'Ohana vs. Teppen Edo

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by LauraluvsDisney2, Jan 30, 2013.

1. LauraluvsDisney2

LauraluvsDisney2 Earning My Ears

We had a reservation for Teppen Edo but a reservation opened up today for 'Ohana and I have been wanting to try 'Ohana so I booked it. Now my mom is not sure she wants to give up Teppen Edo. My question since I haven't tried either is what would you pick?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. goofyintoronto

goofyintoronto I really wanted to like it, but I didnt.

I'd pick Teppan Edo for sure.

I dont like the quality of food at Ohana at all. Slimy wings, dry potstickers, steak was dry and poor cut of meat, pork was down right nasty....chicken, salad, and bread were the only decent items. Dessert was amazing!

But at Teppan Edo, everything is delish. Love the filet. Love the noodles, and the desserts. So yummy! And i love the little show the chefs put on. Its great!

4. Kimosabe

Kimosabe DIS Veteran

Totally different dining experiences, so it's more a matter of your preference. Personally, I would take Ohana anytime over Teppan Edo (and over most other restaurants on property -- I love it), but the rest of my family (DW, DD10 and DD8) would probably taken Teppan Edo if those are the two choices....but would take several other places over it (they're just not huge Ohana fans!).

Ohana tends to get overhyped, so some people leave there disappointed, but again, I would go there on every trip if I had the only vote. Teppan Edo is fine, but no different than any other Japanese/hibachi-style steakhouse that you might find at home....but that assumes you have one in your hometown or otherwise relatively convenient. If not, then it's definitely a fun experience with quality food (even if not particularly original).

5. leepaulpxlee

leepaulpxlee Earning My Ears

I'll have to agree with Kimosabe on this one. Teppan Edo is just like your local Benihana. The show is cool for kids but the food and portions are average.

I've been to O'hana on every trip and love it. My family loves the food. Every half hour or so the kids can learn to do the hula and play some games. You can even catch the MK fireworks if you have reservations at the right time.

6. Magic3forme

Magic3forme Grand Slam club members

Ohana!! the food and the entertainment are great!!

Teppan edo is like every other Japanese steakhouse.. the food is good, but nothing special. ( I would rather go to Kobe in Orlando)

7. davedmaine

davedmaine DIS Veteran

Definitely go with Ohana. One of the best on Disney. Nothing that great about TE -- food portions are very small and the food is pretty bland.

8. iloveeeyore

iloveeeyore DIS Veteran

If you have a Japanese hibachi place in your area, go there. And then go to WDW and enjoy 'Ohana.

You can get Japanese steakhouse anywhere. There is only one 'Ohana.

9. LauraluvsDisney2

LauraluvsDisney2 Earning My Ears

Thatnk you for the suggestions :thumbsup2:)

10. ChrisNY2

ChrisNY2 Mouseketeer

I like both quite a bit.

I really enjoy the wonderful service from the entire staff at Teppan Edo. I actually went there for lunch two days in a row :) (I've always loved hibachi places and there's surprisingly not one in Washington DC, where I live.) I find the portion sizes to be fine, especially since you can get extra steamed rice on request for no charge.

'Ohana is good too, but totally different.

11. TinkerwithDis

TinkerwithDis Mouseketeer

Food at Ohana is not that great. Dry meat etc. and we even had an early adr. teppan edo food quality is much better. they cook everything fresh in front of you. love that! portions are more than enough, and i like to eat!

12. doclegler

doclegler DIS Veteran

Definitely 'Ohana. We make an ADR every trip! :thumbsup2 Great food and fun atmosphere. LOTS to eat too!

Teppan Edo just isn't for us....we tried it once and won't go back. We were not impressed with the food at all. None of our kids wanted to make a return trip.

13. JustCallMeMommy

JustCallMeMommy DIS Veteran

I would pick 'Ohana every time. We love the the food, atmosphere, etc. It is a "every trip" restaurant for us.

Teppan Edo is fine, but it is not nearly as good as our local Japanese steakhouses. The chefs don't use fire at the table, so there is only knife work and jokes to carry the table show.

14. MyOtherSS

MyOtherSS Mouseketeer

O'hana gets my vote and it's definitely worth trying if you've never been. Teppen Edo is great but it's still hibachi and I can get that in my home town. Either way I'm going to both in April!:lmao:

15. Carriesouthard

Carriesouthard Mouseketeer

Ohana....no question!

16. DonoMoose

DonoMoose Mouseketeer

Personally, I would take Ohana over almost any restaurant in Disney. Awesome food, they keep bringing it over to your table. We never visit without coming here at least once. Celebrating my 30th there soon :banana: