OKW lovers thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a great pool day at the Turtle Pond pool today. I took a few pics which I will post for the newbie's on the thread. This was our first time at the pool and I was so impressed! Crystal clear water, great pool furniture, immaculate grounds. Many of the people at the pool were foreign (either English or Australian) and were sooo polite! Thier kids were well disaplined and monitored! Just a great pool day. Okay, a few pictures.

IMG_20121023_133157.jpg

IMG_20121023_133205.jpg

Great pics you can post them for the non newbies too :) Only a few more days and I can say I am going to Disney this month!

Can't wait til Friday.....it will be the 7month window and I'm going to switch from SSR to OKW. This will be our first stay and I am soooo looking forward to it after reading thru this thread the past couple of days :thumbsup2

We will need a 2BR for May 26th to 31st. It's me, DH, 2 DD's, and my mom. She would rather not do stairs so I'm looking at trying for Bldg 62, 1st floor.

Hope I get some pixie dust!!!
We had the 2br on the 1st floor in building 62 during our trip May, 2010 (See the TR link below for pics.) It was before the refurb but we really enjoyed the location. It's such a short walk to the HH, the main pool and the bus stop. We really enjoyed that location. I hope you are able to get it.

Just stumbled across this thread. Staying at OKW in a studio for the first time in 8 weeks. Thanks for all the pics/info :thumbsup2

Booked for SSR (home) for late-July 2013 vacation. I'm looking forward to moving over to OKW in Dec. Key West is just our style and with 3 kids, I'm excited about the extra roomy 2 bdrm

I'm trying to gather information about the bus system at OKW. Can anyone let me know...
  1. Is there an internal bus that just loops the resort? If so, what is the order of the stops?
  2. Do the park buses stop at each stop in the resort, or only at the Hospitality House?
  3. Does OKW share buses with any other resort?
  4. What are the destinations of each bus (e.g. MK, Epcot, DHS, DTD/Typhoon Lagoon, AK/Blizzard Beach)? And what are the order of stops (if there are stops)?
  5. Any idea of approximate travel times to each destination?
Then concerning the boat launch...
  1. Does the boat go directly to DTD?
  2. Does it stop at any other resort?
  3. Does it have multiple DTD stops?
  4. What is the order of the stops?
  5. Any idea of approximate travel times to each stop?

I'm trying to gather information about the bus system at OKW. Can anyone let me know...
  1. Is there an internal bus that just loops the resort? If so, what is the order of the stops? No internal loop.
  2. Do the park buses stop at each stop in the resort, or only at the Hospitality House? Yes all stops.
  3. Does OKW share buses with any other resort? No.
  4. What are the destinations of each bus (e.g. MK, Epcot, DHS, DTD/Typhoon Lagoon, AK/Blizzard Beach)? And what are the order of stops (if there are stops)? No order, they just come. Yes to all.
  5. Any idea of approximate travel times to each destination? My guess 15 min.
Then concerning the boat launch...
  1. Does the boat go directly to DTD? Yes to Pleasure Island side.
  2. Does it stop at any other resort? No.
  3. Does it have multiple DTD stops? No.
  4. What is the order of the stops? Only one stop.
  5. Any idea of approximate travel times to each stop? 15 min.

Rain today due to hurricane Sandy. We are leaving a day early to beat the storm and prepare at home, as we live in the target zone mid-atlantic area. I'll post a few last pics of our balcony this morning and canal view. It was a great view especially at night with the lights reflecting off of the water.

1. Is there an internal bus that just loops the resort? If so, what is the order of the stops?
  2. Do the park buses stop at each stop in the resort, or only at the Hospitality House?
  3. Does OKW share buses with any other resort?
  4. What are the destinations of each bus (e.g. MK, Epcot, DHS, DTD/Typhoon Lagoon, AK/Blizzard Beach)? And what are the order of stops (if there are stops)?
  5. Any idea of approximate travel times to each destination?

1. The internal bus starts and stops at the Hospitality House (and makes the bus stop loop), but it also goes to DTD/Typhoon Lagoon before it returns to the resort. So it isn't just internal t the resort.
    Theme park buses stop first at Peninsular Road, then South Point, then Turtle Pond, then Millers Road, then Hospitality House (except for Internal/DTD/TL bus which is noted above).

Epcot is the closest, MK is about 12 minutes once you leave the resort, DHS a bit longer, AK the longest ride (maybe 20 minutes, but it also stops at Blizzard Beach).

The boat stops at Pleasure Island as noted above, and that is near the balloon launch area. You can catch the boat that goes from stop to stop around DTD at this boat dock.

Just enjoyed our first DVC stay and spent the first two nights at OKW in a one-bedroom. Now I get it- we LOVED OKW!!!

We ate dinner at Olivia's twice- once for breakfast and once for dinner- and both were delicious.

We spent about 3 hours at the pool one day and participated in some of the games- lost Disney lyrics and lines but one both the ice cream drop and the treasure hunt. We won a whole treasure chest full of junk (kids loved it, we trashed most of it) and some arcade tokens and the kids thought we'd hit the jackpot! DS11 loved the sandy area and DD8 loved the pool, so it was nice having both areas available.

LOTS of British guests at OKW (and maybe some Australian?).

Loved the room- tons of space for all of us. Only issue was that the people before us left multiple beer cans on the patio as well as one beer can full of cigarette butts. Guess the cleaning crew missed those.

One disappointment- why don't they have OKW pins? CM said they have been out of them for months. Also didn't find SSR pins anywhere. Found pins at DTD for every other resort. What's up with that?!

We stayed our next 4 nights at THV and while we loved them also, I definitely feel more of a draw to go back to OKW. We were in the Turtle Pond area (building 35) and thought it was convenient to the HH since we don't mind walking. We will be back!!

Thanks SAINTSTICKETS! I enjoyed looking at your pics.

I called this morning and moved our SSR ressie to OKW :cool1:
I requested 1st floor and Bldg 62.
Now I have to wait for Nov 27th to get here so I can start booking our dining. ;)

Thanks SAINTSTICKETS! I enjoyed looking at your pics.

I called this morning and moved our SSR ressie to OKW :cool1:
I requested 1st floor and Bldg 62.
Now I have to wait for Nov 27th to get here so I can start booking our dining. ;)

You are more than welcome. Glad to help a bit. You probably will not need an ADR for this but don't miss dining at OKW's Olivia's. It is one of the best kept secrets at WDW and the CMs are great!

You are more than welcome. Glad to help a bit. You probably will not need an ADR for this but don't miss dining at OKW's Olivia's. It is one of the best kept secrets at WDW and the CMs are great!

:thumbsup2 And the conch fritters!!!!!!! Yummy!!!!!!!!

che

Okay, I have finally got my entire reservation made for a 2bd villa at OKW. December 27 - January 5 - here we come. After much thought and conversation - I am going to request Building 56 or 53. When and how do I do this?

Thanks for your help!

Requests should be made with member services. Call them and have your preferences noted on your reservations

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm not sure about not needing an ADR, I have tried to book Olivia's for either breakfast or dinner during my stay 12/7-12/12....nothing is available. Now I am the only one going to WDW so that my be the issue. I like to have a sit down breakfast my last morning, so I was kind of disappointed.

helenk said:
I'm not sure about not needing an ADR, I have tried to book Olivia's for either breakfast or dinner during my stay 12/7-12/12....nothing is available. Now I am the only one going to WDW so that my be the issue. I like to have a sit down breakfast my last morning, so I was kind of disappointed.

Did you do your ADR for 1 or 2? Sometimes ADRs don't book for one. I just checked 12/12 and there is dining available for 2 across 730-10. You can book for two and always call dining and move it two one....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter