*** OFFICIAL January 2013 Thread ***

Dad's all ready put down the min deposit (spotted it when reading the email) so I don't know how that will effect the split stay. Hell I thought we were doing AoA (the one value hotel my parents actually seemed to like (they took one look at the outside of Pop on the last trip and said no I though since AoA was newer it would be better)) until I saw the reservations since it was cheaper. I was surprised, happy, but surprised. I may suggest a split stay but I am not so sure how big Mom will be on it (she's willing to head over to US for a night (or was on the last trip, I'm hoping to just convince her for a day at the park (I will pay for the Universal Express if need be, I have paid for those kind of services in the past (Six Flags))) because we just had to pack an overnight bag) but she doesn't always like switching hotels in a trip, period.

I actually forgot about Tom Sawyer but will definitely keep it in mind (I've only been over to the island at either resorts once during my trips to DLR and WDW). As long as we could find a good shady rocking spot (shade and indoors is pretty important for us, her a bit more than me, I get pre cancerous melanomas and she's flat out had second stage skin cancer before) I'm pretty sure Mom would love it. And anything that will make the day not so crowded and rushed my parents will definetely enjoy (as my Mom keeps reminding me, I have older parents (early 60s))

For NYE meal wise I was actually think Crystal Palace for breakfast LTT for lunch (went there on Princess trip and loved it) and CRT for dinner (I know people have had iffy experiences there but I went last time and the food was good to me, plus I'm kind of dying to have dinner there once, not literally but you get the idea but I think it would be nice to do something nice for dinner and this strikes me as one of the nicer places in the park or at least it did last February). Most park days won't be three meal days (expense and time), two at the most on most days (home made snacks for the others). I can actually go a while without eating in a park when I want to. There's one day (race day) where I basically will have one actual meal (something light before and after the race, then I will be going into the parks post race to enjoy the Disney aspect of run disney since I'm missing Marathon Monday this year).

I'm waiting to see how many offsite days we will have, probably not even in FL before bringing up an AP. Oh well the later I wait the more likely I'll have when I probably do the Disneyland Half in 2013 (I love Disney races, can you tell). Or can talk my parents into renewing it for them. But as it stands right now until I know officially how many days we will be in the parks and how much we could save getting an AP I imagine the conversation with my Mom going more like 'You want to get what?!' Mainly because while I understand that an AP would be a money saver with the races I don't think my parents will until I can present cold hard concrete facts.

ETA: After a quick conversation with Dad which revealed that he was actually thinking we would just stay on site for the entire 15 days -squeal- I cautiously broached the subject of the Premium Passport with my parents giving a price breakdown of how much the passports would cost versus just buying multiple regular tickets. And ... we are going to get them!!!!! We won't get them until right before the Disneyland trip but I am actually going to get an AP!

Congrats on the AP!! I love having ours as it really allows you to just wander more and see things...go for a few hours and then leave, etc.

I love CRT! We've been there 2x for lunch and have had good meals and great atmosphere. Of course I have 2 young girls so seeing all the princesses is a plus, too!

I've changed our dates!

Same spot - Windsor Hills - (unless I get a good discount on a room package later!) - but I've moved it up to January 4th through 12th.

Decided I wanted to be arriving as the New Years crowds are leaving and leaving when the Marathoners and Cheerleaders are arriving.

Plus it gives our oldest daughter another week at home once we return before she has to be back at college (which is the 20th).

I'm in Fredericksburg! I have two sisters-in-law who live in South Riding! :)

I'll join the NoVA group! I'm in South Riding and almost always take the Auto Train out of Lorton when we head to the world. Taking a trip in June with two daughters and then back in January with just the youngest - of course, youngest is 22 now! Oldest is a math teacher in Loudoun county so we have to go with her when school is out!

ETA: After a quick conversation with Dad which revealed that he was actually thinking we would just stay on site for the entire 15 days -squeal- I cautiously broached the subject of the Premium Passport with my parents giving a price breakdown of how much the passports would cost versus just buying multiple regular tickets. And ... we are going to get them!!!!! We won't get them until right before the Disneyland trip but I am actually going to get an AP!

Congrats on the AP!!! If I get my school money would I should get it, I'm really thinking about upgrading at least my ticket to an AP. That way, if we don't get a bounce back there is at least the chance to get a discount for our January trip. I would really love to upgrade all of the tickets, so my DH has no choice at all for us to go in January. Well he really doesn't have a choice, but he thinks he does.

silly double posts

I've changed our dates!

Same spot - Windsor Hills - (unless I get a good discount on a room package later!) - but I've moved it up to January 4th through 12th.

Decided I wanted to be arriving as the New Years crowds are leaving and leaving when the Marathoners and Cheerleaders are arriving.

Plus it gives our oldest daughter another week at home once we return before she has to be back at college (which is the 20th).

That makes a lot of sense for your new dates...and DD will need some time to recoop and prepare before going back to college!

I'll join the NoVA group! I'm in South Riding and almost always take the Auto Train out of Lorton when we head to the world. Taking a trip in June with two daughters and then back in January with just the youngest - of course, youngest is 22 now! Oldest is a math teacher in Loudoun county so we have to go with her when school is out!

YAY!! I didn't know we had so many Virginians on DIS and esp in our little January group!

We are practically neighbors as I'm in Ashburn...maybe one of these trips, we'll see you on the Autotrain. It's our new favorite way to go to WDW!

Congrats on the AP!!! If I get my school money would I should get it, I'm really thinking about upgrading at least my ticket to an AP. That way, if we don't get a bounce back there is at least the chance to get a discount for our January trip. I would really love to upgrade all of the tickets, so my DH has no choice at all for us to go in January. Well he really doesn't have a choice, but he thinks he does.

He'll learn soon enough!;):lmao:

He'll learn soon enough!;):lmao:

You would think he would sooner or later. This July 1st will be our 17th wedding anniversary (we got married young at 19), and you think he would have learned by now.

I'm hoping to really celebrate our 20th anniverary big. It'll not only be a big anniversary b/c it'll be the 20th, but it's the first anniversary that marks us being married more years than the number of year we lived being not married (20 yrs married vs 19 years before we got married). I would love to do an England/ Paris (/w Disneyland Paris) trip. I have a few years to dream of that one, though.

Jumping in with this January thread as well! I'm already subscribed to Kim's thread as well as the FB group! :thumbsup2

As it stands now we're booked for OKW (our home resort) for January 19th-24th. But as soon as that 7 month window opens up we're jumping ship for a split stay between BLT and BWV. Hopefully as long as the pixie dust is on our side pixiedust:

Only 105 days until we can make our ADR's!!:banana:

A quick update, I am being told to plan at least one day of non-theme park away from Disney. I'll probably plan for two to keep Mom's complaining down to a minimum. Looking at swimming with manitees and Discovery Cove. Manitees look like a definite do, DC I'll probably have to wait and see. I think they may go with it since I've been practically begging to do a dolphin swim, somewhere, anywhere, for several months now. Plus two week entry into another theme park (not that we would be using more than a day maybe, thinking if we do it that after the swim I may want to go over to Sea World for a few hours (I want to ride their roller coaster) if I can)) . I am trying to talk them out of a two day trip to the Everglades (only would be two days since it takes so long to drive down there (4 hours one way)) by presenting ideas closer to Orlando that don't require an overnight stay. Ideas there too would be appreciated. I did get some from the Orlando and Other side of the forum but wondering you all have any suggestions.

Jumping in with this January thread as well! I'm already subscribed to Kim's thread as well as the FB group! :thumbsup2

As it stands now we're booked for OKW (our home resort) for January 19th-24th. But as soon as that 7 month window opens up we're jumping ship for a split stay between BLT and BWV. Hopefully as long as the pixie dust is on our side pixiedust:

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust: Here's a little more pixie dust to get y'all that split stay. I still haven't made a list of ADRs for our January trip. I know, I'm so far behind. There will be some, like Biergarten and Chef Mickey's, that we will eat at in January no matter what we think of them in June. I just want to wait until we try a couple of places to see if there are any that we want to repeat on the January trip.

You would think he would sooner or later. This July 1st will be our 17th wedding anniversary (we got married young at 19), and you think he would have learned by now.

I'm hoping to really celebrate our 20th anniverary big. It'll not only be a big anniversary b/c it'll be the 20th, but it's the first anniversary that marks us being married more years than the number of year we lived being not married (20 yrs married vs 19 years before we got married). I would love to do an England/ Paris (/w Disneyland Paris) trip. I have a few years to dream of that one, though.

Congrats on being married so long! In today's world, that is not a common thing. Next year, DH and I will celebrate our 15th Anniversary and I'm hoping to go to the Carribbean (Sandals resort) but need to see who will watch our kids. My parents will do it for a night or two but not a whole week, which I'd love to do. But a weekend away is better than nothing, right?

Disney Paris and Europe would be a great celebration!

Great! I will add you to the list. I didn't want to add people from the other thread w/o their permission.

We just stayed at OKW this past January and we loved it!! I didn't think I would but it is great -- loved the huge rooms and the canal view. Only thing I didn't like was those darn shades on the doors -- takes forever to open and shut!:rotfl2:

A quick update, I am being told to plan at least one day of non-theme park away from Disney. I'll probably plan for two to keep Mom's complaining down to a minimum. Looking at swimming with manitees and Discovery Cove. Manitees look like a definite do, DC I'll probably have to wait and see. I think they may go with it since I've been practically begging to do a dolphin swim, somewhere, anywhere, for several months now. Plus two week entry into another theme park (not that we would be using more than a day maybe, thinking if we do it that after the swim I may want to go over to Sea World for a few hours (I want to ride their roller coaster) if I can)) . I am trying to talk them out of a two day trip to the Everglades (only would be two days since it takes so long to drive down there (4 hours one way)) by presenting ideas closer to Orlando that don't require an overnight stay. Ideas there too would be appreciated. I did get some from the Orlando and Other side of the forum but wondering you all have any suggestions.

We swam with Manatees on the Crystal River, which was about 2 hours from WDW ... we did it as a day trip and was super fun!! We just hired a local guide so it was him, his small boat and my DH and I.

My parents did an Everglades tour boat ride too.

As for Discovery Cove, the only thing I will caution you on is that if the weather is cold, you will be miserable.

We are tentatively planning DC, too, but won't make that decision until we know what the weather is like. This past January would have been perfect for our dates -- 70s-80s, warm/hot and sunny.

However, had we gone the week before, my DIS friends were in pants, scarves and hats (and they were from Chicago!). Swimming in the water all day in those temps would have just been horrible, IMHO.

I know DC does limit the number of people in, so it's possible it could get all booked before you could go ... but IMO that's a better risk than getting sick from freezing all day in 40s/50s and wet.

I believe the cancellation policy is 30 days in advance and one date change only. So you could be out a lot of money ($199 I think for January) if the weather gets bad when you can go. Now, the fact that you have a 2 week window, you should be able to find a good day to go, if available.

HTH

Congrats on being married so long! In today's world, that is not a common thing. Next year, DH and I will celebrate our 15th Anniversary and I'm hoping to go to the Carribbean (Sandals resort) but need to see who will watch our kids. My parents will do it for a night or two but not a whole week, which I'd love to do. But a weekend away is better than nothing, right?

Disney Paris and Europe would be a great celebration!

Thank you!! It hasn't been easy, especially with us being married at such a young age and going through some of the things we have been through. We both say that we're just too stubborn to ever get divorced. :lmao:

We have been very lucky in getting grandparents to watch our boys for us to do non-kid vacations. When our youngest was a few months old, the in-laws watched them for us to go to Vegas for the weekend. We had had a rough couple of years prior to the vacation and they thought we needed a get away on our own. For our 5th anniversary we went to WDW for a few days without the kids. For our 6th we went to San Antonio, TX (where we went on our honeymoon) again without the kids. The last non-kid trip we took was for our 10th wedding anniversary and we went back to Las Vegas. My mil feels it's important for married couples to get away when they can without the kids. Well, as long as they can afford it. We weren't able to do anything for our 15th due to finances, so I really hope we can do something big for our 20th.

Thank you!! It hasn't been easy, especially with us being married at such a young age and going through some of the things we have been through. We both say that we're just too stubborn to ever get divorced. :lmao:

We have been very lucky in getting grandparents to watch our boys for us to do non-kid vacations. When our youngest was a few months old, the in-laws watched them for us to go to Vegas for the weekend. We had had a rough couple of years prior to the vacation and they thought we needed a get away on our own. For our 5th anniversary we went to WDW for a few days without the kids. For our 6th we went to San Antonio, TX (where we went on our honeymoon) again without the kids. The last non-kid trip we took was for our 10th wedding anniversary and we went back to Las Vegas. My mil feels it's important for married couples to get away when they can without the kids. Well, as long as they can afford it. We weren't able to do anything for our 15th due to finances, so I really hope we can do something big for our 20th.

Yeah, I can't imagine the ups and downs, particularly when you marry young. My DH and I waited until he was in his 30s and I in my late 20s to marry ... and we still struggle. But at the end of it all, we are committed to one another.

You have a wonderful MIL and you definitely need to tell her that for me!!:thumbsup2:rotfl2:

I wish my parents would have the same approach. For the first 5 years of my older DD's life, they didn't take her at all. Then they did a week trip to Myrtle Beach with her and took along my sister's family to help out.

However, they are getting better. Last year they took both girls for 2 nights and this summer they are taking my youngest for 3 nights so my DD6 and I can go on our Mommy and Me trip.

We would love to go to Las Vegas!!

I never thought I would be one of those people, but I have changed the dates of our stay! :laughing: This way, we'll be able to run the marathon and then relax the rest of the week.

So, we are now going January 11-20, BLT and we upgraded to the 1 bdrm with TPV!! :cheer2:

We are uber excited and cannot wait to go. Registered today on opening day!

Yeah, I can't imagine the ups and downs, particularly when you marry young. My DH and I waited until he was in his 30s and I in my late 20s to marry ... and we still struggle. But at the end of it all, we are committed to one another.

You have a wonderful MIL and you definitely need to tell her that for me!!:thumbsup2:rotfl2:

I wish my parents would have the same approach. For the first 5 years of my older DD's life, they didn't take her at all. Then they did a week trip to Myrtle Beach with her and took along my sister's family to help out.

However, they are getting better. Last year they took both girls for 2 nights and this summer they are taking my youngest for 3 nights so my DD6 and I can go on our Mommy and Me trip.

We would love to go to Las Vegas!!

We had so much fun in Las Vegas!! The last time, I walked up to a Star Wars machine and put in a $20. I didn't know what I was doing and just kept pressing different places on the screen. I thought I had won 200 nickels. Since the last time my DH and I were in Vegas the slot machines had changed. They all used to give out actual coins, but this one wasn't doing anything. While my DH and I were trying to figure out what to do, a guy sitting by us leaned over. He explained that I hadn't won 200 nickels, but I had won $200, and he suggested that we cash out. He had to show us how to do that. :lmao: I would love to go back, I just want to make sure we have enough money for all the shows and enough for the Black Jack tables (our favorite). A lady I used to work for at a day care, wanted to go to Vegas but would never go. She was terrified that if she ever went to Vegas and had fun, that would be the time that Jesus would come back and she would spend eternity in h-e-you-know-where for having fun there.:lmao:

I used to work with one lady that her parents picked up her kids every Friday and brought them back to day care every Monday morning. I don't think I would want to be away from them that much, but it's nice to be able to from time to time. Also, I worked with another lady that both her parents and her hubby's parents wouldn't watch them at all, not even for them to go see a movie. If they came over to visit, they had to be there the entire time there kids were there.
I never thought I would be one of those people, but I have changed the dates of our stay! :laughing: This way, we'll be able to run the marathon and then relax the rest of the week.

So, we are now going January 11-20, BLT and we upgraded to the 1 bdrm with TPV!! :cheer2:

We are uber excited and cannot wait to go. Registered today on opening day!

You now arrive on my birthday!! I would love to have a TPV at either the CR or BLT. When I mentioned it to my DH, he said that he would much rather stay at the GF, which had me totally confused.

We had so much fun in Las Vegas!! The last time, I walked up to a Star Wars machine and put in a $20. I didn't know what I was doing and just kept pressing different places on the screen. I thought I had won 200 nickels. Since the last time my DH and I were in Vegas the slot machines had changed. They all used to give out actual coins, but this one wasn't doing anything. While my DH and I were trying to figure out what to do, a guy sitting by us leaned over. He explained that I hadn't won 200 nickels, but I had won $200, and he suggested that we cash out. He had to show us how to do that. :lmao: I would love to go back, I just want to make sure we have enough money for all the shows and enough for the Black Jack tables (our favorite). A lady I used to work for at a day care, wanted to go to Vegas but would never go. She was terrified that if she ever went to Vegas and had fun, that would be the time that Jesus would come back and she would spend eternity in h-e-you-know-where for having fun there.:lmao:

I used to work with one lady that her parents picked up her kids every Friday and brought them back to day care every Monday morning. I don't think I would want to be away from them that much, but it's nice to be able to from time to time. Also, I worked with another lady that both her parents and her hubby's parents wouldn't watch them at all, not even for them to go see a movie. If they came over to visit, they had to be there the entire time there kids were there.

You now arrive on my birthday!! I would love to have a TPV at either the CR or BLT. When I mentioned it to my DH, he said that he would much rather stay at the GF, which had me totally confused.

The thing about the Star Wars sounds like something I would do if I ever went to Vegas now that I'm of age (was 18 when I last went, parents suggested it for my 21st but I wanted to do something completely different (not Disney)). Brings back memories of some of my first really exotic bets at the horse races (don't bet on all the races, just the big ones when I'm at the track). Poor cashier had to explain how some of the bets worked to keep me from over spending. Thankfully there wasn't a line behind me at the time so she could do that but still.

Looks like the manatee swim is definitely a go for us (well more for me, Mom seems more content to just watch this). I am trying to figure out things to do in the area after the swim (we are driving up night before to go on the 6:15 tour). I discovered personalized trail rides about 20 minutes north of CR which makes me feel guilty to even think about suggesting since I'm the only horse back rider of the family. Probably still to heavy for their horses but I should be at a good weight hopefully by January especially since I'm working on my goal to get down to 220 to make the weight I need for the local riding stables (225 with clothes on).

The thing about the Star Wars sounds like something I would do if I ever went to Vegas now that I'm of age (was 18 when I last went, parents suggested it for my 21st but I wanted to do something completely different (not Disney)). Brings back memories of some of my first really exotic bets at the horse races (don't bet on all the races, just the big ones when I'm at the track). Poor cashier had to explain how some of the bets worked to keep me from over spending. Thankfully there wasn't a line behind me at the time so she could do that but still.

Looks like the manatee swim is definitely a go for us (well more for me, Mom seems more content to just watch this). I am trying to figure out things to do in the area after the swim (we are driving up night before to go on the 6:15 tour). I discovered personalized trail rides about 20 minutes north of CR which makes me feel guilty to even think about suggesting since I'm the only horse back rider of the family. Probably still to heavy for their horses but I should be at a good weight hopefully by January especially since I'm working on my goal to get down to 220 to make the weight I need for the local riding stables (225 with clothes on).

I keep telling my DSs that we will take them to Vegas for their 21st birthdays. My DH wants to take them next year, in part of a trip that would include Thombstone, AZ, Disneyland, the Grand Canyon, and the Redwood National Forest. He wants to take them to see the Blue Man group that is there.

A swim with the manatee sounds like so much fun!! I would love to do the horseback riding at the FW, but I'm not sure if there is a weight limit to it. I could probably get enough weight off to be able to do it by our January trip, I just don't think the DH could. Then again, I don't think he would want to do it anyway. He would probably rather sleep late than go horseback riding. He doesn't love it as much as I do. We never had horses growing up, but my best friend did. I loved spending the weekend with her and getting up at 5:00 AM to be able to go riding.

I keep telling my DSs that we will take them to Vegas for their 21st birthdays. My DH wants to take them next year, in part of a trip that would include Thombstone, AZ, Disneyland, the Grand Canyon, and the Redwood National Forest. He wants to take them to see the Blue Man group that is there.

A swim with the manatee sounds like so much fun!! I would love to do the horseback riding at the FW, but I'm not sure if there is a weight limit to it. I could probably get enough weight off to be able to do it by our January trip, I just don't think the DH could. Then again, I don't think he would want to do it anyway. He would probably rather sleep late than go horseback riding. He doesn't love it as much as I do. We never had horses growing up, but my best friend did. I loved spending the weekend with her and getting up at 5:00 AM to be able to go riding.

I hope you don't mind me making these two suggestions but your trip made me think of two things. Two places you may want to check out in AZ are Petrified National Forest (just east of Flagstaff) and the small deer park jut west of Flagstaff. Went to both on previous trips to the GC though won't be going to either on the upcoming trip since we are coming into the North Rim via Vegas.

The reason why we were looking at the place up north and not FW (as cool as it would be ride on Disney property) is simple: personolization. As someone who has ridden a lot being stuck with a bunch of beginners on a trail ride gets very boring very quickly. And the Rymar Ranch (the stables I'm looking at) website said they will personalize based on riding experience. The only problem is that they need two riders. Mom is currently trying to see if we would be willing to pay the price for two riders if they would just take me.

I hope you don't mind me making these two suggestions but your trip made me think of two things. Two places you may want to check out in AZ are Petrified National Forest (just east of Flagstaff) and the small deer park jut west of Flagstaff. Went to both on previous trips to the GC though won't be going to either on the upcoming trip since we are coming into the North Rim via Vegas.

The reason why we were looking at the place up north and not FW (as cool as it would be ride on Disney property) is simple: personolization. As someone who has ridden a lot being stuck with a bunch of beginners on a trail ride gets very boring very quickly. And the Rymar Ranch (the stables I'm looking at) website said they will personalize based on riding experience. The only problem is that they need two riders. Mom is currently trying to see if we would be willing to pay the price for two riders if they would just take me.

Thank you for the suggestions. They both sound like fun!! Oh and I forgot that he wants to also go to Napa Valley, Redding, CA (b/c he lived there for a while) and Mt. Shasta.
My DH wants to me plan two different trips. One like I said before and the other going to the other coast and going to Gettysburg (he's a big Civil War nut) and to the Smithsonian museum. Once both are planned, he wants to see which one the boys want to do first. One will happen Summer 2013 and the other Summer 2014.

Thank you for the suggestions. They both sound like fun!! Oh and I forgot that he wants to also go to Napa Valley, Redding, CA (b/c he lived there for a while) and Mt. Shasta.
My DH wants to me plan two different trips. One like I said before and the other going to the other coast and going to Gettysburg (he's a big Civil War nut) and to the Smithsonian museum. Once both are planned, he wants to see which one the boys want to do first. One will happen Summer 2013 and the other Summer 2014.

If your going that far north you may want to stop by San Francisco and hit some of its sights. The weather there is great year around but keep in mind when you're traveling there. San Francisco hosts one of the few July marathons in the country because the weather cooperates with them. Its always the last weekend in July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter