? on bicycles at VWL

melk

DIS Veteran
Are there bicycles to rent at the villas at Wilderness Lodge? Can you bike to Fort Wilderness? Also, if we brought our own bicycles, do you think it is safe enough to leave them on our patio (we could lock them of course). Anyone ever do this or is too much of a hassle? Thank you!

Yes, there are bikes to rent at the marina at the VWL. You can purchase an unlimited package for you length of stay that includes use of the bikes and the boats for $199. I believe the only thing not included is the use of the surrey bikes, which are for 2-6 people with a child carrier on the front. I am not sure of the hourly price on the bike rentals.

We were there in January and I did see a couple bikes chained to a tree down by the marina, but I do not know who's bikes they were and if it is really "allowed". Even if you have a ground floor room, I do not think there are paths to the patios. You should probably call guest services at the Wilderness Lodge and ask if there are places to leave your own bikes. Please let me know as we have also talked about taking our bikes with, as my parents will be camping in an RV at the campground, and it would be a very easy way to get around!!

There is a very nice paved path that takes you from the Wilderness Lodge to the Campground. It is about a 15 minute walk or maybe about 5 by bike. We walked it many times, and took a surrey bike once.

Have a fun trip!!

Dittos on above post. I would only add that if you rent hourly, you do get a DVC Membership discount if you are staying on points. Just show them your room key, and remind them about the discount (10%). We return March 23rd, and we rented bikes, twice, each time riding over to FW. The bikes were in good shape, and the seats easily adjust with a quick release lever.

for renting the bikes? Does anyone know if they have bikes as small as 14", and what are the rules about helmets?

What is the minimum height for a "pedaler" of the surrey bike?
THANKS!:)

They supply the helmets at no charge for the kids, adults don't need them. Minimum height I believe is 54" for the surrey bikes peddelers. I did see smaller bikes around 14", and the hourly rate is $7.50, however, there is a 10% DVC discount if you are staying on points. Don't forget they have 2 new rental options, $115 for up to 4 hours rental for everyone in your party, and $199 for for unlimited rentals for everyone in your party. This includes the marina water mice.

Funny that one can rent a bike for $20 for the week in HH and buy a decent bike for $150 and then donate it once finished.

When we were at WL last November my wife and I walked to FW, and along the way were passed by two bikers. On returning to WL I saw the same bikes (a nice pair of FS Cannondales) chained up outside of the villas. Don't know if this is an allowable practice, but I would rather ride my own bike than a rental.

Now that would be the quickest way to MGM from the BW!

OK so the helmets are REQUIRED only for children.

BUT do they have ADULT helmets to use?

And are they included in the bike rentals or do you have to pay extra?

Thanks,

Mike

I'm sorry, I did not notice or ask about helmets for adults. They didn't offer me one, nor did I have a desire to use one. As for children, they were free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter