OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is lame... :( I might even reschedule the meal for GF of the Contemporary at that point, just so I could get the cake I wanted.

We're eating at Cape May just because my DH wanted all he could eat crab for his bday.

I really expected to find more decent Donald cakes out there....the pickings are slim, slim I tell you!!!!:scared:

I am going to give it a couple weeks then call back and try to provide more guidance I am :worried: that it won't be awesome (even though I went fondant at LurkyLoo's recommendation for getting an awesome cake).

I guess whether the cake is all I dream of or not I am an awesome wife.:rotfl2:

Do you guys think 3 weeks is too early to order? I will be busy the wkend our 2 weeks hits.

Not too early. :thumbsup2

We're eating at Cape May just because my DH wanted all he could eat crab for his bday.

I really expected to find more decent Donald cakes out there....the pickings are slim, slim I tell you!!!!:scared:

I am going to give it a couple weeks then call back and try to provide more guidance I am :worried: that it won't be awesome (even though I went fondant at LurkyLoo's recommendation for getting an awesome cake).

:rotfl: That's the spirit! Y&BC does turn out good-looking fondant cakes, so I'm sure it won't be bad. It's just a shame they refuse to do the design you wanted.

Also is it normal to not be quoted a price?

The only talk of money was fondant costing $15 extra, adds that to the list of things to talk about next time I call

Just returned back from a wonderful vacation which was made even more wonderful by Chef Brian as he did a fantastic job on a cake my sister ordered for her son, my nephew.

The cake was pirate themed, with pictures from the first couple days of our vacation on the cake.

10 inch cake
Marbled cake
Butter cream icing
Cookies and Cream filling
Cost $125

This cake is AMAZING not sure if you read my post but im struggling on finding a way to celebrate my disney wedding anniversary my sone bday "my twins bday as they have never had one at Disney! where as its our other sons bday on our 1st day) and a way to say Thanks to my family for being amazing through my illness!

I think a cake themed to Halloween or something thats our favourite with family pics of bday wedding etc would be a way of celebrating them all :thumbsup2

I am far from creative, my sister looked over and over again at the cakes that had been done before and my nephew loves pirates of the Caribbean so she decided to go with that. She also picked Chef Brian because of seeing the quality of cakes he did from others posting here.

I think whatever idea you come up with Chef Brian will do an amazing job!!

Hope your cake turns out to be everything you hope for!

I don't know if this is going to help you or not, but I have really wanted to do a Donald cake or order one at WDW. My inspiration was going to be the Donald mouse ears.

6773625618_d3b2ddf5fe.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
(borrowed this pic since I don't have it in mine :( )

My thought...while quite literal...is to have the actual cake decorated the same way the hat portion of the ears are done and then have the white chocolate Donald added on top w/just some gold trim (not a big fan of painting the white choc figs). While it wouldn't be a deal breaker...I really would love it if they could use fondant, gumpaste, and/or modeling chocolate to make the Donald hat topping the mouse ears and have the Donald white chocolate topper actually standing on that. I usually like something going around a white chocolate topper like the ones Disney uses...and since it's Beach club, mini beach balls and life preservers out of fondant might also be cute if they couldn't do the mini Donald hat for him to stand on.

Sorry I don't have a pic or sketch, but this is the Donald cake idea I've been holding onto and figured maybe it could help.

I don't know if this is going to help you or not, but I have really wanted to do a Donald cake or order one at WDW. My inspiration was going to be the Donald mouse ears.

6773625618_d3b2ddf5fe.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
(borrowed this pic since I don't have it in mine :( )

My thought...while quite literal...is to have the actual cake decorated the same way the hat portion of the ears are done and then have the white chocolate Donald added on top w/just some gold trim (not a big fan of painting the white choc figs). While it wouldn't be a deal breaker...I really would love it if they could use fondant, gumpaste, and/or modeling chocolate to make the Donald hat topping the mouse ears and have the Donald white chocolate topper actually standing on that. I usually like something going around a white chocolate topper like the ones Disney uses...and since it's Beach club, mini beach balls and life preservers out of fondant might also be cute if they couldn't do the mini Donald hat for him to stand on.

Sorry I don't have a pic or sketch, but this is the Donald cake idea I've been holding onto and figured maybe it could help.

That's an outstanding idea!!!!! That would make an adorable cake.:love:

Got a call from private dining and went over my cake and I am feeling better about how it's going to turn out.

I need some help. I called the cake hotline and called the boardwalk bakery to order a mini cake or 6 inch with some decorations for my sons 2nd birthday and the girl said they couldn't' do it. I was wondering if I can order from the Grand Floridian or Yacht and Beach Club, even though I'm staying at the All-Star Sport, and pick it up from them. We just wanted the 2 tier mini cake or a 6inch decorated. Help please!!!

That's an outstanding idea!!!!! That would make an adorable cake.:love:

Got a call from private dining and went over my cake and I am feeling better about how it's going to turn out.

Yay!!! Glad you liked it. :goodvibes Definitely post pics when you come back :thumbsup2

Ok so I got the answer to my question about ordering from the resorts and picking up, that's a no. But I talked to Liz at Boardwalk and she gave me the email address to asking about ordering a cake and I have yet to receive a response back from them. I need to get this ordered since we are going next Saturday July 21st. Any advice anyone?

Just got back from Disney and here is my pink Cinderella Cake for Victoria, They did a really lovely job on it. I brought Cinderella and mice topper for the cake. It was a little smaller than I was expecting, I thought it would be a bit taller.

It was done by Grand Floridian for Park Fare Dinner. Pat was great to work with. I asked for a white cake with chocolate mousse filling in pink fondant, with drapings and bows in white mimicking Cinderella's pink dress and the birthday girl loves sparkle.

I was a little nervous but I think the end result was great! It was $66 I think. It wasn't as good as others I've seen, but I couldn't find anything I liked to go off a pictures so I think they did a great job. It tasted delicious. I knew the 6 inch was way too much for the two of us, but I really wanted a cake for her birthday and wanted it custom. Sadly at least half the cake was tossed when we had to check out of the resort 5 days later because I only had one other piece another day after forgetting about the cake in the fridge. :sad:

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

I have two questions. Has anyone gotten the zebra stripe cake from AKL recently? Has anyone had a cake at Sanaa? My daughter finishes up her college program soon, and I'm going down to help move her home. I'm going down a few days early so we can play a little, too. Our first meal is lunch at Sanaa, and I thought a zebra cake would be a great way to kick off our celebration.

I wanted to do something special for our dinner at CRT so i ordered Victoria the Slipper Dessert. She LOVED it!

I however was slightly disapointed, becase all it was was buttercream piped into the shoe. I thought it was supposed to be truffles? like little separate chocolate ball things.... it was good buttercream, (might have been the chocolate mousse. But not what I thought we were getting.

DSC_0188.jpg
[/IMG]

Last one for me!

I am Victoria's Nanny and in May I hit 4 years as Victoria's nanny. (I can't believe it's been that long!) Her parents were picking us up from Disney and had dinner at Chef Mickey, so I wanted to do something special. They are amazing bosses. They are wonderful and kind and caring all the time and heck they let me take their daughter to Disney World Twice now! V is in love with mary Poppins, so I decided that Mary Poppins had to be the theme of our cake since Mary is the most perfect nanny ever! i found two Mary Poppins themed cakes that I like and I emailed Brian to combine them together. The result was AMAZING!!! The server said she'd never seen anything like it and we had two random people come up to ask to take a picture of it.

It was a marble cake with white chocolate mousse filling and fresh strawberries.

It tasted good!. There were not enough strawberries tho, you could hardly taste them and when we started eating it wasn't until my boss said, hey a strawberry that I remembered I even ordered strawberries in it. The cake tasted good. I thought the marble cake tasted a bit dry however, but it wasn't bad, still good.

The cost was $115 which I think is a good price for what we got compared to my cake from GF. It was a 6 inch.

I should have asked for a separate bill for the cake, because I was so tired and just not sure what to do when i got the bill. I paid for dinner. I had two TS credits from V and I for dinner and I paid for the cake and dinner for my bosses. Well when you get the bill it includes the 4 meals and the cost of the cake, with the suggested tip as a whopping $50 or something like that. At first I did $40 as a $50 tip was too much and she wasn't that great of a waitress either and then as I said I was just so tired after 8 days at disney of hard walking and pushing $47 lbs in a stroller with blisters on both feet lol and not thinking clearly and was afraid I was doing it wrong so I just did the $50.

In retrospect I would have given a slightly higher tip than the recommended amount just for dinner, (Tip was usually around $10 for just V and I so I think $25 for the 4 of us would have been good) not including the cake. but I don't think I should have paid that high of a tip with them including the cake and the server getting the tip when all they did was put it on the table. Again this was COMPLETELY my fault. I'm more annoyed with myself than anything. I just didn't know what to do at that time. (What do people usually do for the tip?)

Only other thing I would have liked was red dots in the flowers on the top of the carousel rather than yellow. Brian did everything exactly as I asked. and he added the red roses which looked amazing and really finished it off.

I was silly and only took a picture of the front of the cake!

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

And this is the cake after we transported the leftovers home

DSC_0382.jpg

This is a picture in the cake gallery that will show you what the bottom looked like. with the white ruffle and red fondant with white stripes.
marypoppinsb.jpg

and this was the other picture used for inspiration, both photos taken from pics of other cakes in the cake thread.
jollyholiday1.jpg

Last one for me!

I am Victoria's Nanny and in May I hit 4 years as Victoria's nanny. (I can't believe it's been that long!) Her parents were picking us up from Disney and had dinner at Chef Mickey, so I wanted to do something special. They are amazing bosses. They are wonderful and kind and caring all the time and heck they let me take their daughter to Disney World Twice now! V is in love with mary Poppins, so I decided that Mary Poppins had to be the theme of our cake since Mary is the most perfect nanny ever! i found two Mary Poppins themed cakes that I like and I emailed Brian to combine them together. The result was AMAZING!!! The server said she'd never seen anything like it and we had two random people come up to ask to take a picture of it.

It was a marble cake with white chocolate mousse filling and fresh strawberries.

It tasted good!. There were not enough strawberries tho, you could hardly taste them and when we started eating it wasn't until my boss said, hey a strawberry that I remembered I even ordered strawberries in it. The cake tasted good. I thought the marble cake tasted a bit dry however, but it wasn't bad, still good.

I was silly and only took a picture of the front of the cake!

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

Wow!!!! Love this!!! I remember you posting the inspiration cakes a while back, but the end result is IMO far superior. They did such a great job! And the price was nice too for the product recieved. Thanks for sharing!!! :wave2:

Ok so I got the answer to my question about ordering from the resorts and picking up, that's a no. But I talked to Liz at Boardwalk and she gave me the email address to asking about ordering a cake and I have yet to receive a response back from them. I need to get this ordered since we are going next Saturday July 21st. Any advice anyone?

I'd call every day if I had to. Here''s the direct line for the pastry chef: 407-939-2393

I wanted to do something special for our dinner at CRT so i ordered Victoria the Slipper Dessert. She LOVED it!

I however was slightly disapointed, becase all it was was buttercream piped into the shoe. I thought it was supposed to be truffles? like little separate chocolate ball things.... it was good buttercream, (might have been the chocolate mousse. But not what I thought we were getting.

It's always mousse. :thumbsup2 Sometimes the GF adds truffles to the plate, but I've never seen it at CRT.

Hello all! First I would like to say thank you to LurkyLoo who seems to know a lot on this subject. I wish I had known about this thread last year when I was going through my own cake hotline issues! I think that because I am a brand-spankin' new member to DISboards, I am not yet allowed to post pics, so I will later reply with a picture of my and my husband's first anniversary cake.

I wanted a cake sent to our room at POFQ. So I was first directed to Boardwalk Bakery, after many calls with no answer, being put on hold, call dropped, redirected to Boatwright's Dining Hall, only to be redirected to Boardwalk Bakery. I was a little put off by the fact that no one seemed to be communicating among themselves before transferring my line, because each time I spoke with a new person, I had to start my story from the beginning, "Hi. I would like to order a cake sent to my room..." I was close to tears after a whole day of run around, and even though I am always polite (after all, I am asking THEM to do something for ME) my desperate frustration may have made an impression on someone because I finally got to speak with someone at the bakery to explain what I was wanted. I had already drawn the sketch. It wasn't anything too crazy, no 3-D, or screen prints (didn't even know I could do that till a few days ago reading this board) :worried: A 6 inch chocolate cake covered in white fondant with a flat Mickey head laid on top, with his red signature shorts and yellow buttons on the bottom half of the Mickey head, and Minnie Ears with a red bow between her ears. On the side of the cake, I asked for yellow, red, and black Mickey heads drawn in swirls. And of course, "Happy Anniversary" on the top with the Mickey heads. The male I spoke with at BB said no problem, he would call back with the price. Cool. So I waited for that call back. And after 2 days, I decided to call myself to see what the hold up was. Since I didn't remember the name of the male, I spoke with the female who answered and described the cake I ordered so she could locate it on their order list, and give me the price. Well, no order for a cake with that description was to be found. Wow. :sad: I cried because I needed the cake in less than a week, and I thought all hope was lost, and I couldn't trust these folks anymore. I really wish I remember her name, that female I spoke with, because I would love to give her credit for totally turning the situation around, and restoring my trust in BB. Only hiccup was they could only do the cake as a 10". No problem, I thought - just more to eat.

The cake was delivered to our room on time, and it was EXACTLY what I asked for, and my husband and I both loved it. Only regret is that I would have liked the bottom part of the Minnie head to be red with polka dots, like on the Christmas ornaments I had seen on that trip. :scratchin It was delicious chocolate with strawberry mousse filling. Too bad it didn't last. We kept the cake in the refrigerator in our room the rest of our stay, and nibbled on it the next few days. Unfortunately, it did start to taste like what nail polish remover smells like, indicating that its days of goodness were over. The 10'' was definitely too big for just 2 people, even over the course of several days.

Lessons Learned (especially after reading this board): Have a celebration where Chef Brian can do the cake, or at GF - sounds like there is better communication with the client, higher skill level because they are able to do more elaborate work on smaller cakes, and leave a tiny bit of room for chef's decorating creativity (I may have liked a surprise or two in our cake).

To the credit of the cake hotline, pastry chef, dining rooms, it does appear from this board, that the customer service issues have improved over this last year, so I don't want my story to be any indication of how it is now.

I'm hoping next year my DH and I will celebrate our third anniversary at Disney, and over the next year, this board will give me some I ideas of what I would like to do for that!

So the latest on this cake ordering ordeal:rolleyes2

I sent two more emails form email account, a total of 3 emails form me and one form my husband. We finally heard back yesterday to my husbands email, still no response to mine. Anyway I talked with someone at Boardwalk bakery and told them I had worked with Jesse on what we were doing. i had to re-explain everything, but he went back tot he chefs and found the email on what she said she would do and how much. So I gave them my credit card, I just hope everything works out.

I was so stressed because it is my DS 2nd Birthday and we are taking him to Rainforest on Saturday for dinner to celebrate. i wanted a cake with Handy Manny, which he is so in to, and because we are doing the character lunch at hollywood and Vine on Sunday. I will post pictures of the Handy Manny Cake.

I spent a lot on cakes this year for him. $145 for cupcakes of Alvin and the chipmunks for his school and now this one, but he only turns 2 once and his such a good little guy.

Well I'll let everyone know how things go when we get back.

Well, interesting conversation with a person at AKL Private Dining. I ordered the zebra cake for our Sanaa meal. I ordered this cake many years ago and my DD loved it. At that time I was able to get a filling of custard and strawberries and they just called it a zebra stripe cake. Today, no options were given, and she kept calling it a zebra dome cake! Hummm......this could be interesting! She was very pleasant, though. :)

I just placed my order with Pat at GF! It went pretty smoothly. I ordered a 6 inch fondant with yellow cake and white chocolate mousse/strawberry filling. I asked for a Little Mermaid theme but left it up to them for the actual design. I was quoted $80 ($5 extra for the strawberries). Right around the estimate I had in my head. The only thing I'm a little worried about was when Pat was reviewing my order I cut her off (politely :) ) bc she had put down custard filling instead of the mousse. She fixed it with no problem but forgot to finish reviewing my order. I just hope everything else is ok.

Hello all! First I would like to say thank you to LurkyLoo who seems to know a lot on this subject. I wish I had known about this thread last year when I was going through my own cake hotline issues! I think that because I am a brand-spankin' new member to DISboards, I am not yet allowed to post pics, so I will later reply with a picture of my and my husband's first anniversary cake.

Thanks for sharing your story — I can't wait to see pictures! And I'm glad to know if finally all worked out for you. The crazy runaround Disney gives guests frustrated me so much that I made it my mission to create the Cake FAQ and Options By Location list to try and make sense of it all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!