OKW experts, please point me in the right direction!

sheryl0521

DIS Veteran
We just made a last minute ressie at OKW for July, and I have been searching the board for the OKW posts regarding preferred room locations and resort layouts.

But I can't find them :(

Asking for your help. Please point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

What kind of room are you looking for?
Any preferences...smoking/non...that kind of thing?

Sorry - should have mentioned that.

We are traveling with 2 kids, and staying in a studio. DH is looking forward to the fitness center, so I am thinking we would want a room near the main pool & fitness center.

I am thinking a room in the #60's buildings may be good for us, but I don't want to be near a road. See why I am a bit confused?

The resort looks very large to us BCV owners.

We also plan on using the boat to DD & SSR, so where is the boat doc?

Thanks!

yes getting something close to HH might work the best for your plans - but kept in mind that nothing is that far of a walk to HH.

I like my views better than being close to HH.

most of OKW (unlike the others) won't be a view of the road - they are planned that way.

However I have not stayed in the newer building of 62, 63 or 64 - so I can't help there.

the boat docks in behind the check in desk (HH).

kept in mind that most OKW guests request being near the HH and they can't fill all the request - so don't be disappointed if your request are not meet - especially this late.

In May I stayed in room 2820. That would be building 28. The room was on the second floor.

The balcony was small, and not much of a view, but the location was very convenient.

You could walk down the stairs to the sidewalk, and only had a short walk to the bus stop. Just past the stop was the bridge and the central hub area where you could catch the boat. I thought it was a great location.

The room did face the street, but we never got any sounds from it.

:wave:

Found an older post about OKW
Take a look
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=581687
Specific list of rooms are here:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1251562#post1251562
The only other thing I can say, right off the bat, is about 2015....it's right on the pool and was pretty loud.
We last stayed in 1624...a 1BR. The location was very convenient to the HH. Just a short walk over to the pool/boat launch, etc.

Hope that this helps,
OKW is one of our favorites, even though we own at BCV/SSR.:wave2:

Not many OKW rooms have a view of the road, so don't worry about that. The "60"s buildings are fairly open and easy access to HH, but it was not our favorite when we stayed there. Since you are in a studio, you will not have much view from your room anyway, because the studios are on the corners of the buildings, and are the second bedroom of a 2 bedroom lock off. You will have a very small deck, and unless you are on the 3rd floor,so you might be hemmed in with foliage. If the fitness area is the draw, remember that all OKW locations are a quick walk to the HH area, or an even quicker bus ride. Even from the Farthest building, you can walk to HH in about 10 minutes. If you are headed for the fitness area, this shouldn't be too far to walk. With small children, you might actually prefer one of the smaller pools anyway, since the smaller playgrounds there would make it easier to keep track of them. Many families like the Turtle Pond area. Most views at OKW are golf course or water, but studios may not have a lot of view.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

As always, I appreciate the info & help on these boards!

Sheryl

OKW is our home resort and we have stayed there 11 times since we joined in 1994 and have never had a "bad" room. It looks like a huge resort, but walking is very easy and the internal bus system can get you to HH and main pool in no time if you don't want to walk or drive yourself. We liked building 13(right across from HH);also liked Miller rd area and its quiet pool (18,20) you can walk to HH and main pool; building46 and 48 are near another quiet pool and a bus stop; we have never stayed at Turtle Pond rd area but have gone to that pool which has a nice snack bar and play area. It is a very laid back atmosphere and we love it! Funny, we just changed to BCV for christmas week from OKW. Hoping for good swimming weather like last year to use SAB. OKW's main pool is getting a new slide and won't be ready in December (I don't think).
Connears

We're thinking about a trip in mid August also at OKW. The only time we stayed at OKW we were in bldg 27 (?) and were pretty close to the HH.

My question is, what are the other pools like? Does anyone have pictures of the other pools and playgrounds??

DH had BETTER get those OKW files transferred tonight, so I can let you know what I have. Also, looks like I have several more here I can add. Thanks, everyone.

Yes-DH has those files on the computer now! There are just 2 that talk about being very convenient to HH, both in Building 63-#6310 and #6320. They don't say how close they are to the road, though. Any other ones convenient to HH mention being near the road. I don't know if these 2 I mentioned are or not. Depending on when you're going to be there, be aware that the main pool will be closed for several months starting in September for the installation of the (controversial) pool slide.

just stayed 4 nights at OKW in 6410 a studio. It is on the end, small patio (but fine for my two little ones) and it had parking across the street and next to it. I parked across the street (buena vista) because more space since no other cars were parked next to me most nights/days and we need space getting in and out of cars!

The A/C made weird noises and the ethernet connections did not work, had to have both of those fixed. Other than that, the buses did pass through constantly and also those little maintenance golf carts thingies were noisy. The location was close to HH and that was nice since my older kids liked to walk over on their own. We did get ALOT techno dance music (ya know, you hear the bass-- boom, boom, boom) from a private party rocking all night Fri and Sat at Tycoon Lagoon too.

I really liked the turtle pond area and would request one there next time. We loved that pool, laundry and snack bar!

the resort is beautiful! the parks crowded and hOT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter