Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question - my mom and I are still trying to decide on a style for my dad's birthday in June. Will Chef Brian at the Contemporary add fondant to a 6" cake? Or can he do smooth buttercream on the 8"+ cakes? We're trying to keep costs down, but we don't want a store--bought looking cake with piped swirled icing.

Quick question - my mom and I are still trying to decide on a style for my dad's birthday in June. Will Chef Brian at the Contemporary add fondant to a 6" cake? Or can he do smooth buttercream on the 8"+ cakes? We're trying to keep costs down, but we don't want a store--bought looking cake with piped swirled icing.

Yes you can get fondant on a 6 inch cake.

Yippee! I just ordered my 2nd cake for our trip in June! I will pick this one up at Boardwalk Bakery when i pick up my DS graduation cake. This time we did the vanilla 8in cake with whip cream frosting & strawberry mouse. inscribed with "20 Magical Years". Quoted $40. This was a very pleasant experience! He was super nice! I did ask what else we can do to make the cake more "magical" ,he mentioned white chocolate figures, but said a plain one would not look great on a white cake. he also mentioned a colored picture on a white chocolate stand. For $30-$40 extra I just didn't think it would be worth it (especially buying 2 cakes) He said he was adding Mickey swirls to the cake and that he would tell the girls to make the cake look "very pretty" I really can't wait to see these cakes,,,plus we will have cake for breakfast for the week! lol!

Ok,got my wall e cake ordered! Talked to George at the contemporary(very nice!). Unfortunately, they did not have the image of wall e and Eve with the fire extinguisher - it will just be wall e with it on a 2d cutout. I know it will be six inches with fondant - chocolate with the dark chocolate ganache. Besides that, I'm not sure what it will look like, lol. I can't wait to see! :) it was quoted at $89. I forgot to mention, I emailed with chef brian before calling to place the order.

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this groom's cake....

Donald%20Mouse%20Ears%20front.jpg

Donald%20Mouse%20Ears.jpg

Hello :flower3:. (Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question).
I understand that I need to order the cake I want from Boardwalk Bakery,but can someone please tell me the difference between the 6" and 8",(apart from size and cost lol..).I think I understand the 6",the buttercream this is what comes on top of most Disney cupcakes?,but will there be a filling inside the sponge,or just plain sponge?. With the 8" cake what is frosting?,and this does have a filling in the sponge,what is the 'filling'?.I really don't know the difference between frosting and buttercream.If it's no problem can someone post a picture of the 6" and 8" up for me to actually see the difference?.TIA :flower3:.x.

I understand that I need to order the cake I want from Boardwalk Bakery,but can someone please tell me the difference between the 6" and 8",(apart from size and cost lol..).I think I understand the 6",the buttercream this is what comes on top of most Disney cupcakes?,but will there be a filling inside the sponge,or just plain sponge?. With the 8" cake what is frosting?,and this does have a filling in the sponge,what is the 'filling'?.I really don't know the difference between frosting and buttercream.If it's no problem can someone post a picture of the 6" and 8" up for me to actually see the difference?.TIA :flower3:.x.

The fillings and type of frosting are what you choose on either one. The difference is otherwise just size. Frostings can be buttercream or possibly whipped cream depending on their offerings. Fillings vary by bakery as well but you have the option to choose what you want (among the offerings at that particular bakery) regardless of the size. Either size will have a fillings they are a multi layer cake. Only time there might not be a filling I would think would be in the case of a sheet cake that is only one layer.

Thank you.x.
That is what I don't understand,the 6" cake says buttercream ,the 8" cake says frosting,what is the difference between buttercream and frosting?.
  • 6-inch $23 chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream or vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream (is the buttercream inside the cake or what is spread on top and around the cake?).

• 8-inch $40 vanilla cake with white chocolate filling and frosting or chocolate cake with dark chocolate filling and frosting

I'm sorry if I am confusing you,i am confusing myself now lol.x.

Thank you.x.
That is what I don't understand,the 6" cake says buttercream ,the 8" cake says frosting,what is the difference between buttercream and frosting?.
  • 6-inch $23 chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream or vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream (is the buttercream inside the cake or what is spread on top and around the cake?).

• 8-inch $40 vanilla cake with white chocolate filling and frosting or chocolate cake with dark chocolate filling and frosting

I'm sorry if I am confusing you,i am confusing myself now lol.x.

I see frosting and buttercream used interchangeably a lot. I would assume in this case saying chocolate frosting it means buttercream. And yes the buttercream would be both inside as a filling and frosted on the outside as well.

I know this is somewhat off topic since it's not a cake made by Disney, but I'm going to attempt to make an R2D2 cake this weekend using a few 6" pans, a ball pan, rice krispie treats for the legs, and 5 lbs of fondant. I'll report how it turns out.

Does anyone have any pictures of fireworks or halloween themed cakes? I am also looking for ideas for a Snowwhite/Grumpy cake. I tried to find the cake gallery but I am not having any luck.

Of course its confusing! I'll do my best, but I use Lurky Loo's first post in this thread:
  • Mini-cake serves 2
  • 6-inch serves 5
  • 8-inch serves 8
Like previous Poster said, buttercream and frosting are used interchangeably - I love watching Cooking Shows, and 2 I've watched from the UK Best Baker, and Come Dine with me, both had a bit of a twist with language... When we make buttercream frosting it is very sweet it uses the powdered sugar (I think you may call it icing sugar in the UK?) and butter, a bit of vanilla, a bit of milk... when we "frost" a cake we use this mixture for the top, sides and center of cakes... Fondant is a "clay like" substance that they roll out to cover and smooth out a cake, my dh doesn't care for the taste, but others do... Fondant usually covers the buttercream cake and is not as sweet as the buttercream frosting...

LurkyLoo posted on page 1 a lot of information and I think this page has pictures that may be helpful to you

http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/basic-disney-cake-photos/#slipper

It looks like from pictures that there is sponge, and then some have layers of just "Frosting" or a "mousse" some mention getting fruit filling too

ETA - as I was looking through the first page for inspiration, I must've clicked to the older thread! I "liked" a post by LurkyLoo, in which she posts a picture of the difference between the mini cakes.

There is a "castle cake" that has a mini single layer cake with a White Chocolate Castle on top of the cake - (extra charge for the white chocolate figure)

Mini cake single
and a Mini Cake 2-tier that can be decorated with Mickey heads, or pink Minnie Mouse...

Last edited:
Hello! I've enjoyed the pictures on this thread and I've tried to understand the info provided, just need help applying it all to our situation. Hoping you guys can help me make decisions about my son's birthday cake this September. He will be turning 7yo. We are staying at AoA and have a late CM's breakfast reservation on the morning of his birthday, after that we will be spending the day at HS. I'm thinking a cake at CM's might be nice to use the Contemporary bakery, but then I would want to stick with a small cake so we wouldn't have left-overs to deal with. He said he wanted a Tootles cake, which surprised me as I would have guessed Cars, Star Wars, or maybe Toy Story. Anyway I'm thinking maybe a 6" cake with the 3d Jedi Mickey.?. I'm open to suggestions, his favorite color is orange. Do you recommend getting the cake at CM's or I saw something about Yacht Club bakery for AoA? We need to serve 5 and budget is preferable under $100, but I love fancy decorated cakes so I'd consider more for something special.

Of course its confusing! I'll do my best, but I use Lurky Loo's first post in this thread:
  • Mini-cake serves 2
  • 6-inch serves 5
  • 8-inch serves 8
Like previous Poster said, buttercream and frosting are used interchangeably - I love watching Cooking Shows, and 2 I've watched from the UK Best Baker, and Come Dine with me, both had a bit of a twist with language... When we make buttercream frosting it is very sweet it uses the powdered sugar (I think you may call it icing sugar in the UK?) and butter, a bit of vanilla, a bit of milk... when we "frost" a cake we use this mixture for the top, sides and center of cakes... Fondant is a "clay like" substance that they roll out to cover and smooth out a cake, my dh doesn't care for the taste, but others do... Fondant usually covers the buttercream cake and is not as sweet as the buttercream frosting...

LurkyLoo posted on page 1 a lot of information and I think this page has pictures that may be helpful to you

http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/basic-disney-cake-photos/#slipper

It looks like from pictures that there is sponge, and then some have layers of just "Frosting" or a "mousse" some mention getting fruit filling too

ETA - as I was looking through the first page for inspiration, I must've clicked to the older thread! I "liked" a post by LurkyLoo, in which she posts a picture of the difference between the mini cakes.

There is a "castle cake" that has a mini single layer cake with a White Chocolate Castle on top of the cake - (extra charge for the white chocolate figure)

Mini cake single
and a Mini Cake 2-tier that can be decorated with Mickey heads, or pink Minnie Mouse...

Thank you :worship:,so buttercream and frosting are the 'same' thing?.buttercream is inside the cake and the same buttercream that is then spread on top and sides of the cake is called frosting,but is the same thing.I make buttercream as I am an avid baker(I love come dine with me by the way)and yes we call it icing sugar,and what you have described is exactly how I make my buttercream.It's just the way it was written on the first page was making me think that buttercream and frosting were 2 different mixtures/toppings.I am not keen on fondant,thats like our royal icing and we don't like that.x.

Last edited:
Buttercream is a type of frosting but you can also have other types of frosting in the baking world such as swiss meringue buttercream, whipped cream frosting and even ganache could be considered frosting I guess. But I agree with pp that what you refered as frosting is probably synonymous to classic buttercream frosting.

Buttercream is a type of frosting but you can also have other types of frosting in the baking world such as swiss meringue buttercream, whipped cream frosting and even ganache could be considered frosting I guess. But I agree with pp that what you refered as frosting is probably synonymous to classic buttercream frosting.

Thanks,swiss meringue buttercream sounds delish,how would that be made?.x.

Thank you :worship:,so buttercream and frosting are the 'same' thing?.buttercream is inside the cake and the same buttercream that is then spread on top and sides of the cake is called frosting,but is the same thing.I make buttercream as I am an avid baker(I love come dine with me by the way)and yes we call it icing sugar,and what you have described is exactly how I make my buttercream.It's just the way it was written on the first page was making me think that buttercream and frosting were 2 different mixtures/toppings.I am not keen on fondant,thats like our royal icing and we don't like that.x.

I noticed on page one you may also have an option of "mousse" for a filling. A Strawberry mousse they may take heavy cream whip it up and add jam or fresh berries. A chocolate mousse would be heavy cream, and some kind of melted chocolate whipped together. It's usually not too sweet, and light in texture also. So that may be why there is a reference to "filling". It would go between layers of "sponge" on the inside of the cake. And could be buttercream frosting or a mousse or a fruit jam? Then the outside of the cake would have the buttercream frosting, then decorations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter