Old Key West

You'll love OKW!! I've only been to WDW twice. Both times I stayed at OKW, last trip we stayed in a grand villa. SPOILED!!!! MIL and FIL a DVC members, and brought us along. I remember the main pool being nice. We used one of the smaller ones at night because it was closer to our "home", and it was a pool, nothing great. I understand there is a neat waterslide for the kids now at the main pool. Olivia's is a great place to eat, away from the park crowds. I remember mango iced tea. And certainly, the key lime pie is not to be missed. We're going back this June. Pop back on the board and tell us how you enjoyed your stay!!!! Have a great vacation, and a magical time:cool1:

Old Key West is somewhat large. If you don't have a car you'll probably need to take the internal transportation to get to Olivia's. If you do have a car, you'll be able to park right outside of your room.

Old Key West is very nice! I did photo walk in 2 parts of OKW a couple of weeks ago on my site - it starts at Olivias (restaurant), goes around the resort and the walkway down to Downtown Disney/SS. Then back, to a couple of pool areas and showing other activities. http://www.denisesfitnessblog.com/disney/

(You can scroll down and there are parts 1 and 2 at the bottom, you just click on the links). There are no inside-villa photos, I just am doing walks at the resorts and parks, and showing other activities and healthier food options as I go along.

Old Key West is somewhat large. If you don't have a car you'll probably need to take the internal transportation to get to Olivia's. If you do have a car, you'll be able to park right outside of your room.

There is internal transportation, and walking. It only took me 20 minutes to walk from the Hospitality House all the way down near the Downtown Disney West Side (much of that on the exercise path).

We stayed back by Turtle Pond. It was pretty quiet back there. Our patio looked out over the golf course. We were quite a ways from the main building, but we had a vehicle, so didn't care. We had a two bedroom suite. We loved everything about it but the sofa bed in the livingroom. It wasn't the most comfortable bed, so we took turns between that and one of the other beds.

Scoob ~
I think you'll really like OKW. We love it there. What size room will you have ? If you have a 1 bedroom or larger, stock the frig for late night snacks because it's kind of difficult to get food at OKW after 10 pm unless you pick up something quick at the General Store which usually stays open until 11 pm or 12 midnight. We love Olivia's---especially for breakfast !
The pool is neat. There is a slide, themed after a sand castle and the slide winds around it before dropping you off in the pool. My teens really enjoy it. Have a great stay.

I hope you are getting a 1 bedroom, those are REALLY nice!!! I am glad you liked the photos.

this is exciting to hear, we are staying there for the first time in May - can't wait!

Denise ! I love your photos.......thanks for posting the link :thumbsup2

Thank you! I am working on POF/POR walk photos this weekend (already photographed this morning), though right now I am working at getting the Gran Fiesta boat ride ones up, and then some Flower and Garden Festival photos.

I enjoy doing all the walks in photos. :)

Denise, I'm also a walker and look forward to doing a lot while we are at WDW in May. The path from OKW to DD closes at dusk so I guess if we go to DD in the evening we will have to take a bus back to OKW? Is this correct?

Hi June!

It is always nice to meet other walkers!

Depending on what time you are coming back, there is the boat as well (I think that might go until 11pm?) The path does seem like it would be very dark, so I'd not ignore the sign and try it after dusk. :) It is a pretty walk though, at other times of day.

Oh, thanks everyone for all the info...
We are going down July 22 with a bunch of kids. Some will be there 1 night, some all week. We think we want to get the dining,but arn't sure if we can work it out with the revolving guests. There will never be more then the 8 that the 2 bedroom can sleep, but most of the time it will only be 5 of us, 6 at the most. And we have PAPs for 3 now, and our other 2 college kids are thinking of getting them also. So....we don't know how/if we can get the dining... I know at one time you had to buy at least a 1 day pass for each guest staying, and that is not a problem, as we go down with college kids/family several times a year and they can use them, but the rest... Just no idea how Disney will/might handle this.
Guess I can just wait and see? but I wanted to start saving $$$ NOW if we are going to do the dining...
Thanks for any info! I am so excited! I have only stayed onsite at Shades of Green... nice but not as "Disney-licious!"

We are also staying at Old Key West in July. This will be our first time staying at this resort. We will be in a 2 bedroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter