deal was reaches at 11:45 pm on the 31st. I also have a trip paid for in Oct. because I never thought for one minute anyone would consider striking.

Turns out our company wanted concessions and were willing to lock us out.

In the end we received a small cut to our benefits, no raise till the 3rd year, but we did get a bonus for the first 2 years. So in the end I feel for today's economy it was fair.

The part that frustrates me is the lack of control I have over my own life. Whether I want to strike or not should be up to me.

So I do feel for you right now.:hug:

Sorry but I am a union hater. I think they should not exist. I think people get hurt more by them then the benefits they serve. How fair is it for these students to start their "new" school year interrupted on day 1. I am crossing my fingers that Air Canada flight attendants don't walk next week b/c if they do my 6 months of planning goes down the drain, yup that's fair. :rolleyes: What did I do to them? I work hard to get to go on vacation and because they are complaining about their job I will get my vacation delayed or cancelled. You don't liek your job, get another one. Sorry but I have been more inconvenienced by strikers and I am completely fed up.

Now to your situation, seriously you will go to WDW but sell your house b/c you don't have money? Doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps striking workers should all walk back on the job, cross the picket lines and mix it up a bit.

While I'm not an union supporter at all, I do understand where the Air Canada flight attendants are coming from. Back when air travel collapsed (10 years ago), AC flight attendants took a $11/hour cut in order to help save the company. Their wages are still not close to what they were once making. Add to that the facts that they're often being forced to sleep on the floor in air terminals between flights and management is attempting to schedule attendants so the higher paid ones quit in frustration. Meanwhile, the CEO made over $4.5 million last year :scared1:

I can understand your frustration at having some serious kinks thrown into your vacation, but don't direct your frustration at the flight attendants who helped save the company by taking massive pay cuts. Direct it at management who gets incredible bonuses.

The flight attendants that I know personally are all hoping a quick resolution is found. They are aware a stoppage means people may miss out on their vacations and are sickened by this, but they simply can not afford to let AC management treat them the way they are anymore. Strike action is the only option available to them.

I am in the union because it came with the job. I am not a supporter actually far from. I am also very vocal about my dislike and disgust of the whole nonesense. I am pretty sure that I would not be supported by my union for any reason after this is all said and done...lol.

On a good note I hear on the news that they will be meeting this weekend so hopefully we will go back to work very soon. I feel for the students they are the only ones who have lost in all this.

I live a block from the college and about three miles from the university (which also has strike action going on at the moment) in my city. I have friends whose spouses work at both institutions and it's very difficult on everyone, even those who aren't in college as there is a big trickle down effect on neighbourhoods, traffic, businesses, etc. Sid Ryan was in town the other day, getting everyone riled up to the point that some strikers (not all) were really hassling people getting into the college and police had to be called. Hour and a half waits, strikers scaring students. Again, not all, just a handful is all it takes to make everyone look bad.
I heard that the college is going back to the table this weekend, I truly hope there is some resolution.
As for planning a trip in a strike year? Why the heck not!? If history has indicated that no strikes have ever come about, I probably would have booked as well. And since when does not having buckets full of money on standby mean you can't take a vacation with your family? I hate the holier than thou attitude some take when it comes to money. If we've learned anything in the past five years, with the recession in the US and the struggle our economy has taken, it's that NO job is guaranteed. For all we know, the original poster saved for years for this trip. Or even a year (as I am doing!). Yes, I have some savings but not a tremendous amount. I'd be okay for awhile should something happen. But I don't let that stop me from enjoying my life and the fruits of my labour. I refuse to do that. Life is too darn short!
I hope that some agreement can be made between the union and the colleges. If I were in the same situation, I think I would cross the picket line too. My family has always go to come first. I don't live or hang out with my co-workers and they're not going to pay my bills when they come in. And anyone who would have a hard time with me doing that wouldn't be someone I'd give a second thought about anyway.

WOW is all I can say. Such a brick wall attitude. Guess you and all around you have always had terrific jobs/great benefits and all you have to do is say to your boss.....my electric bill increased by 25%......but I guess so did yours so please pay me less. Perhaps read up on the history of unions and why they were formed in the first place.

WOW is all I can say. Such a brick wall attitude. Guess you and all around you have always had terrific jobs/great benefits and all you have to do is say to your boss.....my electric bill increased by 25%......but I guess so did yours so please pay me less. Perhaps read up on the history of unions and why they were formed in the first place.

Firstly everyone has the right to voice their opinion, that is what I did ;)

Secondly, I have better things to do with my time than read up on unions :rolleyes:

Thirdly I am not the only one that dislikes unions, its been a battle for years, it may have had a very good purpose years and years ago (I know the history of unions) but not now its a misuse of the system

Fourthly I pay for ALL my benefits, I am self employed which I believe is the hardest job to have and keep. Nobody helps me with anything. I am responsible for myself, my family and my workers future (having enough work for them). So NO I don't go to my boss and say that I AM THE BOSS ! So your conclusion is 100% wrong!

Ca grocery stores are getting ready to stricken because the unions don't like they asking the employees to pay a mere $7 more a month for health care.....the corporations already pay 90% of there healthcare....

Maybe they would prefer to pay what I do for a family of 4.... $1350.00 a month.....this is what I hate....

They seem not to want to take in allowance that Obamacare has increased everyone's Ins and the economy on these businesses are not great either...not to mention the increase gets passed down to us....

Also by the time the stricken is over the only one that benefits is the union...dues get raised and the amount of money that was striker for will take years to catch up to the amount they lost stikeing .....

Here's the article....

[/quote]Thousands of Southern California grocery workers have voted overwhelmingly to reject a health care proposal from major supermarket chains and authorize their union leaders to call a strike, a spokesman said early Sunday.

More than 90 percent of voters from the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 770, which has
about 62,000 members, rejected the proposal from Vons, Ralphs and Albertsons stores.

The rejection automatically authorizes union officials to call a strike after 72 hours

Shimpock did not have precise numbers on how many voted, but said the turnout was “huge.”

The union will report the results to the dispute’s federal mediator on Monday and that more talks would likely follow.

“We’re willing to come back to the table and stay there,” Shimpock said. “Our goal here is not to go on strike, we don’t want to go on strike, but unfortunately we’ve been pushed into a corner by these corporations.”

A four-month strike and lockout that began in 2003 cost Ralphs and other grocery chains an estimated $2 billion.

Messages left for grocery store representatives were not immediately returned, but Ralphs Grocery Co. spokeswoman Kendra Doyel previously told The Associated Press that her chain is committed to staying at the table to negotiate, and the grocers’ proposal was affordable and good for employees
and their families.

Union members have been working without a contract since March.

Both sides announced last month that they had reached a tentative agreement on the employers’ contributions to pension benefits, but health care costs have been a major sticking point.

Ralphs currently pays more than 90 percent of employee health coverage costs, Doyel said. Workers hired before 2004 pay nothing for health insurance while those hired later pay either $7 a week for single coverage or $15 a week for family coverage.

The companies’ proposal would raise that to $9 a week for singles and $23 a week for families. That
is much lower than the average cost of health care insurance in California, she said. [\quote]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter