414104466_1d6fb8c507.jpg

414104476_5376399e19.jpg

The lobby
415076817_a4f0964c6c.jpg

415076815_153d875cab.jpg

415076812_5d809455a1.jpg

stairs going down to Express Cafe
415076818_ad3fd64aec.jpg

Mill Pond Pool (shaped like Mickey's head)
415715909_dfbc72efe0.jpg

Front of Shades of Green
437045895_570e1cda34.jpg

Love the photos... we have stayed at SOG many times... will be back there in April... my kids love it.... they are 14 and 18 ....

Maine-iac... it looks like we will be there around the same time as you... we check in April 11th and check out April 20th

Thanks for sharing those pics just makes me want to stay here even more! I tried to call today to book but they were closed :(. I will try back tomorrow or Wednesday! We are looking at going in Sept. anyone know any good days better than others? Do they have the halloween partys during sept or just oct?
Also, one other question can you get the dining plan with the room? or no?!:confused3

the only DP at SoG is in conjunction with the special package they have for R&R or returning from the sandbox.. and you can only eat at the Buffets at SoG.

you cannot use any of the WDW DP with SoG rooms.

We loved it there- we would still stay there but having 4 kids and getting 2 rooms just got to be too much. So we bought into DVC
This is how the 3 younger kids fell asleep every night and we had 2 rooms and they still all fell asleep in 1 bed!! My older son basically had the other room all to himself! These pics were taken in 2005
4.jpg

View from our room..

5.jpg

Yikes, looks I'll need to give them a call, too... Doesn't look like they have any suites left for the time I need. Maybe I'll luck out... If not, we'll just get two rooms and maybe they'll at least be in the same section.

We are a family of 5, so it looks like we'll fit in one standard room, anyway. If my mom comes then we'll have to have that second room...

Thanks for the tip -- whoever mentioned calling even when it shows booked online -- I was starting to freak out there for a minute! Keeping my fingers crossed until tomorrow morning...

Cari
Hoping for SOG Oct 08
Planning on 4-Day Wonder Oct 08

We pretty much always stay at SOG. It may not be themed like a Disney resort, but you can't beat it for the money.

My husband will be home from OEF this Monday for two weeks R & R. He has been home for only ten days since last Feb. I ask where he wanted to go for some "us" time and he said WDW. Not my first choice but this is for him. I have stayed there with the kids before and have loved it. He is nervous about staying here because we always stay at a Disney Resort. I am glad that I found this post I will have to show it to him before we leave.

... when I called SOG this morning. :cool1:

Yay! They did confirm that the suites were sold out for the time I wanted, but there were standard rooms available (no poolside). I mentioned to her that I may call back periodically to see if there are any cancellations on poolside rooms.

I think it's for the best, actually. Although we would have liked to have had the suite, and now will likely have 2 non-adjoining rooms, I think it'll be fine. This way, however we split up our group each night (my mom, hubby, me, 3 kids), there are more possibilities for privacy. And if my mom decides not to come, I'll just cancel one of the rooms, and we'll still be all set. (Whereas if I had booked a suite, we might get "stuck" with that and having to pay the higher price unnecessarily since all 5 of us will fit in a regular room.)

Thanks to everyone here for their helpful suggestions -- as someone new to all of this, it is very much appreciated!

We are going to Shades of Green, in Feb 2009, and need to know where to stay! We will have a 1 year old then. So which part would you suggest and why? What would be close to transportation out (like the buses) and to the monorail across the street, and parking (if we use that), etc. Please help me understand which part of the resort we should ask for and why.

Also, is using their transportation a pain? I know their buses don't run as often as everyone elses, and don't go as many places, etc. Also, is using their parking garage a pain?

Is it a long walk to the Poly (especially with a 1 year old)?

Thanks!!!

The best thing about SOG buses is that they are on a schedule so you can plan when to meet them; that makes them better than other resorts buses as far as I'm concerned. The buses go to AK, BB, TL, MGM, DTD & TTC. The monorails and ferry boats are at TTC for transit to Epcot & MK. The walk to the monorail in the Poly is about 10 minutes. If I remember correctly its every 15 minutes to the TTC, and on the half hour to the others.

Using the parking garage is easy, and I would suggest the newer section if you can get it because it's closer to the garage - especially if you plan on using your car a lot. Have fun

First off:

Is there transportation from MCO to SoG through Disney Express or do we have to make other arrangements?

Is it convienent to get to Poly to take Disney busses?

Can you participate in EMH while staying at SoG?

You cannot use Magical Express while staying at SOG, but you do get EMH and all that good stuff, also you can easily walk from SOG to the Poly or take the Shady Shuttle to the end of SOG property and walk the rest of the way (very short).

Just a note to the person who said there were no poolside rooms left for your dates, SOG only charges extra for poolside rooms that are on the bottom floor, you can still get a pool view without paying the extra for poolside.

Great thread! Like others have said SoG is a great place to stay! I am going back again in two weeks and can’t wait :)

Suzy, WOW, you have been there a ton of times!

I see you live in NJ but still make it down there often. Do you fly or drive?

I'm in CT and DH thinks it's just too loonnnggg of a drive and a waste of 2 days. What's your take?

We are going to Shades of Green, in Feb 2009, and need to know where to stay! We will have a 1 year old then. So which part would you suggest and why? What would be close to transportation out (like the buses) and to the monorail across the street, and parking (if we use that), etc. Please help me understand which part of the resort we should ask for and why.

Also, is using their transportation a pain? I know their buses don't run as often as everyone elses, and don't go as many places, etc. Also, is using their parking garage a pain?

Is it a long walk to the Poly (especially with a 1 year old)?

Thanks!!!

I would request the new building. It is a farther walk to the buses, but the old section looked old and musty to us. Even from the new section, it isn't a long walk to the buses.

We didn't think the transportation was a pain at all on the WAY to the parks. The buses were timely leaving the resort and went to all the parks and the TTC. You do have to fold your stroller before getting on the bus, and we found that if the posted time for the bus was 8:30am, then it left at 8:29am - so be punctual! As for going home, you have to plan it well, because they only come once an hour. We often used the monorail and got off at the Poly and walked.

It was a 10 min walk to the Poly. Not too bad if your child is in a stroller.

Hi All,

My family is staying at SoG in April. I requested the new building but I understand that it is only a request. Has anyone had any experience staying at the older part recently. Just want to get an idea of what we may be in for if we don't get our request of the new building. Thanks.

I always request the older section. One because it is closer to the pools. Two it has partial dividing walls separating the sleeping area from sofa and table. It seems more like a suite.:goodvibes Three it has four chairs at the table instead of two. We can sit all the children around the table to eat instead of taking turns.

Those pictures are making me excited. We arrive at SOG on 06 Apr 08 and will stay through 11 Apr 08, right in the middle of Spring Break.
:woohoo: :yay: :dance3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter