Older kids "on their own"

pittypat

DIS Veteran
We're going to DL in early June with DS18 and DS16. I know that they will not want to ride all the "little kids" rides that DH and I do (Peter Pan, Snow White, etc.). Just looking for opinions here (no flames, please), but what do you think about letting the sons head to Downtown Disney when they're ready to leave DL and we aren't? We all have cell phones.

If they are responsible enough to go to the mall at home, then yes. They could go to ESPN Zone and play arcade games. You know your kids. At 18 & 16 I would imagine they would be ok alone.

I'm a high school teacher, and I have students that I wouldn't allow to walk to the gym without supervision!! And others who are supporting a family at age 18.

They may surprise you and actually want to ride those rides.

They should be fine! DD17 and her BF18 leave the parks to eat in DTD and enjoy the arcade at ESPNZone. We keep in contact by texting and usually have a pre-designated time to meet for dinner. There are a lot of Disney security staff in DTD as well as CMs...it appears to be a safe environment.

You can register your family online at ESPNZone dot com for MVP cards. This will give each of you 40 free arcade points when you activate your cards at ESPNZone. They don't check ID or age so you can register your whole family :cool1: .

If you trust them, then yes! When I was in HS (many many years ago, lol), we used to go quite frequently without parents. It was a lot of fun. :)

18 is an adult, and 16 isn't far behind. I can imagine I'll be sending my kids off on their own well before they hit those ages, and I'm pretty overprotective.

You know your kids, so if you feel comfortable with it, don't hesitate. We went the WDW two summers ago when DD was 12 and DS was 15. We stayed together most of the time, but let them go together off on their merry way a couple of times with instructions to call us on the cell at pre-set times. Everything went well. We went to DL last year and did the same thing. They did great. In 10 days we will be back in DL with DD, DS, and a cousin. They will want to go on their own at some point. We will do the cell phone thing again. Your kids will thank you for the confidence you have in them! Have fun!!!

if they want to leave its most likely fine

ive been allowed to walk around the park (and go back to my hotel or switch parks or whatever) since i was 11, and im 14 now. disneyland is probabaly the safest place ive ever been, so i can give you 99.999% assurance that they'll be safe if thats what you're worried about.

My DS is now 16, and I've let him go off on his own for short periods on rides or to the arcade with a walkie-talkies and, more recently, a cell phone since he was at least 12. By 15, I was giving him a little more rope. Shortly before he turned 16, he took a friend, and they went many places on their own, including back to the DLH or DTD. OK -- so one of them did leave their parkhopper at a restaurant once, but they caught it quickly enough and were able to retrieve it. No harm no foul. I think they had a great time on their own, and I felt they were perfectly safe. In fact, I bet my DS would be a lot less interested in going back as often if I didn't give him some freedom. When my DS is not with a friend, he has a little more trouble remembering where we were supposed to meet, but when he's with someone else, they seem to help each other remember the instructions. As long as your kids are reasonably responsible, not only would I say it would be OK, but I'd recommend you give them a chance to hang out on their own.

Two summers ago when DD was 19 and DS was 16, they and two friends flew to DLR by themselves. They paid for the trip themselves and even though I was a bit leary, they did very well and managed the Super Shuttle from Orange County Airport and hotel arrangements, etc. without a hitch. I'm very conscientious and still worried about them, but they were very careful. They had one of the best times of their lives and DD made a beautiful scrapbook of their trip. Only you know what works well with your DSs, but I would think with a cell phone, all should be just fine.

Yes they'll be fine, and greatful I'm sure ;) I'm glad to hear you and your dh want to ride the "little kid" rides because dh and I skipped them all last year and everyone on the boards got mad at me so this year we're going to try them out but I wasn't sure if I'd feel old.

If you think they are responsible enough...

When my sister and I were 14 and 15 we totally did Disney alone together. We just had to meet up at the specified time. We were staying at the Disneyland hotel, so we came and went on the Monorail. That was long before cell phones or texting or even the internet...LOL

A year ago my 15 yr old son and his 15 yr old girlfriend traveled to DL with the school Band. After the morning band activities they were allowed to go off on thier own. I really had no control over that and they were just fine.

Becky

Well since the 18 yr old is an adult I don't think you get much of a say one way or another with him.

Unless the 16 yr old gets into constant trouble and you don't think he would be responsible on his own I would let him go, especially with an adult present.

XTinabell, I know what you mean about "feeling old", but I will be riding those rides when I'm 90! I wonder if I'll let DS75 go off own his own THEN!!

My friend (with AP's) has two teenage DD's and they rarely stay with the their parents all day.

I took my DD (16) and her friend (15) in October and although they were allowed to go off on their own, they opted to stay with me. I think that was more of them not wanting me to have to be by myself though.

As others have said, you know your boys. If you think they can handle it, I'm sure they'll be fine.

We're going to DL in early June with DS18 and DS16. I know that they will not want to ride all the "little kids" rides that DH and I do (Peter Pan, Snow White, etc.). Just looking for opinions here (no flames, please), but what do you think about letting the sons head to Downtown Disney when they're ready to leave DL and we aren't? We all have cell phones.

I think 18&16 yo's are old enough to go to DTD by themselves. For my 18th birthday (just last year) my parents let us (20,20,20,18,16,16) go to Disneyland by ourselves. Its good that they go together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter