OKW - Resort Report 2/24-2/28

eporter66

DIS Veteran & DVC Owner at SSR
We just returned from our first stay at Old Key West. We had a 1 Bedroom in building 21 - Room 2125. Right off the bat, I have to say that this was the quietest room we have had in all our stays at WDW. Whether it was by luck that we had quiet neighbors, I dont know - but it was great.

We arrived on Sunday Feb 24th @ 12:00. Our room was ready, but I requested a top floor golf view. The cast member at the check-in desk was happy to accomodate us, but told us we could not check in right away if we wanted that request. This was fine, we had been up since 5:30, so we figured we would walk across the breezeway and grab lunch at Olivia's.

The staff and service were very nice. I had a Cuban Pork Sandwich which was tasty. My wife got the burger and our daughter had chicken strips. It was not the least bit crowded even though it was right at lunch time.

We were able to check into our room after lunch, and quickly got our swimgear on and headed back to the pool. It was around 80, but the main pool was not crowded at all. We spent a few hours at the pool and decided we would head over to DTD. We walked through the resort and out to the Saratoga Springs Nature Trail which takes you to DTD West Side. It was a pretty long walk, but considering we have been stuck in teens and 20 degree weather here in upstate NY - we loved being outside. And, we walk all day through the parks - so what is a little walk?? We walked around DTD to see everything, but ended up not being hungry after the lunch at Olivia's. We took the boat back to OKW and picked up a frozen pizza for the room later.

The room was great, with a nice view of the 6th hole, and we watched some golfers while relaxing on the spacious balcony.

I jogged through the complex early Monday morning just to get a feel for the layout. It is spread out like SSR, so we are used to that type of area.

We also had dinner at Olivia's another night - I had Prime Rib and Olivia's Potatoes which I loved. I know I will be craving those again soon. My wife had the Penne with chicken. We had two very good meals at Olivia's and I would eat there again!! I wanted to try the Ancho Burbon Chicken wings but never made it back....

The main pool and sandcastle slide were also nice.

Overall - we really enjoyed our stay, and again - it was so quiet and relaxing. Of the three DVC resorts we have stayed at (SSR,BWV,OKW), I would have to say that OKW was our least favorite. We just did not experience a "wow" factor with the resort. I know that by design, the OKW theme is a laid back easy going feel. But to us it just lacked a certain elegance or a spectacular feel that we have experienced with the other resorts. We find SSR very laid back as well - but there is just something different about it that we like better.

That being said - we also loved OKW and would be more than happy to stay. It is a great value for the points, and still ranks as one of the nicest places we have stayed on any vacation.

Glad you had a good time. The beauty of DVC is that there is something for everyone.

sounds like a wonderful stay. glad you enjoyed it. we stayed at OKW once and would go back, if we could just get over that "I can't wait to get back to the BWV" thing.....

Glad you had a good time and yes, you were lucky to have quiet neighbors!

we were in 2123 2nd floor- and it was the most noise we have every encountered on a trip EVER. we have traveled to WDW a lot over the years and I have never complained about noise or let noise get to me. I know people are having a great time in WDW and kids are excited.. But this trip was crazy!
Loud children above us, jumping and running during the wee hours of the morning and staying up, way past my bedtime.
the people below us were loud as well, talking LOUD, laughing LOUD etc..
Did not sleep very well at all..

Anyway, once again, glad you had a great time..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter