Oh the places We Go, The People We see

How cute are these cone cabanas by the pool?

This was like a character meet and greet. All these movie characters just right there and you could easily go up and get your picture with them.

I guess we were getting a little silly here.

Wow. When I saw some of those photos on Facebook, I thought you had a sneaky trip to Disneyland. They have done an amazing job with this area.

Corinna

I agree that the Cars area of Art of Animation is really well done. Like you said, it's like a character meet and greet without all of the lines to see them.

Love the updates, Jen.

Your photopass pictures at Epcot were great, and the last group had me :rotfl::rotfl:

We didn't spend a lot of time in the Cars area when we visited AOA (we spent most of our time over by the Little Mermaid), but we saw a little bit of it and they really did do a splendid job. Love how you got all the cars...very cool.

I agree that the Cars area of Art of Animation is really well done. Like you said, it's like a character meet and greet without all of the lines to see them.

It really is a hidden gem for those who don't tour resorts. I think all families with fans of the Cars movies should at least visit this area and take a look.

Love the updates, Jen.

Your photopass pictures at Epcot were great, and the last group had me :rotfl::rotfl:

We didn't spend a lot of time in the Cars area when we visited AOA (we spent most of our time over by the Little Mermaid), but we saw a little bit of it and they really did do a splendid job. Love how you got all the cars...very cool.

We really had a good time with that photographer. I wish they were all that fun.

I think nature was calling for Claire, so we headed over here to use the restroom.

I believe there was a laundry room in there as well. I am not sure why I didn’t take a picture of it.

Back out to check out the pool.

Time for a quick break, which lasted a nano-second.

And back out we went.

I think Claire was dancing away as we walked.

Oh wait Mom! I didn’t get my picture taken with him!

And back to the Nemo area to look around a bit.

Claire wanted to play on the little slide and tunnel, so I just stood around and took a few pictures while she ran around.

Claire was having a good ole time.

I finally told Claire we had to move on.

We then headed back to our room.

We had to stop and check out Rafiki and see that his butt surgery had been successful.

It was about 5:30 now and we decided it was time to go and get freshened up for our dinner ADR.

Great pictures around the Nemo area, Jen. We spent a lot of time in that section when we went to visit (Mark's favorite is Nemo).

Glad Clarie got to run around and have a little fun in the play area.

Great pictures around the Nemo area, Jen. We spent a lot of time in that section when we went to visit (Mark's favorite is Nemo).

Glad Clarie got to run around and have a little fun in the play area.

Thanks. It really is a great themed resort.

We spent about an hour in the room. We freshened up for dinner; Claire changed her clothes and went off to play a bit with her legos while I packed up most of our stuff. Sadly this trip was coming to an end and I wanted to have as much as I could packed and ready to go in the morning.

After that was done, we headed out to our dinner destination.

We were a bit early, so I made a stop in the arcade to take a look.

Claire obviously looks thrilled about that decision. LOL

And then we headed to the bus stop.

Our dinner tonight was the Spirit of Aloha. We have never done this show and I have heard mixed reviews on it. We decided since we were doing deluxe dining for this last segment of our trip, that we would give it a try. We bused to MK and then took the monorail over to the Poly.

I think we were still early, so we shopped a little bit and there were a few things I wanted, but in the end I couldn’t justify the price and we left empty handed.

We then made our way to check in.

A quick stop for a goofy picture.

While waiting in line, I realized that we never got a message about picking up tickets for the event. We always have gotten a call message in our room in the past for Hoop Dee Doo tickets and I never even gave it a 2nd thought about this one till we got in line.

No worries. They had our tickets at the booth and we were checked off without any issues. WE then had to wait a bit before we were let in. We received leas and walked a bit around the area, which was fairly crowded.

We did sit down in a small area after a bit to wait.

After a bit of waiting they finally were letting people in to be seated.

We were seated far off to one side and towards the back of the table. At first it looked like it was a decent seat, but as the night went on I realized this was an AWFUL spot.

Our first course was delivered right away.

Pineapple-Coconut Bread
Asian Apple Pear Slaw
Hawaiian Potato Salad

The bread was the same bread as ‘Ohana served, and we are not a fan of that. Of course we gave it a try again, but once again we just didn’t care for it. The only thing that I even slightly liked was the slaw. The rest was just not my thing. Claire did not eat any of it.
I don’t remember what Claire had to drink, but beer was included and I did have that and enjoyed a couple of glasses throughout the night.

This was the view of the stage. It doesn’t look too bad, does it?

The area we sat had a roof over it and was slightly enclosed. Most of the stage area was open air. These were venting panels to let in air.

The band got started and warmed us up a bit. Still the view looks good.

And then the performers came out and got started. I soon realized that my view was a side view and most of the action happened center stage, which was blocked by a pole for us.

On top of the pole blocking my view most of the night, there were some heads in my way. One couple in particular were constantly moving and in our way the whole night. I really got annoyed by the end of the evening.

The main course then was brought out.

Island Pork Loin
Roasted Chicken
Polynesian Rice
Fall Harvest Vegetable Medley

We gave it a try, but honestly we didn’t like anything. It was very similar to ‘Ohana’s food and it had sauces that we did not care for. We did not eat much at all. I think the chicken was the only thing we both ate without complaint. If I remember right, they did bring Claire out a hotdog. I shoud’ve asked for one as well.

More of the show.

I think they called up people who were celebrating something.

I will say this show really didn’t make much sense to me in the way of a storyline. It had some great parts, but it had some VERY slow parts as well. It had been a long 2 weeks and I was tired, so I was fighting sleep sitting there. Also the pole was in my way and I tried to take pictures, but many were just awful. And the couple whose heads kept getting in my way just annoyed me even more. Every time I had even a chance of getting a good shot, they moved and got in the way.
I will admit, I spent a good amount of time on my phone checking emails and reading facebook. It was REALLY fighting sleep and it was the only way to keep me from dozing off. Claire seemed to enjoy the show more than I, but even she wasn’t super impressed.

Then dessert came. It looks good, doesn’t it? Milk Chocolate Macadamia Nut Mousse.

Well there was one problem with it for me….the darn nuts in it. I can’t stand nuts in things. I like them plain or not at all (well except in chocolate and caramel). I ate part of the mousse, but I couldn’t get past the texture of the nuts in it. So I didn’t enjoy that either. Claire was given an option of the mousse or cake pops and she choose the cake pops.

I think I took a bite and wasn’t all that impressed with those either. But I am not a big fan of cake pops because they are so dry normally.

The show did get a little more exciting towards the end and I perked up for parts of it.

Jen, your luau food looks different than what we were served. I don't have the pictures in front of me but I don't remember it being the same as what you had. Whatever it was...we enjoyed it. :laughing:

Did you read anything about the luau before you went? The storyline is cheesy but we knew that before we went so it helped us understand better what was going on. By the way, it's funny how you perked up when those muscled up cuties were onstage. ;)

Jen, your luau food looks different than what we were served. I don't have the pictures in front of me but I don't remember it being the same as what you had. Whatever it was...we enjoyed it. :laughing:

Did you read anything about the luau before you went? The storyline is cheesy but we knew that before we went so it helped us understand better what was going on. By the way, it's funny how you perked up when those muscled up cuties were onstage. ;)

Someone else told me my food looked different too. I was just not impressed at all. But I am sure if I had gone earlier in the trip that would've made a difference too. Yes, the muscle guys....I mean the things they were doing, was interesting. :rotfl:

One of the guests was called up to the stage to dance. I honestly don’t remember how she was chosen, except perhaps it was a birthday or something along those lines.

The fire guy was pretty interesting to watch.

This picture would’ve been great….if the heads weren’t blocking half of the guy out.

The show started to wind down then.

Soooo…. My thoughts on Spirit of Aloha. It was by far the worst meal I have ever eaten at Disney World. It was just not our taste at all. I also feel that if I had gone to this show earlier in the trip, I probably would’ve have enjoyed it more. But at this point I was running on very little sleep and it was slow in spots and I had to fight to stay awake. I think if I was more rested and excited about the trip beginning, I would have a better appreciation of the show. The actors were great, don’t get me wrong, but at times their just was not enough action to keep my attention.
Where you sit can make or break the experience as well. We had awful seats. The pole was always in the way and if I could see something, others in front moved their heads and that blocked my view as well. I enjoy taking pictures and when I can’t do it, it kind of puts a damper on my mood. There were times I just set the camera down and that is not like me at all.
I am not sure if we will ever give it another try. For one, I would have to ask about a different menu as this was just not for us at all. Secondly, taking the chance of seating ……. if I got horrid seats again, I don’t know if I could sit through it again. It does seem a bit on the long side as well. If Claire wants to go again, I may think about it, but only if Skip is with us as well. I think we have enough “other” places and things to try that it this will be down low on the list of going back to.

After the show ended, Claire had to use the restroom, which of course they only have one small one. We actually waited a while to let the place empty out a bit and then went and got in line for the bathroom, which was still fairly long.

After that we slowly made our way back to the Poly. It was pretty empty at this point in the show area and we saw some of the cast members walking around and talking. Once we got back into the Poly we headed to the monorail. During the show I had been talking with another Dis friend on facebook who had just arrived and we wanted to meet up before I left. She was at the Magic Kingdom, so we decided to head over there and meet her while we had the chance.

Thanks for the Aloha review.

We almost went to this two years ago, but I read some reviews and after that decided not to book it.

Your review just sealed it for me. I don't think we would like any of that food either. And it would make me positively bananas to get stuck with a restricted view of the show. Not worth the money to take that risk. I'd rather eat at a really nice restaurant, where I know we like the food....no show needed.

What a great last day. I love all the photos of the details of AoA! We walked around there quite a bit too, but you got WAY more pics. ;)

We have never been to Spirit of Aloha, so your review was very interesting. I loved all the photos, even if your spot was not a prime one.
I just don't think it would be for us. But great to see it through you! :thumbsup2

Since this trip is coming to a close ..... when is the next one? Is there a PTR coming? :cool1:

That resort really looks amazing. Graham went to have a look around last year, but was not too impressed. I won't have time to check it out on my upcoming visit, but this will go on the to do list for the future.

What a shame that you did not enjoy the show or the food. I have to admit I have never had the wish to do one of the Disney dinner shows.

Corinna

Love your pictures of AOA! My kids would love to stay there. How neat you got to try out different resorts.

That's too bad about the Aloha show. We took a big family trip when I was in Jr. High and stayed at the Poly. I have great memories of that show. I remembered they got my Grandpa up on stage and it was hilarious. Sounds like it's gone down hill since then. Of course that was 20 years ago.:laughing:

Great pictures of the arcade and around AOA again. We've never done any of the dinner shows...even when the kids were little...and haven't really had a desrie to do so. After you review, I think we'll stick to not going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter