• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ohana, Is it overpriced garbage or the best meal?

We have had both experiences. The first few times we went we were seated promptly and the food was really good. The last time we went we had a 5:30 ADR and were never seated until 6:15. The food was extremely lacking for this meal. All of the meats were so overcooked and dry that they were really bad. We usually like this place but have not returned since that last experience. May sometime in the future we will try it again but not this next trip either - we will try some other place that we haven't been to. As with any restaurant, they all have their good days and their not so good days. You just have to decide for yourself if you want to try it. As always, most of the time when you read reviews you will hear all the bad things since that is what people like to post the most. If you haven't been before I would say give it a try.

Same here. We've been going to Ohana for years, and I still think the appetizers, bread, salad and dessert are outstanding. But for us, the meats have not been good lately and same with the service. The entertainment is really fun for little ones, but our pre-teens are not so thrilled about it anymore (although our pre-schooler still loves it!) As for the cost, this was a better value when we didn't have two "Disney adults," one of whom only eats the kids' items that they bring for our pre-schooler. But I understand many of the really good items are available at Kona, so we'll probably give that a try.

As others have said, if you haven't been there, try it! (Especially if you don't have Disney pre-teen "adults" in your party!)

While there are several restaurants in WDW I will never return to again, only one would I call garbage: ABC Commissary. Now that place is horrible, but that is for another thread. :lmao:

I give a big AMEN to that!

We have only visited Ohana once, and we thought is was great. We haven't been back, not because we disliked it but just because there was so many places to dine in WDW, just haven't made it back around to Ohana yet! But we will one day.

We visisted Ohana's for dinner once and found it charming with decent food. We visited again two years later and found it still fairly charming but the food was the problem. During the first visit, I found some of the proteins (cooked on the big roaring grill in the middle of the room) to be chewy. During the second visit they were all much more than chewy. Loved all the sides, though.

One particular gripe I have about the Ohana dinner is the amount of wasted food it generates. I really didn't like that, but I don't think it would bother most people.

I love Ohana, it's my favorite Disney dining experience. The food (esp. the shrimp and dessert are amazing).

We loved the breakfast with Lilo and Stitch at Ohana. The family style meal was great and my son's were thrilled with the ability to refill the plates over and over. We enjlyed the food, but we REALLY loved the character interaction included the congo line! We plan to go again when we return to WDW in December.

Ohana is a must do for our family. We have yet to have a bad experience there, but we usually have early ADRs (5-530 range)there. Does that make a difference? I dunno, but I figure I'd throw it out there.

We have been 'Ohana fans since 1998. We have never had a bad meal there.. And only once have we had bad service. Not bad in my opinion. Love both breakfast and dinner, but if we had to pick to do only one for our trip it would be breakfast. It's definitely a family favorite of ours.

As I am sure you have found, what one person likes, another will not.

We go to Ohana's every trip and always enjoy the food!

The first time we went it was very good. The second and third times it wasn't as good but was still pretty decent. The meal consisted of way too much meat for me. I'm not a big meat eater though.

We've been for breakfast 2 times. Both times were great. We had to wait about 20 minutes on the 2nd one. We are going to try it for Dinner when we stay at the Poly in November. (doing 2 days at the Poly, and 5 at BC! Yay!) We've had good for and great service both times.

We went to Ohana twice for the character breakfast (Mickey, Pluto, Lilo, Stitch) and once for the dinner. We also went to Spirit of Aloha.

The breakfast was amazing. Mostly ordinary breakfast food but cooked perfectly (eggs, breakfast meats, mickey waffles, etc.). A tropical juice and fresh fruit were delicious. But the best -- warm, moist cinnamon raisin bread and another pineapple coconut bread. The service and characters were great. Saw all 4 characters at least twice each time, some more. Characters showed my son how to give the Shaka surfing sign.

Dinner was delicious. Again, food was all delicious. Salad, wings, bread, skewered meats -- all good. I asked for the skewered steak more medium and out it came. The only issue was there was too much food that kept coming. I learned to let the server know I'm full already... and PLEASE save room for dessert -- the banana bread pudding was out of this world. My only regret was not scheduling a nap after this meal.....

We are returning for both in 2010!

Went to dinner there once due to raves on these boards. We won't go back. We thought the food was poor quality.

We do enjoy the character breakfast and will do that again.

I just got back from WDW yesterday. I had a GREAT week and stayed at the WL btw. We ate breakfast at O'hana's and it was very, very good. I also would LOVE to stay at the POLY one day. Very relaxing atmosphere and the food wow just wow

We love 'Ohana!! It's definitely a must-do for us each and every trip. As a matter of fact, we have dinner ADR's there twice during our upcoming 9 night stay and we're also doing the breakfast. Can't wait to go!! :thumbsup2

Carla

We love eating O'Hana!!! It has a great character breakfast. Dinner is wonderful. It is now a tradition that it is the last dinner we have on vacation. We all take "Hawaiian" shirts and love to sit back and enjoy a great view and meal. The food choices have changed over the last several years. But even with these changes, we leave full and happy. In the past we have gone to the beach to watch fireworks and/or the water parade. What a fantastic way to end our vacation.:lovestruc

We tried 'Ohana three times and it got worse each time. We won't go back. Each time the meat was dried out and the sides looked like they'd been sitting for awhile before brought to us. The wait staff was horrible the last two times. Just not worth the money. or time.

just a general comment, no flaming to poster;)...

if I had this crappy of a meal & service i'd certainly request speaking to mgmt @ the restaurant:confused3

i'd like to think the mgr would want to know about such an experience & continued feedback would help raise the bar.

I went to 'Ohana last June and had a great experience. I really enjoyed the food, ESPECIALLY the dessert! I enjoyed it so much that I have reservations there for my first night in WDW this coming June. I would give it a shot, like many others have noted, any restaurant is bound to have a bad night and for every good review there is a bad one. If you think you will enjoy the food and atmosphere, I'd say give it a shot!

We are in the "Never going back" group.

Ohana is this case doesn't mean "Family".....it means "dry, smokey meat that all tastes the same."
Add the soggy salad, gluey noodles and DRY dumplings. ick. :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter