'Ohana review

Wow, this thread is shocking to me! Ohana is our favorite and we go each year. I go for the salad dressing and dessert alone! We have been lucky to never have bad service there. My only complaint is the hula lady who I find distracting, though it is great for the kids. Sorry to hear many don't like it, guess that means more room for us!

I agree with you. I have always loved the food here. The last server we had was great and the coconut races kept my little one really entertained! We are heading back to Ohana on December 5th and I for one can't wait!! :goodvibes

Wow, this thread is shocking to me! Ohana is our favorite and we go each year. I go for the salad dressing and dessert alone! We have been lucky to never have bad service there. My only complaint is the hula lady who I find distracting, though it is great for the kids. Sorry to hear many don't like it, guess that means more room for us!

I agree with you. We've gone for dinner every trip since '93. Some meals have been better than others in regard to food and/or service. I'm not a huge fan of the hula lady either, but I can understand other people liking her. I don't mind how fast the food comes out, though, as I don't eat everything. I'm not a huge fan of the meat (other than the shrimp), but mostly eat the pot stickers, noodles, and dessert.

I think we mainly eat here for nostalgia and because it's a place we can all have something we enjoy eating (even if it's not everything). It seems like when we go to buffets, we're all up from the table at different times so places like 'Ohana's are nice to have a larger selection of food brought directly to us.

We're planning on going with friends (total of 11 of us) in June or August 2014. The 9 friends have never been to Disney and are saving hard for a trip of a lifetime.

We've been telling them how great Ohana is and planned to book it as a special treat but after reading this thread I think we'll pass.

I now need to find another special meal that is as good as it was over the past few years for our trip. The group will be Nanna and Grandad (70 and 68), mum and dad plus 12 year old son and 8 year old daughter. mum and dad plus 5 year old son, and the two of us (DVC owners) - family friends (56 and 55).

Any suggestions please?

We're planning on going with friends (total of 11 of us) in June or August 2014. The 9 friends have never been to Disney and are saving hard for a trip of a lifetime.

We've been telling them how great Ohana is and planned to book it as a special treat but after reading this thread I think we'll pass.

I now need to find another special meal that is as good as it was over the past few years for our trip. The group will be Nanna and Grandad (70 and 68), mum and dad plus 12 year old son and 8 year old daughter. mum and dad plus 5 year old son, and the two of us (DVC owners) - family friends (56 and 55).

Any suggestions please?

Hmmm. Large group. Wide age range. Majority never been to WDW before. Looking for an iconic "special" meal. To me, all signs point to the refurbished California Grill, (assuming that they don't change the food and atmosphere in any material way). I could suggest places with better food. And I could suggest places that are more fun. But when looking for that special combination of food, fun, view and "only-in-WDW" feel, I always end up coming back to the California Grill. Toss in the fireworks from the roof, and it will be a night to remember for any first-time guest.

Now I take the opposite view. I was at O'Hana in September for breakfast and I really enjoyed it. Breakfast is a character experience and I didn't feel rushed at all. We had plenty of time to eat and wait as each of the characters stopped by our table for a visit. As for the quality of food, breakfast was delicious. DH and my in-laws loved the bread while I loved the Mickey waffles. My only complaint would be that the bacon was salty.

Hmm, now I'm wondering if I should scrap my 'Ohanna ressie and get one for Beirgarten.....thought on Beirgarten anyone?

We went last September (2011) and we had a good meal. It wasn't the best in Disney but I liked the flavors and variety. None of us enjoyed everything they brought out but we all loved something.

I personally enjoyed the salad, wings, shrimp, and chicken (or turkey - whichever they were serving then). I didn't care for the beef option or the bread (I hate coconut) and the noodles were just blah. The dips were good. Our food was a little rushed in that they put down the bread and salad and then the wings were there instantly and then the meat started coming right away. But I didn't feel like I had to eat fast like the waitress was pushing me. The waitress was average - not overly friendly but efficient. I would have given it a solid B. I can't really compare pricing because I was on the DP so it was a good value at 1 TS credit.

I'm not sure how it's going to be when we go in January but I'm still willing to give it another try.

My advice for those of you who have never been to 'Ohana but are willing to change your ADR to someplace else because of this thread is to read the reviews and search the Disboards for reviews of the place you are changing the reservation to and you'll find that there are people who hate that restaurant too. And for people on the DDP, 'Ohana is just 1 TS as opposed to CG, Citrico's and Narcoose's.

Look at places outside of the Disboards like Tripadvisor and Yelp as well when deciding your reservations.

Hmm, now I'm wondering if I should scrap my 'Ohanna ressie and get one for Beirgarten.....thought on Beirgarten anyone?

If I had to pick one for dinner, it would be Biergarten. But lots don't like that you have to possibly share tables with other park guests.

We were at Ohana a week ago today.

We had great service. The hostess who sat us was friendly and since it was my mom's first time explained how everything went. Our "cousins" were friendly and efficient. I have allergies and the chef I dealt with was great (other than he messed up my dessert and broke my heart)

Our only problem was that we waited a long time for shrimp and that was all DS wanted. There were only 3 left on the skewer so we gave them to DS, and they never brought more around. Oh, and the broccoli was crunchy but no one was going to eat it with all the other stuff around.

We're not foodies (as in California Grill and V&A is probably out for us), but we enjoy a decent filling meal, and everyone with us loved Ohana.

I NEVER said the service was bad, maybe others have. I said it is a shame that servers are now responsible for bussing as well as serving which certainly leads to uneven service, which has been reported. Our servers have always been friendly and at least adequate. The Polynesian bent is almost totally missing though for anyone who has been going for years.

The food is not great and never was, IMO, but it always was quite good, if you like this type of food (I do) and is still better than average.

Some people criticize venues over personal ideals. I try to be objective. I have always loved the overall dining experience but is now way, way below what it once was in every way. That said newbies or people new to 'Ohana over the last couple of years may still like it but please realize my opinion is based on years of patronage.

GreenCntryGirl said:
If I had to pick one for dinner, it would be Biergarten. But lots don't like that you have to possibly share tables with other park guests.

I agree, Biergarten is better. id gladly pick that place over ohana.

DVC Kelly said:
Now I take the opposite view. I was at O'Hana in September for breakfast and I really enjoyed it. Breakfast is a character experience and I didn't feel rushed at all. We had plenty of time to eat and wait as each of the characters stopped by our table for a visit. As for the quality of food, breakfast was delicious. DH and my in-laws loved the bread while I loved the Mickey waffles. My only complaint would be that the bacon was salty.
I thought this thread was about DINNER. Not breakfast. I hated the dinner but I loved the breakfast! Two totally different experiences. Given the choice id obviously pick the breakfast over dinner.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using DISBoards App

Our first visit to Ohana was last week. I wouldn't fight for a reservation but I liked it well enough. I though the pork chop was the best part. The shrimp had a smoky flavor that I didnt like. The chicken and steak were good. The noodles were dry and not good at all. I thought the service was great. All of the food came out right away and it was all hot and fresh but I didnt care for the desert. I would eat at Ohana again if there is a reservation available but I wouldnt be upset if we didnt get to eat there.

DW and I went to Ohana for the first time earlier this month. While we thought the food was good we had some issues. First off the pacing is terrible. Way too fast. I know others have mentioned this before and we were prepared and tried to slow them down but things still came out way too fast and we had to send back noodles/broccoli/wings/potstickers twice because they got cold before we even started on them. I think our servers got frustrated about us sending it back and requesting it later because when it was time for the skewers to come out, there never came over and we had to continually flag them down for them.

Second of all, we were seated on the "Race Track" where the kids did the coconut races. I got whacked in the shins twice by brooms and coconuts. We will probably give it another shot in the future but if things go the same way next time it will be our last.

Gonna be there next Wed for DH first time. I have hyped it up so much it will never live up to his expectation! :rotfl2: I have been twice w/o him and had a great meal. Service needs to slow down. IMO the courses came out too quickly but I guess they want that turnover! $$

Our family dined there a few years ago. It was just that once because my family asked that we not book it again. Our experience was colored by the fact we weren't seated until an hour after our ADR time. Of course, this can happen at any restaurant, but what made it really bad was the fact that there were a lot of empty un-bused tables that could be viewed from the waiting area. In addition, we were treated to a group of four CMs at the podium who did nothing for the entire hour except discuss their personal lives. The food was dry and we had to ask three times for the shrimp. It took a very long time to get the check and pay. Just not a pleasant experience!

We ate there 4 years ago for breakfast and LOVED it! I just booked an ADR for dinner and now I'm kind of nervous! Thinking maybe I should switch it. :confused3

We were first timers who ate at 'Ohana on 10/9/12. The food was satisfactory, except for the steak which was especially good, but we weren't expecting much beyond that. However, our two servers were fabulous. One was from Costa Rica, the other from Mexico. They couldn't have been more accomodating and friendly. We would definitely go back even though the food was so-so. We did leave full. The service from the bar was kinda slow but we don't blame the servers for that. Perhaps the bartenders were backed up as the lounge was full of people.

:worship:ohanas is always our must do every time we go. Great food and the last time we went for the leap year in February and just made it for the fireworks.

I have always enjoyed Ohana and loved the bread pudding and ice cream. I go again if I could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter