Old Rare Character Pics (Updated! Lots of New Pics on Page4)

DisneyDan80

Earning My Ears
Hey all I was going through old family pictures and Disney News magazines and I found some pictures of characters that I haven't really seen online before.

Here's a pic of a parade float featuring Oliver & Company:

Oliver.jpg

A parade pic of Mr. Walrus from Alice and Wonderland long before he was relegated to the candy trail at MNSSHP.

Mr.jpg

Finally I found this in the Winter 1986-87 issue of the old Magic Kingdom Club publication called "Disney News". It is a picture of Basil and Ratigan from the Great Mouse Detective. I'm not sure if these characters ever appeared at WDW since the story talks about Disneyland but it is rumored that Ratigan did not last too long because he was too frightening to children.

GreatMouse.jpg

Hope you enjoy.
Dan

alfred molina is scary to children? actually, now that you mention it..

i think mr. walrus looks different now anyway.. everything looks so soft

Very cool photos! I like that era, right before the Disney princesses hit it big. Wonder where the Oliver and Company costumes are now,lol.

Thanks for the great pics. Let's see if we can get others to post older pictures with chacters in them that have been forgotten.

It seems to me that whenever a movie is new, the characters are out in full force for promotional/marketing strategy. Many kids these days don't even know the Oliver & Company movie*, it didn't turn out to be all that popular in the long run, so the characters don't come out much if at all. Same with Great Mouse Detective*. I saw the Meet the Robinsons characters last month... I wonder how common they will be 15-20 years from now?

Disclaimer! I personally enjoy these movies, but they aren't really "classics" like many of the movies that you do still see characters from. I just don't want anyone to think I'm saying the movies are bad.

I haven't scanned all the pics from my first tip in 1986 (including one with Dreamfinder and Figment -different from Figment now). Last Aug. we saw Space Mickey and Goofy, which I'll show for comparison, but they weren't the same as the 80s "space" versions of characters found at Epcot (which I've posted below):

The current "space" characters (not the same, but neat nonetheless):
newspacemick.jpg

Classic "Space" Mickey:
oldspmick.jpg

"Space" Pluto:
spacepluto.jpg

And finally, "Space" Chip and Dale:
spchipdale.jpg

I would absolutely love it if Oliver made a comeback, like Marie from the Aristocats (who I met in Jan.). My cats are named Marie and Oliver after these characters, and while it's easy to find Marie products, and now meet here, there's really nothing for Oliver. Really nice pic!

ROFL at Spacey Pluto! Let's slap a pinwheel on his head and call it futuristic!! Gotta love the 80s, really.

I remember thinking they looked stupid back then. Seeing the pictures just confirms that I was not an idiot in the 80s (despite what might seem like photographic evidence to the contrary).

i know that the toy story characters are at mgm, but here are pics from the toy story parade they used to have....

File0004.jpg

File0005.jpg

Awesome pictures everyone. I've never seen a photo of Basil before, so that's cool to see. Here's a few more pics of some rare characters from the past:

dchp-poppinsgummi.jpg

dch-davybeard.jpg

dchp-junglebook.jpg

OMG, I wish the Gummi Bears would make a return!

Launchpad is out once in awhile, Darkwing Duck too...plus, you can still find Chip and Dale in their Rescue Rangers gear.

And these shows are all out on DVD...

...I would freak out if I could meet any of the Gummi Bears (what can I say, I'm a child of the 80s :) )

OMG these pictures are great.. I unfortunately didn't get to go to DW till 99 so in about 10 more years mine will be good.. :rotfl2: I so miss the gummy bears too and the wuzzles.. :thumbsup2 Yep i'm an 80's kid too!!:yay:

you can still find Chip and Dale in their Rescue Rangers gear.

Is that still true? Where have you seen them? We saw them once a couple of years ago on our way into the Tiki Bird room. When we came out they were gone... and haven't seen them since. :(

OH man there was a Dodger costume?!
too bad he'll probably never get dusted off and sent out again :(

I wonder why Disney doesn't revive the older movies once in a while the way they used to when I was a kid. If they hadn't, I would never have seen 101 Dalmations, Lady and the Tramp, or Sleeping Beauty. Now, I'm afraid kids will have no clue about any characters other than the princesses, more because of merchandising than the original movies, and whatever Pixar characters are currently flooding the market.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter