Old, New & Long Lost Friends, with a Side of Frump! FINISHED! DL TR started 1.20.14!

Chapter 37: Adventureland Challenge and "Missing" our Bus

t764.jpg

As I mentioned, Fantasyland was CROWDED, so we trekked over to Adventureland. I know some of you may have been shocked by the fact that Scott and I split a cupcake at Be Our Guest instead of each getting our own, but we knew we'd have a mission to complete before leaving Walt Disney World.

Pineapple Dole Whip vs. Citrus Swirl!

We had not been to Walt Disney World since the Citrus Swirl and the Orange Bird returned to Sunshine Tree Terrace, but knew a lot of people loved them. Scott and I adore the Pineapple Dole Whip, so we were both intrigued to see how the two stacked up next to each other. Scott got in line at Aloha Isle while I went to Sunshine Tree Terrace.

Hello Orange Bird!

72414_10100301779543323_2134726142_n.jpg

There was absolutely no one in line over at Sunshine Tree Terrace, so I was able to get my Citrus Swirl immediately. That's definitely one advantage over the Dole Whip!

62765_10100301779762883_1934998855_n.jpg

I walked back over to Scott, and he hadn't gotten very far in his line. Since we knew the Citrus Swirl would melt if we waited to start eating it until we had the Dole Whip, we decided to start taste-testing while in line, and just make sure we save some for immediate comparison.

As we were waiting in line, something happened which brought a tear to my eye. One of the saddest things I have ever witnessed at Walt Disney World.

582404_10100301779752903_2073549990_n.jpg

Someone dropped their Dole Whip!! A moment of silence for such a significant loss.

We finally got our Dole Whip (which did not have a rendezvous with the ground), and walked over to Frontierland so we could sit in the shade while we ate.

487965_10100301779872663_1732272389_n.jpg

And the winner was...DOLE WHIP! I liked the Citrus Swirl when I was really able to combine the orange crush with the ice cream, but the orange on its own was a bit too intense for me. While we were eating our treats, I had both my phone and camera out to get pictures. Some musicians were walking by and one of them started laughing heartily. He pointed at me and said "There's no way I could multi-task like that!"

lpiu.jpg

After completing our Adventureland Challenge, I checked the time and figured we'd have enough time to do one more quick ride before we'd have to get the bus back to Saratoga Springs to get on the DME. I knew EXACTLY where I wanted to go!

522604_10100301780197013_663060398_n.jpg

its a small world had either been down or with a huge wait every other time we had tried to ride it on this trip, and I was determined to fit it in before we left!

580578_10100301780291823_1461797226_n.jpg

188841_10100301780616173_66483769_n.jpg

599218_10100301780501403_67912453_n.jpg

549242_10100301780631143_1600355064_n.jpg

601610_10100301780835733_1216308989_n.jpg

Our DME bus was going to be leaving at 3:00, so I knew we'd have to hustle in order to make it in time.

So long Magic Kingdom!

426546_10100301780805793_213252395_n.jpg

I don't want to leave!

580628_10100301780885633_1065272701_n.jpg

Although backing up a minute - I was glad that our trip was ending that day, and not beginning, because Magic Kingdom was seriously getting overrun by tour groups. Yikes!

ic0x.jpg

As it turns out, I didn't need to hustle. As soon as we arrived at Saratoga Springs and stepped off the Magic Kingdom bus, we proceeded to watch the Disney's Magical Express pull away from the resort. Scott says we missed the bus. I say we "missed" it. We were able to get a spot on the next bus which would be arriving in half an hour. I JUST GOT US MORE TIME IN DISNEY, YOU'RE WELCOME SCOTT!

Since we had some time to kill, I decided to do another wander through the gift shop to see if anything caught my eye, and to pick up a couple Mickey rice krispie treats to bring home with us.

Once our DME bus arrived (booooooooo), we boarded and while listening to the music, I immediately started tearing up. One Little Spark was playing, and earlier in the day Tony Baxter (the genius behind the original Journey Into Imagination, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and so many others) had announced his retirement from Imagineering. Combined with I'm-Leaving-Disney-Depression, it was just too much to take and I had to let it out!

Our trip back to the airport, our dinner and our wait to board our plane were all incredibly uneventful. There was a gorgeous sunset as we were leaving though; and it didn't help knowing that we would be arriving to a snowy Maryland. I started getting weepy again.

67376_10100301781075253_1320323550_n.jpg

SO LONG FLORIDA. YOU WERE SO GOOD TO US. I MISS YOU DISNEY!!!

Final thoughts

This trip was amazing. It was our first weeklong trip since 2010, and my first one since I really became involved with social media. It was fantastic connecting with people who had become great friends prior to the trip, and getting to know people that have turned into great friends after. Seeing New Fantasyland filled me with so much joy, as did waking up right outside of Downtown Disney every day. It's amazing how much of Disney you know that you have experienced, but every trip enables you to discover something new. And I'm incredibly excited for our upcoming trip in May, which is our first one since visiting Disneyland. And speaking of Disneyland, I'll post a link over here when/if I do a trip report for that! At least it was only 3.5 days, so it shouldn't take me 11 months to finish! :lmao:

Haha, even though it is first thing in the morning, seeing only 15 minutes on TSM STILL looks odd.

WOW. Even though I think the Wookie planet is my fav, after 3 times I think I would lose my mind. Seriously, what are the odds? Of course they're probably pretty good since I always seem to get the stupid Pod Race.

Ahhh, the gift of Fastpasses. I think this is what I'll miss most of all when FP+ takes over completely.

OMG that is the coolest Hidden Mickey ever by BOG. AND Hidden Oswald???? WOW. Those are now on my must see list!

Bahahaha, that photo leaving MK. The two of you could not have more opposite looks on your faces. It's like one of those drama symbols with the happy/sad face.

Theresa, I loved your TR. Who cares if it took 11 months. And your right, it doesn't matter how often you've been there, there is always something new and exciting to experience. :goodvibes

I don't care that it took almost a year, I loved this TR! And in all honesty, I can't even believe that the trip was that long ago!

Great last updates! Be Our Guest just looks fantastic. And I'm glad the dole whip won!

I really hope you DO do a Disneyland TR! And LESS THAN FOUR MONTHS UNTIL THE NEXT TRIP!!!!! I'm excited.

Enjoyed reading about the end of your trip! You accomplished a lot on your last day!

Looking forward to a DL trip report from you!

Awesome job with this TR! :thumbsup2

I also "missed" my Magical Express time. They pick you up too early. I mean, I know they want you to have plenty of room for error but like... I needed my extra MK time. They really don't mind putting you on the next bus, either, so it's no big deal.

I think your Gertie birthday party is an excellent idea as well!

Hey guys! I wanted you to be the first to know that I started my Disneyland Trip Report today! I've already pre-written the first couple chapters, because my goal is to have this report finished before we head to WDW in May (or at least, to have it finished before one year from today). Hope you join me over there!

Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter