Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness, all right! 3D Dessert Discovery (11/2) - Complete

Artist Point

During our drive down, I used the mobile site to figure out our dining plans for the evening. My husband mentioned to me he really wants halibut or crab legs. Well he didn't want a buffet. Fulton's didn't have any openings until about 9:50pm. So looking at allears, we discovered they had just updated the menu for Artist Point from their last visit in October 2011. They had halibut! Sweet! We booked it for 7:40pm and thought we were golden.

Flash forward to 7:30pm - we check in and they stated they are sitting table close to reservation times and it should only be a few minutes.

xo63f.jpg

A little before 8, we are seated and greeted by our waiter. He takes our drink order & food order and walks away. They didn't have halibut for my husband but it happens as sometimes menu change.

15 minutes later, we get our waters and bread.

VBOAd.jpg

10 minutes later, he cleans up the bread, the bread plates and silverware for appetizers.

We assumed that meant our entrees were coming soon.

30 minutes later, they finally came.

yUOwU.jpg

Roasted Pork Tenderloin - with sweet corn pudding, caramelized figs, piquillo pepper relish, and serrano ham crisp

My husband said it was eh. The best part of it was the serrano ham crisp.

zKBvv.jpg

Grilled Swordfish w/ Lobster Mushroom Hash & Meyer Lemon Emulsion

I really like swordfish generally when I get it at other places around our home. This well wasn't good. There was very little seasoning to the fish. Part of it could have been because I was just annoyed it took so long.

Our waitor never came and checked on the meal. Since service was so slow - I just pulled out our room charge and he just took it when he cleared the table as we told him we weren't going to do dessert. (Why would we - we didn't want to be there for another hour)

I think I lost it in a delirious laughter when I saw the check.
s4EXM.jpg

Apparently they really did just switch out the halibut for the swordfish (or couldn't get it from a supplier)

We realize part of the reason our service was so slow was because our server was also in charge of a 20 person party next to us and an 8 person party. This is the restaurant's fault for giving the waiter another table with having that large of parties to deal with. I know I should have talk to the manager but frankly, I just didn't have it in me today.

Cafe Rix​

After our dinner, we returned to the hotel. We needed to pick up my husband's items I forgot at home. I decided to go into Cafe Rix and see if anything sweet caught our eyes.

Both my husband and I picked up a slice of cake.

My husband's choice
tv7u1.jpg

He devoured it in about a minute flat after I took that picture. I think he liked it.

I went with the cookies & cream cake.

tJOwf.jpg

It was really good.

Both of the cakes were only 3.99 each. We thought that was a good deal for the size they were!

Sorry the trip got off to a bad start. :guilty: I hope they will replace the TIW card and not make you buy another.

I had a mixed experience at AP...my entree was really lacking, but I had a wonderful app, dessert, and service.
That was really a huge screw up on the management and/or seater's part to give your server a huge party plus other tables. Not an acceptable practice in any restaurant. But I understand about not even wanting to bother complaining.

Tomorrow will be a new day so the rest of trip should go well!

I had the same pork dish at AP and was equally underwhelmed. We had our best meal ever at AP in 2009 but were very disappointed this past trip. Hopefully this isn't a trend.

Also hoping today is a better day for you!

Sorry the trip got off to a bad start. :guilty: I hope they will replace the TIW card and not make you buy another.

I had a mixed experience at AP...my entree was really lacking, but I had a wonderful app, dessert, and service.
That was really a huge screw up on the management and/or seater's part to give your server a huge party plus other tables. Not an acceptable practice in any restaurant. But I understand about not even wanting to bother complaining.

Tomorrow will be a new day so the rest of trip should go well!
They made me pay $50 to replace it. I should have gotten a new one instead but I wasn't thinking.

At least today is going better!

I'm sorry you had such a rough start. I hope it gets better! :)

I had the same pork dish at AP and was equally underwhelmed. We had our best meal ever at AP in 2009 but were very disappointed this past trip. Hopefully this isn't a trend.

Also hoping today is a better day for you!
My husband and I ate here in 2008 and had a bad time too. I ate here in May with a friend of mine and it was great! Seems mixed to me :/. Hopefully the next time you get to go its amazing!

Cafe Rix​

Breakfast this morning was at Cafe Rix. We thought it would be quick and easy before heading to Animal Kingdom where I got to talk with Guest Services and my husband purchase his ticket.

He went with the Bacon, Egg & Cheese Croissant
7jfIy.jpg

He said it was ok. He didn't like that the cheese was folded within the egg.

Nothing really caught my eye & I really wanted a cupcake I had seen in the Disney Food Blog at Ak so I just went with a plain Croissant.
ULCdW.jpg

It was alright.

We headed to Animal Kingdom.

Well - the bakery wasn't selling their cupcakes yet so no Cottontop Tamarin Cupcake for me.

I did find someone celebrating F&W at Animal Kingdom thought...
ujsqu.jpg

We were quickly done with AK. We realized we didn't want to stick around for our Yak & Yeti reservation and decided to head somewhere else.

Beaches and Cream

After Animal Kingdom, we debated on where we would be headed - Hollywood Studios or EPCOT. I decided to put off deciding & lets each lunch at Beaches & Cream since he had never been and its between the two places!

We got there right after 11AM & were immediately seated at one of the round tables.

I went for a Vanilla Ice Cream Soda.
M475U.jpg

Amazing! I loved it.

My husband went for a Root Beer Float.
4mz1y.jpg

He loves them & it had been over a year since he last had a float so he was happy.

As for meals, my husband went for the Cheeseburger.
QaCXW.jpg

He liked how the bun didn't immediately fall apart like the last burger he had at Disney did. :rotfl:

I went for the All Beef Hot Dog - Add Cheese and Add Bacon
aDyeS.jpg

I think I found something that competes with what I get from Five Guys on rare occasion. It filled me up to the point where I didn't really touch my fries.

We will return there as all our food was great!

Food & Wine Booths​

After our lunch, we decided to head to EPCOT to walk off our lunch and see if there was anything we really wanted to wait in crazy Saturday lines for.

We had now been on vacation for almost a full day & still hadn't had any alcohol. I wanted to fix that! I was going to stop by France but the line was insane so we skipped that.

Our next stop was Belgium.

We selected the Godiva Iced Coffee & the Truffles
GGms1.jpg

We liked the truffles for the price (only $1.75) and I enjoyed my coffee.

My husband got excited by the Mimosa in Morocco and he wanted to have that.
oyy4T.jpg

He enjoyed it. Hopefully, the more he has stuff like that, the more he'll branch into other wines.

Next on our stop was the Fife & Drum stand in America. I wanted my Jim Beam Red Stag Frozen Lemonade.
bTpMH.jpg

Loved the non-frozen version last year & love the frozen version this year!

Our last booth we visited was the Cheese Booth.

I went for the Cheese Fondue.
KyKTf.jpg

I really enjoyed it. I know its swiss cheese/white wine based so I can see why some people might not like it but it was perfect for me.

I had wanted to go visit the Ditch and get some tequila but the pavilion was insanely overpacked. We fought the crowds out of the World Showcase - we visited Club Cool to get some samples. Well, China was out completely. I was also shocked by another drink that was out.
RB8MD.jpg

I guess people enjoyed playing pranks on their friends a bit too much.

After visiting Figment & Captain EO, I was about done with the crowds and we headed back to the resort.

Subbing. We are going in 10 days for F&W so I am excited to see more pics.:)

We are also going in Jan. for our anniversary and making a special meal out of AP. I hope the svc and food improve. Dbf is looking forward to the buffalo, and I am looking forward to the mushroom soup.

I am on the front end of your food review! Yayyy meee!!!! Looking forward to reading all your reviews!:cool1:

Subbing. We are going in 10 days for F&W so I am excited to see more pics.:)

We are also going in Jan. for our anniversary and making a special meal out of AP. I hope the svc and food improve. Dbf is looking forward to the buffalo, and I am looking forward to the mushroom soup.

You're going to have so much fun during your F&W trip.

I had the buffalo back in May and loved it! I wasn't in the mood for red meat last night that I didn't go that route.

I am on the front end of your food review! Yayyy meee!!!! Looking forward to reading all your reviews!:cool1:

Thanks for joining in! I have way more in store for the week. Hopefully I can keep on top of them all so it will be completed quickly.

Shula's

After relaxing in the room and by the pool (since the maid didn't come to clean our room until about 3:45pm), it eventually became time for our dinner at Shula's. We hop in the car and drive down and discover there is a sign - Dolphin Self Parking Full with an attendant there telling people to turn around. I told him why we are here and he's telling me to go to valet. I look at him and say, if I do that, the valet isn't getting a tip as I have no cash on me at this moment. With that, he let me attempt to find a spot in their very very overcrowded lot. I lucked out and as we were going down the first row, a car was pulling out so yay!

As we were walking towards the front entrance, we were amazed at how overpacked it was. There were cars pulled up on sidewalks. Cars on both side of the drop off area in the front. Literally everywhere there could possibly be a car, there was. It made me really happy I didn't take that room at the Dolphin as if I had to deal with that with coming back to my hotel after dinner, I might have thrown a fit.

We checked in for dinner and were quickly seated in the back at a cozy table for 2.

Our waiter was quick in greeting us (in fact before we could even decide on what cocktails we would want) and we were given a few minutes to look that over.

He did his presentation of the meat & we placed our orders.

For the beverages, I went with a glass of wine while my husband went with the Pineapple Mojito.
6VdOz.jpg

Our freshly baked bread arrived quickly.
5qsea.jpg

I seriously love their bread - it was very fresh out of the oven hot.

For our appetizers, my husband went with the Caesar Salad.
UgBQW.jpg

He declared it one of the best caesar's he has had including the croutons.

I went another route for my choice - BBQ Basil Wrapped Shrimp
BI5Ic.jpg

Its jumbo shrimp wrapped in basil wrapped in bacon with a wonderful bbq sauce with a bit of a kick to it. I don't know how you can go wrong with that! It also is rather heavy hitting on the stomach so that influenced my entree selection.

For my entree, I just had a bowl of French Onion Soup.
5HpTr.jpg

So good! The amount of cheese to onion to bread ratio is just right for me.

My husband well had to get steak in a steak place. He selected the 16 ounce New York Strip.
k0bRS.jpg

Seeing as he didn't leave a piece of meat on the plate, I'll say he loved it.

We went with the completely overdone in many nicer restaurants, Chocolate Lava Cake.
PtJoB.jpg

It really is great here, especially with their sauce on the top. Both my husband and I couldn't even finish it though as we were so full from our earlier selections.

Our servers were on top of things and overall it was a wonderful meal.

Upon leaving the Dolphin, well, we had an unpleasant experience. The self parking exit well wouldn't open. It wouldn't take our tickets. It took about 4 separate tries to get someone on the assistance button to not hang up. He didn't seem to believe his system isn't working on either side and there was a huge traffic issue going on. The man in the truck on the other exit got out of his truck and talked to him also as he never was able to get someone to answer either! Eventually someone from valet ran down and got them to work, but if you know you are having issues - put someone there full time.

Loved your review of Shula's, we are headed there on Wed.

Going to be in Epcot tomorrow, will look for you there!

Yes the resorts are slamming, we are at the BWI and there is no self parking right now, its all valet, same thing at GF

Enjoying your review. Thanks for posting.
Thanks for joining in!

Loved your review of Shula's, we are headed there on Wed.

Going to be in Epcot tomorrow, will look for you there!

Yes the resorts are slamming, we are at the BWI and there is no self parking right now, its all valet, same thing at GF

I know you are going to love it on Wednesday, provided Todd doesn't try to change your mind.

We'll be on the look out for you too tomorrow. I think we will be there until at least 2pm unless we decide to stay until after our flying fish reservation since parking is such an issue. I'm thinking between the PGA thing, the democratic convention and other things it's packing up all the resorts.

Thank you for posting pics from Shula's! :goodvibes They're the first I've ever seen. We really have to try it sometime, as the Swolphin restaurants definitely seem like a collection of gems (we recently tried Bluezoo and had some excellent courses).

So sorry that Artist Point was a disappointment. We had some excellent meals there over the summer, but we never tried the pork, halibut, or swordfish. Sounds like that pork dish needs to leave the menu quickly. And the service issues had to compound the issues with the food. :sad2:

Looking forward to reading more of your reviews!

I think these were the first photos I've ever seen of the food in Shula's.

I love a good onion soup...might have to try eating there sometime!

Thank you for posting pics from Shula's! :goodvibes They're the first I've ever seen. We really have to try it sometime, as the Swolphin restaurants definitely seem like a collection of gems (we recently tried Bluezoo and had some excellent courses).

So sorry that Artist Point was a disappointment. We had some excellent meals there over the summer, but we never tried the pork, halibut, or swordfish. Sounds like that pork dish needs to leave the menu quickly. And the service issues had to compound the issues with the food. :sad2:

Looking forward to reading more of your reviews!

I really do like most of the meals I have had a the swolphn. We will probably give bluezoo a shoot again in a few years.

Your reviews also helped put AP back on the map for us but it happens. At least the rest of the trip has only been going up!

I think these were the first photos I've ever seen of the food in Shula's.

I love a good onion soup...might have to try eating there sometime!

And I took them without flash too, as the atmosphere there definately is the type of place i wouldnt use flash at. Before the trip, I purchased a 50mm/1.4 fl lens for my camera and with the pictures I'm getting from it, it was so worth the money. Granted I'm switching between using the nice camera and my cell phone pictures (for the f&w booths)

Thank you for your review of Shula's. We are thinking of going for our trip in Sept. and this is making decisions even harder. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter