On site/Off site Dilemma

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Tiffany507s, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Tiffany507s

Tiffany507s Mouseketeer

Hey everyone!

Right off the bat: I know that the question/scenario I am discussing will come with widely varying opinions and everyone is different, etc etc but I really just want to hear all opinions and just get some feedback.

Background: DH and I have been to WDW 7+ times all on site always value accommodations always been in the "Disney Bubble"

DH and I have been very blessed this summer to be able to spend a month in the Orlando area...this is basically a Disney vacation with sprinkles of Universal/SeaWorld/Shopping/Beaches/Other Orlando Activities. Now my original plan was to stay two weeks on site and two weeks off site, which came out to around $3,000 (accommodations only). However, I just found this amazing 1bed1bath condo that the owner will rent to us for $1,500 for the entire month.

I LOVE staying onsite as lackluster as values may really be if you are being unbiased..but I also LOVE the idea of saving $1,500:rotfl:...sooo much can be done with that money to make this trip AMAZING. But I am having trouble shaking the desire to stay in the bubble (is that the brainwashing?:lmao:)...I just need to get this out there with people that will understand where I am coming from and gather some opinions.

FYI..we will have a car whenever we are offsite if that comes up in your mind.

Sorry it's so long...I can never be short with this stuff it seems! :confused3

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. kmb584

kmb584 DIS Veteran

I would stay off-site for the entire month.. that's an incredible price! What about booking your last full week on-site? That way you're saving money and still getting to experience the Disney bubble.

4. pixiemama91

pixiemama91 Mouseketeer

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. We have done it both ways as we own a timeshare. Staying in the timeshare is definitely cheaper and we get a full kitchen, laundry as well as more space to spread out which is nice after a long day in the park. You can keep costs down because you can cook some of your meals and pack less because you can do laundry. However you are not in the "bubble" and need to pay for parking each day (unless you have AP's) and you have to drive on vacation. Since I am the one to always do the driving this is not my favorite thing.

5. TwoAtDisney

TwoAtDisney Julie

After 1 week, we get tired of "hotel life" - uncomfortable furniture/reclining on bed most of the time, tv channels not much, cramped space, no laundry facilities that are free/clean, poor wifi, etc. We also get tired of eating out for every meal - a month would be miserable. All of the villa conveniences would be wonderful.

So, I would vote for the offsite villa.

Also, what's the thrill of staying in a value since you will not need to use the transportation - maybe the crowds, screaming kids, cramped room, bad tv? Don't know how close your villa is, but when we stay offsite, we don't find it any trouble to drive to DTD, parks, etc. In fact, we enjoy the independence so much that we even drive everywhere when staying onsite. Now we only stay onsite if we want free dining & we are gradually drifting away from even that.

Offsite, you can still drive & eat at Disney & still enjoy the parks & DTD & even ride the transportation if you want - bus, monorail, boats. You can still sit by Disney waterways & enjoy the scenery. Save the money for the next trip!

6. Lisa71

Lisa71 Adoption Rocks!

With that deal I would stay off except maybe two nights at poly or something...just because

7. Pats Dragon

Pats Dragon DIS Veteran

offsite sounds amazing and the room will be much nicer. I only stay onsite because I drive a lot with my job and it is worth a lot to just park my car. For a whole month though I would choose nicest and cheapest.

8. Tiffany507s

Tiffany507s Mouseketeer

You guys are awesome! I pulled the trigger and went with the condo for the month. :)

Lisa-I like your thinking...I need to look up some rates for a deluxe for a day or two! :)