On board Navigator App Screenshots and review (incremental)

Wait ..so there is no charge to connect to wifi for the app or to connect to wifi period???

Wait ..so there is no charge to connect to wifi for the app or to connect to wifi period???

WiFi usage is free only for the upcoming app for the Navigators. The app was/is being testing on the 9/7 & 9/14 Fantasy sailings. No word on when it will officially launch.

From the app description:
To use Disney Fantasy – Navigator, download the app, and once on board, connect to the ship’s WiFi network—complimentary to app users only—and enjoy your cruise in an exciting new way.

So you turn on wifi and connect to the app = no cost. What would happen if something on your phone tried to use the wifi to connect and, for instance, download email without your prompting? Do you have to have logged on and affirmatively decided to pay for that to happen? I don't know why (since I don't even know that they'll have this on my cruise in November), but I'm obsessed about how this works with the on-board wifi and charges for that...:confused3

You have to login to the system for you to get to the internet. As long as you don't, you won't incur charges.

I would still recommend putting your phone in airplane mode, then turn on wifi.

Just looked at it on the app store. Under description it says: Disney Fantasy-Navigator is available for use while aboard the Disney Fantasy only during the September 7 and September 14 sailings.

Disney, if you are listening, please roll this out to all your sailings!!

Aww ... So close! Maybe Disney will be really nice and leave it on for the 9/21 sailing? :) Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Can Not Wait!!!:) Hope they do this sooner than later!!:cheer2: What fun to see all your activities, plans, and events! Come on DCL, send it to the Wonder, say in about 9 DAYS? :rotfl:

Here's a few more screenshots of the app:

http://imgur.com/St0BSYS
http://imgur.com/Ao1JIXq
http://imgur.com/6HEbt4v
http://imgur.com/veshXVl
http://imgur.com/El43L2P

All in all, I really like the idea and I hope DCL will deploy it to all their ships. It's so convenient to have the navigator in your pocket in a moment's notice and on your tablet for more detailed planning. The two things that's currently missing now that would make it even more valuable are:

Notifications: the app should sound/vibrate when an event or activity you marked is coming up (say, 15 minutes before). With so many things to do on board is not all that difficult to forget special activities you wanted to do.

Agenda view: think iCal or Google Calendar daily layout where at a glance you can see your planned activities for the day as well as those of other people in your stateroom (if applicable).

Having just returned from last week's Fantasy WC cruise, I decided to write a review on their new mobile app. Got it all done and went to post. Unfortunately, since I am a DIS reader more than a DIS poster, I can post pictures until I reach 10 posts, so I am posting a few more times then I will add the complete review of the app.

So if I am using the Fantasy Navigator app, can I then use other apps on my phone without a wifi usage charge?

So if I am using the Fantasy Navigator app, can I then use other apps on my phone without a wifi usage charge?

no. I wish! Your Internet connection is handled by a third party vendor, so you need to pay for internet access for all your internet needs. The app itself does use the ship's WiFI, but doesn't use the Internet which why there is no charge to use, at the moment.

I sailed the Disney Fantasy last week and used the new app. Two thumbs up!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 It worked great. You had an entire week of menus, character appearance schedule, movie times, at your fingertips.

Standing in line to see Buzz Lightyear only to be told that you just missed the cutoff and that the line is now for Sheriff Woody? No problem. Just go into the current listing of character appearances for the day, tap on Buzz Lightyear and see his individual scheduled appearances for the rest of the week. Want to limit your visits with characters to the hour before dinner time, but need to know who is appearing between 4:45 and 5:45 for the rest of the week? No problem. Just tap on the character appearances for individual days.

Not feeling like having the salmon tonight, but not wanting to miss out on eating fish altogether? No problem. Just select the day you want and look at the dinner menu for that night.

Want to see what is going on in the Oceaneer's Club/Lab tomorrow and the next day? No problem, the entire schedule is available. Can't remember if Cabanas is on the front or the back of the ship? Just look it up on the ship map.

The paper copy of the Navigator works great. But, the app was a very convenient thing to have in a pinch, and was awesome for looking ahead at future days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter