Ohana's Speeding!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have always had a great time there also. Sometimes I think we receive the kind of service that we *ask* for or *expect*. We always try to *connect* with our servers, smile, ask where they're from, etc. This usually breaks the ice and we always get great service.

the implication of this, of course, is that those of us who have had bad experiences at 'Ohana got bad service due to our own behavior.

i go to lots and lots of restaurants all over the world. australia this week. i often get terrific service and am very fond of many restaurants. i don't go into any place, including 'Ohana, asking for a bad experience.

seriously, you think the reason i don't like 'Ohana is because i don't smile? the complaint i have about the service at 'Ohana is not that the servers are unfriendly. it is that they are overstretched, the whole place is run like a factory designed to rush people out, and we have typically not really seen our server again after an initial hello and drink order.

i think it is totally great that a lot of people love 'Ohana. really, i do. but, i resent being told that MY dislike for the place is invalid for some reason.

We were forced to rush thru our meal there in June as the room was full of smoke. Turns out their vents had stooped working over where they cook the meat. It wasn't a pleasant experience, and we had dressed up that night as we wanted to take our time after dinner and enjoy a drink or two on the monorail loop. Instead we rushed thru dinner to escape the smoke and went back to our room at BLT and had a shower because we smelt so bad :crazy2:

I'm not sure why people get so upset over whether others like a restaurant or not. For every restaurant, there are fans and there are critics. At 'Ohana, some love the AYCE family style; some hate it. Some like the interaction; some prefer a quieter dinner. Some love the shrimp; some are offended they have to peel it. We like the cast members to tell us about themselves and how they ended up at WDW. We like the ones that joke around with us. Some don't. On our last visit, we had really good service. However, we preferred the man who assisted our cousin more than our cousin. :). She was nice but he was more outgoing. What we liked, others may hate. For example, he had hurt his hand and was telling us about it. He had us laughing about him trying to not scream and jump and run around the kitchen. Not everyone wants their server to be so comfortable that they tell the story like that. The CMs are part of why we love WDW so we do.

Anyhoo ;) All that to say I don't understand why people get so worked up. If someone doesn't like 'Ohana or any other place, that's just a better chance for me to get in.

We have always had a great time there also. Sometimes I think we receive the kind of service that we *ask* for or *expect*. We always try to *connect* with our servers, smile, ask where they're from, etc. This usually breaks the ice and we always get great service.

I've never eaten dinner at Ohana just breakfast so I can't comment on how fast dinner is brought out. But I couldn't help comment on this post about connecting with a server and that being dependent on the service you get.

Now, I believe that customers and servers should be polite and courteous to each other. And, if a customer wants more of a personal conversation with the server AND THE SERVER HAS THE TIME TO STAND THERE AND BE BEST FRIENDS that's okay as long as other guests are not left unattended. I think some customers forget that they are not the only ones in the restaurant and their server has other tables to attend to. I don't think people do this intentionally. I personally like a more professional demeanor from a server and that most conversations revolve around the restaurant and the menu. Of course, there are exceptions but you should not feel as though you have to act a certain way to get what is expected in service. Why get caught up in being overly friendly to a server in order to expect good service and the server may feel they have to be overly personal to get a tip. Again, I like when we have a friendly server just not over the top personal.

My biggest pet peeve when eating out is when the server comments on an empty plate by saying, Wow, you must have been really hungry or words to that effect. That should be an important training rule to servers not to do.

We did 'Ohana for breakfast in August. Both food and service was passable, but not great. Our server just wasn't attentive, he passed by several times and never bothered to glance to see what need refilling. I ended up having to ask, and he did comply, but I shouldn't have had to. The only draw for us to go back is the characters for my son.

If I get really bad service at a restaurant (and I don't classify our meal there in this category), then it gets reflected in the tip. There is no motivation for them to improve, if there are no consequences.

the implication of this, of course, is that those of us who have had bad experiences at 'Ohana got bad service due to our own behavior.

i go to lots and lots of restaurants all over the world. australia this week. i often get terrific service and am very fond of many restaurants. i don't go into any place, including 'Ohana, asking for a bad experience.

seriously, you think the reason i don't like 'Ohana is because i don't smile? the complaint i have about the service at 'Ohana is not that the servers are unfriendly. it is that they are overstretched, the whole place is run like a factory designed to rush people out, and we have typically not really seen our server again after an initial hello and drink order. i think it is totally great that a lot of people love 'Ohana. really, i do. but, i resent being told that MY dislike for the place is invalid for some reason.

I agree! Ohana has good food, (not great food) and I too feel like "get em in and get em out". Not a good experience! Brunette

I've never eaten dinner at Ohana just breakfast so I can't comment on how fast dinner is brought out. But I couldn't help comment on this post about connecting with a server and that being dependent on the service you get.

Now, I believe that customers and servers should be polite and courteous to each other. And, if a customer wants more of a personal conversation with the server AND THE SERVER HAS THE TIME TO STAND THERE AND BE BEST FRIENDS that's okay as long as other guests are not left unattended. I think some customers forget that they are not the only ones in the restaurant and their server has other tables to attend to. I don't think people do this intentionally. I personally like a more professional demeanor from a server and that most conversations revolve around the restaurant and the menu. Of course, there are exceptions but you should not feel as though you have to act a certain way to get what is expected in service. Why get caught up in being overly friendly to a server in order to expect good service and the server may feel they have to be overly personal to get a tip. Again, I like when we have a friendly server just not over the top personal.

My biggest pet peeve when eating out is when the server comments on an empty plate by saying, Wow, you must have been really hungry or words to that effect. That should be an important training rule to servers not to do.

Wow!

Think you are sort of twisting my words around ;) I did not say (nor do we) keep our server at our table when he is finished serving, asking of our needs, etc. We merely ask a question, say a few words, he/she responds, and that's it. We never carry on long conversations - we do realize they are working. I have actually seen people do this and it's very annoying.

We also don't *cozy* up to get the great service, or whatever. We are merely friendly outgoing folks, who like others, and show it.

Sorry, if I offended you. I don't know how you enjoy your dinners while at Disney. I don't know if you speak for a minute with the server or 20 minutes. I was generalizing as I have seen many diners (not only at Disney) ramble on and on with servers while others may be waiting for something such as water, silverware, or need to voice a concern about something regarding their meal.

I quoted you about feeling the need to break the ice with the server. I can only speak for myself but when I go out to eat I expect courteous and dependable service whether or not the wait staff likes me. Again, if other diners make a personal connection with their server that's wonderful. I'm sure it enhances their dining experience. But, to me, it sounded like you felt you received better service due to breaking the ice with them. And you may have actually received better service because you "broke the ice" but that should not be the norm. We are all paying the same prices so we should all get equal service.

I do understand that if a server makes a personal connection with diners they will probably receive better service just as diners who really like their server give better tips. I am the same way. I just feel that good service should be expected when you eat out mot receive because of how the server perceives you. JMHO:goodvibes

I don't think we need to get into whether or not other diners should be talking to the servers. It's got nothing to do with anything.

People will talk to the servers or not talk to the servers, based on what they're used to doing.

This thread has outlasted its possible usefulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter