Official NASHVILLE Discussion Thread

I've been looking forward to this show! I hope it sticks around!

Hayden is all grown up and a beautiful girl! I remember when she played the first Lizzie Spaulding on Guiding Light!

I love that the music is all new! Great country music.

I'm thinking it is not based on Carrie Underwood and Faith Hill at all.

I love that the music is all new! Great country music.

I'm thinking it is not based on Carrie Underwood and Faith Hill at all.

I guessed it was based off Faith Hill and Taylor Swift, but I don't really follow country music.

I think it's a bit based off Faith and Taylor but not a lot.

According to Hayden it is not based on Taylor at all....not sure about Faith.

I have already downloaded some of the song from Itunes.....

MJ

I was just going to start a thread about this, I loved it! Can't wait til next week :cool1:

I fell asleep in the middle of it, but did record it so will watch it again. The first half couldn't keep me awake, so if the second half wasn't any better I won't continue watching/recording it.

I liked it, but thought some things were over-the-top dramatic. Like Rayna's dad's character. I felt like I was watching an episode of Dallas or Dynasty. A little ridiculous.

While Rayna does resemble Faith Hill, Faith doesn't have to work another day in her life and is married to someone who is equally if not more successful than herself, so the new country royalty doesn't affect her like it does Rayna. A better comparison would be someone like Martina McBride. I wouldn't compare Hayden's character to Carrie or Taylor because I don't think they're vixens like her, but I do think it's just a general statement of the younger/hipper/newer/crossover types (and younger music executives) changing things.

On one hand, DH and I enjoyed watching them portray our town . . . we spent many a night at the Bluebird Cafe where many of those scenes took place, noticing little things like Rayna's Loveless Cafe shirt, etc., but in a way it was a little unsettling because we know many of those kinds of people and those relationships. Not the singers, but the musicians, songwriters, producers, etc. We're going to give it another chance, but I'm not a fan of Rayna's father's character and that storyline -- I think I've been watching reality shows for too long and trying to get into a drama series after not watching one in a while will take a little adjustment on my part. :rotfl:

Oh, one last thing . . . we had a hard time understanding some of the accents. Some were better at it than others. The young couple at the Bluebird (who were fantastic by the way) obviously are not from the south!

I liked it, but thought some things were over-the-top dramatic. Like Rayna's dad's character. I felt like I was watching an episode of Dallas or Dynasty. A little ridiculous.

While Rayna does resemble Faith Hill, Faith doesn't have to work another day in her life and is married to someone who is equally if not more successful than herself, so the new country royalty doesn't affect her like it does Rayna. A better comparison would be someone like Martina McBride. I wouldn't compare Hayden's character to Carrie or Taylor because I don't think they're vixens like her, but I do think it's just a general statement of the younger/hipper/newer/crossover types (and younger music executives) changing things.

On one hand, DH and I enjoyed watching them portray our town . . . we spent many a night at the Bluebird Cafe where many of those scenes took place, noticing little things like Rayna's Loveless Cafe shirt, etc., but in a way it was a little unsettling because we know many of those kinds of people and those relationships. Not the singers, but the musicians, songwriters, producers, etc. We're going to give it another chance, but I'm not a fan of Rayna's father's character and that storyline -- I think I've been watching reality shows for too long and trying to get into a drama series after not watching one in a while will take a little adjustment on my part. :rotfl:

Oh, one last thing . . . we had a hard time understanding some of the accents. Some were better at it than others. The young couple at the Bluebird (who were fantastic by the way) obviously are not from the south!

Funny...I thought Rayna's dad was awesome...very strong performance...it did remind me of a character like in Dallas but that was fine....I thought Powers Boothe did a great job. Someone you love to hate.

As to the accents....Clare Bowen (Scarlett) is from Australia and Sam Palladio (Gunner) is from the UK. Really loved their duet at the end. Very moving.

The Bluebird Cafe was meticulously recreated (down to cracks in the wall) in a soundstage that used to be the Nascar headquarters. I have read so many reviews of the show and all mention how they wanted the Bluebird to be an exact replica and not a cheesey imitation.

MJ

I agree 100% about the dad character. I laughed every time he got all riled up. It definitely felt very Dynasty-esque.

I didn't love it as much as I hoped I would but I often find pilots try to cram so much into one episode that they aren't the best example of how the show will eventually shake out. I will watch it for a few more weeks to see how it plays out. It stays on the DVR for now. :)

The verdict is in at our house - we loved it! :yay: We also thought Rayna's father was very Dallas-esque, but I don't mind a strong character as long as there's a place for it. It fit for her to rebel against him ("He doesn't worship at the church of Nashville," etc.) because he's such an overbearing father and seems to always have been.

The duet at the end was mesmerizing - so haunting and beautiful.

I thought there were little nods towards the Faith Hill/Carrie Underwood connection. The styling of the characters, right down to their hair, reminded me of both of them. Rayna's dad tossing around the baseball in the empty field (wasn't Tim McGraw's father Tug McGraw, a baseball player?). But of course those things could be purely coincidental (and probably are).

I have been waiting for this show to start. I liked it but I didn't love it like I thought I would. I realize it's the first episode so I hope it gets better? I think they also introduced too many characters at once and alot of them even looked alike. The acting was also okay. I don't know if this show will last. I think the hype was far greater than what I saw but I will watch with the hope it does get better. I also think the father and husband story line does not really add anything to the show. They should keep the focus on the two main characters. Just my thoughts. I guess we will see what happens.

Wasn't there a hint that Rayna's youngest daughter (Maddie) may not be her husband's??..when her dad was trying to coerce her into showing up at her husband's political event....and Hayden's mom (the meth addict) looks to be trouble for her!! Good story lines.

MJ

As to the accents....Clare Bowen (Scarlett) is from Australia and Sam Palladio (Gunner) is from the UK. Really loved their duet at the end. Very moving.

The Bluebird Cafe was meticulously recreated (down to cracks in the wall) in a soundstage that used to be the Nascar headquarters. I have read so many reviews of the show and all mention how they wanted the Bluebird to be an exact replica and not a cheesey imitation.

MJ

Well, that explains why their accents sounded so odd. Man, they were great, though!

See, I haven't read anything about it, so I wasn't sure if the Bluebird was a set. I assumed that it was just for logistical purposes, but DH said that they could have filmed in the middle of the night. Also, when they were outside, it looked just like the outside -- small parking lot, Whole Foods across the street, etc. They did a great job of replicating it -- looks just like it.

I agree 100% about the dad character. I laughed every time he got all riled up. It definitely felt very Dynasty-esque.

I didn't love it as much as I hoped I would but I often find pilots try to cram so much into one episode that they aren't the best example of how the show will eventually shake out. I will watch it for a few more weeks to see how it plays out. It stays on the DVR for now. :)

This is how I feel, too -- that pilots try to cram so much in that you really can't get a feel until a few episodes in.

Wasn't there a hint that Rayna's son may not be her husband's??..when her dad was trying to coerce her into showing up at her husband's political event....and Hayden's mom (the meth addict) looks to be trouble for her!! Good story lines.

MJ

Yep, her dad did say something along those lines. I like the storyline with Hayden's (I forget the character's name) mom, too.

I really liked it. Also felt like the pilot should have been longer. There was too much to introduce for a one hour show.

I felt like many of the male characters were too similar looking. Had a hard time figuring out who was who. But I was glad to see Jonathan Jackson (Lucky from General Hospital) on there. Always thought he was a good actor and am hoping he finds much success.

Also love Connie Britton. Great actress and I think Hayden P is giving a very layered performance.

Well, I didn't get to see it. I had saved it to watch tonight, but my DVR lost signal and ate all my recordings. Where's the smiley with smoke coming out of its ears when you need it.

I don't think it's exclusively based on Faith and Carrie, but I couldn't help but think of it because of how Faith's negative reaction got caught on camera at the CMA's/ACM's, when Carrie won entertainer of the year.

sharbear said:
I really liked it. Also felt like the pilot should have been longer. There was too much to introduce for a one hour show.

I felt like many of the male characters were too similar looking. Had a hard time figuring out who was who. But I was glad to see Jonathan Jackson (Lucky from General Hospital) on there. Always thought he was a good actor and am hoping he finds much success.

Also love Connie Britton. Great actress and I think Hayden P is giving a very layered performance.

Oh my gosh I was going to post last night but didn't get around to it. I totally agree that the male characters are too similar on looks. I was never sure of who was who aside from her husband and brother. The rest were all tall with dark wavy hair. The women
all had different colored hair and there weren't as many to keep track of.

Liz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter