ok dis drs...whats up?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by luvmyfam444, Oct 1, 2012.

1. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

Even though that it is an "off label" use, I cannot see someone taking Prozac from your OBGYN UNLES you need confer with a psyche or PCP for this so you can be under a watchful eye with regards to how the med is working for you.

I would say that this is poor use of the medication to prescribe it that way.

After watching my family play medication merry go round, it is really better if you get it from a psychiatrist or a PCP whom you trust and see on a reg. basis.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Christine

Christine <font color=red>Would love to be able to sit on th

SARAFEM is PROZAC and has been prescribed for PMDD for years now. It can be prescribed full-time or it has been proven effective with intermittent use. See below from the prescribing information:

4. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

I would do two things. First, go to the doctor and have every possibility completely checked out. Second, I would not take the advice of people on the Internet. Except for the part about going to the doctor that is. ;)

5. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

I get what you are saying however this poster does not go to the doctor. If you are going to take Prozac you need a working relationship with your PCP.

That was the point I was trying to get across.

6. Christine

Christine <font color=red>Would love to be able to sit on th

Oh, I didn't think the OP was even taking it anymore:

I was mainly responding to a few posters and yourself who seemed to think it was oddball to take "Prozac" in this fashion (see below). It's not really and is often done at the GYN (I've seen the brochures in my GYN's office).

Now, having cleared that up: I do agree that a psych is a better person to see for these meds. I think the SSRIs are quite potent, powerful and shouldn't be taken lightly.

7. disneymarie

disneymarie <font color=blue>Its a rumour about the donuts...<

Have they done a good work up on your thyroid ? That and just ton's on my mind are a problem.

8. Micca

Micca Where there's a will, there's an heir

OK, I'm a guy and lousy with knowledge about vitamins, hormones, etc. I'd encourage you to see a doc or docs till you can figure out what's up. Doctors are generally better with handling this kind of thing than they were just a few years ago. If meds are the answer, give them a try to see if it helps. Best of luck:)

9. Kathryn Merteuil

Kathryn Merteuil Barden Bella

I am 40 and I feel some of that stuff too. I also have the issue of being WAY too emotional, I seem to cry over the smallest of things now.

10. Tinker'n'Fun

Tinker'n'Fun <font color=purple>"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie"

Commercials make me cry, TV shows make me cry, Movies make me cry, Songs on the radio make me cry, and the one that is the hardest to hide, crying every single time I go near DS's high school.:guilty:

OP did you make the appt. I didn't notice an update.

11. xipotec

xipotec Grinning Ghosts

80% of depression is mis-diagnosis. This is not speculation but literature supported.

Prozac couldnt get FDA approval until cognitive therapy was added. Ssri's like prozac are at best a chemical band-aid that never comes off. What you need is true behavior modification to discover why you are feeling down.

Assuming that is you have no actual disease states like hypothyroidism, which is very common in women your age.

Also , are you eating good food? Getting plenty of exercise? Sleeping in consistent patterns? Finding new interests and activities? Pills are never the answer, the above solutions work but they take commitment and effort, as do most things in life that yield fruit.

Get your complete blood count, talk to a counselor or social worker , and get off the prozac. Thats my advice.

Dr Xipo

12. xipotec

xipotec Grinning Ghosts

This is wrong, prozac prescribed this way is simply a placebo. The studies ELilly did were the worst sort of clinical trash in a long time. they pretty much invented PMDD to get the patent life of Prozac extended so they could keep making money. The kinetics and dynamics of the compound will NOT work this way. It like saying a drop of water a day will keep you hydrated, its not possible. Sorry!

13. xipotec

xipotec Grinning Ghosts

Double post