OKW lovers thread !!!

Discussion in 'DVC Resorts' started by bababear_50, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Well, we did request Trumbo Canal....

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. dianeschlicht

dianeschlicht <font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon

Be prepared to clean the floors when you arrive!:rotfl2:

4. NedsTJ

NedsTJ Only 5.67E+06 feet from MK!

I posted earlier, but thought I'd do a follow-up. We were there last week, staying in a one bedroom. The first night we were in 3834....third floor, about as far from a bus stop as I think you can get! We moved the next day to 3011. Much nicer, much easier to get in and out of. I blame myself....during check in the CM said, "I see you're on a third floor, and I guess with the stroller you'll want to change to a first floor room?" Stupidly I answered, "naw, that'll be fine."....not considering 1) my 4months pregnant wife and 2) colapsing and hauling the stroller everytime we went somewhere! Oy...live and learn.

While we like OKW - it's charm, the relaxing atmostphere, etc...we are admittedly spoiled by recent stays at Boardwalk, Beach Club, and Bay Lake Tower - all of which offer a lot more to do, to eat, etc within easy walking distance. If we rented a car I think it'd be different (or our own personal golf cart to zoom around in, lol!).

Oh, and put us in the camp of not digging the new refurbs. While the hardwood-type floor is nice, it just didn't give it that "homey/cozy" feeling to me, anyway.

5. 91oldkeywest

91oldkeywest Earning My Ears

Thank goodness they don't allow golfcarts at OKW.Its bad enough with them when we visit FW with all the underage or drunk drivers zipping all over the place.

6. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Just back from a trip that included two nights at OKW and two nights at BWV. Loved the huge spaces at OKW. We were in building 15 and it was very convenient. Fortunately it was just Val & I so not having the extra door into the bath through the laundry room wasn't a big issue.

At BWV we had a 5th floor room that was on the far end of the resort nearest the Swan. I can't for the life of me understand what Robert A. M. Stern was thinking when he designed that place with only one elevator bank. Talk about long walks....

7. Nicoal13

Nicoal13 not so patiently waiting for next vacation

Do all the OKW buildings have elevators? My Dad is traveling with us and he has RA which affects his feet and knees. He has been doing well, but if we can avoid unnecessary stairs that would be great.

8. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

No. Only three buildings have elevators. But all buildings do have ground floor units. You should call and have a request noted on your reservation for a ground floor (or elevator building) unit for medical reasons.

9. Nicoal13

Nicoal13 not so patiently waiting for next vacation

Thank you!

10. TraceyL

TraceyL <font color=red>Always planning........<br><font c

Just checked out of OKW after 4 nights in a studio in building 18 - 2nd floor.

Nice golf view through the trees across to the HH.

Close to Millers Rd bus stop but easily walkable to HH.

Studio was spacious if a little dark

Breakfast at Olivia's was really nice

Transportation was, on the whole, pretty good. Just one hiccough getting back from the Poly one night - took ages. Did enjoy the boat ride to DTD

Happily come back again :thumbsup2

11. rmcildw2m

rmcildw2m DIS Veteran

Going back next april for 5 nights in a studio can't to get there.

12. okw2012

okw2012 Mouseketeer

Leaving tomorrow for 7 nights at OKW! Everybody at home is quite excited!

13. Candy Orlando

Candy Orlando DIS Veteran

Just got back from a week at OKW. The weather was great. OKW palm trees are always beautiful. This trip at this time of year makes our Christmas special. Merry Christmas!

14. heynowirv

heynowirv DIS Veteran

We're going back in july . Either a 1 or 2 bedroom depending how many of our adult"kids" are available. Now if only it was spring already i wouldn't be so impatient.

absolutely love OKW. It's a paradise within a paradise.
    :beach:

15. a742246

a742246 And, and, and I caught a fish this big!

I am jealous, have a great holiday.

16. chepic

chepic I tear up whenever I hear "Welcome Home." Some p

Merry Christmas all my OKW dis-family!!!!!

cheryl

17. myDISboards

myDISboards Mouseketeer

checked in around 1pm'ish this week for 1-bedroom near HH. (did not online check in as usual for other DVC resorts)

Building 14XX (3rd floor) available at 2:25pm (paged/called) - AC/heat unit problems when first walked in.

requested to change room 1-bedroom near HH (1st floor) - only handicapped accessible available at that time - we requested to see the room first - and liked it.

It took about close to 4 hours for room change (DVC points, holding points, etc) and they gave us $75 "inconvenience" credit to our room.

*** Edit ***

the differences between 1-bedroom vs. 1-bedroom "handicapped accessible":

1. walk-in shower tub vs. rolled-in shower
    2. "seating area" in jacuzzi tub

we can hear "loud" flushing toilets from other rooms in first and third floors.

18. debdisneycruiser

debdisneycruiser Celebrating at Disney

Owners at Bay Lake and Broadwalk, stayed at OKW for the first time in a 2BR 12/17 - 12/24. Loved the resort, stayed in building 64' however we were on first floor. Apparently there was a family above us with small children. They either had riding toy or pulled furniture across the laminate floor quite often. We highly recommend taking a top floor if possible. Otherwise we loved our stay at OKW.

19. mlittig

mlittig DIS Veteran

When I am in a one bedroom, I always request the top floor because we learned from experience how noisy those laminate floors can be :rolleyes1

20. mlittig

mlittig DIS Veteran

When I stay in a studio, I don't feel the need to ask for the top floor because there are no laminates in the studios :yay:

21. dianeschlicht

dianeschlicht <font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon

:rotfl:True! But there also are no Jacuzzi's, laundry, kitchen or big covered porch in the studios. Those are the things I love most about OKW, so a studio is never in our plans there unless it's for 1 night on either end of a stay to save points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.