ok...about the 3 year old thing...

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by saraheliz, Jan 20, 2010.

1. saraheliz

saraheliz Mouseketeer

so we're taking dd to disney for her 3rd birthday. she turns 3 the day we leave, which we deliberately planned so that she would get in for free, etc.

she, however, thinks it's funny to say that she is 3 already. that, coupled with all the talk that will be happening at the time of her impending birthday, and i am terrified that if someone asks her how old she is, she'll say 3!!

tell me i'm not crazy! i shouldn't care because i'm telling the truth, but i am for some reason!

the only thing i have going for me is that she is teeny tiny, she will be 3 in may and is only 24 lbs.

what is wrong with me? :confused3

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DisneyBamaFan

DisneyBamaFan Alabama - 2009 National Champions

My older son turned 3 on one trip. He was/is huge for his age (he is 12 and 5'10" now). Well, one day after his b'day, as we were entering the park, a CM asked him his age. He proudly said 3. The CM looked at us in askance, and we explained.

From that day on, we had him wear his Birthday button. No more questions from CMs, and he got a lot more attention... :goodvibes

4. DW2010

DW2010 DIS Veteran

Do you mean that she turns 3 the day you leave Disney? As long as she's 2 when you check in, they shouldn't have an issue from my understanding.

5. KateMW

KateMW DIS Veteran

I would take his birth certificate just in case.

6. karliebug

karliebug DIS Veteran

My 2 year old was very tall for her age, I can see why they would question her. One day the CM asked her how old she was and she said "16". He just laughed and waved us through.

7. Alesia

Alesia DIS Veteran

They are not going to ask you for a birth certificate.

Anyone who has any experience at all with kids this age knows that they do that. It won't be a big deal.

8. tzolkin

tzolkin DIS Veteran

I could never understand where asking a child that young would be "proof" that they were a certain age. When my kids were that little they didn't know how old they were. Maybe I'm just a weird/bad parent, but we just never discussed it. My girls could count and knew their alphabet, but would not have known to answer 2 if asked. My one DD was extremely shy until last year, so she would have hidden her face if a CM asked her age. My DS had big delays in speech and would have smiled/pointed/etc, but not said anything.

You could always bring a photocopy, just to prove that you're not lying if you're really concerned with what they think. But this is not necessary. We have never had any problems (last trip DS just under 3 was 45 lbs and just an inch shorter than our 5yo). We've also never had a CM ask either the adults or the child how old the little one was.

9. emma'smom

emma'smom <font color=magenta>P.S. Who would serve turnips a

They probably won't even ask, especially if she is small. My dd (who is petite) had turned 3 in January and we were there in March. We NEVER once were asked and often waved through when we tried to put her ticket in the machine with a "you don't need to do that for her". We had the tickets, of course, and wanted to activate them for Fast Passes---so we would put them in anyway. However the CM's mostly just opened the gate to push the stroller through and never looked twice.

10. minnie4me

minnie4me DIS Veteran

we took DS for his 3rd bday a few years ago. He turned 3 midway thru trip. On his actual birthday we went to the Crystal Palace for lunch. THe CM who sat us charged us for his meal, but our waiter noticed the charge and asked us if he was actually turning three that day. We said yes, he said hold on, and took our bill and removed the charge. He said no way was he going to charge for him on his birthday. Most CM's are very nice like that.
    I wouldn't worry. If Disney said she's free when you booked, then she's free !!

11. Scrubba2

Scrubba2 Mouseketeer

Just like the above posters our DS was HUGE at 2. (He is 6 now, but could pass for 8)

We were NEVER questioned. I was nervous that the turnstile CM's wouldn't believe me, but they NEVER even slowed us down to chat.

For your own piece of mind, I'd carry the birth certificate (you will need it for the airline anyway for a lap child possibly).

If I were a betting person, I'd bet all my money that you will not be challenged in any way so don't worry whatsoever.

Have a great time!!:cool1:

12. pixiewings71

pixiewings71 <marquee><font color=deeppink>Sweet!!! Totally!!!!

According to Disney, if your child is under 3 (or 9) when your trip starts they are free (or kids price) during the whole trip. They don't make you pay halfway thru.

13. tartemis

tartemis DIS Veteran

I posted in another thread that I'm nervous about this as well -- but, my 2 year old is already 40 inches and 40 lbs! But, my husband is 6'7" and I'm 6'1", so hopefully they won't think we are scamming the system.

14. MSSANDRA

MSSANDRA DIS Veteran

When DS was little and right at the birthday mark I took a reduced size copy of his birth certificate. Never needed it but made me feel better. They did ask him a few times and he was small.

15. kbheap

kbheap Mouseketeer

They will ask, your dd will tell. Just explain. We have all done it. I agree with bamafan, have them wear birthday button. That will probably explain for you and then dd will also get the extra special attention.

16. saraheliz

saraheliz Mouseketeer

thanks, guys. it's not so much that i'm concerned- i mean i can always just stick a copy of her birth certificate in my bag or whatever- i just don't want anyone to *think* i'm a liar.

it's like i feel guilty for doing nothing wrong. maybe it's because i know there are people who do break the rules, and the thought of someone thinking i'm one of them makes me unhappy. i'm kind of a stickler for rules... :-)

and yes- for clarification- she will be 2 the entire time we're there until the day we leave to go home.

17. tam626

tam626 DIS Veteran

I would take a copy, if nothing else, at least for your peace of mind.

18. Princesspigletsmom

Princesspigletsmom Earning My Ears

We took our twins at age 3 and they are different sizes, one is a whole head bigger. No one asked us at all. I would not worry to much about it.

19. buzzmom3

buzzmom3 DIS Veteran

My daughter will turn 3 about two weeks after our trip and I plan on bringing a copy of her birth certificate just for my own piece of mind. She doesn't know how old she is either but I will just feel better if I have it.

20. foltzy

foltzy Mouseketeer

We were there in Oct. They never once asked my 2 year old son or us about his age and he's just over 43 inches tall. His sister who's 4 is 45. We had no problems at any TS meals or go into any parks.