O'hana is no longer on "the list"

We had a great meal at Ohana in December, and it is our one must do restaurant this October. I can see how people feel rushed, but when we weren't ready for the next course, we told our server we weren't ready and they had no problem coming back later. We were still eating our bowl of shrimp when they tried to give us the meat, and we said no to the meat but asked them to bring another bowl of shrimp. So we were able to take our time and enjoy it.

Interesting. My sister, DD7 and I had dinner at 'Ohana around Easter and the food was WONDERFUL! We had a seat right near the fire pit and Lipoa was so entertaining. Our food did come out quickly but our server (who was excellent by the way) explained that they did this so you could get a quick taste of everything and then decide what you would like more of. We decided pretty quickly that my daughter's favorite was the wings, we loved the ribs, chicken, shrimp, but wasn't keen on the sausage. Our server brought out more of our favorites.

The bread pudding was spectacular and we're not fans of bread pudding at all. Ate this along with some glow-tinis while watching Wishes.

Any restaurant can have an 'off' night but even though 'Ohana was packed to the gills with people, our meal was tasty and our server was very accomodating. :thumbsup2

We ate breakfast and dinner at Ohana during our trip the first 2 weeks of June and were not impressed. I read reviews prior to booking and was looking forward to some nice meals, but they didn't pan out. The service was lacking at both meals, but breakfast was the worst. Our dinner waitress was not very attentive and we felt rushed by the quick piling up of the food before we had a chance to really eat anything. Also, the meat was terrible. The turkey was o.k., but everything else was dry and had an overwhelming grill taste. The pork was like a hockey puck. The other items (shrimp, salad, bread pudding) were all very good, but not worth returning.

Breakfast was the worst service of our entire trip. We waited a long time to be seated. Our waitress was completely disorganized and ridiculously slow. She came to our table right away, introduced herself, then disappeared for 10 min. before we could even ask for coffee. When she finally came back with juice, we had to ask her for a fruit plate, which she brought over quickly. She asked us if we'd had any waffles. It was clear we hadn't had anything. She sent someone over with waffles, but then it was a total of 35 min. after seating that we finally got our platter. The character interaction was great and kept us entertained while we waited for our food, but the service was so poor and the food average, we won't go back.

I am alittle afraid to go there now. I had booked ADR's for Ohona for our last trip in 05 and ended up cancealing at the last minute as we were all just exhausted and opted to get something back at our resort instead.
Soon after arriving home we starting read about Ohona and everyone agreed we should have never cancealed and the next trip we are going for sure.
Now after reading all your comments I am not so sure.:confused3
I was also wondering if we do go I noticed on the menu they offer Burgers,chicken fingers and such for children as an alteritive, I was just wondering, I have a picky 13 & 14 year old and although in the eyes of Disney they are no longer children, do you think they would allow them to get burgers or chicken fingers too?:sad2:
Seriously though, should I try to get ressie's somewhere esle? There are 7 of us and all our dinners are for later in the evening when the parks close and I do not want to be rushed.:surfweb:
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks.

What about the breakfast? Anyone ate there lately and give bad reviews? DH and I wanna try it in Aug 2008. The dinner menu doesnt look appealing to us and we LOVE character meals and Stitch is one of my favs so we thought we would give this one a try.

Well, we actually also ate breakfast on our last trip! (O'hana really was one our favorite restaurants). We paid cash for breakfast and used the DDP for the dinner - but I did not see any difference in the service - our server was not very personable or attentive either time and DH and I were asked how old we were before they let us get coffee which was weird. (This was not in a joking "cousin" way either).

Both meals were packed with people. BUT - the breakfast food was quite good and there was not a rush since the characters have to have time to circulate and that takes awhile. We got refills on everything we asked for. Overall, breakfast was much, much better and closer to the O'hana we know and love. :thumbsup2

Don't cancel your ADR's. I'm a believer of trying something for yourself first before you decide you won't like it.

We had dinner at Ohana for the second time this past May. It wasn't as good as our first time there (both were since the menu change...so same menu both times). But the food wasn't awful by any stretch. We did feel rushed this time around....the food just kept coming and coming, and we had to keep rearranging the table instead of just relaxing and eating. When they came with the meats the first time, we just politely said "no thank you, not right now" and they came back later with them.

We've decided that although we didn't HATE the place, we've BTDT and don't feel the need to keep it on our list. But we'll probably go back again, just not on the next trip.

Marcy

Try it anyway. O'hana we were there in Feb and it was great. I hope u go. I ate so much (Belch) I get kinda sick just thinking about it. It was sooo good. 2nd time we went.

The breakfast was soso. We went there in Feb 06 and I was starving and all I ate was the bacon cause the waffles we hard and the eggs were cold. I hope it wa just the day..

We went in early May (dinner) and thoroughly enjoyed it. We thought the food was good and we had a wonderful server (Eleana). She was pleasant and organized and offered alternative selections for the girls before I even had a chance to ask. We have reservations for our November trip and I hope we don't catch it on a bad night.

We ate there for the first time this past January. We absolutely LOVED it!! Being able to see Wishes from our table was awesome.

We went to breakfast at 'Ohana in May, and it was wonderful. The food was delicious, and our waitress was friendly, funny, and efficient. There was plenty of food, and she brought more of what we liked. I raved about the pineapple bread, and she brought out more, and even was able to bring me the recipe. :goodvibes The character interaction was fantastic -- Experiment 626 is DH's favorite character, so this breakfast was a must do for us. We loved it and will DEFINITELY go back. :thumbsup2

Any restaurant or server can have an off day. Try it for yourself -- and certainly don't be afraid of any restaurant. Good heavens, if you've eaten at a hospital, a school cafeteria, or McDonald's, you can survive any dining experience at Disney :rotfl2:

For some reason this restaurant gets the best and worst reviews I've seen...Both ends of the spectrum! :headache:

It's on our family's must do's every trip. I personally have never had a bad meal at Ohana, but I could see how it is possible.

I don't like rushed service, but I do like to eat at a good pace. The last thing I want to do on our WDW vacation is sit in a restaurant waiting for food. To us, our time is too precious and valuable while at WDW. We are usually in and out of Ohana in 45 minutes to an hour and very satisfied! :) Our next move is usually hopping the monorail to the MK! :woohoo:

I've had parts of our meal overlap each other and I kind of like it. Appatizers come out, then after a while, meats get served. If you want more just ask. The dessert usually comes out just as we are finishing our meats. I think the feeling of being rushed is just part of the way the meal is served....Family style! I don't think the servers clock each table to pace the food. After a while I think they just lose track.

As for the food quality it just depends on who is cooking the food that night. You are going to have some cooks that are better than others. It's that way all across WDW restaurants. Some cooks believe in overcooking meat, while others may believe in using a lot of spice (salt & pepper). It's a cook's personal preference; and hopefully it matches your pallette.

Just my two cents!

What about the breakfast? Anyone ate there lately and give bad reviews? DH and I wanna try it in Aug 2008. The dinner menu doesnt look appealing to us and we LOVE character meals and Stitch is one of my favs so we thought we would give this one a try.

We REALLY enjoyed the breakfast. My favourite was the pineapple bread YUM! Everything else was good too,and good character interaction. Our kids really liked it too!

We had a disappointing meal last May as well. We were seated behind the wall area and felt really "out of the action" and the wall also caused our server to forget we were there for most of the meal!

I once *loved* 'Ohana!

I ate there three times with the old menu - wontons, green beans, shrimp, turkey and steak skewers, etc. and once with the one they've had for the past year or so. Although the dessert is delicious, the food is just cheaper quality, the service is rushed and 'Ohana, to us, is a shell of what is used to be. I hope it is restored to its former glory, but for now it is delisted for us, too. :guilty:

Okay, I will give it a great review. We ate at Ohanas on June 11th. It was our first time there and we loved it. We had cousin Chris as our waiter and he was very good. We did not feel rushed at all they spaced out bringing the different skewers which we liked them all but the steak, the Turkey was wonderful and I am not usually a Turkey eater. They were quick to ask for and bring seconds if we wanted them. To me it would be worth going back just for the desert it was fabulous. It will be on our must do next trip. The entertainment was just okay, it was a man but not a young man. He walked around and sang and then did a hula lesson and a couple of games with the kids and you got a lei if you participated. However, I would not go just for the entertainment value.

Just wondering about the seating and the ability to view Wishes. Are there just a few prime tables where you can see the fireworks well or can you see them from most places in the restaurant?

We have an ADR for dinner in December. We had one for our last visit and ended up cancelling due to reading a lot of bad reviews. This time I'm determined we're going to go and form our own opinion, which will hopefully be a positive one! Thanks!

I booked my ADR for the character b'fast @ Ohana's for our Dec. trip yesterday. What I read on the Disboards before today was awesome! Now, I'm not so sure. If the food is "okay" and the service and character interaction is great, then this family will be happy! :cool1: Is that what we can expect? :confused3

Ohana was a "must do" place for us, but we won't be going back. The last time we were there we were so rushed it made the entire night very unpleasant. The menu change was it for us - we LOVED the shrimp on the skewers! That was probably the best thing they had. The food is mediocre at best.:sad2:

'Ohana was my 1 TS dissapointment. We were rushed, even though I specifically requested that we be allowed to have a few mins (15) to enjoy each course. The meats were served cold. The sausage was really gross (to me, DH, and my girlfriend, so it wasnt just my pickiness) I told the server, as well as the hostess that it was my girlfriends birthday, and she got no special treatment of any kind (I was just hoping for a lei) And the bread pudding tasted like eggs. I litterally left this place in tears, as this, of all our dinners, was supposed to be special for my DGF:sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter