Olympus Evolt Series

For shooting dance and figure skating I would probably consider the 50-200 f/2.8-3.5.. seems like you would need more reach and the 12-60 is f/4 at the long end.

I decided that it would be too heavy to have as a new "walking around lens". There is NO QUESTION the 5-200 is one sweet lens, but for now it will have to stay at the store.

Off to get my new toy out of the box! Hope we have many fine images to make together.

I do like the sling style a lot.

Thumbs up for the sling style from me too :thumbsup2 It was soooo nice in WDW.

I bought an external flash today. My Slingshot is filling up, LOL

Cool, which flash? I can't decide if I want my next photo purchase to be a flash, the 50-200, or a macro lens :confused3

I decided that it would be too heavy to have as a new "walking around lens". There is NO QUESTION the 5-200 is one sweet lens, but for now it will have to stay at the store.

Off to get my new toy out of the box! Hope we have many fine images to make together.

12-60 is definitely the ultimate Oly walk-around lens, congrats! I love my 11-22 but the 12-60 would have been great in WDW for sure.

Code, at the risk of repeating what everyone else has said about your photographs, let me just say: :worship:

Amazing! I got a chance to skim your trip report and noticed a gorilla pod for your pocket fuji. Did you use a gorillapod for your e510?

I promise to get out there and take some pictures I can share soon!

Pea-n-Me - Congrats on finally getting your camera! :cool1: Have fun!

We bought a flash for DH's Sony at Best Buy - marked down from $300 to $60. He has also been looking for lenses for it, so I hate to say that the Alpha 100 may be the camera he uses going forward.

If he takes any pics with the 410 I will have him post!:thumbsup2

I would like to hear how the olympus (any model) works when using the autofocus.
Do you mean auto focus or auto mode?

I don't use auto mode, and I'm still learning about auto focus.

Can you be more specific with your question? Are you asking how the camera shoots if you leave it in auto mode? (What I gathered from your other thread.)

Code, at the risk of repeating what everyone else has said about your photographs, let me just say: :worship:

Amazing! I got a chance to skim your trip report and noticed a gorilla pod for your pocket fuji. Did you use a gorillapod for your e510?

Thanks so much :) I actually have 2 gorillapods, the small one for my Fuji and the medium sized one for the 510...

320_DSC02344.jpg

We used it on a lamp post on Main Street to get up above the crowd for Wishes and the P&PP fireworks :) (with a shutter release cable) I was actually pretty surprised that I was able to get the heavier 11-22 lens to work like this (the 14-42 kit lens has no problems at all)

DSCF0647_800.jpg

.. a sample of the results ..

P1317095_sRGB_LR_NN_lzn_800.jpg

I've thought about getting one of those. Your shot is the first one I have seen with it actually in use. Would the medium hold my E330?

I've thought about getting one of those. Your shot is the first one I have seen with it actually in use. Would the medium hold my E330?

It has no problem at all holding the 510 + either of the new kit lenses but they are very light. The Zuiko 11-22mm and Sigma 30mm both weigh just shy of 1 pound and it just barely holds either of them.

How in the world did I miss that picture of the two cameras on the gorillapods?! I wonder if it would hold the 510 and the 50-200 :-)rotfl2: ). Actually, now I want to find out if it'll hold the 14-54.

Here's a question for everyone: did you fiddle with the noise reduction/sharpness settings on the 510?

How in the world did I miss that picture of the two cameras on the gorillapods?! I wonder if it would hold the 510 and the 50-200 :-)rotfl2: ). Actually, now I want to find out if it'll hold the 14-54.

The 14-54 is the same weight as the 11-22, so it would just barely hold it but I would probably move up to the largest gorillapod w/ a ballhead.

Here's a question for everyone: did you fiddle with the noise reduction/sharpness settings on the 510?

I shoot RAW and use Noise Ninja now but when I first got the 510 I was using NR at Low and Sharp -1. NR off is good for ISO 100 & 200 but I wouldn't recommend it above that.

I shoot RAW and use Noise Ninja now but when I first got the 510 I was using NR at Low and Sharp -1. NR off is good for ISO 100 & 200 but I wouldn't recommend it above that.

There's that word again: RAW... I need to really give RAW another shot. I'm on a Mac and RAW support has been tough No support in Photoshop Elements 3 and they had been dangling the "oh but wait to upgrade because a brand new PE is coming out soon" carrot for ages. Looks like its finally going to happen.

I did try using Olympus Master but it was a pain to use. Way too slow!

Hey, all! I've finally got a few of my first shots to post. They aren't spectacular, but I'm still on the far end of the learning curve here and it's been really cold and windy here.

First, thanks Code for posting the Gorillapod pic - I gotta get me one of those! (Had one in my hand the other day but wasn't sure about it). I cancelled the order on the external flash because I found some reviews on it and they weren't good (a cheapie sold on Amazon, forget the name). I'd rather wait and get a good one.

I did order a learning DVD for the camera which I can't wait to see. DH is going to watch it with me as he'll be using the camera, too, and it'll be fun to learn with someone else. Usually between the two of us we can figure things out!

I can't answer Nauf's question yet but I do plan to fiddle with the settings a bit as it was suggested in some of the reveiws I initially read. Anyone else try it?

OK, my first pics:

3-7-08062.jpg

Two flags signifying gale force winds

3-7-08095.jpg

3-7-08052.jpg

My girl - always a willing subject, but even she was cold

3-7-08010.jpg

DD10

P1010092-1.jpg

And the ones I had the most trouble with, DS10's indoor baseball practice (couldn't figure out which white balance to use, tried sports mode, etc most were fairly blurry)

3-7-08054.jpg

[Copied from another post] The thing that worried me the most - ie which lens to use for what - in using them I think I finally get it. I still am not exactly comfortable with the lenses, but at least I saw what they are meant for. (The two kit lenses are 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zuiko Lenses.) I know that with practice it will come together. (Would someone be able to explain why there are two pieces that move - I get the one that goes in and out, but is there a purpose for the little one at the front?)

I wanted to ask Mckymousefn to post that awesome baseball picture here that I saw posted somewhere else. Really great shot. :thumbsup2 I hope I can get some like it this summer myself.

Nice first shots. If you're not sure what white balance to use you could always do a custom white balance. I use a piece of glossy photo paper and have had good results.

Thanks, donaldduck! Will have to try the paper.

FYI I decided to change back to the original name of this thread. :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter