ok now I'm mad

gabbysmom04

DIS Veteran
Now I love being a DVC member but I am mad that I pay $400 a month for my DVC but cannot get any of the really good perks that are offered to other people. Sure I get a discount on things but free night and now free dining again! Sometimes it really stinks!!! :confused3 Since we pay for Disney should'nt we get something free too?

I understand completely, just make sure you don't read some of the comments from Renters who are now upset they are renting points and having to pay for the Dining Plan. I mean do they not realize what a bargain they are getting. I read a few discussions on cancelling their rental and going with the Plan.

Members who are renting I would be careful about the effect this might have on your reservations. Hope no one gets left with a points reservation.

The free dining plan requires paying full rate for the room. You are getting a great rate on the room. Would you be upset if CRO ran a discount for 25% off the rooms? This is another way to give a discount. Calling it "free dining" but requiring a full rate room comes out the same, especially for the higher rate rooms. The best deal with the free dining is staying at a value or moderate because the free dining comes out to a higher percent off, especially if you have more than 2 people. The deluxes may not be as good. If you have 2 adults, the free dining would be equal to $76 off. Many times deluxes are offered for $100 off room rates. Again "free dining" is just another way to promote a discount. It also keeps people tied to WDW property.

debbieb, when you put it that way I don't feel so bad. I just think that since we all pay so much for the DVC we should be given something for free or for a really good deal. It was so hard to get the dining plan for DVC! I think I just want an excuse for another trip to WDW

Sammie said:
I understand completely, just make sure you don't read some of the comments from Renters who are now upset they are renting points and having to pay for the Dining Plan. I mean do they not realize what a bargain they are getting. I read a few discussions on cancelling their rental and going with the Plan.

Members who are renting I would be careful about the effect this might have on your reservations. Hope no one gets left with a points reservation.
I think the calmer minds will do the actual math and find they come out better renting DVC and paying for the dining plan. I've seen a couple of posts to that effect already.

Plus, the "free" dining is only for a 6-week period when Disney can't fill the rooms because of hurricane season, school starting, etc, etc.

On the bright side, I sure did enjoy my DVC AP discount X 2 today!

gabbysmom04 said:
debbieb, when you put it that way I don't feel so bad. I just think that since we all pay so much for the DVC we should be given something for free or for a really good deal. It was so hard to get the dining plan for DVC! I think I just want an excuse for another trip to WDW

Don't forget the $100 off annual passes. They added the dining plan without the MYW ticket requirement. I think DVC under Jim Lewis is working hard to get DVC member benefits.

And DVC members get quite a few discounts on dining, recreation, shopping, tours, etc.

dont forget DVC Members can get a 25% discount on dvc rooms if they are available for a cash discount. I remember a couple of years ago I could have booked a 2 bedroom at the okw for Easter, yep can believe at Easter time, getting a 25% discount. I didnt need a 2 bedroom but it would have been nice.

Not to mention how much less we're paying for accommodations, over the course of time.

bicker said:
Not to mention how much less we're paying for accommodations, over the course of time.

Way less! I wonder if the frustration is greater if you paid for your points more recently and the big $$ outlay is more memorable. We paid for our points over 10 years ago. I remember feeling like, "hey, we just paid $xx,xxx for this, you'd think they'd be more accomodating". Now, I just think I'm getting a great deal.

And that's like any such purchase. I remember when we bought our house: We put $280,000 on the line -- you'd think the builder would be more accommodating! :rotfl: Now, I'd be happy if he'd just tell us who installed something so we can pay the guy to fix it!

Things are not always what they seem!! :goodvibes

Beware of the word "FREE"...I don't "expect" a perk but nice to have when I can capitalize on it. :woohoo:

Disney "owes" me nothing...I bought a timeshare!
:thumbsup2

One thing I'm realizing, these days, is that there are a lot of things that aren't what they seem. I don't think there was a single DIS veteran saying that Disney would surely do "free dining" again -- the vast majority were sure they never would. The popularity of the for-pay dining plan sure made it seem that they didn't "need" to. What we've learned from this is that they've managed to significantly reduce the costs of the food and beverage operations so now giving dining away is a very viable promotion, looking at the long-term, not just as an introductory promotion.

By the same token, it wasn't clear why Disney would offer dining plan to DVC members at all, and surely didn't seem like there was any reason they'd do so at the same price they were charging cash customers, for whom the dining plan seemed to represent an attractive loss-leader. Yet, they did.

So I'm gun-shy about saying that Disney wouldn't ever offer free dining to DVC members. :rotfl:

bicker said:
One thing I'm realizing, these days, is that there are a lot of things that aren't what they seem. I don't think there was a single DIS veteran saying that Disney would surely do "free dining" again -- the vast majority were sure they never would. The popularity of the for-pay dining plan sure made it seem that they didn't "need" to. ...(snip)...........By the same token, it wasn't clear why Disney would offer dining plan to DVC members at all, and surely didn't seem like there was any reason they'd do so at the same price they were charging cash customers, for whom the dining plan seemed to represent an attractive loss-leader. Yet, they did.

So I'm gun-shy about saying that Disney wouldn't ever offer free dining to DVC members. :rotfl:
Me, too. Who among us would ever have predicted that DVC would offer members a $100 discount on annual passes? I was hoping for 10% and would have been thrilled with 15% or 20%!!! Thank you DVC!

Best wishes -

Also, DVC offers dining discounts, free valet parking, pool hopping, golf discounts, etc.

I understand what everyone is saying. I just bought two years ago with an add on last year so the payments are fresh in my mind. In fact we are still paying right now. I agree that when it is paid off I will think a bit different. I know that disney does not really have to sell us on coming we all own there so even if we don't set foot in WDW we are still paying. BTW I really do love DVC I just would love something free!!! Who would'nt? I am sure my OP made me sould a bit crazy!

Frank, no special AP promotion. As a DVC member, there is a discount on annual passes (with certain limitations).

Cyn

Well, if you think about it, this is just a little bit funny. We - DVC members - clamored for the right to be able to purchase the dining plan and once DVC got Disney to agree to this, they make it free for everyone else. :rotfl2:

Ok, I know nothing is actually free, but this is still funny. Next time we clamor, we should probably clamor for "free" stuff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter