OKW - live report

Last night around 9pm we heard something being stuffed around our door jam. It was one of those pizza companies soliciting business so I called "Front Desk" to ask them to contact security. The comment made was "Oh, not again!"

The thing I fail to understand is why the guard gate allows these companies to enter the resort in the first place. I suppose they can always claim to be making a delivery, but surely security can do a better job checking to see what they are delivering! :rolleyes:

This morning was our 4th day and mousekeeping was knocking on our door at 9am. They tried to enter, but the door security bar was engaged and they left - to come back an hour later (with the same result). We left the villa about 11:30 to pick up our Garden Grocer order and then went on to Epcot afterwards. (We had forgotten to place the GG order until after we arrived and today was the earliest delivery time they had available.)

At Epcot we took a walk around the park, stopping to enjoy another Voice of Liberty performance at the American Pavilion before heading to our lunch at Coral Reef. Our 41st Anniversary was a few days ago and we were both wearing our Disney Anniversary buttons. Our server offered us a Chocolate Wave as a complimentary dessert - which was delicious.

Crowds this weekend have been pretty busy. We intentionally stayed away from the MK so far since they were taping the Christmas Day Parade and Justin Bieber was around (whoever he is :teeth: ) - so we at least missed those crowds. Hopefully the crowds will be more manageable the rest of the week.

When we got back to our villa Mousekeeping had done our full clean but neglected to leave any Tide or soap replacements. No big deal, but some of the cost cutting is more noticeable compared to years-gone-by.

Temp was around 76 today with similar expected tomorrow.

The thing I fail to understand is why the guard gate allows these companies to enter the resort in the first place. I suppose they can always claim to be making a delivery, but surely security can do a better job checking to see what they are delivering! :rolleyes:

I am just back from a 9 day stay at OKW and had the pizza leaflets twice. I just assumed someone had come in on the bus with them; far less obvious and easy to do.

Had a wonderful time with great weather but those roman blinds/shades don't get any easier or less annoying :rolleyes1

Thanks for posting, I love a live TR.

Doc, I'm disappointed to hear that OKW is also having the issues with knocking housekeepers, pizza flyers, and missing replacement items. We've always found those issues at the other DVC resorts, but have never encountered them at OKW yet.

Hi Doc! We are here as well for our first stay at OKW. Loving the size of this room. We are in a 2 bedroom and it is huge. We were not as lucky with our location. We are in the hospitality area and are in the first villa with all the buses coming by. Not a good location at all but we arrived on Wednesday and I just figured that was the reason. I am not sure if we will make it to the merry mixer or not. That will be our last night and we have tea at GF at 2PM. I would like to come by if we have the time. I am loving this weather and already dreading going home. We saw Geena Davis with her family at dinner this evening in Hollywood Studios. That was our first celebrity siting here. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Hi Doc! We are here as well for our first stay at OKW. Loving the size of this room. We are in a 2 bedroom and it is huge. We were not as lucky with our location. We are in the hospitality area and are in the first villa with all the buses coming by. Not a good location at all but we arrived on Wednesday and I just figured that was the reason. I am not sure if we will make it to the merry mixer or not. That will be our last night and we have tea at GF at 2PM. I would like to come by if we have the time. I am loving this weather and already dreading going home. We saw Geena Davis with her family at dinner this evening in Hollywood Studios. That was our first celebrity siting here. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

The mixer doesn't end until 5pm - so even if you can't get there until after 4 you can still enjoy the event (and get the free DVC ornament).

Enjoy the rest of your stay! We've stayed in bldg 14 many times and have always enjoyed the gold course view. Be sure to check the pond for otters - we've seen them in that pond a couple of times!

The mixer doesn't end until 5pm - so even if you can't get there until after 4 you can still enjoy the event (and get the free DVC ornament).

Enjoy the rest of your stay! We've stayed in bldg 14 many times and have always enjoyed the gold course view. Be sure to check the pond for otters - we've seen them in that pond a couple of times!

I agree about building 14. As long as you aren't on the side with the entrance, it really is a great building to stay in.

I agree about building 14. As long as you aren't on the side with the entrance, it really is a great building to stay in.

Unfortunately we are probably in the worst possible room at OKW. Out the front window we view not 1 but 4 air conditioner units and the side terrace is facing the entrance so all you can hear are buses all day. It 's not going to ruin my trip but not giving me a great first impression of the resort. The weather is great and I'm at Disney so all is well. :love:

Doc, I'm disappointed to hear that OKW is also having the issues with knocking housekeepers, pizza flyers, and missing replacement items. We've always found those issues at the other DVC resorts, but have never encountered them at OKW yet.

Diane - I didn't post about some of those same issues we had when we were at OKW last month (1BR-#4625) because overall, our stay was great. Housekeeping definitely wasn't what we've experienced previously. Kitchen floor had a couple sticky spots that were still there after a full cleaning; bathroom counter & toilet weren't cleaned. When we checked in, the drain in the shower was so plugged up there was no way housekeeping could have cleaned the shower & not noticed. Overall, just not up to par. We also had a pizza flyer outside our door, something we've never had in the past. On checkout day, we left at 6 am, so no issues with knocking housekeepers. :)

Other than housekeeping, everything else about OKW was a wonderful as it's been since we started staying there in '94.

We arrive late on Saturday so I'm thinking our room won't be in an ideal location. Not going to worry about that though. Our last stay in Building 14 we had a room not near the street so all was good.

Now about those pizza flyers........ when I was at SSR last month, one started working its way through the door and I swear it scared the b-jeepers out of me. At first I thought someone was trying to break in. When I realized what it was, I wasn't happy! :mad:

(and at the Dolphin they just slide them under the door. :headache:)

Last night around 9pm we heard something being stuffed around our door jam.

I always wondered about the "security" thing! I drive up, I'm asked for my ID , yeada yada, but what happens when someone just wants to come for dinner at Olivia's, they obviously are not on "The List", I'm sure they are allowed in, aren't they? Anyone can get in by boat or bus! Not much security in that!

Temp was around 76 today with similar expected tomorrow.

Doc, it was a long, hot, muggy summer! We finally have been able to open the windows and turn off the A/C's! We live again! For all of you snowbirds, this is why we gave up Newfoundland, "shovel your way into the driveway and then shovel your way back out in the morning" and moved to Florida!

Happy belated anniversary! Enjoy the rest of your stay! I miss the tropical music, I miss the otters...:guilty: , the door blinds, not so much......:headache:

Great day today!

High temp reached 81 with little wind or clouds. Beautiful blue sky was tough to take, but we managed! :)

We went to MK today, expecting the weekend crowds to be gone - but, sadly we were wrong. These have been the biggest early December crowds in over 10 years. We stayed about 3 hours and then headed back to OKW.

Since DVC has partnered with Owner's Locker, the business needs have changed (for the better) for the company. We had an opportunity to tour the potential new storage facility they are considering. It is a work in progress right now, but has great potential and is located very, very close to Disney property in a very, very convenient location. There is enough space to house both the present and future needs of Owner's Locker as well as the needs for their other division, Magic Strollers.

In a few minutes we are heading over to California Grill for dinner tonight, so we'll get a little different view of the MK! :)

Tomorrow we plan to go to the Merry Member Mixer at Epcot.

Since DVC has partnered with Owner's Locker, the business needs have changed (for the better) for the company. We had an opportunity to tour the potential new storage facility they are considering. It is a work in progress right now, but has great potential and is located very, very close to Disney property in a very, very convenient location. There is enough space to house both the present and future needs of Owner's Locker as well as the needs for their other division, Magic Strollers.

I'm still surprised you don't work for John directly! Give up your practice and move to FL!!
You know you want too! ;)

Would this change allow for the storage of cars?

Thanks Doc for the TR. I am really enjoying it.:goodvibes By the way, we had the same issue with the pizza flyers at Beach club just this November. They were slid under the door into the room 2 different nights.:confused3

I'm still surprised you don't work for John directly! Give up your practice and move to FL!!
You know you want too! ;)

Would this change allow for the storage of cars?

If you need to store a car , I know Owner's Locker can help with what you'd need! :)

I am just back from a 9 day stay at OKW and had the pizza leaflets twice. I just assumed someone had come in on the bus with them; far less obvious and easy to do.

Had a wonderful time with great weather but those roman blinds/shades don't get any easier or less annoying :rolleyes1

Thanks for posting, I love a live TR.

They ride the bus, they walk in, they tell the guards they are getting something to eat etc, etc. Short of searching everyone entering for flyers, don't see how they can be stopped.

We are just across the golf course from you guys; look for us on the patio! Really enjoying the weather and some relaxing, down time here ar our favorite DVC resort! We plan on attending the Mixer and Association Meeting; may see you there.

They ride the bus, they walk in, they tell the guards they are getting something to eat etc, etc. Short of searching everyone entering for flyers, don't see how they can be stopped.

This one had a car and was just going building-to-building in each area. Security should certainly be able to do something about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter