Oh It's A Jolly Holiday With Katie! - Beach Club / Grand Floridian

Day 5
(September 6th 2014)

Two Worlds, One Family!
Part 5 – Do you wanna build a snowman?

We left Animal Kingdom and got back to the Beach Club at around 5pm.

And it POURED!

19725716611_0d81720aeb_b.jpg

We had a 6:30pm ADR at Mama Melrose in Hollywood Studios, so at 5:45pm, we donned our ponchos and headed out into the rain.

19100204753_8d15249acf_c.jpg

Edit: I HATED this cheap, sticky, sweat-inducing poncho, which is why I look so repulsed.
Jamie, on the other hand, seems to think he's Superman or something.

We walked out to the boat dock, but they had stopped running the boats because there was lightning nearby. Instead, they had added Hollywood Studios buses to run from the Beach Club.

We were cutting it a little fine with our ADR now, but thankfully the rain had subsided by the time we reached the park, so we power-walked over to Mama Melrose.

While we were waiting to be seated we noticed a new addition to the wall of fame...

19533059658_1c202b5d9d_b.jpg

We were seated pretty quickly, and were shown to a quiet table in the corner, which was nice.

19721103455_3621b9b41b_b.jpg

We had our priorities in order tonight.

The first thing we did was order a Magical Star cocktail!!

We never want to risk losing our passports, but we always had our driver’s licenses with us.
Unfortunately, the waiter didn’t recognise our UK licenses as a legit form of ID…
He was nice about it though, and he gave us each a piece of paper and a pen to write down the other one’s date of birth while he held our IDs.

Jamie turned to me with a terrified look on his face!

He knew I wouldn’t be very impressed if he got my birthday wrong!

Fortunately, we both passed, and were given our cocktails!

The Magical Star cocktail is described as ‘X-fusion organic mango and passion fruit liqueur, parrot bay coconut rum, pineapple juice, and a souvenir multi-coloured glow cube.”

It was delicious!

19694827786_785937ca19_b.jpg

19532970968_27ef4c28f2_b.jpg

It didn’t taste very alcoholic, so it slipped down a little too easily :rotfl:

The changing colours also attracted a lot of attention from the kids nearby!

Sorry parents if your children were asking for cocktails after seeing ours!

19098515324_495f2b2d20_b.jpg

We got some tomato garlic mussels as an appetiser to share, which were tasty!

Then for our entrees, I got the chicken parmesan:

19533074620_77e78f67ce_b.jpg

And Jamie got the strip steak.

(He said he needed to restore his manliness after asking the waiter for a ‘Magical Star cocktail’)

:rotfl:

19713908982_7d6d9fc170_b.jpg

The chicken parmesan was really good! It was a simple meal, but I’m not normally too adventurous with food anyway so I really enjoyed it. The chicken was cooked really nicely.

Jamie enjoyed his steak too, but after eating at the Yachtsman Steakhouse the night before, it obviously didn’t really compare. He said there was a little too much fat on it, but it was still good. It came with macaroni cheese too, which is always a bonus!

We were really full after all this food, and we wanted to let our stomachs settle before hitting up Tower of Terror.

We had a look in the Muppets store across from Mama Melrose.
Jamie does a REALLY good Beaker face.
I really wanted a photo of him doing it whilst wearing this hat, but I was laughing at him so much he turned it into a normal pouty-sad face before the camera captured it.

19721084185_0f8be9b9e6_c.jpg

It’s definitely on my to-do list for our trip this year!

We left the store to walk over to the animation class, but some Frozen madness had started, and the walkways around Star Tours and Commissary Lane were all closed off, which was weird.

So we walked up the Streets of America to go the back way through Pixar Place.

I just love the name of this stall.

19098494034_069fb06f3b_b.jpg

We eventually made it around to Animation Courtyard and to The Magic of Disney Animation building.

I really like the animation class, AND you get a fun, free souvenir out of it!

We had to vote on who we wanted to draw out of Jiminy Cricket, Prince Naveen and Jack Skellington.
Jamie and I both voted for Prince Naveen because the Princess and the Frog is one of my favourites, but Jiminy won, which I was happy with too. He’s a cutie.

Here’s mine:

19534406799_04cab0cef2_c.jpg

And here’s Jamie’s:

19100119533_1942588001_c.jpg

I think we both did pretty good!
(Although mine is better, right?!?!?!)

At this point we felt like our food had settled nicely, so we walked over to Tower of Terror.

19713879602_22d323d066_b.jpg

Since I was mildly infuriated when re-living our ride experience from yesterday, I forgot to share a Tower of Terror story from 2012..

As I mentioned, that trip was Jamie’s first time ever visiting Walt Disney World (!) so he really didn’t know much about anything.
On our arrival day we headed straight to Hollywood Studios, and straight down Sunset Boulevard to do Tower of Terror.
At this point, I have no idea what is going on in Jamie’s head, I guess he was just in a Disney-daze, taking in his surroundings..

WELL.

We get on the ride and go through the whole twilight zone ordeal.
But as the elevator starts to shake, Jamie seems a little concerned and is saying, “What’s going on?!?!”

Then when we DROPPED,

HE WAS ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIED.

He had NO idea that it was supposed to happen!!!

Of course, he quickly realised it was part of the ride, but when it finished he asked,

“DID YOU KNOW THAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN???!”

Apparently, right up until we dropped, he thought it was just a Haunted Mansion style ride..!!!

I was laughing so hard.

I have no idea as to how he completely ignored the screams as we walked down Sunset Boulevard!

What a goofball.

19098455164_5f31c13551_b.jpg

Anyway, we got there and it was a walk-on!

AT 8:30PM ON A SATURDAY NIGHT.

Life is so good.

As you can see from the photo, we had a great group of people who all got really into it.

It’s a shame I got a hand in front of my face though!

19694807546_3924ef7cfa_b.jpg

We left the Tower and headed over to Star Tours.

19721046575_d3f69a7b27_c.jpg

On the way over, Jamie spotted this Guardians of the Galaxy t-shirt that he just HAD to have!

19694818536_e9b39d9b90_c.jpg

19533017460_faf39a3425_c.jpg

Cutie!

He paid for his t-shirt and we continued over to Star Tours.

When we got there, there was a HUGE queue…

JOKES.

19100145013_602d828c0b_b.jpg

As always, Jamie REALLY wanted to be the Rebel Spy..

19725664371_c025af0b08_b.jpg

There were only four other people in our ship this time.
Jamie was keeping his head up and facing forward for them to grab a picture of him…
But they chose the guy sat in front of us.

Boooooo. :sad:

We came out of Star Tours at around 9:15pm, and the park was closing at 9:30pm.

We wanted to do Tower of Terror one more time before heading home, so we walked around Echo Lake on the Hollywood and Vine side. We came out onto Hollywood Boulevard and the whole place was RAMMED with people watching the Frozen fireworks.

It looked like it was going to be a struggle to get over to Sunset Boulevard so we watched the fireworks for a little bit. It was a really cute show to a bunch of Frozen songs.

19694874726_b4a00864b7_b.jpg

We then decided to head back to the friendship boats to avoid the post-firework craziness.

We walked through the Mickey’s of Hollywood store to get to the exit.
A few other people were doing the same thing, so Jamie and I got split up briefly.
No biggie, he was a few people ahead of me but I kept an eye on him so we didn’t get lost.

However Jamie hadn’t realised that I was no longer right behind him.

I saw him start turning his head to look at me, and, not realising I wasn’t right there, he was singing

“Do you wanna build a snowmaaaan!?!”

…until he locked eyes with THE RANDOM WOMAN BEHIND HIM.

I was cracking up so much.

He is SO goofy.

We walked out of Hollywood Studios with the fireworks behind us, and walked to the boat dock singing the duet from Love is an Open Door (!)

We got back to the Beach Club at 9:45pm.

19713894952_668c5d8755_b.jpg

We paid a quick visit to Beach Club Marketplace because we were going to get some sweet treats from Goofy’s Candy Company at Downtown Disney tomorrow night, so more milk was definitely necessary.

I saw this really cute pin, I kinda regret not buying it.

19721010505_1f9de8590e_c.jpg

Then we headed back to the room.

Before we fell asleep, we shared our favourite moments of the day.

Mine was Finding Nemo the Musical.

Jamie’s was the cow.

*End of Day 5*

Click for Day 6, Part 1!

Last edited:
Day 6
(September 7th 2014)

There’s no use in grumbling when raindrops come tumbling!
Part 1 – The Land

Good morning!

We both woke up at around 8:20am this morning and we planned to take the walk over to Epcot, but we got a little distracted…

20576487526_45e0f5faf3_b.jpg

The Princess and the Frog was on TV!!
I love this film! Ray is my all-time favourite Disney character :lovestruc
So we lounged around and watched it in the room for a while.

We eventually made it over to Epcot at 10am.
World Showcase doesn’t usually open until 11am, but when you’re entering from International Gateway you can walk through it to get to Future World.

It makes for a pretty, empty picture!

19980165114_ffacc9cae5_b.jpg

You guys, I just could not deal with the crowds today.

20416058879_6ce0fa5fc7_b.jpg

CHAOS!!!!

We stopped for a couple of photopass pictures, and you could actually be convinced that we had the park to ourselves! This wasn’t Extra Magic Hours or even rope drop, it was around 10:15am on a Sunday!

19980179454_1678d8280e_c.jpg

19980190504_7395968885_c.jpg

We headed over to Test Track, and concluded that this was where everyone was hanging out.
But we still only queued for about 20 minutes. :thumbsup2

20593718052_a039b50579_b.jpg

I need this little car!

20609346311_2ae3a3caff_b.jpg

We had to work as a team on our car design, which completely goes against our natural competitive instincts.. :rotfl:

Luckily we agreed to be totally focussed on ‘power’.
I mean, come on, this is Test Track, nobody cares about capability, responsiveness or efficiency.

Power is the only one worth bragging about!!

Guess which one of us designed this pink sparkly car..?!

19980163794_028959f49e_b.jpg

Good job I did too, because WE WON!!!!

(Sure, the other team didn’t scan their Magic Band so we were the only car on the scoreboard.. BUT STILL.)

20416083319_1c8b965648_b.jpg

20414766660_8fc80f83f1_b.jpg

On the way out we played around on the design screens.

I made this guy.

20602726925_9e27f7b1dd_b.jpg

And here’s Jamie’s.

20593716832_65fa189690_b.jpg

And another one of mine.

20416056629_c761dd3d78_b.jpg

These are so fun!!

Some people were sat in the model cars on the other side of the room, so I enthusiastically skipped over to an empty car, pulled the door handle, and it was LOCKED.

So I just had to sheepishly walk away.. *facepalm* :sad2:

We left Test Track and the humidity outside hit us like a sauna, so on our way over to Soarin’, we stopped by Club Cool for some free refreshments!

20576489536_e9f8a7448c_b.jpg

I always take a liking to Japan’s VegitaBeta.
And of course, we both tortured ourselves by seeing who could drink as much of the dreaded BEVERLY (Italy) as possible!
We both gave up before it had barely touched our lips!

It is truly HORRIBLE.

At around 11:20am we went over to The Land pavilion to use our 11:00 – 12:00 fastpasses at Soarin’!

20593755422_516a78986f_b.jpg

I love everything about Soarin’.
I love the Patrick Warburton pre-show.
I love the views of California.
I love the soundtrack.
I love the smell of oranges.
I love the guy who falls down the ski slope.

It just makes me so happy.

I also love being on the front / highest row, but unfortunately this time that wasn’t meant to be.

It was kind of amusing though, because the guy sat directly in front of Jamie stowed his bag in the netting under his seat, but liquid was LEAKING from it onto the ground.

We tried to get a Cast Members attention, but it was too late..

As their row began to rise up above us, Jamie thought he was going to get soaked by this guys drink, and he was FREAKING out !!!

I was teasing him saying “Uh-oh.. Hopefully it’s just water….”

So he kept saying, “What if it’s orange juice?? WHAT IF IT’S ORANGE JUICE??!?!?

I was laughing so much.

Thankfully he didn’t get wet. :thumbsup2

20602725715_20e7bc2e47_b.jpg

(The lower four balloons here are supposed to represent the four seasons!)

19980161834_5fae976bdf_b.jpg

Since we were right beside it, we decided to do Living with the Land!

20602725055_ef1dd3ab15_b.jpg

Jamie finds this interesting, but he does not understand why I get so excited about it. And to be honest, neither do I.

I JUST LOVE EVERYTHING AT DISNEY.

We got the front row, wooo! :woohoo:

20416055129_733453cfef_b.jpg

If you’re looking to escape the heat and humidity, this is NOT the attraction for you..

It is literally a GREENHOUSE in the middle of Orlando Florida.

BUT IT’S JUST SO GOOD.

20602724615_17554c7476_b.jpg

20593714602_d4d1d06285_b.jpg

20414801498_79ac133986_b.jpg

Hidden Mickey!

20609399951_32a741d8c4_b.jpg

19981912933_c30029737e_b.jpg

The Land pavilion is so pretty.

20602723605_e6841d4013_b.jpg

We admired the view for a minute, then realised that we had bigger fish to fry…

So we left The Land, and headed to,

THE SEAS!

(Note: No literal fish-frying occurred. No animals were harmed during the making of this trip report.)

:fish:

Click for Day 6, Part 2!

Last edited:
I really liked Finding Nemo - I hope to see it again on this upcoming trip! (And I had no idea that the Lopez duo wrote those songs - no wonder I like them!)

My sister ADORES that Mickey Ice Cream Sandwich. I have a feeling several of those will be purchased in May... :rolleyes1

Yes, indeed, that is Coronado Springs! I think the view from Everest shows how HUGE that darn resort is! :p

"... until his front legs fell off."

:lmao::rotfl::lmao:

I seriously died laughing EVERY time I read that section. You are hilarious. :thumbsup2

Also, "Ha! THEY HAVE A FUNNY WAY OF SHOWING IT." :rotfl2: I'm afraid the bugs are just not your friends! :rolleyes:

I'm glad you made it to your dinner despite the crazy rain! I also love your pictures from the animation class - they look great!

Jamie's first experience on the Tower of Terror is HILARIOUS! :laughing: Poor guy! I'm glad he likes it now!

Also, I bet Jamie's face must've looked like this after his Frozen-singing moment: :eek: Love it! :lmao:

That is so awesome you and Jamie had the park to yourselves! Also, the whole liquid incident on Soarin' made me start laughing!! That is too great, I probably won't be able to look at orange juice the same way !!:rotfl2:

Raining... In September? Who knew? :headache:

:rotfl2: Your poncho selfie. Seriously... DYING!!!

Oh Jamie. Dear sweet Jamie. Kind of avoided a potential disaster there with the Birthday quiz. But what an odd quiz it was. I do know they instituted a rule a short whie back requiring passports as the only acceptable form of ID. And not that I need it, but, like you, I have no desire to carry my passport around.

Haha, having glowing drinks is a dangerous thing.

Very cool selection of characters at the Animation Academy. I definitely would have voted for Jack. But wow, your drawings look remarkably alike.. but yes, your's is better. :)

Ooooh Club Cool, where all the cool kids hang out. I am all in for free drinks. But as I will mention in a future update, I am really unhappy that the Magical Express video gives away the Beverly story. Why Disney... WHY???????

Katie, I can't even with you two. You guys are so stinkin' cute! I love reading about your exchanges. Ordering steak to negate the fruity drink and freaking out over the OJ, so funny! :lmao:

I always feel like you're writing your TR just for me since I'm planning so many of the same things. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Mama Melrose since we're having the Fantasmic! package there. I'm kind of a snob about Italian food since it's so good here so I was apprehensive. You have calmed my fears. :goodvibes

That's a strange way to verify your IDs. Then again, it's been ages since I was carded so I have no idea what they do now.:confused3

I actually kinda liked Beverly when I tried it last trip. :confused:

Oh, I love the Land ride. I'm going to look into doing the tour. I think I just like to live vicariously through people who can grow plants for food. :rotfl:

I'm joining in a bit late here. Loving your trip report so far!! I've decided after reading the first few pages that I definitely want to stay at the Beach Club too on my next trip!

I've been lurking...but decided to delurk to tell you how much I'm enjoying your trip report. You and Jamie are just too cute and I love how much fun you had on your trip!

I love getting pictures of a nearly empty park! Your photo of the Fountain of Nations is GREAT! :thumbsup2

I'm really excited about getting a few rides on Test Track this time! It was still very "new" when we went in 2013 and the lines were insane. I love your sparkly vehicles!

SOARIN'! I don't think it's my top Disney ride, but it's right up there. I love the soundtrack, the smells, and the feeling of floating. :cloud9:

Ooooh Club Cool, where all the cool kids hang out. I am all in for free drinks. But as I will mention in a future update, I am really unhappy that the Magical Express video gives away the Beverly story. Why Disney... WHY???????

Seriously?! The more I hear about this new Magical Express video, the less and less excited I am to see it! >:(

Alllllllllllllrighty here goes! You two are my new favorite TR on the DIS! I don't even know where to start...

tumblr_n71qzwUsHG1smcbm7o1_400.gif

I just tuned in today and read it all in a few sittings. I'm going to try not to be this late in the game and bombard you with comments or questions on the older posts. Like all the others, your style of writing the TR's is great! I can relate SO much. Especially with your love for GIF's, Harry potter, Disney, and apparently CHEESEBURGERS :thumbsup2 .

You guys are eeeeeerily similar to my DGF and I! However I am the passionate DIS obsessed and my GF loves it but not quite as much the WDW side of it. (I had an identical "This Cow Is Awesome" moment once last year so I LOL'd at Jamie and his cow... :teeth: Love the humor AND Step Brothers fun! We are staying at Beach Club next January too and can't wait. Your pics and stories helped a bunch. (IMPRESSIVE photography skills!)

Keep up the GREAT work! Looking forward to the rest of your TR's.

Last edited:
I am pretty much THE WORST at keeping up with commenting on TRs, but tend to be super good on FB and IG so hopefully that makes up for it!! :) I did completely LOL (like, embarrassingly loudly at work) at

…until he locked eyes with THE RANDOM WOMAN BEHIND HIM."

I mean, all you can do at that point is own it and start dancing with her or something. You've already embarrassed yourself, might as well go for the gold! :rotfl:

Also, “What if it’s orange juice?? WHAT IF IT’S ORANGE JUICE??!?!?

Well, sir, at least the orange scent would be super authentic. :rotfl:

This had me cracking up as well! I just love your trip report - so fun to read!

I forgot to ask - what were the dates of your trip? Sorry if I missed it in a post. It looks like sometime in September? We are aiming for a Sept. trip to avoid the crowds. It looks like you had the parks to yourselves almost on many of the days!

BAHAHA I love Olaf in the Wall of Fame. He is in fact a legend.

The chicken parm looks delicious and the cocktails are beautiful!

Hahaha I own that Beaker hat!!

Your Jiminy pictures are adorable, but I would have voted for Naveen too! I had no idea he was even an option!

I love the sparkly car!!

My wife and I love Living with the Land. We went on the ride twice in the space of an hour. Who knew fruits and veggies could be so entertaining.

You looked thrilled that you have to wear a poncho!:rotfl2:

Now i've never heard about that method of getting DOB's off ID's before. Thank goodness he remembered your bday! TBH, it takes me a sec to remember DH's. His bday and our anniversary are days apart so I have to remember which one's which for a sec.

Just love those glow cubes. We have accumulated a few over the years and every once in a while when I make us a drink at home, i'll pop one of them in our drinks. So fun!

NO! I must see this Beaker face! Please do not forget to capture it on your next trip!:banana:

Jiminy Crickets, you draw a great Jiminiy :rotfl:

OMGOSH Jamie must have been peeing his pants the first time on ToT!

Aw, I just love Ray too. DH and I were both so sad when he got stepped on at the end. :sad2:

What is going on with this lack of crowds?! So lucky!

I love that your efficienty is 7!!! That's gotta be the lowest you can go:lmao:

I've always seen the globes but never payed attention to what was on them. Thanks for pointing that out!

ETA: I went back to your intro to see your exact dates that you went but can't find them. Would you mind telling me your dates so I can attempt to visit during this time of no crowds?!:flower3:

Last edited:
Oh my goodness your TR has me in stitches! :rotfl2:

That had me laughing so hard my fiance looked over from his video game at me like I was crazy. Ya'll are too cute!

Oops, got a few updates to catch up on! (Aka: Marie's about to make an obnoxious long list of comments)

I love Finding Nemo The Musical. It's so nice to watch and has so many catchy songs and it makes me emotional every single time. Not as much as Festival of the Lion King, but almost.

I think the main advantage of using a FP+ for shows is just that you can get relatively good seating with generally first pick without having to line up for too long beforehand. I mean, you may get good seats either way - but would you rather wait 30 minutes for those, or show up 5 minutes before your FP time opens up and then go right in?

Not to mention, Animal Kingdom doesn't have that many things that are in dire need of FP, especially during low season.

Love those pictures of the show, though! And I swear to goodness, in all three times we've seen this show (November 2012, October 2013 and May 2014), the actor playing Marlin has always been the same, and it's the same guy on your picture too. Clearly he loves his contract.

BAD DINOSAURS. (Sorry, I have a thing).

My wife is such a fan of those ice cream sandwiches, but somehow I've never had one. I don't know why. There's just too many great snack options at Disney!

Those are awesome Everest pictures! I love the view of Epcot and the resorts in the distance - goodness Coronado is so huge!

Eeek bug attack again. For real though, I can't squish bugs in Animal Kingdom. Even in every day life I feel bad when I do as a reflex (except mosquitoes, I am ruthless with those), but in Animal Kingdom, I'm like... I can't kill a bug, I'll probably get kicked out.

The only thing I appreciate more than the fact that there's a petting zoo at Walt Disney World is the fact that they named it the Affection Section. How precious can you get.

Immediate FP is yet another advantage of the FP+ system. I know it's got its downside (lack of spontaneity and so on), but really, I think by now the good outweights the bad.

September rain! Ugh. So miserable. Thankfully it wasn't too long lasting in your case. But I totally get you on poncho feels. We had cheap ones and they felt horrible. We ended up caving and bought Disney ones in September because it rained pretty much every single day, pretty relentlessly at times, and I was just not having it with the cheap ones anymore.

Love Mama Melrose! Hate that they ask for passports as valid IDs. Who wants to walk around their passports, seriously? Story time on that, my mom's coworker went on a cruise and lost her passport in St Marteen. When they got back to the States, they were charged a fine of USD 600.00 EACH for being illegally on US territory without passports. So I think moral of the story is, if I get refused a drink with my driver's license, I'll suck it up and get a smoothie. That would be one expensive cocktail.

But I did have that drink and it is pretty good! I love Mama Melrose. My wife's in love with their steak. But then, we haven't been to the Yachtman's Steakhouse.

I am legit dying of laughter over that Tower of Terror story. And singing Do You Wanna Build a Snowman to a stranger, for that matter. Lord would I have gotten murdered if I'd dared take my wife on this ride without her knowing what was going on and then something like this happening.

No judging on staying in to watch Princess and the Frog. It's such a great and underrated movie.

That's a pretty awesome wait for Test Track! Building the cars is pretty awesome, too. They also have awesome photo ops around once you exit the ride, we went a bit crazy on those in May.

Soarin' is my happy place. I just feel so content and at peace and joyful on it. Meanwhile, my wife clings to my hand and contemplates jumping off as she just wants to get back to solid ground and that would be the fastest way to do so. Clearly we have differing opinions on how often we should do this ride in a trip.

Living with the Land is one of my favorite Epcot attractions. I love going through the greenhouse - the Behind the Seeds tour must be pretty neat, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter