Old Key West opinions, good or bad

Badger Brent

DIS Veteran
We decided to do a studio at Old Key West on our next trip. We plan on doing Garden Grocer for snacks, water, and breakfast items. What did you like about the resort and room? And the cons of this resort? It looks rather spread out, and we are going to embrace this part and not get negative about it. Also, is there more than one hot tub than the one at the main pool? Thanks all for any help!!:woohoo:

We loved that the rooms are the largest in any of the DVC resorts. The laid back feeling and the Jimmy Buffett music:goodvibes My DH liked that it wasn't in your face Disney after being immersed all day. Kids loved the pool. Alot of people complain about it being spread out but it has never been an issue for us.:thumbsup2

with every pool at OKW there is a hot tub. there is also a laundry mat - it is free - you just need to bring detergent and what ever else you use.

it is spread out - so better for early morning walking or jogging - late night strolls.

now since fell in love with BLT - have not stayed at OKW - but from 1993 to 2008 owned at it and definitely stayed most of the time. It is a very nice and friendly resort.

it is more of a community than a hotel. It has 2 queen beds and a balcony - happen to love the balconies there.

the buses come pretty often.

That's great to hear about this seldom mentioned (compared to others) resort. I see some late night strolls and maybe a dip in the nearest hot tub. We will be going 1/1/14-1/9/14 and the pool may be a little chilly. Another question, we will be checking in around 7pm that night. Is there any need to do on-line check in? Due to my daughter's ongoing knee and leg injury, we requested a building on ground floor and close to hosiptality house. Hoping the late check-in will help chances of getting requests.

We've stayed at OKW twice, most recently in February. I love that there are 2 queen sized beds in the studios instead of a bed and a sleeper sofa. Also, the rooms are larger than other Disney properties we've stayed in (BCV, BWV). We like the rooms closest to the hospitality house, so when we stay there again we'll be sure to book that category. We stayed in Old Turtle Pond the other time we were there and felt really far away from the main hub.

Love it! One of my family's favorites.

Other than the All-Stars and POFQ, EVERY Disney resort is spread out. This one is no more or less than most every other resort, so don't let that get to you.

We love South Pointe, bldgs. 53-56. Right near a pool and hot tub, first bus stop in the morning so always get a seat, and depending on your room you could be overlooking the waterway to DTD.

Something rarely mentioned about OKW is that the jacuzzi in the 1BR and above fits two people! Awesome for a romantic getaway ;)

It's easy to get to Hospitality House on the bus, just takes 10-15 minutes. The main pool and community hall are great too. We play games like family bingo and trivia, do crafts, my DD won at kids bingo and a Wii bowling tournament. She also did karaoke at the pool, something I never thought she'd ever do. The CMs there were awesome. Plus the Gurgling Suitcase is the best pool bar at Disney. Small and cozy, great bartenders and delicious drinks.

We've stayed there a few times for 10-14 day stays and absolutely loved every minute.

We have stayed there 3 times and our last time was a studio. Although is is spread out, the lush landscaping and beautiful grounds are spectacular. We love the Turtle Pond area and the main pool is awesome. Love Gurgling Suitcase(the bar) - small and intimate. We met great people there and the bartenders are fantastic. I love the escape from the parks. When we are at the resort, it puts us in RnR mode!:)

We stayed in a 1 bedroom last year and it was wonderful. Very quiet, beautiful landscapes. The room was huge! Just an FYI, the doors to the rooms are on the outside and most buildings have stairs for the upper floor and no elevator.

The rooms and grounds are really nice. However, it is laid out on basically a hub and spoke system. This makes the buses very inefficient. They have to go out to the end of the spoke, then come back to the middle before going back out to the next one. The result is that you spend a lot of time on the bus inside the resort. That got very frustrating to us very quickly. To us, that frustration overrode the things we liked about the resort, since we didn't find those benefits to be all that much greater than at, say, Saratoga Springs. In the future, we will likely not be back to OKW.

We stayed at OKW 1 bedroom this past thanksgiving for the first time and absolutely loved it. We were in building 45 right on the river to DTD. It was great sitting on our porch watching the boats go by. Busses were awesome and we rarely ever waited more than 5 mins or so. I also have to say the buses lines back from the parks were also really great

A really quiet laid back resort. We are splitting between AKL and OKW this thanksgiving

I have never stayed at OKW, but I hear nothing but great things about this resort. We are going in November and a group of friends of ours are also traveling the same time and are DVC members. They just booked their stay at OKW for the first time. They are so excited and really looking forward to it. We will be spending a lot of time with them through out the week so I am really looking forward to visiting their 2 bdrm villa and taking pics around the resort.

Do you think the buses are less crowded than some of the other resorts? We are staying there the beginning of June.

Do you think the buses are less crowded than some of the other resorts? We are staying there the beginning of June.

all WDW buses are crowded when the park closes - especially in summer.

since the morning crowd goes at different time - it is not too bad - saw the most other guests at 9:30 am instead of the 8:30am at the other places.

now if you leave before or during the fireworks - it won't be so bad. but after the fireworks - expect waits and crowds at all WDW resorts (which include DVC resorts)

one reason why I stay at BLT, BWV or BCV - when I can - you can walk back to your room/villa. walking sure beats the buses.:cool1:

Another question, we will be checking in around 7pm that night. Is there any need to do on-line check in? Due to my daughter's ongoing knee and leg injury, we requested a building on ground floor and close to hosiptality house. Hoping the late check-in will help chances of getting requests.

late check in hurts your chances - call whoever you made the reservation with and say you have a medical reason - just made sure that your daughter's injuries and CAN NOT DO STEPS - are on your request.

you probably won't get a HH - those are my reservation only not request.

okw that 2 types of reservation one at HH - the other is non-HH.

really like the non-HH better.

OKW is nice, it's probably the most comfortable place for us. The room is nice because of the size and 2 queen beds. I usually try to book near the HH area.

We've only used the main pool and hot tub. The pool is heated, we had gone swimming in December, which was nice. The main hot tub is pretty large.

For us OKW is the BEST. Larger rooms & Olivia's make OKW our first choice. :banana: Of course, during the Wine & Food Festival, BCV becomes our 1st choice. ::yes::

I absolutely love OKW. We stayed here for our honeymoon in a one bedroom last year. I've stayed at the Poly, WL, POR, AKV Kidani, CSR, and AS Music and I would have to say OKW is a very close second (only to the Poly because we stayed here a lot when I was a kid and I have such nostalgic memories).

Pro's:
  • I know you're staying in a studio, but I've heard they're some of the largest in any of the DVC resorts. Our one bedroom was HUGE and we loved it.
  • Walking around the resort is so peaceful, quiet, and romantic.
  • THE BUS SYSTEM!! I am not a fan of taking the bus at WDW. After many issues at POR and other resorts, I dreaded taking WDW busses. Time after time at OKW we would leave a park at closing and all the other resorts would have huge lines waiting. OKW never did. We would always just hop right on a bus or only have a few minute wait. We never had to stand or be crammed into a bus with a million other people. It was so refreshing. And I like all the stops at OKW. You're never very far away from a bus stop.
  • I love that all the rooms balconies/patios open up to the back so you only see parking areas and traffic when you come out of your room.
  • I love that each building has a little parking lot with a few spaces. Easy to get stuff out of your car (if you drove or rent one) and when you come out of your room you don't have to see these huge parking lots like at other resorts.
  • The boat ride to DTD is nice (I think the one at POR/POFQ is better).

Con's:
  • The bathrooms are terribly outdated
  • We took DME back to the airport and bell services is always so busy that we couldn't get anyone to help us with all of our bags and our room was quite a haul from the main building. It was a little bit of a pain lugging all of our stuff up front, but not too bad (it helped that it was a nice day, we would have been drowned rats had it been raining)

I can't wait to stay here again! We had already booked BLT for our trip this September or else I would've booked OKW again. I plan on renting a Grand Villa in 2015 for our trip after this one!:lovestruc

We have been to OKW many times to walk around and enjoy the resort. We have eaten there every trip.

We will be staying there this coming November.

Just an FYI for anybody who doesn't know, if you want a room close to Hospitality House you have to book that category. That is like their preferred rooms, close to the lobby and restaurant. It is HH booking category. If your room is not book in a HH category you will not be in the vicinity of HH.

So make sure when you are renting points you tell the broker or owner to book your room in HH category.

As far as Olivia's they have a good menu for all 3 meals and as far as prices go they are very low for disney.

My future (I hope) mother in law booked our trip. It is my complete 1st trip, and practically my boyfriends first. They went on a make a wish trip for his sister when he was 2 or 3 and all he remembers is getting lost and found by his old et toy. We are going back for his sister since miraculously we still have her, and now she has been diagnosed with cancer as well as her terminal illness. We booked OKW and being as she's in a wheelchair I assume we'll be in one of the buildings with elevators, but is there any special things we need to know to help her and us get around easier?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter