OMG - Am I really going to do this again?! SIX MONTH UPDATE 6/26 - Post #54

I wish I could take a picture - but I don't want to disturb him.

Right now Moo is in his carrier (in the cage) sleeping on his back with his belly exposed and his paws curled up under his armpits (with a fleece blanket under him). Something tells me he never slept in such a vulnerable position out on the streets.

So even though he won't let me touch him and I have doubts about how I'll be able to tame him - I'm so happy that he is warm and feels safe enough to sleep in that position. :goodvibes

- Laura

Oh Yeah It really sounds like he came from a home. I can't imagine a ferel cat sleeping like that. The only truley ferel cat I've had contact with was a female who had kittens under the stairway of a friends apartment. She took her in kept her and 1 kitten, then adopted the other kittens out, one to us :-) Well the Mother and all of the kitten eventually made their way back to the wild. Our little boy pushed the patio door open and disappeared when he was 9 months old. I cried for days. It's just the way it is with ferel cats but if they chose to stay with you they are not truely ferel. Again Good Luck, and Bless You !

Thought I’d post a two-month update on Moo. :)

His eye infection wasn’t clearing up and further tests showed that he has Feline Herpes. Naturally that upset me – I am concerned about Blackie and Doodle catching it. He went on two doses of medication and his outbreak cleared up. I’ll have to do my best to keep his outbreaks under control and keep my other boys safe and healthy.

Other than that – I think we are making progress. He still won’t let me hold him – he is very hissy. But I have managed to pet him a little. He doesn’t have full run of the house yet – but he is out of the cage 80% of the time and has full run of the spare bedroom/computer room.

Here is Moo hanging out near his cage:

ry%3D400

Blackie does not get along with him – Blackie gets very defensive, hisses and lunges at him. Moo doesn’t really seem too fazed by it – usually backs down for a minute or two and then get right back in Blackie’s face. One day while I was at work – Moo peed on Blackie’s bed. :eek: (I think it was done out of spite – there are two litter boxes in Moo’s room and he never exhibited any problems using them.) For the time being, I make sure they are separated when I’m not home.

When it comes to Doodle (who is just a lovable dope), Moo seems to have the upper-hand. He routinely swats at Doodle and corners him. I think Doodle is just a submissive cat – he and Blackie have the same relationship.

Here is Moo resting in Doodle’s cubby (while Doodle just watches):

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I’ll post a more detailed update once he has run of the house, but thought you guys would like to know how Moo was doing. :goodvibes

- Laura

Aw he looks happy! Sunny doodle wants her cat house back though! Lol. Glad to see he is making progress.

my moms cat has feline herpes, so far our other cats (5 at one point when we were sharing a place) are fine. we got one with the kitty version of lupus too and a pink eye carrier.... Guess we get the sick ones!

Aw he looks happy! Sunny doodle wants her cat house back though! Lol. Glad to see he is making progress.

Poor Sunny Doodle is such a pushover - but he had such a bad life (horribly abused by previous owners), that I think it is just his nature. He's thrilled to have a (very!!) full belly, and a warm bed to sleep on.

Guess we get the sick ones!

I don't even know what it is like to have a "normal" cat. :confused3

What a touching, uplifting story. Laura, you are an angel!
Moo is quite beautiful. :)

That is so sweet. Really, it warms my heart to know there such kind people out there...thank you for what you are doing for Moo.

I'll be thinking of you and Moo and would love to see more pictures when he settles into his new home...

This!

First I love cows and I have 4 cats all under the age of 1. So can't really call anyone crazy!!

Look at that! They are so close to touching! :thumbsup2 You have done a great thing, God love you! So happy they are getting along.

Sunday marked six-months since I took Moo in – so I thought I’d provide an update for those who were following my little saga. ;)

Moo has had full run of the house since mid-March. He has quickly fallen into a routine with his brothers. He still won’t let me approach him – but he lets me pet him a little if he’s curled up in his basket and still a little sleepy.

He’s had some issues with urinating outside of the litterbox. I brought him to the vet to rule out any medical issues. I tried everything – would have success for a few days and then he’d do it again. (Unfortunately, he’s peeing on the bed, the rug, the couch, etc.) I was so desperate, that I hired a “cat whisperer”. (More on that in a later post). I finally came across a litter called “Cat Attract” – it is pretty expensive, but so far we’ve strung together almost 2 weeks without an accident. Fingers crossed …

As for how he is getting along with his brothers – he is absolutely OBSESSED with Sunny Doodle. Poor Doodle can’t breath – Moo is attached to him 24/7.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

He and Blackie don’t really get along. Blackie ignores him most of the time and swats at him every now and then. Moo doesn’t really seem to fazed by it – he’ll usually just goes and finds Doodle. Here is a rare picture of the three of them …

ry%3D400

I was hoping he’d be a little more “touchable” by now, but I have to keep reminding myself that he really didn’t have much (if any) human contact for 2 – 3 years.

I’ll pop in with periodic updates – thanks for listening …

- Laura

Awww what a sweet story! I am glad to know I'm not the only crazy cat lady who takes in near-feral cats! You are a saint :)

I have a similar situation. I have cat that I took in as a foster from the local humane society thinking I could 'domesticate' him. He spent the first year of his life in a cage in a van. Well....here we are right years later and he's not exactly friendly. But he, like Moo, LOOOOVES ones of my other cats. I realized no one would adopt a cat that doesn't really want human contact, so I had to keep Peter. Sometimes on rare occasion he will let me pet him or sit with me, and I think he is truly happy.

So Moo may not become an in your lap cat, but you are wonderful for taking him in!!

Awwww, Thanx for the update :) ... You done good, Mama :thumbsup2 ... I love that Moo has a new best buddy in Sunny :lovestruc ... It warms my heart that Moo is no longer alone and now has a wonderful furever home :goodvibes ... Thank you :) ...

Awe, thanks for the update! He looks like he has made himself right at home. Looks like he is doing great! Keep updating! :goodvibes

Those pictures are adorable. The two cats seem like they really like each other. It makes me want to get a friend for mine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter