Offsite Park Hopping for the first time!

Miss Frankie J

Mouseketeer
Hello!

I've been to WDW many many times (over 10 times!) but for the most part I always stay offsite because I own a Timeshare 10 minutes from the parks. Since I stay offsite I never thought of getting a park hopper because I thought it would be inconvenient and time consuming. Since me and my Boyfriend have gone many times we aren't worried about rushing to rides or shows we are mostly going this fall for the Food and Wine festival. We are staying longer and decided to try Park hopping for the first time to really maximize food and wine time going almost every day.

We have set aside days just for Epcot but my question is more about park hopping between MK and Epcot

we were hoping to go to BOG for Breakfast in the morning at MK then Park hop to Epcot in the afternoon. So I'm trying to think of the best strategy to park hop while having a car. I'm thinking 3 options.

1. Park early at Epcot and catch the Monorail from Epcot straight to MK, then Take the Monorail back to hop to Epcot.

2. Park at MK parking early take the Monorail into MK, Then hop to Epcot by Monorail, Then back to MK parking to get the car at night.

3. Park at MK parking, Take the Ferry/Monorail into MK, Take the monorail/Ferry back to MK Parking and Drive to Epcot.

I've taken the ferry and monorail plenty of times from the MK parking lot I was just thinking of what would save the most time. I'm leaning on the first option but I am not familiar with the Monorail service from Epcot to MK.

On average how long does it take to take the monorail from MK to Epcot (and vice versa)?
How Crowded are the Monorails in the AM? PM?

I am not familiar with the Monorail service from Epcot to MK.

1. On average how long does it take to take the monorail from MK to Epcot (and vice versa)?

2. How Crowded are the Monorails in the AM?

3. PM?

1. It's two different monorails. Figure it will take you 30-45 minutes, between the Epcot monorail station and the MK monorail station (with a change of trains at the TTC station.)
2. Between TTC and Epcot, not bad.
3. At closing time (after fireworks) very, very crowded.

When we go to Disney World and stay offsite, we always park at the park where we will end up at the end of the day. In our case, that's always Epcot (we love to stroll around World Showcase and wind down after another park for the day). So, we just monorail over to Magic Kingdom, or depending on the time we arrive, we might take the Contemporary bus back and walk to Magic Kingdom from there. Just depends on our moods.

When we go to Disney World and stay offsite, we always park at the park where we will end up at the end of the day. In our case, that's always Epcot (we love to stroll around World Showcase and wind down after another park for the day). So, we just monorail over to Magic Kingdom, or depending on the time we arrive, we might take the Contemporary bus back and walk to Magic Kingdom from there. Just depends on our moods.
That is what I was thinking would be the smart thing to do. Wow,you use the buses to go to different parks and resorts even if you don't stay onsite? I never knew that, thanks for the advice!

1. It's two different monorails. Figure it will take you 30-45 minutes, between the Epcot monorail station and the MK monorail station (with a change of trains at the TTC station.)
2. Between TTC and Epcot, not bad.
3. At closing time (after fireworks) very, very crowded.

Awesome! Thank you for the information, I wanna avoid taking monorails at night and thus I think I might park at Epcot to avoid that.

Thank you very much!

I would park at the TTC in the morning because you have an early ADR at MK. After that, I would go back to the car and drive to Epcot. If you've paid for parking once, you will only need to show your receipt at the next park. No need to pay for parking twice. IMO, this makes more sense than hopping on and off monorails or taking buses back and forth, especially at the end of the day when you're tired and just want to get back to your resort.

I would park at the TTC in the morning because you have an early ADR at MK. After that, I would go back to the car and drive to Epcot. If you've paid for parking once, you will only need to show your receipt at the next park. No need to pay for parking twice. IMO, this makes more sense than hopping on and off monorails or taking buses back and forth, especially at the end of the day when you're tired and just want to get back to your resort.

Oh! I didn't even know that was a possibility, is it easy to get to TTC? I usually follow the park signs to get around but where would this be located?

Oh! I didn't even know that was a possibility, is it easy to get to TTC? I usually follow the park signs to get around but where would this be located?

TTC is what they also call the "Magic Kingdom parking lot."
If you follow the road signs to MK, you will be parking at what Disney calls the "TTC."

The actual "TTC" is the station where guests board the monorails and ferry boats.

TTC stands for Transportation and Ticket Center, but in recent years it's really primarily
the MK parking lot.

Poly-TTC-Reg_053015_zpsfug1iwhg.jpg

MK-Area-2Lakes-5Resorts.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I like to have my car in the parking lot of the last park I visit. Disney transportation tends to be most strained when a park is dumping out after a nighttime show.

On occasion, I have driven to the Epcot lot in the AM and headed straight for the monorail to MK, then back to Epcot when done there. That works fine, but since you have a set ADR for breakfast, I'd be inclined to go with your option #3, drive to MK, then drive to Epcot. You could do option #1 if you give yourself plenty of time, and for the reason I mentioned above, I'd stay away from #2.

TTC is what they also call the "Magic Kingdom parking lot."
If you follow the road signs to MK, you will be parking at what Disney calls the "TTC."

The actual "TTC" is the station where guests board the monorails and ferry boats.

TTC stands for Transportation and Ticket Center, but in recent years it's really primarily
the MK parking lot.

Poly-TTC-Reg_053015_zpsfug1iwhg.jpg

MK-Area-2Lakes-5Resorts.jpg

Ugh, I'm so silly, I didn't even realize they were one in the same. we usually park there and take the ferry maybe thats why I thought TTC was someplace different. Thank you for clarifying!

Personally, I like to have my car in the parking lot of the last park I visit. Disney transportation tends to be most strained when a park is dumping out after a nighttime show.

On occasion, I have driven to the Epcot lot in the AM and headed straight for the monorail to MK, then back to Epcot when done there. That works fine, but since you have a set ADR for breakfast, I'd be inclined to go with your option #3, drive to MK, then drive to Epcot. You could do option #1 if you give yourself plenty of time, and for the reason I mentioned above, I'd stay away from #2.

and thats what I would want to avoid, the nighttime panic. I havent obtained the ADR yet but that is what I would want to do. making my reservation on time is more important, most likely I will go with option two. we are both pretty comfortable driving around so that seems to make the most sense for us. Thank you!

That is what I was thinking would be the smart thing to do. Wow,you use the buses to go to different parks and resorts even if you don't stay onsite? I never knew that, thanks for the advice!

Once you are actually at Disney World, all Disney transportation is open and available to you. We once to Disney World on our way to the Florida Keys and decided to have dinner at Kona Kafe. We parked at the Polynesian (before the three hour window thing), had dinner, rode around the monorail and even had a boat ride for my father-in-law. We never even stepped into a park that evening. On the way back, we did an evening at Disney World again, this time stopping at the Boardwalk (and parking in overflow), then taking a nice long walk along Crescent Lake with a crossover to Fantasia miniature golf and threw in a boat ride down to the Studios for my father-in-law (can you tell he loved boat rides?). The best part was on the way home when I mentioned to my asocial brother-in-law that he spent two evenings at Disney World and never went through a turnstile. The look on his face was priceless. He stammered that he actually had fun at Disney World!

You can do whatever seems easiest to you - some people like the monorail/buses/etc. They are helpful, and I've certainly used the monorail between Magic Kingdom and the TTC, and a few times from there to a resort/EPCOT as well. But generally, I prefer to drive and do things at my convenience, rather than someone else's. So, if I had the same AM ADR@MK/PM at EPCOT plan in mind, I'd totally drive over to the Magic Kingdom (or really, the TTC) in the morning, then get back in the car and drive to EPCOT for the rest of the day. Sure, you'll likely end up parked further out at EPCOT with the later arrival, but the trams reduce the inconvenience of parking in the hinterlands. At least this way your car is ready and waiting for you when you're tired and footsore at the end of the day, and you don't have to wait for a huge crowd to load on/off the monorail ahead of you while you slowly make your way up to the platform. As was pointed out above, once you pay to park in the World, you can switch to a different park without paying another parking fee. Seems to me that this will be the most convenient thing to do on a park-hopping day.

And I'm jealous of your vacation timing - I love the Food & Wine festival! :)

Once you are actually at Disney World, all Disney transportation is open and available to you. We once to Disney World on our way to the Florida Keys and decided to have dinner at Kona Kafe. We parked at the Polynesian (before the three hour window thing), had dinner, rode around the monorail and even had a boat ride for my father-in-law. We never even stepped into a park that evening. On the way back, we did an evening at Disney World again, this time stopping at the Boardwalk (and parking in overflow), then taking a nice long walk along Crescent Lake with a crossover to Fantasia miniature golf and threw in a boat ride down to the Studios for my father-in-law (can you tell he loved boat rides?). The best part was on the way home when I mentioned to my asocial brother-in-law that he spent two evenings at Disney World and never went through a turnstile. The look on his face was priceless. He stammered that he actually had fun at Disney World!

Wow that sounds like an amazing time! Im glad he had so much fun, Im hearing more about how much fun resort hopping is and exploring disney property. I stayed on onsite last year at Coronado Springs but I am shameful to say I didn't explore the resorts as much as I would have liked. We spent 5 days there after 5 days in Myrtle Beach and we hit the parks each day spending the most time in Epcot (Our favorite park!!). We had a blast but felt like we ran ourselves a little ragged. this time we are taking it a bit slow enjoying food and wine as our priority.

I may have to add some resort exploring to the list of to do's! thank you :)

You can do whatever seems easiest to you - some people like the monorail/buses/etc. They are helpful, and I've certainly used the monorail between Magic Kingdom and the TTC, and a few times from there to a resort/EPCOT as well. But generally, I prefer to drive and do things at my convenience, rather than someone else's. So, if I had the same AM ADR@MK/PM at EPCOT plan in mind, I'd totally drive over to the Magic Kingdom (or really, the TTC) in the morning, then get back in the car and drive to EPCOT for the rest of the day. Sure, you'll likely end up parked further out at EPCOT with the later arrival, but the trams reduce the inconvenience of parking in the hinterlands. At least this way your car is ready and waiting for you when you're tired and footsore at the end of the day, and you don't have to wait for a huge crowd to load on/off the monorail ahead of you while you slowly make your way up to the platform. As was pointed out above, once you pay to park in the World, you can switch to a different park without paying another parking fee. Seems to me that this will be the most convenient thing to do on a park-hopping day.

And I'm jealous of your vacation timing - I love the Food & Wine festival! :)

On the last day of our trip last year we were so irritated with the buses that we just ended up driving to AK and getting a super close spot for EMH. Disney transport is definitely convienient but i agree with you, we like doing things at our own pace and being able to come and go with little restrictions is important to us. I'm glad I know more about the monorail but for this day we will just drive.

And thank you! I love the Food & Wine Festival too! I went in 2014 and I cannot wait to go again. Our priority is the festival thus getting the park hoppers, but man I can do a whole week in Epcot alone during F&W :D

I may have to add some resort exploring to the list of to do's! thank you :)

Resort exploring is a great way to take a break in the middle of the day. If you are at Magic Kingdom, you can do all of your FastPass stuff in the morning, then do the monorail tour for a break and head back into the park later. Same ting for a walk around Crescent Lake - you can do that after a morning at either Epcot or the Studios, have lunch at one of the counter service places, then return to the park for the rest of the day. If you are at Animal Kingdom, take your break by bussing over to Animal Kingdom Lodge - have a slice of pizza at the counter service place (or get a full pie) and walk around see the animals. There's also a nice display of photos behind the front desk area (have to go to the right and then back a bit). So, quick breaks you can easily do during your normal touring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter