OK Disney - soon a mass email revolt? Changes...

Do you remember all the whining when people could no longer get the whole box of Entenmann's donuts anymore? A box of donuts is not a snack, people.

While the dining plan is more than enough food for most people....I have a teenaged boy who is currently growing like a weed and eating us out of house and home. He thinks a box of donuts and half a gallon of milk, along with 3-4 bananas is a mid morning snack.

From August 1-20 he grew 11/16 of an inch. I need to measure him again and see if he did add a full inch in the month of August alone. This next trip, we are budgeting a lot of money out of pocket to ensure he gets enough to eat.

I just wish the dining plan's snack credit process were clearer, such as ...."any item under four bucks is a snack." I think a lot of the complaining is just people's frustration about what seems to be an arbitrary and capricious system that changes and morphs without notice. Also, it is frustrating when it seems as if the always changing rules are also randomly enforced.

--Eeyore's Wife

You are aware that the only official DDP snack items are what's mentioned in the annual brochure, i.e. bottles of soda, small popcorn, Mickey ice cream bar, etc.?

Yes, there are hundreds of additional items available as snacks, but those are not officially listed and thus Disney has no obligation to keep them on or let them go. The fact that we've been able to get funnel cakes, or Figaro fries (in the past, now gone), or egg rolls is no guarantee that you will be able to get them in the future, and no reason to complain if they do go away.

I look at all the extra things I can get with a snack credit as an "insider's thank-you" from Disney that Disboard followers et al. know about that most ordinary visitors do not. It's not written in our bill of dining plan rights, nor should it be an expectation.

Be grateful you have all those wonderful options at all. :)

Exactly. It wasn't until May 2006 that all the other delicious items suddenly appeared as snack credits. They could change it back at any time.

I just wish the dining plan's snack credit process were clearer, such as ...."any item under four bucks is a snack."
--Eeyore's Wife

And people would find a way to exploit this - the few that I can think of off the top of my head are a) going into a table service restaurant to purchase a kid's dessert or a $3.99 smoothie or specialty drink and expecting it to be a snack credit because, after all, "It's under $4". People trying to purchase non food items because, after all, "It's under $4". And remember when the under $4 "rule" was originally talked about here on the DIS boards, many of the kids meals were $3.99. Isn't an order of chicken nuggets, fries, grapes and a drink a snack because, after all, "It's under $4".

Honestly we need to write a revolt email en masse to Disney Guest relations - what? NO FUNNEL CAKES on the DDP - ok I can live with that - but bumping up the price to over $4 - THAT is ridiculous!

(and I read somewhere on the Dis that it can be a snack credit, but no fruit toppings - then it wasnt allowed for another poster, then another poster said she got it last week as a snack credit - no fruit!!)

First the French Toast Loaf, then the Pretzel (et el) at Goofy, now the Funnel cakes - what's next Disney? The Dole Whip FLoats? That at least will get the emails going from the Dis I'd think!

Oh, sorry for my vent... I guess I'm not very good with changes!!

I'm not going to go to DTD - what's the point - Mickey's Got My Money (and DTD is just more ways to spend my money!) I used to go for the charming pretzel rod candy making experience - something different..

and I'm still shaking my head over the replacement of the Buffet Prime Rib for the Roast Beef (tougher, drier cut)

I'm sure it is an attempt to recoup the loss/strain of Free Dining - all the food is becoming generic -

Changes....

I have another disappointment to add to your list. The options for "making your own" treat at Goofy's in DTD has now been limited to Oreo Cookie, Gingerbread, pretzels or marshmallows. No more Mickey Head Krispie treats. And I learned that one the hard way after reading it was included, going in and having DS11 make one, and then being told it wasn't on the snack list anymore..boo hiss.....So I had to pay for that one OOP-almost $5!! Thank goodness DS9 wanted marshmallows.

We actually used our snack credits a lot for muffins/croissants for breakfast the next day. A nice alternative to the cereal we brought.

I have another disappointment to add to your list. The options for "making your own" treat at Goofy's in DTD has now been limited to Oreo Cookie, Gingerbread, pretzels or marshmallows.

I read on another thread that the oreo is being removed from the snack list in the next few days. I guess I'll go for the Marshmallows, that is if they are still included in Dec. I sure was looking forward to the MM rice crispy treat, dipped in dark chocolate and pecans, then drizzled in caramel:sad2:. Then, I was going to go the oreo, now the marshmallows.

We haven't used the DDP in almost two years. We have also cut back on our meals...The quality of the food and the menu choices have suffered because of free DDP. IMHO

This is my first time with the DDP and it's free.
This would also be my first funnel cake at disney. I've just never eaten them though they are my big thing that I always get at local parks and fairs.
Now, my one thing that I wanted to get in THREE WEEKS is gone?

screw the dining plan even if it is free.
i don't want to be force fed creme brulee instead! It's JUST PUDDING!
I want my funnel cake!

This is my first time with the DDP and it's free.
This would also be my first funnel cake at disney. I've just never eaten them though they are my big thing that I always get at local parks and fairs.
Now, my one thing that I wanted to get in THREE WEEKS is gone?

screw the dining plan even if it is free.
i don't want to be force fed creme brulee instead! It's JUST PUDDING!
I want my funnel cake!
I'd take creme brulee over funnel cake any day. :goodvibes

but funnelcakes are crunchy and you have great potential to be covered in powdered sugar...it's just funnnnnnnnnnnn

I just wish the dining plan's snack credit process were clearer, such as ...."any item under four bucks is a snack." I think a lot of the complaining is just people's frustration about what seems to be an arbitrary and capricious system that changes and morphs without notice. Also, it is frustrating when it seems as if the always changing rules are also randomly enforced.

--Eeyore's Wife

I agree 100% eeyores wife, this needs to be clearly defined. In another post the PP states she thought an item that has been a snack for several years was on the plan and she went up to pay for it and told it wasn't. We all know the different levels of CM knowledge out there and this may cause one to think the CM is wrong. This would make me fruestrated too, just because I would be thinking I was not treated like someone else. I am not advocating a blanketed $4 deal, but I think we should have a defined list and stick to it. Some of the time the CM doesn't know if something will ring up and count as a snack entitlement.

I agree 100% eeyores wife, this needs to be clearly defined. In another post the PP states she thought an item that has been a snack for several years was on the plan and she went up to pay for it and told it wasn't. We all know the different levels of CM knowledge out there and this may cause one to think the CM is wrong. This would make me fruestrated too, just because I would be thinking I was not treated like someone else. I am not advocating a blanketed $4 deal, but I think we should have a defined list and stick to it. Some of the time the CM doesn't know if something will ring up and count as a snack entitlement.

But the majority of people don't go to Disney armed with a list of items that *other people* have been able to get using a snack credit. They go up some place, look at the menu, look for the little snack symbol and decide what to order (or pay for if what they want isn't considered a snack).

The DDP inlcudes 1 snack per day - if you want something not offered on the DDP, use your snack for a drink and pay for what you want to eat.

I was so happy when I first booked my trip, that FD was going to be over then, and I had paid for my dining... then FD happened to be extended! I'm not so happy to be visiting during FD because this happens all of the time... the food is "dumbed down" so to speak... AND snacks are eliminated... it's depressing.

I agree 100% eeyores wife, this needs to be clearly defined.
It seems to be very clearly defined in the Disney literature. :confused3
I agree with another poster who said it is listed in the brochure. Anything beyond that look at as a true treat.
I'm sure Disney realizes guests can only want so many Mickey bars and bottled waters. That is why other offerings are allowed. However if Disney chose to, they could stick hard to what is in their brochure and be perfectly within their right to do so. They have not removed anything they have listed in their brochure.
People had to see this coming when it starts off with guests getting entire boxes of donuts as a snack.

I've been at WDW for a week and am still here (during free dining, and I am not on the dining plan) and I have had no problem with the food. Some things have been changed, some things have been added. (I am not searching for good deals or for snacks on the plan and am spending whatever I want to spend, when I want to spend it.) I'm sticking to TS restaurants for the most part. I have been to three CS and only one (Tangierine Cafe) I thought was outstanding. I really love Cava del Tequila's appetizer plates. They don't take the dining plan, so I would not be able to eat there at all if I was on the plan (without paying).

Have you seen the snack credit list on the snack thread? It's huge. I'm sure with a list that extensive, Disney needs to remain fluid about what it will and won't allow. If it's demanded that an actual official list be provided, they might decide to cut that list way down.

Have you seen the snack credit list on the snack thread? It's huge. I'm sure with a list that extensive, Disney needs to remain fluid about what it will and won't allow. If it's demanded that an actual official list be provided, they might decide to cut that list way down.

I agree. Publishing the list as it is right now would be a nightmare. The only logical thing to do would be to cut it down to a more manageable size, if they were to start publishing it. Personally, I'd rather see it unclear and have to ask CMs about specific items on occasion than see the snack list cut down to fit into a section of the dining plan brochure!

I know when we were in Magic kingdom on 8/19, even though the funnel cake did not have a snack credit symbol listed on the menu, I was able to get one as a snack credit.

I also was able to get my DD a small sugar tube as a snack credit at the gift shop by winnie the pooh ride. I asked the cm nicely if it was a snack credit. She said the only way to be sure was to try and ring it up as a snack credit. I let her know we were only getting it if it was a snack credit and she got it to ring up as a snack credit. The other place I tried to get them as a snack, told me no. When I asked if they could please check since we were able to get it the other day in magic kingdom, wound up giving my DD the sugar tubes for free instead of trying to ring it up as a snack credit.

We've "done" the DDP for years. We've even used the DxDP...worked out great for character meals. I decided where and what we'd probably eat...ran the numbers and it was cost efficient to use the deluxe plan. The regular plan wasn't such a good deal for us.

Our last trip DH and I only had a few ADRs. Our next trip? We are there for 7 days and only have 5 ADRs:scared1:, one is the Wishes Dessert Party. I have become soooo disappointed in WDW menu and food quality that we are eating less and less in the parks.

I can't see being herded through a restaurant and paying more for the plan than I would OOP. Sorry, I'm just really disappointed with this whole dining matter. (and I'm not one of those who bought groceries with snack credits)

It seems to be very clearly defined in the Disney literature. :confused3
I agree with another poster who said it is listed in the brochure. Anything beyond that look at as a true treat.
I'm sure Disney realizes guests can only want so many Mickey bars and bottled waters. That is why other offerings are allowed. However if Disney chose to, they could stick hard to what is in their brochure and be perfectly within their right to do so. They have not removed anything they have listed in their brochure.
People had to see this coming when it starts off with guests getting entire boxes of donuts as a snack.

Well those boxes of donuts go on sale here where I live for $2.50 !!!

Because of the dumbing down of the menus year after year I have ....................
Its no big deal..........
I have protested by cancelling my November trip with Disney I'll be going on a 10 day non Disney cruise with great food :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:cool1:

Well those boxes of donuts go on sale here where I live for $2.50 !!!
Its no big deal..........
I have protested by cancelling my November trip with Disney I'll be going on a 10 day non Disney cruise with great food :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:cool1:
Seriously? You cancelled your Disney trip because you can't get a box of doughnuts anymore with a snack credit? That seems a bit extreme. Maybe you're just being sarcastic, but I for one, don't go to Disney for food I can get at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter