Ok so let me get this straight...

The only time I have ever had issue with ordering food anywhere was when I didn't order ENOUGH at dinner (this has happened on both cruises I have been on... sometimes I am just not feeling it, darn it! Leave me alone!! ;) )

Similar thing happened on our August cruise. Hurricane Isaac was working its way into the Gulf but still stirring up the Atlantic. The first 3 nights of our cruise were rough. I had my seabands on the night before the cruise & the 1st night, but took them off the second night for formal night & Remy. By the next morning I was feeling a bit under the weather so I put them back on. We had Palo brunch at noon & I couldn't eat much. Our server kept saying we could eat as much as we wanted, but I couldn't eat much. At dinner that night I ordered a salad & a coke and our server kept trying to hand the menu back to me to order more. It took a little bit to convince him that there was no way I could eat anything more. The next day the seas smoothed out and I felt good enough to take off the bands for the rest of the trip.

I'm a very picky eater and found the staff went above and beyond for me. So yep, you can have just about any food you want. Or in my case, even if it's not on the menu. They went so far as to have room service deliver something for me. The server and staff never once made me feel bad about it, never complained and did all they could to ensure I was treated with the same level of respect as anyone else on the ship.

They are food pushers for one reason.

TIPS!

They go above and beyond to make sure your happy so they will keep their jobs and get good tips.

They don't volunteer at a food shelter it's their paid job.

Order what you want when you want. They will try and make it happen.

They are not put out in any way. They go into the kitchen and yell one more of this. There is 50 cooks waiting for orders.

Just don't be cheap at the end of the cruise if you made your staff work a little harder to make your cruise they best experience you have ever had!

Just don't be cheap at the end of the cruise if you made your staff work a little harder to make your cruise they best experience you have ever had!

Couldn't agree more. We have had experiences of ordering more on our own...or being given multiple items to try because our servers have gotten to know what we liked or simply because there is something they think is really great...or even being given an opportunity to order something that is not even on the menu at all and had it show up the next night and even a second night without having to ask for it again. We asked if a certain item would be on any of the menus during the rest of the cruise. It was not, but they made it for us anyway...twice!

I have never been one to tip high simply because it is expected, but you will quickly find that the servers on these DCL ships are excellent at what they do and, more often than not, deserve not only the "recommended" gratuity (which is now automatically applied to your account unless or until you say otherwise) but also someextra, especially if you have kept them hopping a little more than usual. In a very short amount of time, your server(s) quickly seem like friends or even family, and tears are often shed on the last night....or, more likely, on the way home when you're stopping at Denny's or Burger King and realizing that you have abruptly woken up from your dream! Our girls (8 and 10) have had more than one heated discussion about who preferred which server from our recent Fantasy cruise vs. our Dream cruise last year.

Many of us gain (too much) with the "order what you want" concept. I regret my own gluttony each and every time. Did I really need to eat 3 creme brulee? NO!:faint:

Were booked on our first ever cruise Sept. 8th 2013 going on the Dream.We've never cruised before but I heard you can eat lwhatever you want ..Is this true?Like if we go to the sit down restaurants and I want two or three appetizers and two diffrent entrees...will they just bring it out to me? Or is there a limit?

Honestly, most cruise lines do not limit you. On the other hand, you may find a DCL (Disney Cruise Line) server to make suggestions ... such as ... if you do not eat much ... they may tell you "x" is a large meal ... or just the opposite. Recently, while on the Fantasy, the server automatically brought a double serving of lamb one night, as her knew the serving might be on the light side (past upon past experience).

Here's another tip ... if you see something on the menu you really like (ie: escargot), ask if you can get it again the next night. There are some times when this is possible ... other times it may not be possible. In the case of escargot, it is only made in one specific restaurant. If you are seated in another restaurant that night, your server can place an order one day in advance ... then (during your seating) will walk from your current restaurant, to the other restaurant (where the escargot is being prepared) to pick up your order. Essentially, this is a special order. Remember this, as your server will not be ON THE (restaurant) FLOOR while he is attending to your special request. DCL requires either the server, or assistant server to be ON THE FLOOR (visible to their guests) at all times.

In another example, my wife ordered "x" for her entree, but also saw a Scallop and Shrimp pasta dish also offered as an entree. She asked for "x" as her entree ... and ALSO asked for a side order of the scallops and shrimp. It happens ALL of the time ... at least on DCL!

Are you traveling with kids? You do not have to cut your child's food ... the server will do it for you. Kids want ketchup? Disney does not place a bottle of ketchup on the tables in the main dining rooms. If a little one wants ketchup, the server will bring a side plate, and pour ketchup in the shape of a Mickey Head. Need more? The server is already on the look out ... enjoy your dinner ... your server will make sure your kids enjoy theirs as well!

Having cruised DCL 15 times, I can pretty much guarantee you will LOVE cruising. I can almost guarantee you will NOT be happy sailing with other cruise lines, once you have sailed DCL.

Anticipating you will like cruising DCL, I would suggest you consider booking another cruise while you are onboard. This will entitle you to a 10% discount on your next DCL cruise ... as well as an ONBOARD CREDIT. There will be plenty of information presented to you about rebooking another cruise ... so remember to consider spending 10-15 minutes to do so, when/if possible.
:beach:

By the way, we were seated at a table of four (with friends). Two of requested (and received) THREE SERVINGS of Escargot. Our wives requested (and received) a Caesar Salad (not on the menu). They also requested (and received) shaved Parmesan ... not grated.

DON'T FORGET TO ASK FOR A MICKEY ICE CREAM BAR FOR DESSERT ... IN ADDITION TO ANYTHING ELSE ON THE MENU. Mickey Ice Cream Bars are not on the desert menu ... but are a favorite. We requested them EVERY NIGHT ... in addition to whatever else we ordered for dessert.

Steven

I also had a standing order for mac n cheese while one of our table mates had a standing order for french fries from the kids menu.
- Disney routinely has NUMEROUS taste tests of their Mac-n-Cheese! DCL wants to make sure they are offering the best Mac-n-Cheese available!
:cool1:

We never use the elevators. We take stairs thru out cruise. It's our penance for eating as we wish!
- At the very least, consider ALWAYS using the stairs when going to a lower level. If you are going up one floor ... consider the stairs. You'll be surprised at how well this little tactic works!

Steven

Why should anyone care about this? The wait staffs whole purpose is to serve you. The whole purpose of the cruise is to go and be pampered in an all inclusive atmosphere. It is not the customers job to worry about the stress or chaos the staff is experiencing.
If someone decides they want another appetizer after the main course then they shouldn't worry about asking for it. Knowing what you will like or if the portions are big enough all at the beginning of the meal is impossible and ordering too much because the staff may have to work extra is wasteful. If the kitchen or wait staff can't do it I am sure they will tell you.

Servers, Assistant Servers and Head Servers are people, too! It's not that they can't handle their jobs ... rather ... it makes it easier for them to serve the guests. As an example, if you order Lamb Chops, the server picks up a prepared plate, as ordered for you. On the other hand, if you place a special order (ie: double portion, or, without potatoes), the server (not the chef) will have to plate the food. While there is no problem doing this, it means your server will be off the restaurant floor for a little longer. If the server has to do this 10-12 times per seating ... it can delay the dining experience. Accordingly, if you ask for a double portion, the server may place two orders ... both plated the same ... even though you may not eat the potatoes or vegetables. In the long run, it's much easier (and faster) for them to get the meals served as quickly as possible. At any given time, each server is handling 3-4 tables of up to 10 guests per table.

Servers have A LOT to do, and a short time in which to get their jobs done. Their "down time" (or time off) is given to them when their job is done. Sometimes, they may get 20 minutes off before having to be back at work ... other times it may be for a hour ... or possibly more.

don't order more than you can eat. I always see a lot of plates with a ton of food left on them after the guests have left the table.

It may interest you to know, DCL looks at what food is not eaten (left on guests plates). Leftovers may indicate you are full, but it may also say you do not like something specific. I'm not so sure how they know between the difference ... but I am guessing they have it down to a science. ::yes::

We call them FOOD PUSHERS. It really gets on my nerves a bit. I don't like them asking me why I don't want to order something and then trying to badger me to order. The servers will tell the head waiter and then here comes more badgering. Gee! ;) ;) Sometimes you're just full. We have skipped dinner before to solve it and then when we show the next night, it's "don't you like us? Are we not doing a good job?" Haha. It's just easier to order and waste.

I sell REAL ESTATE. In my field, we have a saying, "buyers are liars." It's not disrespectful, rather, it's a moniker which suggests, the buyer (guest) might not know exactly what they want. It's similar on a cruise ship. You might order "x", then realize you are FULL, or, that you do not care for what you ordered. Any such attempt by the server is merely to make sure you are served ... and that you enjoy your meal. If you do not finish a meal, the head server may stop by to make sure everything is okay. It's not a problem for them to do this ... it's their responsibility. How many times have you been out to TGI Friday's when a server asks "how is everything?" You instinctively say, "fine," but then you realize, the food SUCKS! Wouldn't it be nice for TGI Friday's to replace that crappy dish you ordered, and get something else you REALLY like? That's what the service team is there to do. :thumbsup2

... don't be cheap at the end of the cruise if you made your staff work a little harder to make your cruise they best experience you have ever had!

I normally leave the suggested gratuity on my room charge. If I feel they offered excellent or superb service, I will usually include extra spending cash in their gratuity envelope. This allows the servers to use cash if they want to buy a beer at the local watering hole.

REMEMBER: If you are sailing IN (or TO) the Mediterranean, consider giving Euro's as cash gratuities. If you are sailing IN (or TO) Mexico, there is generally no need for Peso's, as most Mexican facilities will graciously accept the US Dollar!

BTW on the Hawaii cruise, we sat with a couple that ordered one of everything on the menu so they could taste all that was offered..so dont be afraid to order many items..DCL is used to this..

Also I am special (GF) so I order the night before from the head server so the kitchen can make mine and everyone else that is "special" .I bond with head servers..LOL

.they will come up with many creative solutions and delight you every night..

Oh and leave room for lots of ice cream during the day from the ice cream place.really , really good...(ice scream on the Dream)

Ok so,we put this to the test a few times. On our second cruise our waiters were awesome! My DH wanted creme brûlée that was in another restaurant. My server asked him how many he wanted and said " I'm not going for just one or two..lol" so DH took 2 and ordered the guy next to us one haha. They also had my DH try a few entrees that they thought he would enjoy...well DH HATED the veal and took 1 bite, they took it away and brought him 2 other entrees without question. Another night DH had his entree gone in less than 5 mins and wanted more so they brought another. Another night they literally brought us every dessert on the menu! I have denied dessert and stepped away to the ladies room only to come back to find an amazing dessert at my place seating! I order at least 2 loaded potato soups...mmmm yummy. I order whatever, if I'm gonna try something it's gonna be here...I've paid for it!

What people including myself forget is you will be out at sea on a rocking ship. I get motion sickness. Thank God for the free sea sickness medicine! With that in mind, you may not want overfill yourself until you know how you will react. I ordered ginger ale with dinner every night to calm my stomach. We always have had second dinner seating. I agree with eating a later lunch and something around 4. Dinner we sometimes ordered two or three different appetizers or two different entrees. On pirate night we just forego the dessert and eat at the pirate buffet. Don't forget there is 24 hour room service except for the last night. We had a verandah and oftentimes ordered room service and sat out there.

The only time we thought we might miss dinner service was when we went to Palo. We still made it over to our table so we could tip our server. (That was on the Wonder) On the Dream however, I wouldn't suggest missing any of the dinners unless it's your repeat restaurant.

What people including myself forget is you will be out at sea on a rocking ship. I get motion sickness. Thank God for the free sea sickness medicine! With that in mind, you may not want overfill yourself until you know how you will react. I ordered ginger ale with dinner every night to calm my stomach. We always have had second dinner seating. I agree with eating a later lunch and something around 4. Dinner we sometimes ordered two or three different appetizers or two different entrees. On pirate night we just forego the dessert and eat at the pirate buffet. Don't forget there is 24 hour room service except for the last night. We had a verandah and oftentimes ordered room service and sat out there.

The only time we thought we might miss dinner service was when we went to Palo. We still made it over to our table so we could tip our server. (That was on the Wonder) On the Dream however, I wouldn't suggest missing any of the dinners unless it's your repeat restaurant.

The thing is, even if it's a repeat MDR, the menu will be different. They don't serve the same menu on subsequent visits to the same MDR.

:cutie:

Not sure if this had already been mentioned, but, you can order something that is not on the menu. Just in case you have trouble finding something suitable to your liking ;)

This happened with us at AP, we weren't too thrilled with pirate night's selection, so we ordered 2 giant Caesar salads & mickey ice cream bars!

In addition to ordering what you know you like, also take the opportunity to try new foods. On our cruise, my 13 year old son wanted to try lobster, this was the perfect time for him to do so. Unfortunately for us, he likes it!!:rotfl2:

I also recommend the Mickey bars for dessert, and also from room service!! LOVE THEM!!!:thumbsup2

The thing is, even if it's a repeat MDR, the menu will be different. They don't serve the same menu on subsequent visits to the same MDR.

:cutie:
They post the menus on the Dream right outside the restaurants so you can choose if you want to eat that night or not and there are also menus posted here on the Dis so you can figure out what your must haves are too. But as PP's said your waitstaff can get you whatever you want to eat even if it's not being served in that particular restaurant. We went to all of our meal nights on the Dream but skipped one on our 4 day Wonder.

This is just a suggestion, but get some guidance from the servers on what are the best items on the menu. They have a pretty good record for picking the best food in the kitchen. Unless there is something that I'm really set on having (oddly enough, I love their red cabbage), I almost always go with a recommendation from our server.

Most of all, ENJOY!!

Our experience on DCL was like this. Not only were the servers recommendations the best, because we had the same servers every night by midweek they were even able to base their recommendations on our personal preferences. It was amazing....
One night my husband and I both ordered what we thought we wanted, which was not what he had recommended. After a few bites, we both conceded that we were not enjoying it, our server in anticipation of this brought out his recommendation for each of us. After that I always let him decide for me.
Best service ever!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!