omg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats the key of your post.

Most people don't KNOW they have it.

A mental condition that some people have, is not a justification for alcohol abuse in its entirety. There are plenty of alcoholics who got hooked because of something other than a disorder. Besides, an addictive personality does not completely guarantee that the person will become addicted to anything that they try.

And if someone is truly responsible about consuming alcohol, then they will find out if trying it is safe for them, and complies with their own personal values or morals. If someone were really mature, and serious about drinking, then they would find out about their own health and personal risks, before drinking. One of the biggest problems is that people just assume that they will be perfectly fine consuming alcohol, without considering possible health concerns of their own.

A mental condition that some people have, is not a justification for alcohol abuse in its entirety. There are plenty of alcoholics who got hooked because of something other than a disorder. Besides, an addictive personality does not completely guarantee that the person will become addicted to anything that they try.

And if someone is truly responsible about consuming alcohol, then they will find out if trying it is safe for them, and complies with their own personal values or morals. If someone were really mature, and serious about drinking, then they would find out about their own health and personal risks, before drinking. One of the biggest problems is that people just assume that they will be perfectly fine consuming alcohol, without considering possible health concerns of their own.

That's a bit unreasonable.

But it is justifiably for the portion of alcohol abuse I was speaking of.

And do you consult a doctor, a psychologist, and have a complete mental and physical check up before trying something? No, I really didn't think you did. And neither will someone with this condition.

Mental disorders can hit you at any time. You're not always born with them. I was born with my addictive personality, but you can also develop one at any point in your life.

Trust me, I live with mine every day. I know.

But it is justifiably for the portion of alcohol abuse I was speaking of.

I can agree with that, to some degree. But that medical condition certainly does not justify the other, greater portion of alcohol abuse. Just those that have become addicted because of their medical condition.

Spax said:
And do you consult a doctor, a psychologist, and have a complete mental and physical check up before trying something? No, I really didn't think you did. And neither will someone with this condition.

I was pretty unreasonable with the assumption that all people must get examined before trying something, but then again, I have to, so I guess I took my own personal experience too far.

My mom started casually having alcoholic drinks maybe four times a month, after years of not having any alcohol, and then she started having horrible pains. Turns out, her liver got really hard, and was basically pickling in her body. The doctors said that she had the liver of a long-term alcoholic, even though she wasn't even drinking that much. Because of this, along with my maternal family's history of alcoholism and my constant health problems, I do have to check with my doctor before any change to my normal diet, which includes consuming alcohol. I suppose after growing up constantly having to worry about my health, it has just become natural for me to assume that everyone is as cautious as I have to be.

Sparx said:
Mental disorders can hit you at any time. You're not always born with them. I was born with my addictive personality, but you can also develop one at any point in your life.

Trust me, I live with mine every day. I know.

Usually, addictive personalities are detected at an early age, but in cases where they develop later in life, I can see where you are going with this. What I'm trying to say here, is that although what you're saying about addictive personalities is true, it certainly does not justify all forms of alcohol abuse. I think what I failed to make clear, is that I agree with you when it concerns mental conditions such as that, but that I also believe addictive personalities can not be held accountable for every alcoholic. That concept is quite far-fetched, and I think that you feel the same way.

I think that this conversation has gone too far into addictive personalities. This is a major misunderstanding on both of our parts. I was not even talking about mental conditions in my post, I was talking about people who can control themselves. I really didn't intend to talk about people with addictive personalities. I think we stand on the same side of the fence, regarding that. I am talking about regular people, who can control themselves, and how they should be responsible. An undetected addictive personality is an entirely different situation.

I can agree with that, to some degree. But that medical condition certainly does not justify the other, greater portion of alcohol abuse. Just those that have become addicted because of their medical condition.

I was pretty unreasonable with the assumption that all people must get examined before trying something, but then again, I have to, so I guess I took my own personal experience too far.

My mom started casually having alcoholic drinks maybe four times a month, after years of not having any alcohol, and then she started having horrible pains. Turns out, her liver got really hard, and was basically pickling in her body. The doctors said that she had the liver of a long-term alcoholic, even though she wasn't even drinking that much. Because of this, along with my maternal family's history of alcoholism and my constant health problems, I do have to check with my doctor before any change to my normal diet, which includes consuming alcohol. I suppose after growing up constantly having to worry about my health, it has just become natural for me to assume that everyone is as cautious as I have to be.

Usually, addictive personalities are detected at an early age, but in cases where they develop later in life, I can see where you are going with this. What I'm trying to say here, is that although what you're saying about addictive personalities is true, it certainly does not justify all forms of alcohol abuse. I think what I failed to make clear, is that I agree with you when it concerns mental conditions such as that, but that I also believe addictive personalities can not be held accountable for every alcoholic. That concept is quite far-fetched, and I think that you feel the same way.

I think that this conversation has gone too far into addictive personalities. This is a major misunderstanding on both of our parts. I was not even talking about mental conditions in my post, I was talking about people who can control themselves. I really didn't intend to talk about people with addictive personalities. I think we stand on the same side of the fence, regarding that. I am talking about regular people, who can control themselves, and how they should be responsible. An undetected addictive personality is an entirely different situation.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGJKLSAJDFKLA:SJFWEOIJFKLSJFLKAJFKDJKSLJWFALLFEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not ALL roses are red.
Not ALL music is good.
Not ALL pizza is round.
Not ALL balls bounce.
Not ALL cars are fast.
Not ALL spiders are bad.
Not ALL sharks eat man.
Not ALL groups of people like Disney.
Not ALL of our generation is lazy.
Not ALL days are sunny.

I'm sorry if I've offended you, however. I'm sick and tired of someone saying something about a particular group of people, and then watching someone step up and say how not ALL of that group is like that. Look, she was only talking about one particular group of Alchoholics. We know not ALL alchoholism is caused by mental disorders that people already had. I'm also sick of someone using something to compare. Just compare. Not to say how it's similar, just to use it as an example to make a point, then have someone be like...IT'S NOT THE SAME!

Garsh.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGJKLSAJDFKLA:SJFWEOIJFKLSJFLKAJFKDJKSLJWFALLFEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not ALL roses are red.
Not ALL music is good.
Not ALL pizza is round.
Not ALL balls bounce.
Not ALL cars are fast.
Not ALL spiders are bad.
Not ALL sharks eat man.
Not ALL groups of people like Disney.
Not ALL of our generation is lazy.
Not ALL days are sunny.

I'm sorry if I've offended you, however. I'm sick and tired of someone saying something about a particular group of people, and then watching someone step up and say how not ALL of that group is like that. Look, she was only talking about one particular group of Alchoholics. We know not ALL alchoholism is caused by mental disorders that people already had. I'm also sick of someone using something to compare. Just compare. Not to say how it's similar, just to use it as an example to make a point, then have someone be like...IT'S NOT THE SAME!

Garsh.

I know that Shelby was not saying all alcoholics have an addictive personality... and neither was I.

I am not sure what you are getting at. :confused3

I know that Shelby was not saying all alcoholics have an addictive personality... and neither was I.

I am not sure what you are getting at. :confused3

She made a comment on a group of alchoholics, and you went on to say how not all alchoholics are like that. Maybe not in those terms, but you did.

OK i think this has gone as far as it can really, yes it was irresponsible but hopefully the OP has got the idea that drinking isnt fun. maybe she didnt realise the risks?? we have given her a hard time if thats the case :confused3

OP: hopefully you understand everything clearly now. :thumbsup2

I do not understand why this thread was made.
I don't understand why the OP felt the need to promote the face that she had a vodka cooler? :confused3

I've read through this board, and it's quite sort of interesting to see everyone's opinions on the topic though.

In my personal opinion, I don't care if people drink. I won't be a hypocrite and say it's bad to drink, but I don't understand the point in publicizing it on the DISBOARDS??

In Ontario, the legal drinking age is 19, but you can drink in your own house without the police interferring. Police here are actaully pretty leniant about the drinking age stuff. I was once at a party in someone's backyard and the police came, and everyone was drunk, and they didn't hand out ONE ticket. They were very nice and they just told us to quiet down a bit.

And at the beach for our prom after party, all the cabins where all the high schoolers were are on private property and the police couldn't come in and "bust" anyone for drinking. But if you bring a can of beer outside the property you can get a ticket. (not that many people did, as i said, the police are extremely 'lax about such things)

ANYWAYS, once again, don't see the need for people to be bragging on the DISBOARDS when they have a vodka cooler.

that is not good, I hate alcohol well i'm not even legal to drink it but anywy I think it is horrible for people, espiccally whe they have to much. just my oppinion

She made a comment on a group of alchoholics, and you went on to say how not all alchoholics are like that. Maybe not in those terms, but you did.

I don't see the problem with that. I mean, I know that not all alcoholics have an addictive personality, and I know that not all alcoholics don't have an addictive personality.

No harm done, I was just pointing it out, strictly for the purpose of getting our conversation back on track. I was not talking about addictive personalities, so I was trying to steer back on track, with a sort of ''Yes. But anyway...''

I'm not sure how that is a bad thing, so uhm... sorry? :confused3

I don't see the problem with that. I mean, I know that not all alcoholics have an addictive personality, and I know that not all alcoholics don't have an addictive personality.

No harm done, I was just pointing it out, strictly for the purpose of getting our conversation back on track. I was not talking about addictive personalities, so I was trying to steer back on track, with a sort of ''Yes. But anyway...''

I'm not sure how that is a bad thing, so uhm... sorry? :confused3

But that's the thing. You don't NEED to point it out. We know already. We're not stupid.

It just gets redundant when someone does it for every little thing. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but you just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

But that's the thing. You don't NEED to point it out. We know already. We're not stupid.

It just gets redundant when someone does it for every little thing. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but you just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

That's understandable. I know that I don't need to point it out, I guess I was just trying to emphasize my own point.

But, I know what you mean.

To the younger teenagers DO NOT DRINK...IT WILL MESS YOU UP...if you think your all bad a** drinking and stuff, THINK AGAIN due to alcohol, i've had to call 911 twice because my brother have tried to commit suicide because of his drinking problem. My brother also has hepititis because of excessive drinking. My dad has nerve problems beacsue he drank so much in the past. I will NEVER drink...i'm 17 and I no desires to drink what so ever.

To the younger teenagers DO NOT DRINK...IT WILL MESS YOU UP...if you think your all bad a** drinking and stuff, THINK AGAIN due to alcohol, i've had to call 911 twice because my brother have tried to commit suicide because of his drinking problem. My brother also has hepititis because of excessive drinking. My dad has nerve problems beacsue he drank so much in the past. I will NEVER drink...i'm 17 and I no desires to drink what so ever.

o_O

I thought you got Hepititis from blood, not drinking.:confused3

Hepititis is a liver disease, he got it from sex, but if he didnt drink so much the hepititis wouldnt have been able to take affect

Hepatitis.

And I might not know much about this disease, but I didn't know you can get it from sex. What type does he have?

Hepatitis.

And I might not know much about this disease, but I didn't know you can get it from sex. What type does he have?

Yes, Hepatitis B you can get from sexual relations with an infected partner, water, sharing needles with an infected person, or a baby can get it from an infected mother.

Hepatitis A, B, C, and D can be contracted by having sex with an infected person. I'm not so sure about Hepatitis E though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter