Old Key West vs. Saratoga Springs

Bubba85

Earning My Ears
Need to book a room for spring 2011 using AAA rates. Choice is between Old Key West and Saratoga Springs. Both two bedroom villas. We stayed at Saratoga Springs in spring 2009 and liked it. Wished it were closer to the theme parks but this was more than offset by value for size of room. Time to go again. Considering Old Key West just to provide a different experience. Any advice?

We've stayed at both since we're DVC members. We loved SSR (loved being able to walk to DTD as well) but did not like OKW at all. Personal preference. I know it may sound stupid, but it really bothered us that the buses had to use the parking area in front of the buildings to turn around to go back out. At SSR we were used the Congress Park bus stop (even though we were in the Paddock section) so there was only 1 bus stop before heading to the parks. We never had a problem with the bus being filled up. It just seemed like OKW was a lot of circles, etc. However, the rooms were definitely bigger at OKW. We'd stay there again, but it would be our last choice. However we know lots of people who love OKW, so it really all depends.

I'm pretty sure OKW is going through a refurb. So by 2011 the rooms should be totally renovated.

Have you checked out BLT? I realize it would be a little more $$, but its an awesome resort and not to mention walking distance to MK. Just a thought.

I prefer OKW with kids: the island vibe is more laid back, and the balconies are *fabulous*. With teens or adults, the more sophisticated SSR (with easy access to DTD) might have an edge.

Neither are right in the vicinity of any parks, and the buses at each are comparable.

Finally---if you're going to be staying in a DVC 2BR every other year for the foreseeable future, you might be a very good candidate for buying in (resale!). A 150-160 pt contract would get you a 2BR during peak spring season every other year.

OKW is our resort of choice. First time there was in was in 2001. My dd was 6 at the time. She is 15 now and DS are 21 and 23. It is still the first choice of all 3 of my kids. We all love it there. Love the laid back atmosphere and it is so pretty there.

SSR is home resort and we'll be staying there for the first time next year :cloud9: You cannot go wrong with OKW. :thumbsup2 Great mellow theme, Olivia's, insanely delicious pool drinks, fun pool, water craft.............

We own at Boardwalk but love OKW.
It is very pretty, relaxing, but at the same time has all the fun of Disney packed in.

They each have their pros and cons!

OKW: Has the larger rooms, the overall theme of the resort is more definitive (SSR's theme is very understated to the point most people don't even know it has one lol), the balconies are larger (the balconies in one and two bedroom units are huge and have ceiling fans, a round table that seats four and enough space you actually feel like hanging out there), and the whole place feels like an island retreat. Olvia's is wonderful. The main pool is very nice, the quiet pools are also very nice. It has one of my all time favorite pool bars, if you go, get a Turtle Crawl!:cloud9: NOw that the resort is getting a refurb, I am so excited to stay there again in the future because the new rooms look gorgeous. Although I love the old style rooms too!

On the con side for OKW (in my opinion only of course) its has nothing in the way of counter service beyond a lunch or two, the bus route is funky and seems to take a lot longer than SSR's route, some of the units are right on major roadways and are noisy and its not as walkable to DTD and in fact the path to DTD closes at dark. Even in the day, I probably would not let my teens walk alone to DTD, at SSR I would without hesitation.

SSR is a beautiful resort, very well maintained, lovely grounds with ponds, fountains and very nice walking paths. Its very walkable to DTD, it has the Turf Club which is outstanding and has Artist Palette which unlike Goods to Go at Olivia's has a much bigger selection of food and indoor and outdoor seating vs, the two or three outdoor picnic tables Goods has. The units are smaller but very nicely appointed and still spacious. I think SSR has the better main pool by far (as do my kids) and I like the second feature pool over in the Grandstand area.

To me you cannot make a bad choice. They are in the exact same location so distance to the parks will be the same. They are both large resorts with lovely grounds and both of them have rooms that may involve some walking. They both have a very laid back feel which is our preference over being right next to a park. We like to be able to get away from the hoopla!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter