Oh no, quarantined!

In a small defense of the "lie about illness" poster - when boarding a cruise ship you really have to distinguish between sick and ill. I mean, my kids will get the sniffles and say "I'm sick" but they aren't .. Not really. If I'd send them to school I'd certainly take them on a cruise. I'd hate for them to say the word "sick" while checking in and lose the cruise for something that *might* turn into a sinus infection but likely will resolve in a few days with 1/2 a box of tissues. KWIM?

Always pack Imodium A-D and wash your hands!

:thumbsup2 Last January, they used the prior cruise pic of myself and DD13. I hope they do that again..I was much skinnier then. Now that I think about it, they did ask each of us if we had been sick..right there at the counter. I wouldn't even think about coaching my daughter. :scared: She's got one heck of mouth on her own.

Wow seriously? Who comes and checks? The room steward? I'm glad that they do this but how awkward for him...

They do send someone to check on you, along with calling the room periodically to make sure you are still in your room.

They ask if you have been sick when you check in, do not answer yes. You will not go. Do not says you have a little cold, rehearse with your children. They have to go to counter to have picture taken. If you leave ship and come back your picture is checked in computer coming and going.

Agree that I hope you are not on a cruise with us. You would be responsible for spreading whatever illness you have to many people and ruining their vacation for selfish reasons. Lollipop mom's trip wasn't that long ago and her DD was so ill that she ended up spending the week basically in a resort and going to the doctor for IV fluid. I couldn't believe the people who told her to just go to the port anyway. Thankfully she did the right thing -- both for others on the cruise as well as her DD.

If the person has travel insurance, she will get reimbursed for the number of days she was quarantined. Make sure she has clear documentation of this from the ship's doctor to turn into the company for a claim.

To the OP, so sorry your mom got quarantined! That must be such a disappointment. I hope she's on the mend and out and about very soon.

Wow. Seriously?

First off, the doctor visits are a set fee. It's not that expensive. I believe it's something like $150 for the visit plus medication costs.

My DD was in the medical center for one hour and was given IV fluids. It cost us $1012. I don't consider that not expensive. Nothing on the bill was $150.

Get RX before you go, wait till they get bill for Dr. Visit. That may end cruising.
Had patches and several medications that require RX with me.

They ask if you have been sick when you check in, do not answer yes. You will not go. Do not says you have a little cold, rehearse with your children. They have to go to counter to have picture taken. If you leave ship and come back your picture is checked in computer coming and going.

People like you are the reason we probably won't cruise DCL anymore. Sailed twice, sick twice. Other lines, never sick. Don't coach up your sick kids to lie and infect everyone else on the ship! Plus, what the heck kind of doctor do you go to that gives you a bunch of RX drugs before a vacation on the off chance you might need them? There's way too much wrong with this story!

People like you are the reason we probably won't cruise DCL anymore. Sailed twice, sick twice. Other lines, never sick. Don't coach up your sick kids to lie and infect everyone else on the ship! Plus, what the heck kind of doctor do you go to that gives you a bunch of RX drugs before a vacation on the off chance you might need them? There's way too much wrong with this story!

I am not defending the poster who suggested lying and hiding illness. At all.
However, we have Rx drugs, including antibiotics, with instructions as to when they are to be given. This includes diarrhea, although our instructions say we need to see blood or a few other specific indications. This was from a travel medicine clinic for a trip that included some areas where we were at risk of catching diseases that have symptoms including diarrhea. Honestly, I bring the meds and instructions wherever we go on vacation now, just in case.
DS2 threw up in a cruise ship pool a couple of years ago because he ate, swam and swallowed a bunch of water. He wasn't contagious, he had a quiet afternoon in the cabin and a few snacks before we had him back in contact with the general cruise population. I don't consider that irresponsible to other passengers, rather one of the things that happens when you travel with small children.
In the OP's situation, I too would try a few home remedies before going to the ship doctor, but I also wouldn't hesitate to divulge to the ship's medical authorities that we may have a communicable disease.

They are incredibly nice to you if you get quarantined. DS had a headache after we went ATVing in Canada before our Alaska cruise. His big head required him to wear a helmet that must have been to heavy for him. He was like a bobble head doll too b/c he was looking all around.

At the lifeboat drill, when you're smashed together I realized he was burning up. Off to the doc whose not supposed to see patients until they leave port. Fever + headache + neck ache = possible meningitis.

They examined him thoroughly listened to us carefully. Next they brought in a the other doc to do a separate exam. First doc said, I won't tell him anything b/c I want an untainted 2nd opinion. Luckily 2nd doc agreed it was probably not meningitis but said he would have to confined to the room until the fever was gone. He also said he was in contact w/ the captain. If he got worse we would have to leave at the 1st port or possibly go by chopper. It was our choice to stay. Since he had been quite the bobble head on the ATV, we were confident it was just a virus.

I stayed w/ him while DH went to dinner w/ older DS. At dinner, the table was speculating on why the ship left 30 min late. DH said, "uh....that was our fault." We later found out they asked the captain to hold the ship, while they were deciding whether to ask us to leave the ship.

Our head server brought up one of everything from the menu!!! What a welcome. DS ate like crazy-- another indication that my gut was right & he wasn't too sick. Guest Services called to see if my son needed anything & if he was getting bored. They said to call if he was fetting too bored & they'd send some stuff from the OL to entertain him. We had a balcony, so he didn't mind. Doc called in the evening & the morning, but never once did I feel like they were watching us.

I am not defending the poster who suggested lying and hiding illness. At all.
However, we have Rx drugs, including antibiotics, with instructions as to when they are to be given. This includes diarrhea, although our instructions say we need to see blood or a few other specific indications. This was from a travel medicine clinic for a trip that included some areas where we were at risk of catching diseases that have symptoms including diarrhea. Honestly, I bring the meds and instructions wherever we go on vacation now, just in case.
DS2 threw up in a cruise ship pool a couple of years ago because he ate, swam and swallowed a bunch of water. He wasn't contagious, he had a quiet afternoon in the cabin and a few snacks before we had him back in contact with the general cruise population. I don't consider that irresponsible to other passengers, rather one of the things that happens when you travel with small children.
In the OP's situation, I too would try a few home remedies before going to the ship doctor, but I also wouldn't hesitate to divulge to the ship's medical authorities that we may have a communicable disease.

I agree with you. You can be careful without doctors orders.

My DS went into a patch of poison ivy right before our trip. He looked horrible and since it was close to time to leave we let the doctor drug it out of him. He still looked bad so our doctor wrote a note to inform the ships doctor that he was NOT contagious and safe to travel. The drugs had kicked in before we made it to port so he looked well enough we were never questioned. Since he has done this to our last couple of vacations we are leaving as soon as school is out and he is stuck inside playing on video games or he can play in the poison ivy free street! ( cul de sac )

ilovetexas said:
People like you are the reason we probably won't cruise DCL anymore. Sailed twice, sick twice.

While I agree that lying on the health form is not a good idea, two cruises is not a pattern, only a statistical anomaly. We have sailed on DCL three times and have yet to get sick.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

ITA that they are quite good to you when you are quarantined. While if you do have a stomach virus, you aren't really that interested in eating, DS has been confined to the room twice for 24 hours. The first time was strep throat and the second time was pink eye. The first time someone came to the stateroom with a DVD player within minutes of us returning from the medical center. They gave us a list of movies he could request. The second time we got a list of movies that could be received in the room by contacting the number provided I recall. We also received that night's menu so we could order from the MDR. They checked to see if there was anything else he would like a few times during the day.

Please please please be honest about your health when boarding the ship! someone in my extended family was less than truthful about an upset stomach...they coached their daughter...turns out it was a bug and an awful one at that! Over the coarse of a 3 night cruise, it was passed to my 1 year old son and then myself and we weren't even in the same room with them. I missed Palos, an entire day at sea, couldn't begin to tell you if i got everything out of my room....and i don't believe my parents when they say we stayed at Saratoga springs the following days don't remember it at all...i was THAT sick! So please be courteous to fellow passengers. I will be adding trip insurance for sure on our upcoming cruise.

Yes please don't lie. Someone brought illness onto our Mexican wonder cruise last march and I got it. It was terrible. 3 days of chills, fever, bad cold,left me in bed in the cabin. Then of course my daughter got ill before we left feb 9, and not only for her own good, but I wouldn't bring it on board! We are rebooked for April 27th. Hoping for a healthy vaca!

Few thoughts on this post.

First as a Pediatrician I cringe when I hear about Drs giving patients antibiotics "just in case". There is no one antibiotic that would cover every possible bacterial illness and if you take for a viral illness it's useless. So unless you have recurrent issues or are going on a very long cruise (TA or B2B) then not a good idea (and for the long ones only because of cost if you are prone to illnesses like ear infections, etc,). As for prescription anti-diarrhea meds - remember they have side effects and Lomotil has atropine which can affect your heart. Again, unless you have specific issues not a good idea. I also cringe about even the thought of people lying about being sick to get onboard. A minor sniffle is no big deal but a major issue like gastroenteritis or a bad cold with fever can spread like wildfire in a setting like a cruise ship. Please don't do that to other passengers. That being said, I certainly agree with bringing OTC meds for minor issues or food induced diarrhea. If you aren't used to eating a lot, the constant food available on a cruise can certainly wreck havoc with your tummy. Not a contagious issue but of course if you go to the ship Dr they have to quarantine you just in case. Most food borne issues will resolve quickly.

Second as a patient it really concerns me that there are some who would disregard public health just so they can not miss out on cruise activities. I'm finishing chemo for colorectal cancer in March (we're going on our first DCL cruise in late April to celebrate) and had radiation for it a few years ago. Meaning diarrhea is somewhat "normal" for me BUT if I pick up a stomach virus that would just make life miserable for most people, it could easily put me in the hospital. I'm very cautious about hand hygiene but nothing is 100% safe. Like me I'm sure there are others cruising with health issues or the babies on the ship that a "simple" virus can really be a serious issue. We're all paying a lot of money for our cruise vacation and no one wants it ruined by illness, but please think of others too.

So for the OP, I hope your mom is feeling better and thank her for following the rules. And for the poster who suggested kids lie about being sick...encouraging kids to lie is never a good idea. The ends don't justify the means. Perhaps your intent was just to advise people to bring meds in case of minor issues such as food intolerance; but disregarding the public health rules is never a good idea.

Yes please don't lie. Someone brought illness onto our Mexican wonder cruise last march and I got it. It was terrible. 3 days of chills, fever, bad cold,left me in bed in the cabin. Then of course my daughter got ill before we left feb 9, and not only for her own good, but I wouldn't bring it on board! We are rebooked for April 27th. Hoping for a healthy vaca!

I am so glad to hear you were able to rebook! How is she feeling these days, now that you guys are home?

I have a related question and some of you who have been there might know the answer -

Is it DCL policy to automatically quarantine somebody who is throwing up? I ask because my DS7 has a condition that makes him throw up fairly frequently (well it's frequent to me - probably at least once every week and sometimes more often). It is not an illness (it has to do with some gastrointestinal reflex) and he is otherwise a normal healthy kid. But, if they ask if anyone has vomited when we get on the boat the answer might very well be, "yes" (and I won't coach him to lie).

Should I bring some sort of note from my Ped. explaining what's going on? Will they accept that as proof that he's not communicable?

April

aprilchem said:
I have a related question and some of you who have been there might know the answer -

Is it DCL policy to automatically quarantine somebody who is throwing up? I ask because my DS7 has a condition that makes him throw up fairly frequently (well it's frequent to me - probably at least once every week and sometimes more often). It is not an illness (it has to do with some gastrointestinal reflex) and he is otherwise a normal healthy kid. But, if they ask if anyone has vomited when we get on the boat the answer might very well be, "yes" (and I won't coach him to lie).

Should I bring some sort of note from my Ped. explaining what's going on? Will they accept that as proof that he's not communicable?

April

So funny...I had the same question. Mine has abdominal migraines which causes throwing up. I also wondered about people who are just seasick?

So funny...I had the same question. Mine has abdominal migraines which causes throwing up. I also wondered about people who are just seasick?
Me too! My DS had a migraine that kept him out of school yesterday, vomiting and all. He usually has the migraine a couple of hours, throws up a few times, and feels better hours later. I have a feeling most health professionals would understand but want to quarantine "just in case"...as long as he doesn't get one right before we get on we should be good : )

If there is a medical condition, I would definitely bring backup. DD got seasick one day on our 7th cruise. The pools were closed and we were dealing with 20+ foot swells. I think maybe it is starting to affect her as she gets older. She had no fever, and no other symptoms. When I went to the medical center to ask if they had anything to give kids for seasickness they didn't even bat an eye. So, if the conditions are a bit rough and many are getting seasick, they aren't going to quarantine them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter