OMG - Am I really going to do this again?! SIX MONTH UPDATE 6/26 - Post #54

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by mackeysmom, Dec 11, 2012.

1. mackeysmom

mackeysmom Let's Go Mets!

UPDATE ...

On Sunday, I baited the humane trap. Within five minutes, Moo walked right in and set it off. I immediately brought him to the vet. My vet was concerned that he might be sick (due to what appeared to be an infection in his eyes), but didn't want to examine him until he was mildly sedated due to his anxiety. Within a few hours I got a call back from my vet. While he was under, she tested him for feline leukemia and aids (negative for both), she neutered him. He was given his first set of shots, got meds for de-worming, and got an exam. He has a bad upper respitory infection, an eye infection and was dehydrated. :sick:

She said he was still a little dopey (from the anesthesia) and suggested that I pick him up right then and there so I could get him settled in his cage before he was fully alert.

I brought him home and set him up in the same cage I had trained Blackie in. It is a dog crate that has a small covered cat carrier in it (so he can "hide" and feel secure), a litter box, a small bed, food and water dishes, a scratching post and a little perch.

It has been 5 days and we are making progress. By Wednesday, he had figured out what the litterbox is for and is also eating/drinking well. He has been spending most of his time sleeping - but the vet isn't concerned. She said that between the meds and the fact that he is (probably for the first time) able to sleep without fear of predators/the elements she anticipates that he'll spend the better part of the next week or so just sleeping.

He won't let me pet him. I tried too soon and got a little bite. He is very "hissy" when I'm at the cage (changing litter or filling dishes), but I just keep up a steady, even-toned, soft conversation with him and ignore it. I used a long backscratcher to "pet" him under his chin and he seemed to like it.

I realize that I'm going to have to go much slower with him than with Blackie. The vet estimated that he is somewhere between 2 - 3 years old, so it will be a little tougher.

The temperature has dropped the past few days and we are expecting snow tomorrow, so even though I know I have a long road ahead of me, I am happy with the decision I made. As I type this, he is sound asleep, curled up in his little bed. :)

I'll keep you guys updated.

- Laura

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. IheartMickey

IheartMickey I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

Good for you for being so kind. I had posted about wanting to feed the 3 strays around here and got blasted but ended up deciding to do it anyway. I was able to pet one of them and he was so skinny. We leave out dry food and water, and the skinny one has warmed up to me. He let me hold him and pet him.

I did see another woman calling them to her porch, so I think they're being fed by her too. But there used to be four, and now there's only 3. I think they're all siblings. I'm trying to figure out what to do for them, especially the skinny friendly one that I nicknamed Toby. He deserves a good home.

4. DisneyFan32WI

DisneyFan32WI <font color=blue>Sometimes I just like to be plain

I love this update!!! I would've done the same thing.

5. Fly4free

Fly4free DIS Veteran

Glad you took the little guy in and to the vet. You have such a good heart! :flower3: I hate to think how he was suffering. Good luck with him, sounds like you have quite a job ahead of you.

6. IheartMickey

IheartMickey I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

Btw, you just gave me the push to contact a rescue for the kittens here, especially Toby. I've also posted on FB to see if anyone is interested in taking him in.

7. JessicaR

JessicaR <font color=blue>DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>

You did a wonderful thing. :goodvibes :hug:

8. mackeysmom

Good luck finding a home for Toby. :goodvibes

Thanks - I hope in time, he agrees!!

Here's a picture - it is from Sunday, so he looks a little sickly - you can see that his eyes aren't fully open due to the infection. I'll try to get a better one soon ...

[​IMG]

9. Minerva Mouse

Minerva Mouse DIS Veteran

Moo Moo :lmao: Love it!

10. Brit17

Brit17 DIS Veteran

Moo is very lucky to have found you :goodvibes ... You are a very special person :) ... I hope Moo feels all better soon :flower1:

11. LongLiveDisney

LongLiveDisney DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for doing this! Not many kind people around anymore so thank you for rescuing Moo! :)

12. mellvswdw1

mellvswdw1 Mouseketeer

Bless you for taking your time and money to help a precious furbaby. My DH and I have been trying for a long time to have human babies, but have not been successful. We are, however, proud furbaby parents to 5 kitties. Of the 5, two were rescued from DH dad's farm and 3 from a rescue kitty foundation in our town. I don't know what I would do without my babies. The three furbabies that came from the rescue foundation have sad backgrounds. We have one that came from an extreme hording situation(60+ cats) one thrown out in the snow, and one who was being poisoned by a not so nice person. We have bottlefed, loved, cuddled, and sometimes had war wounds from a skittish kitty or three. :) I hope that Moo continues to grow and love you, as I know that he will. My DH and I laugh all the time because our babies follow me from morning to night.....:love:

13. JessicaR

JessicaR <font color=blue>DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>

What a beautiful boy. He trusts you - that is obvious. Thanks for sharing with us! Can't wait to see more of Moo! :goodvibes

14. AlohaPolynesian

AlohaPolynesian DIS Veteran

Wow! Thank you for taking this kitty into your home and most importantly having him neutered! You are wonderful.

15. minnie56

minnie56 <font color=magenta>Whatever it is, he said it is

Bless your heart...baby steps ...how wonderful that 'Moo' has a home now. You have changed his life..and I am sure he will change yours too
    :grouphug:

16. Tuffcookie

Tuffcookie Enjoys an early hour of peace. Is a smart cookie.

mackeysmom, There is a special place in heaven for you! Bless you for your kindness to animals! :goodvibes

TC :cool1:

17. mlittig

mlittig DIS Veteran

Good luck with Moo and please keep us updated on your sweet furbaby :cat:

18. castmemberb4

castmemberb4 DIS Veteran

Laura You are not crazy LOL You did the right thing, I'm sure he's grateful that he is starting to feel better.

IheartMickey Good for You ! I'm happy you've decided to get the babies rescued, most rescues have humane traps that they can bring out and set up.
    Keep us posted.

Cat rescue is VERY close to my heart
    Bless you both.

19. SLP958

SLP958 DIS Veteran

So great to hear such a sweet animal story. Thank You for being kind to this animal.

20. mackeysmom

I wish I could take a picture - but I don't want to disturb him.

Right now Moo is in his carrier (in the cage) sleeping on his back with his belly exposed and his paws curled up under his armpits (with a fleece blanket under him). Something tells me he never slept in such a vulnerable position out on the streets.

So even though he won't let me touch him and I have doubts about how I'll be able to tame him - I'm so happy that he is warm and feels safe enough to sleep in that position. :goodvibes

- Laura

21. DisneyFan32WI

DisneyFan32WI <font color=blue>Sometimes I just like to be plain

I'm so glad he is out of the cold & snow. That poor guy wouldn't last too long out there.

He is a very handsome cat. Can't wait for you to snap a few more shots.