OKW trip report (11/1-5/04) (long post)

sk8belle

DIS Veteran
This last trip was SO much more successful than the last one I had. I arrived in the afternoon of 11/1 and checked in. Of course, the room wasn't ready, so, after storing my luggage, I grabbed lunch at Olivia's. When I went to pay, I was told the DVC discount there was discontinued from 10/31/04 until 1/1/05. Of all the places I ate that week, this is the only restaurant I found this to be true of. I was never able to get a clear understanding of why this was the case. So head's up on that for anyone who is on their way to OKW.

After lunch, I cruised the World Showcase, checking out options before deciding on what I wanted to sample. I also stopped by Guerlain to make an appointment for the free make-over DVC members get.

By 5 PM, I headed back to the resort. The room was ready now, so I dropped my luggage off. I was in 2126. This is a studio in the Miller's Road part of the resort. It faced the highway (Bonnet Creek, I think), but I wasn't bothered by the noise. The room was in great shape. The only comment I have on it is minor; it's not even a complaint, really. The shower curtain hooks were plastic and did not slide very well. I had to reach up and move them instead of just being able to pull the curtain closed. As someone who is 5'9", that's not a problem. Someone shorter than me might not reach so easily. So management may want to think about replacing those hooks with ones that slide more easily.

The week was, for the most part, thorougly enjoyable. The food and wine at EPCOT were wonderful. The only complaint I had with the wine tasting I attended was that CA wines were served at Le Cellier. I signed up for that restaurant's wine pairing because I wanted to taste Canadian wines. CA wines are pretty easy to get; I wanted something different. When I mentioned this to the manager, she explained the restaurant had no control over what winery was hosted at the pairing. Other than that, the pairing was outstanding! Brian, the chef at Le Cellier, did a magnificent job of serving us foods that really brought out the flavors in the wine and vice versa.

The make-over at Guerlain is something I recommend to everyone. Mariann ended up spending about an hour with me, even though the time slots are only 30 mins. I lucked out that there was no one signed up immediately after me. The look she gave me was very natural, not too heavy as some places tend to do. There was NO pressure at all to buy anything, even though I did. She also gave me several samples of creme as well.

I also got a 50-min. Swedish massage at SSR. With the DVC discount, it came to $88. The Spa there is lovely. If you are looking to indulge yourself, that is the place to go.

I posted two pictures of the OKW pool slide in a seperate post if you are interested. If you have any questions, please let me know.

sk8belle

You took my kind of trip!!!

Qs about the spa - where you there before when it was at the Disney Institute? Is it as good?

Do they still have a whirlpool, sauna etc.? Is the ambience good?

The makeover - did you buy the makeup? have you been able to achieve that look again?

thanks!
sue

Sounds like you had a lot of fun and girl fun too:p

Strange about the zero discount at Olivia's. Will be curious if others had the same experience?

Thanks for the fun to read trip report!
Lisa:sunny:

SueOKW:

This was my first solo trip anywhere and I will absolutely do it again. As for your questions:

Qs about the spa - where you there before when it was at the Disney Institute? Is it as good?

No, I had not been there when SSR was the DI. The lady at the front desk asked me the same question. So, unfortunately, I have no point of reference if it was better than before.

Do they still have a whirlpool, sauna etc.? Is the ambience good?

Yep, they still have the whirlpool/jacuzzi, sauna and steam rooms. I didn't know this would be here, otherwise I would have brought my bathing suit. Instead, I stuck my sore, tired feet and ankles in. This pamper-myself day was scheduled at the end of my trip and they needed it! :D The ambience was great. Very soothing. You get a locker which has a nice robe and flip flops inside. Even Minnie has a locker which I thought was very cute. You didn't have to go to the waiting room until 5 mins. before your appt. The waiting room was lit very low and had refreshments like water, tea, coffee and mints. My one objection to the place is that the locker room is down two flights of stairs. Who wants to climb stairs after you've had a massage?! :)

The makeover - did you buy the makeup? have you been able to achieve that look again?

I bought lip liner, lip gloss, concealer and mascara. Mariann talked me through how to apply everything as she went. The lip gloss and concealer, which are the only things I've tried since, both look exactly like how she put them on. Since I didn't buy everything, I don't know if I'd be able to completely recreate the look.

Hope that helps!

I have not been able to find info on the members' website about the free makeover at Guerlain? How did you know about this? Thanks

I have not been able to find info on the members' website about the free makeover at Guerlain? How did you know about this? Thanks

It was in one of the newsletters members got. I think it might have been in August's. When you go to Disney, you'll get a Portable Perks in your Welcome Packet. There's info on there.

It was at Guerlain in the French pavilion at EPCOT. You can make reservations ahead of time. I would pass on the number, but I threw out the paper that had the phone number on it. The two times I made an appt. (I had to wait over 30 mins. one time for an EPCOT bus to pick me up from OKW, missed my appt. time and had to reschedule), I had no problem making them onsite only a day ahead of time.

Thanks so much for the info! I hope they are still doing this in three weeks when I am there. Also, is it only for the member, or can you have one more person? I will have my SIL with me who is not a member.

Wow, sounds like an awesome trip!!!

Here's the number to schedule the Guerlain makeover: (407)560-6383.

Candace:

I'm not sure if guests are entitled to that particular perk or if it's only members. I think guests are because when I missed my first appt., I couldn't reschedule for the same day since there was a group of 4 who had signed up after me. It looked like a group of ladies who were staying together, so I have a feeling not all of them were members. I would call to check.

sk8belle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter