Oh Florida! An East Meets West Girl's TR: 8/9 p56 & 8/17 p57

Always great pictures of the GF. Hooray for the GFC, yes we had a great meal there. The walk over to the Poly is nice after dinner. You got some nice evening shots from your walk.

Hi Ladies! I'm all caught up now. Love the wedding pics. Probably a little staged, like Cynthia said- but then again the bride probably rented that area for her dessert party to have just the perfect pics.

Looks like a great day at Epcot, which the Rita's added to. Loved the GF pics, too.

Thanks for sharing your other travel pics, Mary Ellen. It's always fun to see where you travel.

Mean people stink up forums for sure. I don't ever join any conversations anywhere except here and passporter. People are just so rude and hostile everywhere else. Just ugly.

Love reading your trip reports and I do hope you continue despite the stupidity of others. I hope everything offensive was removed.

We are a DVC family as well and our points are slim Pickens for this year but would love to buy more asap!

Great update and fantastic pics, especially those of the GF! You've been to 3 of the GF restaurants so now you've got to talk Denny into the grande dame of all WDW restaurants - V&A!! We are on a waitlist to stay at VGF during our December trip but I doubt it will come through. We happen to be at WDW the day VGF opened and took the DVC tour. It was fantastic!!! Since it has the fewest rooms of the DVC resorts at WDW, it is unlikely that we will ever stay there since it is not our home resort. I guess that means we have to look at adding on? :scratchin

Glad you like all the pics!

Denny told me we can go to V&A for our 80th anniversary. :rotfl2:

At least I got him to go to Palo on the Dream. Hey - its a start!

As far as the VGF - I couldn't even get Christmas and I own there. It was crazy. So I decided not to waitlist and just stay there in February, but 4 nights used up all my points. :faint:

Oh, I'm sure you do. I think I see you posting on nearly every one I follow, plus some that I just peek at. :rotfl: Who knows, though - I think we are both clearly following far too many. :faint:

You think? :rotfl2: I don't feel like I am following too many, I just feel like I don't have time to follow the ones I do. OK - THAT makes sense. :faint:

I love this! It actually makes the Grand Flo seem more appealing to me. It's like a 1930's movie now and I expect to see Clark Gable descending the staircase! :lovestruc

It's a really beautiful resort. I think I am more comfortable at the villas because its so much more intimate. If you ever have the opportunity to stay there, all I can say is DO IT! It's lovely!

Thanks for all the pictures, especially of the Poly - miss that place, we didn't even make it over there last trip. :sad1:

I know what you mean. I love the Poly, too and its a resort I still haven't stayed at. I am sure I will eventually find my way there. ::yes::

Starting to get caught back up...

Welcome back - I didn't know you were that far behind!!!! And Welcome back for the boys trip! I know you had a great time!

EPCOT Rocks... MEK
Love that you had an enjoyable meal at Beaches & Cream in spite of the fire alarm. At least it wasn't at midnight like the one we had last year at the Beach Club.

:rotfl2:I know, right? That was so annoying in the middle of the day. I can't imagine it being woken up by that in the middle of the night. :faint:

Speaking of B&C- one of my not so deep secrets is that I have never had a meal or ice cream there. Breakfast once, when they were testing a quick service, but that doesn't count. Monday morning, I finally made a reservation for one, on my arrival day on the August gals trip. And I will be cancelling that because we are all going to Blue Zoo instead. Someday...

Really? I did NOT know that? Somehow that seems very wrong. So, I never did figure out when your girls trip is but I suspect we don't overlap - AGAIN!!!!!

I haven't seen the movie in France since 2008 (I was also dodging a deluge). Love the music and whenever I hear it, it makes me think of the movie.

Me too! I LOVE that music. 2008 is much too long - you need to stop by again soon.

Cynthia answered a question I had about your Dole Whip- yours had coconut rum. How was it?

Good, but not any better than without the rum. I kind of wish I had gotten the dark rum. It looks cooler.

I agree with you, the flowers in the water are gorgeous.

OMG - they totally are. I just wish they would leave them out all year round.

Love, Love, Love the pictures of Test Track, inside and out!!!

Thanks! :goodvibes

Paparazzi, Soarin' Supper
Your Nemo pictures are great! So hard in there.

Really hard in there. Thank you!

The butterfly tent is so pretty.

I love that tent! It's so super cool! They could leave that up all year round, too! :rotfl:

Once again, great pictures around the World Showcase. The 7 dwarf topiaries are neat- I love your shot of Doc.

Thanks! They were my favorite topiaries, I think. The were perfect!

Love all of bride pictures, especially the ones with the fireworks in the background.

"Shiny" People. BWHAHAHA!

Shiny brides! :rotfl2: My friend made up that term, so I can't really get any credit. ::yes::

What a fantastic shot of the Club Cool sign in between the fountains.

:thumbsup2

Run EP Dinner e&e
Loved that you jumped into the pool with your clothes on.

Yup! One of my finer moments!

Been there. Done that. Didn't mean to! :rotfl:

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

What is in the Dark & Stormy?

:drinking1

Well, dark rum for one thing. I think its a combo of dark rum and maybe ginger ale. I better google that.

I love it when an image like Rafiki holding up Simba is meaningful and brings a smile.

:)

I agree! It's so classic Disney!

(Via)

Of course, from what I hear the "décor" would not necessarily appeal to them.

Reviews are always decent, though

I haven't made it there either!

But they aren't going for the decor. :rotfl: They are going for the food, which is really yummy! You need to check it out!

The shadow in your nighttime topiary pictures are cool!

:goodvibes:

Thanks! :goodvibes

Really pretty, and interesting pictures from your run to DTD

Well, I never really made it all the way to DTD. That was Cynthia. But I love running in that section of SSR. It's a perfect place to run and catch all the scenery.

The breakfast sandwich looks SOOOOO good. Glad that you found something to make up for Olivia's. Bet it was a lot less expensive too.

Quite a bit less expensive. :rotfl2:It was a great substitute. I really enjoyed it. Its my new "go to" sammie at the MK!

You gotta do what you gotta do for a meet.

Exactly!

Love your Mine Train pictures. You know, when there is a (relatively) new subject, you have to snap away.

I sure upheld that principle. I went a little overboard with the Mine Train pics. I should probably delete about half of them from photo bucket!

Sorry, Gaston, you're still not as interesting as these lovely ladies!!!

:rotfl2: You got THAT right! :rotfl2:

Your pool time looked wonderfully relaxing!

It really was. I plan to do a lot of that in August - of course, it will be at the Boardwalk, but that's OK.

Thought you wrote "Getting Antsy" and I started looking for Flik!

Seriously!

:rotfl2:

:rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl2:

Last edited:
We arrive (to US) on the morning of Wed Aug 26. Mark, Nate, Ben and I will be staying at US/Hard Rock until mid-afternoon on Saturday. Then the boys fly home and I head over to the Beach Club for a 3 night stay with some gal pals.

So I guess we miss by more than a day or two (it is 4)

So close!!!

:sad:

Bummer! One of these days our trips will have to line up. I think the later you go in August, the better.

OMG MEK, only YOU!!! :blush: :lmao:

I couldn't help myself - more because I don't think I have ever seen them before in any of the other resort gift shops which got me thinking about why they would be in the Grand Flo and not anywhere else. :confused3

Pat and I had a really nice evening and a wonderful dining experience at the Grand Flo Cafe! :love: We chose it on a whim, and for some place new to try, but it is certainly on the list of places to go again sometime!!! :thumbsup2

I love when a restaurant is totally unplanned and it works out to be perfect. That's always fun!

I thought this was a really cool pool too...........loved the theming! :cool1:

I love all Disney pools, but there are some that are definitely cooler than others. My goal is to visit all of them. I'm getting closer!

We made that walk from Grand Flo to the Poly. It seems like it would be a rather lengthy walk, but with sights like this to enjoy along the way, the walk goes very quickly! :goodvibes

I love that walk. It's actually one mile to the ferry from the VCG. We ran there a few times back in October. It was a fun little mile.

Great pictures of the resorts, and back towards MK. And of course you couldn't resist an open gate............especially when you might be able to stalk a wedding party. :laughing:

You KNOW I had to stalk that wedding party, even if it was a PRE wedding party. There's nothing I like more than a Disney wedding! ::yes::

Last edited:

Oh VGF, how do I love thee :cloud9: thank you for all those gorgeous pictures!!! I have yet to eat in a single restaurant at the GF... Perhaps in January I can sample some tasty morsels.

It's such a beautiful resort. I am looking forward to staying there again in February. I used up all my points, plus next years, just to stay there four nights, but I couldn't help myself.

I've eaten in all the restaurants at VGF. I'm not sure which was my favorite. Oh wait - I lied - I still need to try V&A, if I can ever talk Denny into it. :rolleyes1

Amazing update, Mary Ellen! You can NEVER post too many pictures, so post away!!! :thumbsup2 And I really loved the ones you had the filter on for. Beautiful! :cloud9:

Thanks Tracy. Glad you enjoyed the pictures and the update. It was such a gorgeous evening for pictures. Picture perfect in fact! :rotfl:

Your dinner picture looked amazing - I LOVE anything with grits in it.

Me too! I swear I should live in the south because I LOVE shrimp and grits and fried green tomatoes and they are pretty hard to find up here. Boo!

So not only do your pictures have YOU wanting to go there right now... but they also have ME wanting to go there right now too! :rotfl:

:rotfl2: Me too! Fortunately, I will be going in two months - actually less than two months. yay! :dancer:

OMG I love every single picture in this update! The Grand and the Poly, 2 of the most beautiful Disney resorts! :lovestruc The wedding chapel is so pretty, I really need to remember to check it out someday!

Thanks Jen! They really did a nice job when they added the VGF. It's so nice how seamless the connection is between the two resorts.

And the chapel is AMAZING! Every Disney fan must see it. Just gorgeous!

Last edited:
Fantastic pictures of the Monorail resorts. How cool would it be to be staying so close to MK?

Looks like a great evening!

I loved staying at the VGF. It was really convenient and so nice to run in the morning and see the castle from so many different vantage points. Loved that!

It really a fun evening. We had a great time checking both resorts out!

The Grand Floridian is really a beautiful resort. I love your pictures of the splash pad!

It's a stunning resort. We stayed there in October and loved it. Can't wait to go back again!

I also love that you managed to get sneaky pictures of the chapel and the luau. Nice work! :thumbsup2

When the opportunity presents itself you know I have to go into paparazzi mode! ::yes:::lmao:::yes::

Always great pictures of the GF. Hooray for the GFC, yes we had a great meal there. The walk over to the Poly is nice after dinner. You got some nice evening shots from your walk.

Thanks! It was so fun seeing the villas up close for the first time. And it was the perfect evening for a stroll and for taking pictures at dusk. Can't think of anything I would have enjoyed more that evening!

Hi Ladies! I'm all caught up now. Love the wedding pics. Probably a little staged, like Cynthia said- but then again the bride probably rented that area for her dessert party to have just the perfect pics.

I am sure she did and I am certain she has gorgeous pictures as a result. I just had a fun time watching them.

Looks like a great day at Epcot, which the Rita's added to. Loved the GF pics, too.

Ritas (especially from the Ditch) make everything better! ::yes::::yes::::yes:::drinking1

Thanks for sharing your other travel pics, Mary Ellen. It's always fun to see where you travel.

I'm glad you liked them. I feel like its a waste to take them if I can't share them with other people.

Mean people stink up forums for sure. I don't ever join any conversations anywhere except here and passporter. People are just so rude and hostile everywhere else. Just ugly.

Ugh - I still don't think I am completely over that mess. I just feel so terrible for the victim. It's very unusual for the hostility to carry over to the TR boards. It was awful to see that happen.

So I think I am caught up on replies and I hope to do an update this weekend. Once again I have to apologize for getting behind on everyone's TRs. I am still struggling to maintain a presence on the DIS and it looks like Cynthia is MIA.

I am committed to finishing this TR, so please hang in there with me!

Whenever you have time and enjoy posting I'll be here to read :) no rush, it's supposed to be fun :)

I'm slowly but surely getting caught up on my subscribed trip reports. I wasn't aware of all of the Dis drama until it was pointed out to me and by that time it was pretty much over with. It's sad that people can be so mean and cruel when the boards are supposed to be for the fun stuff that takes us away from every day life. Good for you for sticking to your guns!

Now, I forgot what I wanted to comment on so I'll just comment on the latest update. Goregous pictures of the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian! I have to agree that the shrimp and grits aren't as good as Olivia's but they run a close second.

An Update you say???

No Way!

Yes Way!

So, heck, before I get to my “real” update, do you mind if I post a couple pictures from my winter excursions to Longwood Gardens. I say excursions because we have an annual pass and we went twice to see the Christmas display. These are pics from the first trip.

So - No objections?

OK, here goes….

Continued In Next Post....

Outside

My GF and I outside the train display

It seems like it is ALWAYS so bitter cold when I go in winter that the outdoor displays are turned off, but not tonight.

Once again - Thanks for letting me indulge myself. Now its time for the REAL update….

Star Wars…It is MAY afterall

Friday May 16th

Wow - Friday Already? Just kidding - it has taken me forever to get here, but we’re here so time to carry on.

Second to last Disney day, last full day. Time to get ourselves over to Hollywood Studios for a little Star Wars weekend.

Waiting for the bus.

Today there was a Disney first on the agenda - Star Wars Breakfast at Sci Fi! And the best part, you ask?

Well, DIS meet! Of course. Doh!

The DIS meet was with none other than Caitlin and her parents Dawn and Dale.

Of course, Star Wars breakfast comes with pre pictures and this is the family before us.

I guess our pic is on our Photopass CD that I still haven’t uploaded to photo bucket. I know - I’m a loser, but I was depending on Cynthia and she isn’t updating anymore. And I have some serious space issues - both on photo bucket and my hard drive.

Perhaps I’ll do an update just with my photopass pictures once I make some ROOM!

The next picture I have from breakfast is of the star war themed pastries.

They were cute

but the taste was just average.

As soon as we sat down the movie clips were running. And here is where I have a confession - on the way to the park I discovered that I forgot to put the battery in my camera. so my pictures basically stink. Sorry.

Continued In the Next Post

The lighting in this picture actually turned out OK.

Caitlin wasn’t shy about posing with the wookies.

Flash back - this was when Caitlin was getting ready to enter the college program. She is a full fledged CM now. Way to go!

After pastries, we were served juice and a yogurt parfait.

Our next visitor

And then breakfast was served.

Look like it was my turn to pose for pictures!

I forget what this was. It may have been a special drink you could order.

And that’s all the pictures I have from breakfast because I was LAME and left my camera battery back in the room. I tried to use Cynthia’s camera, which I really liked because it was small and had some nice features, but her battery ended up being dead. It’s just that we didn’t know that at the time, because she was sure she had just charged it. But the camera wouldn’t work - not a lick. So secretly I was worried that I may have broken it. You have NO idea how relieved I was to find out it was simply a dead battery. Phew! Crisis averted!

We had a second DIS meet planned for this morning. Well, it was actually a meet with a DISer’s husband.

I know, you are probably wondering …Hmmmmmmm……without the DISer?

Yup - our friend Mary Ellen (yes there actually IS someone else with the same name as me) sent me a FB message earlier in the trip to tell me her DH would be down later in the week with his sisters. I think it was someone’s birthday trip and HE wanted to meet a DISer. So she picked me. Not because I am a super DISer or anything like that, but because I was THERE.

So I texted him or he texted me…I forget which - and we met in front of the ToT.

See - proof!

And see that cool bag I am holding - he gave me that and even did the painting/stenciling himself. He’s very talented.

I have to tell you that having his picture taken with two girls (with the possibility of being seen on the DIS boards) was a BIG step for this guy. When his wife wrote TRs he used to ask to have his face taken out.

Although our meet was short, it was fun and I actually got to meet him and Mary Ellen last february during my PHM trip. As it turns out, Denny and he grew up really near each other and even know some of the same people. Small World.

I know that Cynthia and I rode something next. I just can’t remember if it was ToT or RnR. I’m guessing RnR, but I could be WRONG.

Then we watched the Star Wars parade. My pictures stink, but all I had was my phone so you get what you get!

Plus we got there late so there were heads everywhere in front of me.

Nothing like a picture of Star Wars Minnie with a stringy piece of someone’s hair in front of her. Yuck.

Better

Getting bet, but not even worth the time to edit, if you ask me!

Ok, maybe they’re NOT getting better!

OK - this girl and her ear and stringy hair are REALLY getting on MY nerves!

Storm Trooper on a mailbox. Hey, why not?

Who is this girl? I have no idea.

And who is THIS girl? (By now I am sure its apparent I am Star Wars clueless despite the fact that my kids watched these movies EVERY SINGLE DARN DAY! )

Continued In the Next Post...

Wait - THIS is Obi-wan?

OK - Wait one minute - Maybe we DIDN’T ride something before the parade because look what I found!

And this

Did we ride BOTH? YAYAYAYAYAY

They were both so cute I couldn’t help but take their picture.

And we got our picture taken. Wait - did we change?????

I took off my star wars T because it was getting so darn hot, but it looks like Cynthia has a different shirt on too. Go figure.

We decided it was time to indulge in a specially crafted Star Wars cocktail.

Mine:

Cynthia’s:

Wait - I don’t have a picture. Sorry!

I can tell you this, while mine may have had that cool light up light saber while hers had some kind of floating death star, her drink was tastier than mine. They were both sort of expensive and I did keep my light saber for a while, but I have since lost it. Boo!

Cynthia decided to stand in line for Darth’s mall (or maul), which I decided to walk around. The posted wait time was 45 minutes just to get in and I am really not that big of a Star Wars groupie, so I passed.

But that didn’t mean I didn’t get to see some interesting sights…..

Oh My!

Cute

Ok then

Super cute

Wow - even Mulch, Sweat, and Tears was out and about today

I decided to cool off in OMD

Cynthia actually got into the mall (or the maul) in under the predicted time. We met up just in time to get a text from another one of my favorite DIS families.

This gang needs no introduction...

(I obviously put my Star Wars shirt back on for the occasion!)

As much as I loved meeting Caitlin’s family, I also loved meeting Danielle’s family. Such lovely people.

And the best part - we were going to see all our DIS friends that evening.

So stayed tuned for the rest of the day including an Illuminations blow out shot with a REAL camera.

Once again - Thanks for letting me indulge myself.
Great pictures! So funny to see all the holiday stuff in June! Looks like they do a great job there, though.

And see that cool bag I am holding - he gave me that and even did the painting/stenciling himself. He’s very talented.
Hmmmm...did he make it for you or did his wife reject it? :scratchin

Who is this girl? I have no idea.

Ashley Eckstein. She's the voice of Ahsoka in the Clone Wars cartoon. She's super sweet and has been a SWW guest/host for several years.

Wait - THIS is Obi-wan?
And that's James Arnold Taylor who is the voice of Obi Wan in the Clone Wars cartoon as well. We saw his show this year at SWW - he is a very talented voice actor and put on a fun show about being a voice actor (it was the one SWW show that Izzy and I went to with Dug).

And the best part - we were going to see all our DIS friends that evening.
Wow, you sure pack in the DISmeets! :thumbsup2

Beautiful pictures from the gardens, some of those trees are spectacular.

I really, really want to do Star Wars weekends someday! Both DH and I are big fans but that time of year is really hard for both of us to get off of work

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter