'Ohana Last Night (6/9/06)

Crazy Hakim

DIS Veteran
OK, so my daughter is getting married today, and ALL the girls are at the Beauty Salon getting their hair done, so I have a few minutes of peace and quiet to tell you about the Rehearsal Dinner we had last night at 'Ohana.
We were a party of 20, and we arrived almost 1-hour early (ADR for 7:15pm). We figured that that would be better, and anybody could get a cocktail before dinner if they please. Of course we were booked on multiple tables, so when we arrived we told the podium that we knew we were early, that everybody was here and we would wait to be seated. They were happy we were early, and gave us a light-blinking, vibrating, thing-a-magiggy.
We waited, and of course some drank.
Just a little past 7:15, we were called, and much to our delight we were seated at one of the LARGE Center Tables, all 20 of us.
Almost immediately, our server took the drink orders, while the runners placed the Fried Wontons and three dipping sauces on the table. (Peanut Sauce, Chimichurri Sauce & Harissa). We all liked the one that tasted like Italian Pesto sauce. The wontons are chip-like and not stuffed.
Then the mixed greens hit the table with a nice Honey-Lime Dressing.
Next Sweet & Sour Shrimp (peel & eat), and Honey Coriander Chicken Wings.
Wings are messy, be careful. But all is very good.
Here come the Skewers.....
First to arrive was the Hawaiian Pork Sausage with Pineapple-Teriyaki Glaze. Mine was a little cold, and really didn't have a strong flavor.
But, the Asian Barbecued Pork Loin was so good, I thought it was turkey! Very sweet tasting, and very tender. The Marinated Sirloin Steak was also very good and tender, but be careful, make sure you ask for well-done if you need it that way (I don't and I was very happy with a slightly pink center). Then the Mesquite Grilled Turkey. Hey let me tell you there was plenty for all to eat! Even I turned away some additional servings. Most of the guys in the wedding party were over the moon for all this food.
They also served Maui Scalloped Potatoes and Stir-Fried Vegetables. The potatoes were also VERY good and we could have used more.
If all this is not enough, time to open that second stomach cause here comes dessert...... 'Ohana Bread Pudding a la mode with Banana Foster Sauce. Are you kidding, just typing the words makes my mouth drool all over again!
OK, bottom line, yes the menu has changed over the years, no longer get the bread at the beginning of the meal, no longer get the Giant Grilled Prawns, but all in all for $25.99 (including Coffee, Tea and Soda) this is one heck of an enjoyable and filling meal.
Oh yeah, our cousin came out quite a few times to sing, hula, limbo and coconut race, but to my surprise very few of the other tables would reply with a hearty "ALOOOOOHA!"
I have dined at 'Ohanas since it first opened over 11 years ago, it is still a great place.
Only negative, drink refills were slow, and we had to tackle a runner to get some coffee.
Well, the clock is ticking, just 4 hours until the wedding ceremony. See you all later.

SOunds wonderful! Im so envious! My dream is to get married in WDW!!! and I just love Ohana!!! I would love to hear about the ceremony!!

Thank you for the wonderful review. It's nice to hear a good review of Ohana's for a change. We missed our ADR's last year at Ohana's because we ended up staying at Cocoa Beach too long on the day we had planned to go. This year I planned it early in the trip so we wouldn't miss it. I really hope that we enjoy it too. I love Ohana's and I will miss the large Prawns, wontons and pineapple, but I'm hoping we enjoy this just as much. I also really miss the salmon they used to serve. They serve so much food though that you don't miss out on eating!! I'm really excited to try the new potatoes, pineapple sausage and bread pudding.

Thanks again.

Thanx for the great review. We haven't been since the menu change. Glad to know it's still delicious--and plentiful!
Hope the wedding is magical! pixiedust:

What a great place for a rehersal dinner. Glad that everyone enjoyed it, we LOVE it there!

CONGRATULATIONS!!
:Pinkbounc
It must be exciting and little sad? for a dad.
How wonderful to have a reharsal dinner at Ohana and the wedding at WDW!!!

Thank you very much for the review.

Congrats HAKIM and to your daughter and wife, (my new best friend <G>)

There is a "mini gathering" of some of the disnoids from the old Prodigy board at O'hana's today!!!

DH and I are heading down next week and have ADRs at LTT and YSH!

BTW, my youngest DS is engaged and will be married 7/14/07 up here and honeymoon at BCVs.

Best wishes to your family!

pinnie

We are getrting married at the Wedding Pavilion 8/10/06 and having our wedding dinner at 'Ohana at 5pm. I'm very glad to see a good review for 'Ohana recently. We'll even be sitting at the big table for 20 people! I do have a question though, if I were to call 'Ohana do you think they may be able to have pineapple with skewers like they did in the past? I've never been to 'Ohana, but my fiance loves it and said the pineapple always used to ease her stomach.

Thanks for the great review. I hope the wedding is wonderful, and I wish your daughter all the happiness in the world. :) :love:

Congratulations to your family.

'Ohana sounds like it was a great choice for a rehearsal dinner.

Congratulations to your daughter, Mike!!! Thanks for the great review as well, we're looking at 'Ohana again on our next trip but I've heard some less-than-great things lately.

Steph

Firstly, thanks for the awesome review - Glad you enjoyed it - Also Congratulations to your daughter :wizard: Hope you are all having a fun time there - seems like you already are!! :grouphug:

My family (4 of us) spent a week at the Poly last month. We had 1 dinner at Ohana, and it was the worst meal of the week. The shrimp were overcooked, and sitting in way too much liquid. The potatoes were greasy and bland. There was some sort of lousy vegetable. The steak was tough and not very tasty, the turkey was overcooked, and the pork was fatty. The sausage was just ok, but had no taste. Plus, they brought out things in the wrong order (potatoes before salad, then salad, then meat). Restaurant wasn't crowded, so no excuse there. However, the salad was good.

By the way, we found the rest of the food at Disney to be very good. I had 3 dinners at Kona, 2 breakfasts at Kona, plus mutliple meals at Captain Cooks. We also had 2 dinners at GF, 1 lunch at GF, plus lunches at MK and Epcot.

Ohana was our first meal, and glad we got the bad one out of the way. I don't think I would go back for dinner-but I might go back for breakfast.

chemteacher03 said:
I do have a question though, if I were to call 'Ohana do you think they may be able to have pineapple with skewers like they did in the past?

I would call the restaurant directly, speak to a manager or assistant manager and ask. Disney is always so accommodating and I am sure that if they have these items available they will do their best to help you out. Or even ask if you could arrange for the special dessert thru private dining. Just ask, the answer is always "No" unless you do.

And let us know how it all pans out.

Thanks to all who took the time to offer your best wishes. Although the wedding reception was not on Disney property, we were very close by at the Radisson Celebration Resort on 192. We had a fantastic time, the food was great the party was a lot of fun. I just got back from taking the newlyweds to the airport.
Thanks everybody!

Crazy Hakim said:
Thanks to all who took the time to offer your best wishes. Although the wedding reception was not on Disney property, we were very close by at the Radisson Celebration Resort on 192. We had a fantastic time, the food was great the party was a lot of fun. I just got back from taking the newlyweds to the airport.
Thanks everybody!

Mike, glad to hear everything went so well. Do you feel like Steve Martin now? Seriously our eldest was married last summer and it still brings a smile to my face remembering the day. It is pretty special for the parents too isn't it?

Congratulations and thanks for the review.

Dh and myself are looking forward to trying Ohana at the end of July
;)

:dogdance:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter