'Ohana history

thorphin

DIS Veteran
We've been trying to figure out how long 'Ohana has been around and if my parents have been there or not. I can't seem to figure out when 'Ohana was added to the Polynesian or what it replaced. What do you say, WDW historians?

I remember when Kona was new too, but I can't place that date either.

O'hana used to be called the Papeete Bah Verandah. It was called that in my 1996 Unofficial Guide, then starting in 1997 they started calling the resturaunt O'hana. We ate at the Papeete Bay Verandah in 1987, so I know for a fact that it was around then! In 1999, according to Birnbaum, they renamed the Coral Isle Cafe as Kona.

Ohana opened April 12, 1995.

PP - its Bay, not Bah, unless you meant Bar and are from Boston. :)

Ohana opened April 12, 1995.

PP - its Bay, not Bah, unless you meant Bar and are from Boston. :)

Well I am from the Boston area, but my excuse really is bad typing that I didn't proof-read.

Well you've all given me some new facts I didn't know about - however you care to spell it! ;) Did the theming and cuisine change dramatically too?

Well you've all given me some new facts I didn't know about - however you care to spell it! ;) Did the theming and cuisine change dramatically too?

I agree! Love the mini history lesson. Anyone have pictures of how kona/ohana use to look?

Just took a walk down memory lane.... had dinner at Papeete Bay Verandah the night DH proposed (1989) & had a massive pregnancy craving for Coral Isle Cafe egg rolls (1994). Friends of ours were visitng WDW & DH had them get a take out order & bring them back to NJ for me (1994).

And remember the Tangaroa Terrace?

I've got some photos of PBV that I can put up, but I'm leaving on a Disney cruise tomorrow. They are not the best photos so hopefully someone else has some. Irronically I was just googling for some the other day and did not come up with much.

O'hana used to be called the Papeete Bah Verandah. It was called that in my 1996 Unofficial Guide, then starting in 1997 they started calling the resturaunt O'hana. We ate at the Papeete Bay Verandah in 1987, so I know for a fact that it was around then! In 1999, according to Birnbaum, they renamed the Coral Isle Cafe as Kona.

This sums it up nicely! Thank you! These were all years when we didn't go or have Birnbaums for.

I've got some photos of PBV that I can put up, but I'm leaving on a Disney cruise tomorrow. They are not the best photos so hopefully someone else has some. Irronically I was just googling for some the other day and did not come up with much.

Yay, cruise! Hope you had a good trip. Personally, I'd love to see photos of PBV, since, as you mention, it's hard to find them online.

Which one had a character breakfast with Mickey and Minnie? I think it's CIC. That was my first character meal at WDW :lovestruc.

We've eaten at where Ohana's is every trip since '93. I'll have to see if my parents have some pictures! :goodvibes

Which one had a character breakfast with Mickey and Minnie? I think it's CIC. That was my first character meal at WDW :lovestruc.

We've eaten at where Ohana's is every trip since '93. I'll have to see if my parents have some pictures! :goodvibes

The one with Minnie was Minnie's Menehune at O'hana (Papeete Bay Verandah at the time). When we ate there in 1987 (coincidently that was our first charactermeal also), it was a buffet and I remember the juice was delicious-it had pureed strawberries in it.

The one with Minnie was Minnie's Menehune at O'hana (Papeete Bay Verandah at the time). When we ate there in 1987 (coincidently that was our first charactermeal also), it was a buffet and I remember the juice was delicious-it had pureed strawberries in it.

Yes! I have the button that you got at the meal and that's what it says on it. Thanks! I have such great memories of our first trip and all of the places we ate (most of which have changed or closed).

I always say one of my best memories of Disney was the restaurant that eventually became Kona Cafe. We stayed @ the Poly in 1978 (I was 12) and I fell in love with something on the breakfast menu - it was canteloupe balls with coconut milk and flaked coconut -- I think I had it every day and made my mom buy the ingredients to make it after we got home (the seeds of my Disney obsession started here apparently). And we ate there for breakfast every day, I think -- I don't think there were even Priority Seating reservations at that time.

This is a really cute thread. I love WDW history. I don't remember eating at Poly as a kid, but I do remember Crystal Palace. It was a cafeteria and we would pick out items a la carte and then pay. I remember how beautiful it was with all the glass and flowers, no characters way back then. It was 1988.

I have a few photos from Papeete Bay Verandah I can post. But they're at my moms in our photo albums and I need to scan them...so I'll get them up when I can!

Here's a certificate they used to give attendees of the character breakfast at the Papeete Bay Verandah:

Minnie%27s+Menehune+Breakfast+Certificate.jpg

That meal was one of the earliest Disney attempts to take characters and attire them for a "sub theme" meal. It had all the classics (Mickey, Minnie, Goofy) dressed like they were going to a Luau. In addition to this certificate, each child also received a special button.

But things changed at night, when the restaurant became the swanky "hot spot" at the Poly, featuring a floor show. As the brochure copy below shows, you actually had to dress up to go to that meal.

472501c0.jpg

Ah, the good 'ole days....LIFE magazine cover from October 15, 1971:

yale-joel-disney-world-opens-october-15-1971.jpg

I think my family ate where 'Ohana is now back in 1980 or so. I cannot remember the name of the restaurant, but I can remember that I had the Mount Fuji salad. This is a clear indication of how my memory works. I was 9 at the time.

Great certificate from the Minnie breakfast. I now remember hearing the name of that breakfast, but I don't think I ever went. Thanks, too, for making the connection between Minnie's Menehune and the floor show. I knew the floor show existed, but I didn't know when in the history of the resort it was! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter